Indianapolis Colts
coltsfeva

Rivers 4 Ints vs Chiefs

Tried to find “every Rivers int for 2019.

I’m curious to know how many of the four Ints in this game would you put on Rivers?

How are the feeling about getting him this year?

“Stay safe, keep the faith!”

Using the Brissett Standard

1: Didn't get rid of the ball fast enough.  Gotta get that out of your hands faster.

2: There were at least 2 open receivers that he completely failed to see and instead forced a throw to the guy in coverage

3: Gets spooked by the rush on the blind side and throws a wounded duck that a 6 year old could have intercepted

4: Absolutely clean pocket.  They were only down 7 with 4 minutes to play.  Why are you going that deep out of a clean pocket with 2 guys wide open past the yellow line?

Using the Common Sense Standard

1: #25 missed his blocking assignment, should have been doubling with #79 to block the edge rusher

2: #79 was again overpowered, forcing Rivers to make a hasty throw, and the DB was baiting the throw and ready to jump the lain, which Rivers didn't have time to spot before he had to get the ball out of his hand.  More "good defense" than "bad offense" there IMHO.  Again, the running back is trying to get open when he should be helping his left guard.

3: #79 had a lot more to do with that pick than Rivers did, once again getting completely overpowered and forcing a hasty throw.  Again, at this point I have to blame the OC, #79 clearly needs help and just as clearly isn't getting it. 

4: Left Guard is finally getting help, running back (not #25, he seems to have been benched) stays in to block, and the pocket stays clean enough that Rivers has a good opportunity to throw.  He makes a bad decision, trying to do too much with open guys for shorter throws and gets picked. 

This is the first one I can say is 100% on Rivers.  There's no reason to make that throw, what you need to do in that situation is march down the field, the defense is going to concentrate on not letting you have exactly that throw, leaving open men in shorter distances.  This is basically Tom Brady's strategy in every close and late situation, but as is rather painfully obvious, Rivers is no Brady.

Once again spotlight on #25 who is absolutely not even trying to be a running back in this formation.  He takes a worthless position again and again, then breaks late to get open while the left guard is getting bull rushed, he is doing nothing useful while the pocket falls apart.

At this point any competent head coach would be tearing #25 a new one in the film room, he NEEDS to be helping the left guard!

• Like 5

Rivers defeats Chiefs in 2018 at KC with a huge comeback and 2 point conversion. Mahomes and the Chiefs were 100% healthy.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers defeats Chiefs in 2018 at KC with a huge comeback and 2 point conversion. Mahomes and the Chiefs were 100% healthy.

I don't think that's the question at hand at the moment.  He's trying to get us to analyze and separate the facts from the potential for hysteria.  At least that's how I interpret it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don't think that's the question at hand at the moment.  He's trying to get us to analyze and separate the facts from the potential for hysteria.  At least that's how I interpret it.

Maybe not but 4 INT's vs the Chiefs looks bad for a title so I wanted to let everyone he beat the Chiefs as well in 2018. Rivers still has game, watch and see. 

• Like 3

First INT was more of a fumble than an INT.  

Next 2 were alright throws.  WR could’ve done a bit more to fight, but still Blame part on rivers. 

The 4th INT was 100% on him.  He threw a jump ball to a 5’9” Ekeler when he has Mike Williams on the team.  I’m the biggest Rivers defender, but this was just one of his stupid throws.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe not but 4 INT's vs the Chiefs looks bad for a title so I wanted to let everyone he beat the Chiefs as well in 2018. Rivers still has game, watch and see. 

It’s 2020.. that was two years ago

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

It’s 2020.. that was two years ago

I still think he has game, JMO. Not sure your opinion on him? People point to his age but for a QB 38 isn't old in today's game. Brees and Brady are playing into the 40's and are still good. Peyton was almost 40 when he retired. I don't get the whole his arm is shot thing. Her threw for 4600 yards and completed 66% of his passes last year. I think with a better O.Line his INT's will come down a little. 20 is a lot but Winston threw 30 and some in here wanted Winston.

• Like 2

Watching that video gives me the hebee jeebies.  This man looks like a walking turnover.  That is one thing that I hate to see in a QB which is why I wasn’t a fan of signing him.  There will be a lot of excuses to be made for him next season I’m sure.  I really hope Reich can calm him down on the turnovers. Yikes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s not act like we’ve never seen Peyton or Andrew make some terrible throws or bad decisions. Let’s just see how things go before the doom and gloom posters lose it over this. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Let’s not act like we’ve never seen Peyton or Andrew make some terrible throws or bad decisions. Let’s just see how things go before the doom and gloom posters lose it over this. 

