Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL To conduct a mock draft as a test

They’ll most definitely use fake or made up players. Like I’m sure the selection will be be “Prospect A-1” or something. It’s just to see how it runs. I’d guess that they’ll probably up the amount of time they give a team to make a selection too 

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They’ll most definitely use fake or made up players. Like I’m sure the selection will be be “Prospect A-1” or something. It’s just to see how it runs. I’d guess that they’ll probably up the amount of time they give a team to make a selection too 

Give the NFL and Team IT squads to get ready

33 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

They'll over-think this.  Let the teams worry about their process.  All the GM has to do is use a phone to call in the pick.  Everything else is just eye candy.

That’s what I thought too. The standard process is that they call the pick in from the war room anyways. The only difference is how the pick is “turned in”, but it should be received the way it usually is.

I guess since there won’t be anyone on site as there won’t be an actual draft location that is where the confusion comes in.

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s what I thought too. The standard process is that they call the pick in from the war room anyways. The only difference is how the pick is “turned in”, but it should be received the way it usually is.

I guess since there won’t be anyone on site as there won’t be an actual draft location that is where the confusion comes in.

Yeah, they call in the pick, they call in trades, and they call the drafted players. The actual function of the draft will basically be the same. 

This whole doing it electronically thing doesn't seem like it will be very difficult.  

I think the biggest difference is you arn't going to see the players on stage.  They might have some cameras in their living rooms but even then instead of being surrounded by all their friends and family they will probably only have immediate family around with everyone else blowing up their phone with congrats after the pick comes in.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

This whole doing it electronically thing doesn't seem like it will be very difficult.  

I think the biggest difference is you arn't going to see the players on stage.  They might have some cameras in their living rooms but even then instead of being surrounded by all their friends and family they will probably only have immediate family around with everyone else blowing up their phone with congrats after the pick comes in.

That's fine with me, I think the whole process of them coming to the stage and posing with Goodell and the Jersey, etc... Is boring anyway. IMO they could leave the stage out every year, the home footage is/will be much more entertaining. 

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

They have over 50 players that will be participating in it.

14 hours ago, esmort said:

That's fine with me, I think the whole process of them coming to the stage and posing with Goodell and the Jersey, etc... Is boring anyway. IMO they could leave the stage out every year, the home footage is/will be much more entertaining. 

It could be very entertaining.... hopefully Bill O'Brian has like 5 screaming toddler grand kids and 3 Jack Russell terriers stampeding around the house when its their turn to pick....that is, if they even have any picks left. :funny:

On 4/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, Superman said:

Yeah, they call in the pick, they call in trades, and they call the drafted players. The actual function of the draft will basically be the same. 

Well, yeah, but how a team actually decides on the pick will be completely different IF (and this is my assumption) each team's draft staff will be in different locations - meaning, none of them will be in the war room?  If that assumption is correct then teams have to figure out how they are going to reach other GM's and how the called GM is going to reach their staff to figure out trades, salary caps, etc.  It's easy to figure out in theory, but getting it done technically always brings out a few bugs during testing.  They don't want to look half-___ on draft night.

If they're all going to be in their war rooms then, yeah, not much is changed.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, esmort said:

Honestly I'm just wondering/hoping maybe this process will go a little quicker, especially on days 2 and 3.  I get frustrated because on day 3 they are announcing the picks like 4 or 5 picks behind the draft board.

There is lots of good stuff on Ian Rappaports twitter on the draft. Mock draft next week. IT teams have finished everything in the homes. Goodell will be out of his basement. When he announces the pick there will be virtual fans. Maybe he will still get booed lol. There will be a separate line for trades. Go to his twitter. Lots of good stuff. There are actually back up plans also in case internets fail. Each player is asked to not have more then 6 people in the picture when they go live to them. This is going to be interesting and kind of fun.

Archived