Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
MikeCurtis

At This Point, We Need.....

Recommended Posts

At this point we still need:


Primary “Larger, more urgent holes”

Starting WR

Receiving  TE

Starting LDE

 

Secondary “Smaller, less urgent holes”

An OT to develop

A QB to develop

Depth on IOL

A DB or two to develop

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WR by far.

 

In this league, if you have a good QB, WR, OL, DL, the rest of the roster can take a backseat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tier 1 needs

 

CB - one year contracts for a guy trying to make a comeback isn't really a guaranteed fix

 

X WR - X is a far bigger need than Z or slot. 6-3 or bigger please. Claypool, Pittman, Higgins, Mims, etc.. 

 

Might be Tier 1 needs depending on strategy

 

QB - If they intend on keeping Rivers longer than 1 year, we're fine now. If it's TBD, then they need to draft one IF the right one falls to certain spot. 

 

DE - If they intend re-sign Houston next year, I think we're OK. If it's TBD, AND they are not confident with the development of Turay and Banogu, might need to draft one early. I'd just hate to see them use another early pick on a DE (4 in the last 3 years in rounds 2 and 3). 

 

TE - I think our biggest issue with TE last year was QB quality. I think the FO are probably happier with MAC than folks think. If not, TE could be a need early.

 

OL - We have no idea what the FO things of some of the other guys on the roster that we simply haven't seen. At some point though, this year or next, we need to address LT or T depth in general.

 

All the other positions are luxury IMO with varying degrees of need depending on how other developmental guys are doing (and we simply don't know as fans). LB, in my opinion is the only unit that clearly is fine in terms of starters and depth and needs not clear help.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Tier 1 needs

 

CB - one year contracts for a guy trying to make a comeback isn't really a guaranteed fix

 

X WR - X is a far bigger need than Z or slot. 6-3 or bigger please. Claypool, Pittman, Higgins, Mims, etc.. 

 

Might be Tier 1 needs depending on strategy

 

QB - If they intend on keeping Rivers longer than 1 year, we're fine now. If it's TBD, then they need to draft one IF the right one falls to certain spot. 

 

DE - If they intend re-sign Houston next year, I think we're OK. If it's TBD, AND they are not confident with the development of Turay and Banogu, might need to draft one early. I'd just hate to see them use another early pick on a DE (4 in the last 3 years in rounds 2 and 3). 

 

TE - I think our biggest issue with TE last year was QB quality. I think the FO are probably happier with MAC than folks think. If not, TE could be a need early.

 

OL - We have no idea what the FO things of some of the other guys on the roster that we simply haven't seen. At some point though, this year or next, we need to address LT or T depth in general.

 

All the other positions are luxury IMO with varying degrees of need depending on how other developmental guys are doing (and we simply don't know as fans). LB, in my opinion is the only unit that clearly is fine in terms of starters and depth and needs not clear help.


I’ll give you a like if you change that avatar.  I’m trying to eat!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


I’ll give you a like if you change that avatar.  I’m trying to eat!

Sorry, can't do it. I picked a winner when I chose that avatar.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


I’ll give you a like if you change that avatar.  I’m trying to eat!

Maybe @EastStreet likes boogers haha . That goes to show you Peyton couldn't do anything with the camera not being on him. If he went to bathroom he probably had to lock the doors from the media.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Life to return to normal so that there is football. Of course, more importantly, so people stop dying.

We will get back there my friend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe @EastStreet likes boogers haha . That goes to show you Peyton couldn't do anything with the camera not being on him. If he went to bathroom he probably had to lock the doors from the media.

How do you make a tissue dance? You put a boogie in it

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how a DE is more important then a QB especially with Turay and Benogu who need the reps and Buckner who can play anywhere on the line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see how a DE is more important then a QB especially with Turay and Benogu who need the reps and Buckner who can play anywhere on the line

We don’t have a starter at LDE.....

 

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

 

We have a starting QB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We don’t have a starter at LDE.....

 

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

 

We have a starting QB

 

Which is where Buckner comes in. He can play all over the line then he can kick inside and bring Turay in. We need our young pass rushers to get some experience. We don't even know if Rivers will be here past this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this point we still need:


Primary “Larger, more urgent holes”

Starting WR

Receiving  TE

Starting LDE

 

Secondary “Smaller, less urgent holes”

An OT to develop

A QB to develop

Depth on IOL

A DB or two to develop

 


IMO in order

 

1. WR

2. CB

3. OT

4. Edge Rusher

5. QB

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We don’t have a starter at LDE.....