I know, Luck had 18 INT's in his rookie season and we still won 11 games. Rivers threw just 2 more last season. I keep telling people the Chargers had a bad O.Line, we don't which will help Rivers a lot.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Tried to find “every Rivers int for 2019.

I’m curious to know how many of the four Ints in this game would you put on Rivers?

How are the feeling about getting him this year?

“Stay safe, keep the faith!”

If we were to get Peyton Manning & I showed you his 6 interception game vs the Chargers, how would you feel?  I’m hoping ecstatic because your getting Peyton Freakin Manning & same goes here with Phillip Freakin Rivers.  Lets all get over the INT’S because crap happens and doesn’t define you.  I mean P had 6 INTS in one game but he is LEGEND!  

• Like 3

Peyton threw 28 INT's and we went 3-13 his rookie season. Imagine how many people in here would've wanted him gone. I wasn't sure he would be any good either because he was bad his rookie season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Watching that video gives me the hebee jeebies.  This man looks like a walking turnover.  That is one thing that I hate to see in a QB which is why I wasn’t a fan of signing him.  There will be a lot of excuses to be made for him next season I’m sure.  I really hope Reich can calm him down on the turnovers. Yikes! 

Look at his historical stats.  2019’s Oline was a bag of garbage covered in diarrhea.  Any QB would’ve struggled behind them.  10 of his turnovers came in 3 games.  He’ll be much better behind that Colts Oline. 

I just watched that game on nfl network the other night. The one thing that stood out to me was how bad the left tackle was(#79) he couldn't block anyone at any time. Remember in 2018 when Clark played left tackle before Costanzo got back on the field and we went 1-3 in those 4 games? And even though I am not a fan of Clark at all he is much better than #79 of the Chargers.

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Using the Brissett Standard

1: Didn't get rid of the ball fast enough.  Gotta get that out of your hands faster.

2: There were at least 2 open receivers that he completely failed to see and instead forced a throw to the guy in coverage

3: Gets spooked by the rush on the blind side and throws a wounded duck that a 6 year old could have intercepted

4: Absolutely clean pocket.  They were only down 7 with 4 minutes to play.  Why are you going that deep out of a clean pocket with 2 guys wide open past the yellow line?

Using the Common Sense Standard

1: #25 missed his blocking assignment, should have been doubling with #79 to block the edge rusher

2: #79 was again overpowered, forcing Rivers to make a hasty throw, and the DB was baiting the throw and ready to jump the lain, which Rivers didn't have time to spot before he had to get the ball out of his hand.  More "good defense" than "bad offense" there IMHO.  Again, the running back is trying to get open when he should be helping his left guard.

3: #79 had a lot more to do with that pick than Rivers did, once again getting completely overpowered and forcing a hasty throw.  Again, at this point I have to blame the OC, #79 clearly needs help and just as clearly isn't getting it. 

4: Left Guard is finally getting help, running back (not #25, he seems to have been benched) stays in to block, and the pocket stays clean enough that Rivers has a good opportunity to throw.  He makes a bad decision, trying to do too much with open guys for shorter throws and gets picked. 

This is the first one I can say is 100% on Rivers.  There's no reason to make that throw, what you need to do in that situation is march down the field, the defense is going to concentrate on not letting you have exactly that throw, leaving open men in shorter distances.  This is basically Tom Brady's strategy in every close and late situation, but as is rather painfully obvious, Rivers is no Brady.

Once again spotlight on #25 who is absolutely not even trying to be a running back in this formation.  He takes a worthless position again and again, then breaks late to get open while the left guard is getting bull rushed, he is doing nothing useful while the pocket falls apart.

At this point any competent head coach would be tearing #25 a new one in the film room, he NEEDS to be helping the left guard!

Without watching the clip, this seems like a solid breakdown. 

Keep posting, years ago this forum was mainly posts like this one and then the discussions revolved more around where #25 should have really been helping the guard (this is a for example, not saying you are wrong), so players were dissected and I know I learned a lot during those discussions.  Now the bulk of the threads are either knee jerk reactions (positive or negative) or posters acting like they know more than the coaches and FO on what needs to be done.

Thanks @Imgrandojji for this breakdown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing I noticed that's interesting in both the second interceptions.  Especially if you pause the video at 0:11, the center is in an absolutely useless position.

The Chiefs seem to be fully committing to rushing around the edge, leaving the center sitting there on an island.  He really needs to commit to the weak side and allow the left tackle to pass his man off and help the left guard.  There is 0 reason for the center to still be standing there.  The Bolts' OC and offensive line coach needs to be teaching his players how to shift with the defense.  The Chiefs DC have figured out how to neutralize the center and the OC needs to respond.  And yet on the following play in the reel the center is still standing there after the snap not sure what to do.  Not a good look on the OC.

