Indianapolis Colts
twfish

Who was your most beloved non 1st overall pick

Did a post not to long ago about the most hated no let's talk about the most loved. This still has no reflection on how the player produced it is that initial reaction when they were drafted.

For me with Ballard it was Marlon Mack, I remember watching his game tape prior and all the media pundits talking about how much of a sleeper her was and was super excited when we got him. 

Grigson picks it was probably when we drafted Donte Moncreif, I really liked him at Ole Miss and I remember telling my buddy at training camp he was going to be a stud. A close second though would be Josh Robinson, I loved the way he ran, his story, just everything about him i had such high hopes for him.

Anthony Walker. Had a good feeling about him when I read his scouting reports.  Was probably too excited that we chose him.

At the time I was pretty stoked when Parris Campbell was drafted. 

• Like 3

Brandon Burlsworth, loved his story in college from walk on to 1st team All American lineman and living in SEC country saw him quite a bit. Figured he would be a mainstay on the O line for years to come.....11 days after being drafted tragically killed in a car accident with a semi tractor trailer. I'm convinced to this day the kid would have been a multi time pro bower for us. 

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

At the time I was pretty stoked when Parris Campbell was drafted. 

I loved Parris Campbell too... 

Same with Okereke and Tell... and Mack...

I was one of the people who was highest on Darius Leonard here...

But also loved Cain. So :dunno:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Brandon Burlsworth, loved his story in college from walk on to 1st team All American lineman and living in SEC country saw him quite a bit. Figured he would be a mainstay on the O line for years to come.....11 days after being drafted tragically killed in a car accident with a semi tractor trailer. I'm convinced to this day the kid would have been a multi time pro bower for us. 

Did you see the movie about him?  If so is it good?

"Greater" havent seen it yet, didnt last in theaters long and not on netflix or tubi. ESPN documentary short was very good, his brother comments were sad to watch.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Did a post not to long ago about the most hated no let's talk about the most loved. This still has no reflection on how the player produced it is that initial reaction when they were drafted.

For me with Ballard it was Marlon Mack, I remember watching his game tape prior and all the media pundits talking about how much of a sleeper her was and was super excited when we got him. 

Grigson picks it was probably when we drafted Donte Moncreif, I really liked him at Ole Miss and I remember telling my buddy at training camp he was going to be a stud. A close second though would be Josh Robinson, I loved the way he ran, his story, just everything about him i had such high hopes for him.

I liked Moncreif so much that I bought his jersey when it came out. Wasted fabric grrrrrr

• Like 2

Quincy Wilson....I'm not kidding.

And Darius Leonard.

50 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

"Greater" havent seen it yet, didnt last in theaters long and not on netflix or tubi. ESPN documentary short was very good, his brother comments were sad to watch.

Just found it on Hulu

Favorite non-1st player picked?

If it was favorite non-first round player, it would have been Bob Sanders.  (2004 draft, 2nd round, 44th overall, but was the first player the Colts picked.)

Favorite non-first player picked is Pat Angerer.  (2010 draft, 2nd round, 63rd overall, 2nd pick after Jerry Hughes.)

I own jerseys for both players.

• Like 2

My favorite non drafted player was Jeff Saturday.  Now there is a great story. :hat:

• Like 3

At the time it happened: Marlon Mack. He was THE guy I wanted around that time. So I was hyped.

In hindsight?: T.Y. Hilton, Robert Mathis... I'm sure that list can go on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

If it was favorite non-first round player, it would have been Bob Sanders.  (2004 draft, 2nd round, 44th overall, but was the first player the Colts picked.)

Favorite non-first player picked is Pat Angerer.  (2010 draft, 2nd round, 63rd overall, 2nd pick after Jerry Hughes.)

Bob was the man!

Bob Sanders. He pretty much pushed us to our first championship in 37 years.

What an awesome player.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Bob Sanders is my fav Colt player off all time

Just finished up "Greater" excellent movie, really captured the essence that was Burlsworth, simply had more heart,work ethic and dedication than those around him making him into a great player. Some may find the film a tad preachy or religious though I am not a regular church goer and dint find it that way at all (Any time a young life is lost unexpectedly I think many close to them may look to find a reason why).   Some Colts related things (Coaches,sites,etc...) appear close to the ending.

11 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I just rechecked netflix is it is actually on there now too, Ill have to go view it.

Think it is also available via Amazon Prime Video for free, at least in England.

For me it is Mike Peterson, second round of the '99 draft. I bought a Peterson jersey in August of '99 before he had even played a game. Polians biggest gaffe here was letting Peterson go after 4 years. Still don't understand that move!

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My favorite non drafted player was Jeff Saturday.  Now there is a great story. :hat:

Me too crazycolt! I miss that guy!

• Like 1

Previously selected bob sanders, forgot that while picked in the second round, he was our first pick in that draft.

Sooooo, TY. 

He's been awesome the entire time he's been here.

Saturday definitely among our best undrafted another that comes to mind is Gary Brackett 86 starts with 521 tackles didnt get a ton of highlights but did his job well year in and year out.

22 hours ago, Matabix said:

Nobody has said Mathis yet?

OMG. Of course. Mathis. Hell. Dud's going to be in the hall of fame.

Good call.

Another Vote for Bob Sanders here, with Robert Mathis and T.Y.  coming in 2nd and 3rd.