 

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

 

We have a starting QB

You'll likely see Autry play there on running downs, and Turay play on there on passing downs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:


IMO in order

 

1. WR

2. CB

3. OT

4. Edge Rusher

5. QB

1 & 2 are nearly interchangeable. RG depth is pretty thin as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

We don’t have a starter at LDE.....

 

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

 

We have a starting QB


Sand in his pants?  Huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:


IMO in order

 

1. WR

2. CB

3. OT

4. Edge Rusher

5. QB

Agreed on wr.  I believe Hilton is a free agent after this year and going to b 31. I doubt he makes it through the season injury free.  Time to look for his replacement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

I'd bet just about anything a RB is not our first pick....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

 

What in the world would make you think that?

 

What has happened this off-season to make you come to that conclusion?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.


There is no possible way you think the WR group is fine , TY is the only proven receiver on this team. After that there are a bunch of question marks. TY is In his 30s and next year is his final year of his contract. It’s time to start thinking of life without TY. I fully expect one of the first two picks to be a WR no way they are drafting a RB that high when there is no need for one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

Ballard may take a RB but if he does it will be in the very later rounds. 

For the life of me I can't fathom why you think the receiving crew we have is just fine. Jeez, we had a receiver on the field last year that wasn't even on a roster at the start of the season. 

Yes we had injuries but the talent level of the depth players was trash. 

While none of us can be sure of what direction Ballard will go I believe there is a strong possibility that a couple of WRs will be drafted early in this years draft. 

Maybe a TE could be in the mix as well? 

With this offensive line we have we don't need a high round draft pick RB. 

Just my :2c:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:


Sand in his pants?  Huh?

It’s a phrase that used to be much more common...... sorry I’m old....

 

It means that he isn’t big and strong enough to support run defense....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

I actually do think that we may get RB, but probably 5th or 6th round

 

I also think that Campbell will be a good WR, but an additional WR should be picked with one of our 2nds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this point we still need:


Primary “Larger, more urgent holes”

Starting WR

Receiving  TE

Starting LDE

 

Secondary “Smaller, less urgent holes”

An OT to develop

A QB to develop

Depth on IOL

A DB or two to develop

 

MC, I think you nailed it with your initial list. One change: I’d move OT up to the “tier 1” category. Fill those 4 spots with the first 4 picks and you’ve crushed the serious needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DE and OL are top priority if not taking a QB of the future. WR is a need and I assume one will be taken.  Can really go BPA with all three positions when on the clock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.


RB is a very low probability at 34 actually.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"At this point we need ..." the NFL draft to be over to see what holes we need to fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point we need a good draft. Hopefully a couple targets of CB fall to us. 
 

Higgins at 34.

Gladney at 44.

Kmet at 75.

 

Sign Clowney.

Start the season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

What in the world would make you think that?

 

What has happened this off-season to make you come to that conclusion?

 

 

A healthy Hilton

Pascal proved last year he can play

Our 2nd rounder from last Campbell 

 

We need depth, I agree but you could find that in round 3 or 4 with this Wr draft. I would say TE is a bigger problem and like I stated it wouldn’t surprise me if Swift falls to 34 Ballard takes him. Then at 44 WR/OL/TE. This offense likes to run the ball, mack on last year/problems staying healthy from time to time. Would the top RB at 34 really surprise you? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

It’s a phrase that used to be much more common...... sorry I’m old....

 

It means that he isn’t big and strong enough to support run defense....

LDE in the modern NFL isn’t the high rep player it used to be...but I know you know that.  We’re in good shape on paper for nickel pass rushers...we’ll either re-sign Sheard on a friendly deal and/or play Autry/Lewis outside on run downs.  Maybe a day 3 pick as well.
 

We played Hunt at LDE early in 2018 before we moved him inside, so there is plenty of precedent.  
 

If LDE is a top priority then we’re in great shape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

 

A healthy Hilton

Pascal proved last year he can play

Our 2nd rounder from last Campbell 

 

We need depth, I agree but you could find that in round 3 or 4 with this Wr draft. I would say TE is a bigger problem and like I stated it wouldn’t surprise me if Swift falls to 34 Ballard takes him. Then at 44 WR/OL/TE. This offense likes to run the ball, mack on last year/problems staying healthy from time to time. Would the top RB at 34 really surprise you? 