On the third pick (which I originally thought was the 4th), the OC has made an adjustment and had the center proactively engage the man trying to engage the left guard, allowing the guard to give some help to the tackle.  That's the correct response to what the Chiefs D is doing and gives Rivers a clean pocket.

On the actual 4th interception Rivers clearly has no faith in #79, hears that edge rusher behind him with only 79 back there to stop him, and reacts based on that.  Rivers actually has more time than he thinks he has because #79 has actually managed to win the 1 on 1 for once, force the rush out wide and buy his QB some time.  But Rivers can't see this, and simply does not believe in #79's ability to protect him in a 1 on 1 situation

so he makes a rushed throw anyway despite #79 winning his assignment, and as a result the ball is out of his hands  before the WR have had a chance to finish their route.  And because he's expecting a hit he throws an absolute lollipop throw.  That's a recipe for the old I N T.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

Look at his historical stats.  2019’s Oline was a bag of garbage covered in diarrhea.  Any QB would’ve struggled behind them.  10 of his turnovers came in 3 games.  He’ll be much better behind that Colts Oline. 

I sincerely hope so.  But I'm concerned.

People comparing Int totals from young QBs vs. a guy fighting off the Grim Reaper. Whatever your thoughts are on Rivers, that isn’t a good faith argument. 

15 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

If we were to get Peyton Manning & I showed you his 6 interception game vs the Chargers, how would you feel?  I’m hoping ecstatic because your getting Peyton Freakin Manning & same goes here with Phillip Freakin Rivers.  Lets all get over the INT’S because crap happens and doesn’t define you.  I mean P had 6 INTS in one game but he is LEGEND!  

I agree with you: I’m actually glad we’re getting Rivers to start over Brissett. I didn’t mean to condemn Rivers but rather, make the point that all of his interceptions may not be his fault. I’m sure the coaching staff looked at his interceptions, to truly assess what happened. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derakynn said:

People comparing Int totals from young QBs vs. a guy fighting off the Grim Reaper. Whatever your thoughts are on Rivers, that isn’t a good faith argument. 

That's true.  The bottom line here is that we're hoping to get Rivers in his prime, not young underdeveloped Peyton who was thrown into the fire between 8-12 months too soon.

57 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:
3 hours ago, Derakynn said:

That's true.  The bottom line here is that we're hoping to get Rivers in his prime, not young underdeveloped Peyton who was thrown into the fire between 8-12 months too soon.

Good point, but INT totals aside, we also hope we're not throwing Rivers into the ideal situation 2-3 years too late.

Why are you evaluating the past. This has nothing to do with anything. Those who dwell in the past stay there. Rivers never had a line like the one he's about to play behind. He will light it up this year. Enough said

• Like 3

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree with you: I’m actually glad we’re getting Rivers to start over Brissett. I didn’t mean to condemn Rivers but rather, make the point that all of his interceptions may not be his fault. I’m sure the coaching staff looked at his interceptions, to truly assess what happened. 

Just taking the stat numbers of a QB is not totally fair to a QB. 

How many of those interceptions were his fault?

Was it tipped passes? 

Was it bad route running? 

Was it the QB who was way behind in the game and had to put the ball in the air too much?

How many were just great plays by the defense?  That is something a lot of fans don't care to look at. They don't want to give credit to great defensive play when one is made against us. They would rather point a finger at one of our players and make an issue of it. 

That is more than likely what Reich/Ballard were looking at as you said. 

• Like 2

Thank goodness that i can once again breathe a sigh of relief that we ONCE again have a solid QB!!!  Anyone think about what potentially could be a break out yr for Marlon Mack with a REAL QB?  How about Hines and the dump offs?  What if we draft Cole Kmet and Chase Claypool?  Mark my words, Rivers will be an MVP candidate in 2020!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I sincerely hope so.  But I'm concerned.

I get why people are concerned.  But from someone who has watched him play every game since 07, he has alway put up solid numbers even with bad Oline.  The last time he has a solid Oline was 2009.  He’s been playing behind a garbage Oline since 2010, and still putting up top tier numbers.  Last year the Oline was plagued with injuries, and awful.  Pair that with a 28th ranked run game and you got a recipe for a cruddy QB.  I’d imagine him playing behind this Oline, with an actual run game, you are going to see much better stats. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Peyton Manning once threw 6 INT's in a game in 2007 at SD. He was a vet coming off a SB win. I think the people pointing to 1 or 2 games bad games Rivers has had are the people that just don't like this signing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton Manning once threw 6 INT's in a game in 2007 at SD. He was a vet coming off a SB win. I think the people pointing to 1 or 2 games bad games Rivers has had are the people that just don't like this signing. 

