Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If 2020 Is Cancelled Describe The 2021 Draft

King Colt

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

If the 2020 season is cancelled how will the 2021 draft be structured? 

best guess is that they'll roll off the end results from 2019's season. Makes the most sense. The only other way would be a lottery where they drew teams out of a hat but I don't see the league opening that can of worms. 

The bigger question is the prospects. If the 2020 NFL season is cancelled, the NCAA season will be. So that's gonna make scouting even more difficult and risky.

All that said,  we're 5 months away from the season. If this virus thing is still ongoing by July 4th, I'll be surprised and honestly, we will have much much bigger things to worry about than the 2021 nfl draft. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

What would be interesting would be if the 2020 college football season is cancelled and the NCAA decides to give seniors an extra year of eligibility.   That would make the 2021 draft a stacked draft. 

I would guess that everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, not just the seniors.

I could see a few players going pro even with the extra eligibility.  Trevor Laurence for example probably would.  So there would probably still be a 2021 draft.  The only thing is that especially when it comes to the mid rounds it will be even more of a crap shoot than usual.  

The other issue is that if the 2020 NFL season is canceled how would they work things out when it comes to the draft order.  It's not like Cincy should deserve to pick Joe Burrow and then have the number one pick to either get Trevor Laurence and trade away the QB they don't like or simply trade down for a crap ton of picks.  

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would guess that everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, not just the seniors.

I could see a few players going pro even with the extra eligibility.  Trevor Laurence for example probably would.  So there would probably still be a 2021 draft.  The only thing is that especially when it comes to the mid rounds it will be even more of a crap shoot than usual.  

The other issue is that if the 2020 NFL season is canceled how would they work things out when it comes to the draft order.  It's not like Cincy should deserve to pick Joe Burrow and then have the number one pick to either get Trevor Laurence and trade away the QB they don't like or simply trade down for a crap ton of picks.  

Good point.   I think they would have to draw for draft positions.  

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good point.   I think they would have to draw for draft positions.  

And I'm not even a huge fan of that unless the Colts win the draw!  If the Colts win the draw I will completely forget how unfair or silly of a way that is to determine draft order (Which can make or break franchises for years.)

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

And I'm not even a huge fan of that unless the Colts win the draw!  If the Colts win the draw I will completely forget how unfair or silly of a way that is to determine draft order (Which can make or break franchises for years.)

I think it would be the most fair way of doing it.   Without a 2020 season, there would be no way to rank teams.  The Colts would have a 1/32 chance at getting the number 1 pick.  

I do think we will get to more testing and cluster isolation strategies in order to resume several activities we have been accustomed to, once the curve is somewhat flattened.

Hopefully it is sooner than later that we hit the downward trajectory, hoping for downward movement by end of April.

I still have hope for the 2020 season, in other words.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do think we will get to more testing and cluster isolation strategies in order to resume several activities we have been accustomed to, once the curve is somewhat flattened.

Hopefully it is sooner than later that we hit the downward trajectory, hoping for downward movement by end of April.

I still have hope for the 2020 season, in other words.

we'll know this week.  IF the drop in New York occurs again today, and continues this week, I think the rest of the country will soon follow suit.  

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we'll know this week.  IF the drop in New York occurs again today, and continues this week, I think the rest of the country will soon follow suit.  

Another one to add to the list of Easter prayers, for the downward curve to start. :) 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think there could be a fair way to set up a draw. The team with the #1 pick will have 32 balls in the roller and the team with the #2 pick will have 31 balls in the roller, and so on.  This would give the Colts 19 balls in the roller. The Chiefs would just have 1.

From then, it's just a matter of chance, but more fair than a 1-to-1 ratio.

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think it would be treated like the supplemental draft in terms of draft position.  You stay where you are.  Colts would have the 13th pick.

No way that would mean the Bengirls would get back to back franchise QB's.  NO way

Here in Australia, football is cancelled until the end of May.  There are suggestions that all clubs will have players and staffs moved to an area of the country where they will be isolated from the rest of the nation to play their games behind closed doors--the TV people will love that.  With 18 teams in the comp there would need to be 9 games played every weekend, which is achievable.

Ability for the NFL to do the same would be restricted by finding a location where all 32 teams could be isolated for an extended period--a place in the middle of nowhere with probably 4 football fields allowing 1 game per field each Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday ( you wouldn't need grandstands etc as no one would be allowed in to watch--just broadcast it on TV

If they cancel the entire NFL season, it will indicate that social, economical and political issues resulting from that far reaching of a decision and others like it.......will make this discussion nearly moot. 

Simply said, this social challenge....continued on in a manner that makes an Aug-Feb season unplayable, will bring about governmental/political/law enforcement changes that will make this completely unimportant. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

If they cancel the entire NFL season, it will indicate that social, economical and political issues resulting from that far reaching of a decision and others like it.......will make this discussion nearly moot. 

Simply said, this social challenge....continued on in a manner that makes an Aug-Feb season unplayable, will bring about governmental/political/law enforcement changes that will make this completely unimportant. 

In even simpler terms, if the 2020 NFL season is cancelled, it will be the absolute least of anyones concerns, because it will mean society as a whole will have crumbled.  

25 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't see how this can possibly be a "fun" or "interesting" discussion.

This topic is depressing.  Let's cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

Can we close this, please?

Which is your right to hold as an opinion.  I don't find the idea of trying to suppose what our upcoming season as football fans could entail as depressing in any way, but then, I'm not a Browns fan, so why would I? 

That said, I think if things weren't at a point of near normalcy by August, they would want to have sports seasons, need to have seasons, even on empty fields and televised, if for nothing more than a very much needed morale boost.

20 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If they draw, we all know the Patriots will draw #1 and draft Lawrence.

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Would there even be a draft if the NCAA season gets cancelled?  They could give an extra year of eligibility and just not have one

I think so yes.  The nfl rules for being draftable are a player needs to be 3 years out of high school.  The amount of time they play in college, if any, is irrelevant.    

(This is why i think the xfl has a chance.  they can get players that do not go to college)

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think so yes.  The nfl rules for being draftable are a player needs to be 3 years out of high school.  The amount of time they play in college, if any, is irrelevant.    

(This is why i think the xfl has a chance.  they can get players that do not go to college)

i mean another year of college eligibility for the seniors that didnt get to play

the nfl prospects may not even want that but im talking about all the seniors that wont make the nfl 

On 4/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, Myles said:

What would be interesting would be if the 2020 college football season is cancelled and the NCAA decides to give seniors an extra year of eligibility.   That would make the 2021 draft a stacked draft. 

The NCAA already gave athletes in Spring sports, that were cancelled, an extra year of eligibility.  I would assume they would do the same for Fall sports, however, like others have said that will probably be the least of our worries if this is still going on.  Also, it would probably be devastating financially for many college programs.

It is interesting for the Spring sports how it will effect recruiting.  Many of the incoming freshmen picked the school they picked based on the assumption that other players would be leaving, thereby giving them a better chance to play early.  What about roster limits and the amount of scholarships that a school can give?  Some incoming freshmen may end up without a scholarship that they were counting on.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:28 AM, Myles said:

What if they were cancelling the NCAA season but the NFL was still planning on playing, so they have a supplemental draft and the NCAA allows any 2020 eligible player to declare for the supplemental draft. 

Archived