 

 

Yes, it would, because the need for WR/TE/backup OT is much higher. I'm not saying the Colts won't grab a RB in this draft; it just won't be on Day 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need an experienced WR.  I'm all for drafting one but I would feel better if we had an experienced player as well.  Alshon Jeffrey might make the most sense.  He has missed some games due to injury but so has TY.  He knows Reich's system so the move would be smoother.  I wouldn't think the price would be expensive, maybe a day 3 pick.  Or maybe for a player like Quincy since I believe they are looking for corners.  Adding an experienced WR makes sense to me since we are in a win now mode.  The last two years we added experienced WRs in Ebron and Funchess.  I think we should do it again this year.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

Our running back group was better than our receivers last year. We need a receiver in the second round and maybe another in the third or fourth. I think running back is last on our list of needs with Mack, Wilkins and Hines...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

 

A healthy Hilton

Pascal proved last year he can play

Our 2nd rounder from last Campbell 

 

We need depth, I agree but you could find that in round 3 or 4 with this Wr draft. I would say TE is a bigger problem and like I stated it wouldn’t surprise me if Swift falls to 34 Ballard takes him. Then at 44 WR/OL/TE. This offense likes to run the ball, mack on last year/problems staying healthy from time to time. Would the top RB at 34 really surprise you? 

 

 


Colts could go Swift, WR and WR/TE on Day Two...and I would be ecstatic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Healthy Hilton is no longer on  the table but what if I told you three players that could change this program?

 

34 - Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame

44 - Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

3rd rd - Troy Pride Jr CB Notre Dame

 

Kmet & Claypool would instantly add pro bowl talent to a lackluster offense & will be getting both on the steal due to lackluster qb play in Book!  Throw in a 3rd rd CB in TPJ that stole the show at the Sr bowl & combine!  What a draft this would be w/o a 1st rd pick to land 3 future pro bowlers!  This could happen but will it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

A Healthy Hilton is no longer on  the table but what if I told you three players that could change this program?

 

34 - Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame

44 - Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

3rd rd - Troy Pride Jr CB Notre Dame

 

Kmet & Claypool would instantly add pro bowl talent to a lackluster offense & will be getting both on the steal due to lackluster qb play in Book!  Throw in a 3rd rd CB in TPJ that stole the show at the Sr bowl & combine!  What a draft this would be w/o a 1st rd pick to land 3 future pro bowlers!  This could happen but will it?

I like Kmet a lot, he looks NFL ready and we need another TE.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • How'd you all figure out that no one ate the meat from those animals from that picture?    It's funny how people like to bash hunters when they fund much of the wildlife here in the states, contribute to economies around the world, and feed many poor in the areas they hunt.    
    • It's obvious you don't know much about hunting, here, or in other parts of the world. Not all hunters, but most are conversationalist. And rarely is meat wasted. Even in safari hunts in Africa, rarely does anything go to waste. Meat is normally dressed and prepped immediately, and either eaten at the camp, on the reserve by locals, or sent to market. So it's not for no other reason. And while I'm sure that some hunts are "lazy", most are active "stalk". And even in lazy hunts, the meat is not wasted.    It's hilarious how most folks will pearl clutch at hunting, yet order their fast food chicken sandwich or hamburger which is made from animals that never had a chance to run wild. I guess mass systemic killing is better than rifle or bow? And most don't have a clue that hunting is needed for population control in many areas. As long as the animal is not endangered, and as long as there is no waste, folks shouldn't have an issue. If they do, they need to go vegan or loosen up on their pearls.
    • A customer of mine , a woman, owned a hoagie shop locally.  A well-known establishment that had success for 50 + years.  The owner died , and left business to his MUCH younger wife.  She proceeded to travel the world shooting everything in site.  Soon, the restaurant wall were covered with pictures of her smiling face next to DEAD big, beautiful animals.  Lions, Tigers, bears (oh my! Haha), deer and elk of all types, etc, etc, etc.  Beautiful animals, dead for no other reason than to hang on a wall.:  Many are shot in enclosed areas with high power , from a distance.   Well, business fell off the face of the earth and she eventually sold. Karma!   I always say “impress me, hunt with a bowie knife, or stay on the couch.”     I just don’t “get it.”  
    • He’s moving to Zionsville.  The fact his house is for sale doesn’t mean he’s done in Indy.  With that said I hope the Colts don’t re-sign him.   He’s moving to Zionsville.
    • Alabama would be the last to cancel, but they are probably not going to play a 12 game schedule. the USC vs Alabama game will most likely be cancelled in a matter of days.
  • Members

    • Solon

      Solon 574

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 69

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfanej

      coltsfanej 370

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfan_canada

      coltsfan_canada 133

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 5,353

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 21

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pacolts56

      pacolts56 4,685

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtUp

      ColtUp 0

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...