Good post!   Heckuva good post!

:colts:

• Thanks 1

I think a change will do him some good in this scenario.

4 hours ago, ColtUp said:

Actually as a Chargers fan I remember that game well and Manning did Not throw 6 INT's in that game.

He threw 7!!!!!!!

If I remember correctly, one did not count because of a defensive penalty.

Even with that, the Colts were a missed 29 yard FG from winning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, SpanosSucks said:

First INT was more of a fumble than an INT.  

Next 2 were alright throws.  WR could’ve done a bit more to fight, but still Blame part on rivers. 

The 4th INT was 100% on him.  He threw a jump ball to a 5’9” Ekeler when he has Mike Williams on the team.  I’m the biggest Rivers defender, but this was just one of his stupid throws.  

We used to have a guy that threw quite a few of those. 

On 4/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think he has game, JMO. Not sure your opinion on him? People point to his age but for a QB 38 isn't old in today's game. Brees and Brady are playing into the 40's and are still good. Peyton was almost 40 when he retired. I don't get the whole his arm is shot thing. Her threw for 4600 yards and completed 66% of his passes last year. I think with a better O.Line his INT's will come down a little. 20 is a lot but Winston threw 30 and some in here wanted Winston.

Haha just give you crap! Yeah I think he will be better then brissett at least that’s my opinion. He will actually take chances down field which will make me happy. Hoping he can bring home that through for us. That will be the ultimate fu to the chargers!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtUp said:

He had 7, I think you are correct to where it would have been 8.

Why do people do this?

From Pro Football Reference

ProFootballReference.jpg.04d8160dc853c48c2ae7645a709db878.jpg

From NFL.com

NFL_com.jpg.3734e075ee5c8771ca95f86491aaca33.jpg

Most people think he threw 6 INT and then another as the desperation heave at the end of the game, but it was 5 INTs and a 6th at the end of the game

image.png

Really misinformed topic .Terrible Oline terrible Defense stops are the story of the game in question .But let’s discuss fit ....A WR with elite speed and seperation with great hands is what is needed for Rivers .A above average Oline is needed for a pure pocket passer like Rivers .A defense that can get stops in crunch time are all ways to win 12 games this year with this ELITE QB .He is by far better than the forum is coloring him to be .How about you pull 100 percent for this man and what attributes he does very well .The Oline was horrifying in Sandiego and LA for over a decade bottom of the barrel last year the worst in Football .

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If I remember correctly, one did not count because of a defensive penalty.

Even with that, the Colts were a missed 29 yard FG from winning

The headlines I remember was “Pick 6” but watching that game live the part that hurt the worse was missing a 29yd fg to take the lead!!!  Can’t remember if it was shank Vanderjagt or shank Vinatieri?  Anyways, to throw 6 picks and game come down to a kicker has me SMH.  I’m tired of losing games to a damn kicker

12 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

The headlines I remember was “Pick 6” but watching that game live the part that hurt the worse was missing a 29yd fg to take the lead!!!  Can’t remember if it was shank Vanderjagt or shank Vinatieri?  Anyways, to throw 6 picks and game come down to a kicker has me SMH.  I’m tired of losing games to a damn kicker

2007, I would have to look but I think it was AV.  I thought the Colts signed him in 2006.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

2007, I would have to look but I think it was AV.  I thought the Colts signed him in 2006.

I thought so too but didn’t want to beat a dead horse and get fired up all over again.  Please just retire old friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

It was Adam Vinatieri, on a rain slicked field – it had poured at a point during the game. The rain wreaked havoc on both teams: that ball slipped out of Philip’s hand at his own 8 yard line, and it was recovered in the end zone for a touchdown by Gary Brackett. Three of those 6 interceptions were made by Antonio Cromartie, one of them was an insane 1 handed catch.

2099775759_8030bea99c.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:21 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton threw 28 INT's and we went 3-13 his rookie season. Imagine how many people in here would've wanted him gone. I wasn't sure he would be any good either because he was bad his rookie season.

It was his rookie season, had he still been doing that in years 6-12 the Colts would have never been a serious super bowl contender

Fun Fact of the Day:  7 of Rivers 20 INTS in 2019 came in the final 5 minutes of the 4th qtr when his team trailed!  With the worst tackle play in the league and a lack of running game, its no coincidence that teams pinned their ears back and rushed Rivers into mistakes.  For comparison, in 2018 Rivers had only one INT in the last 5 min of a game and finished 12-4.  I read & seen enough in this league to believe that Rivers will make the entire NFL look stupid for calling him washed up.  Believe what you want but hopefully after you read enough facts that you too will come to love 17.  If not, I give it 1 game before you do :)!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1