Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers 4 Ints vs Chiefs

coltsfeva

The first pick was really more like a fumble than INT.  The play of #79 was atrocious in that highlight, and it didn't help that he was going up against a solid KC front 4.

The second pick, he was baited almost perfectly by Mattheiu who is very good at doing that... but IMO that was the worst pick he threw.

The 3rd pick he was just half a yard shy of having that be completed.  I don't think his WR put up a very good fight to break that play up (i.e., I think someone like TY would've just made that become an incompletion rather than an INT).  

The 4th pick may not have been a great throw, but Ekeler could've done a better job of positioning himself, IMO.  

Four picks in a game is too much for any QB... but it is very obvious from that video that he was not getting time to throw.  He'll get that here, assuming our OL stays healthy.   It looks like he still has plenty of arm strength and zip on his passes.  Hopefully we give him another WR or 2 and a legit receiving TE and I imagine he'll do just fine with an improved OL and running game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard who the new Colts quarterback is. I don’t get this at all. Reich wants Rivers, Ariana wants Brady, Peyton doesn’t want Brees but he’s still the starter over the 2 better quarterbacks. I don’t know what Lefleur wants lol! 

I don’t know if this is an upgrade over JB. It dang sure is the 1 thing JB wasn’t though. Rivers will never give up on a play, and when the play ending becomes a possibility he’s goin deeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll be rooting for him that’s for sure. The Colts always have the coolest quarterbacks lol! When Rivers is done whose next Baker Mayfield?

Rivers will be good enough to get us to the playoffs but ultimately much more talented quarterbacks will beat us in the playoffs. Unless we can really pound the ball, but I wouldn't bet on Rivers suddenly delivering in the playoffs.

PS: I know I'm pessimistic about this but never been a fan of Rivers.

7 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just heard who the new Colts quarterback is. I don’t get this at all. Reich wants Rivers, Ariana wants Brady, Peyton doesn’t want Brees but he’s still the starter over the 2 better quarterbacks. I don’t know what Lefleur wants lol! 

I don’t know if this is an upgrade over JB. It dang sure is the 1 thing JB wasn’t though. Rivers will never give up on a play, and when the play ending becomes a possibility he’s goin deeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll be rooting for him that’s for sure. The Colts always have the coolest quarterbacks lol! When Rivers is done whose next Baker Mayfield?

Mayfield no....Rodgers yes.

8 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Brees is easily the best QB on his team.    Not sure what you watch.    

Rivers is a major upgrade over JB.  Not even close.  

I watched his last game where Hill burned the Vikings for a TD then Brees threw an INT on the same play because he hasn’t been able to go deep for the last 5 years, then I watched him fumble without being touched when the Vikings were trying to do what they do in big games and just give it away. And we all know what happened with Teddy.

Rivers was trash last year. I love the * out of the guy and career wise he’s underrated but unless he’s about to have some kind of Favre or Peyton bounce back year this is going to be a disaster imo.

Who knows? You could be right. I will say this. Having followed him since high school, he's going to have to do the best job he's ever done at wiping some things out of his mind this year. Because much of what has caused his bad plays over the years has been his understanding of just how limited a lot of his teammates were. And as that built up over time, some of it became habit, so that at times he would make a bad play because he "thought" a teammate was going to lose his battle on the play, but didn't, and he reacted incorrectly as a result.

But this is a completely new situation. And he needs to do his best to go into it with as clean a slate in his head as he can. That isn't easy to do, especially in the quick-react environment an NFL quarterback's job is performed in. So to me, it's got virtually zero to do with his age, physical state, or past results, none of which is going to be a hindrance to his play going forward. No, what happens going forward is going to be determined almost entirely by how much he's able to react to the teammates he has around him now, and forget about how poorly his past teammates would have performed in the same situations in the past.

He does that most/all of the time, and I think a LOT of people are going to be shaking their heads at what they see. If he doesn't do it well enough, then those same people are going to be saying, "I told you so". We shall see...

14 minutes ago, ColtUp said:

I so disagree, 2018 at Pitt shows me different, 2018 at KC shows me different, 2018 at Baltimore (in playoffs) shows me different, (even the 2nd half of the Patriots playoff game put up 21 second half points to their 6 second half points), those were the days.

Rivers will play at an MVP level this year, love that Ballard drafted players that will help him out, love the Taylor draft pick!

I don't share your enthusiasm. At all. Yet.

I think PR is played out, tired, done. I will remain open to a different reality once the season starts. At the moment, I think we go 9-7 this year. A +2 wins for having Buckner.

11 hours ago, ColtUp said:

I so disagree, 2018 at Pitt shows me different, 2018 at KC shows me different, 2018 at Baltimore (in playoffs) shows me different, (even the 2nd half of the Patriots playoff game put up 21 second half points to their 6 second half points), those were the days.

Rivers will play at an MVP level this year, love that Ballard drafted players that will help him out, love the Taylor draft pick!

I love the draft and what Ballard has done. I just think, frankly that Rivers is a choker. Don't like to use it but it is what it is. But believe me, hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, ColtUp said:

Call him a choker if you want, but he drove his team in KC for a win behind, NYG behind, etc. etc. etc., did you know that Michael Jordan missed more game winning shots than made?  Is he a choker as well?  

Okay, interesting argument since Rivers never even sniffed at a ring. All I'm saying is that I don't see why he would suddenly deliver in the playoffs.

Archived