Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At This Point, We Need.....

MikeCurtis

Tier 1 needs

CB - one year contracts for a guy trying to make a comeback isn't really a guaranteed fix

X WR - X is a far bigger need than Z or slot. 6-3 or bigger please. Claypool, Pittman, Higgins, Mims, etc.. 

Might be Tier 1 needs depending on strategy

QB - If they intend on keeping Rivers longer than 1 year, we're fine now. If it's TBD, then they need to draft one IF the right one falls to certain spot. 

DE - If they intend re-sign Houston next year, I think we're OK. If it's TBD, AND they are not confident with the development of Turay and Banogu, might need to draft one early. I'd just hate to see them use another early pick on a DE (4 in the last 3 years in rounds 2 and 3). 

TE - I think our biggest issue with TE last year was QB quality. I think the FO are probably happier with MAC than folks think. If not, TE could be a need early.

OL - We have no idea what the FO things of some of the other guys on the roster that we simply haven't seen. At some point though, this year or next, we need to address LT or T depth in general.

All the other positions are luxury IMO with varying degrees of need depending on how other developmental guys are doing (and we simply don't know as fans). LB, in my opinion is the only unit that clearly is fine in terms of starters and depth and needs not clear help.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Tier 1 needs

CB - one year contracts for a guy trying to make a comeback isn't really a guaranteed fix

X WR - X is a far bigger need than Z or slot. 6-3 or bigger please. Claypool, Pittman, Higgins, Mims, etc.. 

Might be Tier 1 needs depending on strategy

QB - If they intend on keeping Rivers longer than 1 year, we're fine now. If it's TBD, then they need to draft one IF the right one falls to certain spot. 

DE - If they intend re-sign Houston next year, I think we're OK. If it's TBD, AND they are not confident with the development of Turay and Banogu, might need to draft one early. I'd just hate to see them use another early pick on a DE (4 in the last 3 years in rounds 2 and 3). 

TE - I think our biggest issue with TE last year was QB quality. I think the FO are probably happier with MAC than folks think. If not, TE could be a need early.

OL - We have no idea what the FO things of some of the other guys on the roster that we simply haven't seen. At some point though, this year or next, we need to address LT or T depth in general.

All the other positions are luxury IMO with varying degrees of need depending on how other developmental guys are doing (and we simply don't know as fans). LB, in my opinion is the only unit that clearly is fine in terms of starters and depth and needs not clear help.

I’ll give you a like if you change that avatar.  I’m trying to eat!

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see how a DE is more important then a QB especially with Turay and Benogu who need the reps and Buckner who can play anywhere on the line

We don’t have a starter at LDE.....

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

We have a starting QB

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Turray doesn’t yet have the sand in his pants, nor Banagu, to play the position full time

We have a starting QB

Which is where Buckner comes in. He can play all over the line then he can kick inside and bring Turay in. We need our young pass rushers to get some experience. We don't even know if Rivers will be here past this season.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this point we still need:

Primary “Larger, more urgent holes”

Starting WR

Receiving  TE

Starting LDE

Secondary “Smaller, less urgent holes”

An OT to develop

A QB to develop

Depth on IOL

A DB or two to develop

IMO in order

1. WR

2. CB

3. OT

4. Edge Rusher

5. QB

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We have a starting QB

You'll likely see Autry play there on running downs, and Turay play on there on passing downs.

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

42 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I’m really starting to think the colts are fine with their WR group. I think they add depth in the 4th or 5th round since its so deep. RB is a high probability at 34, with Offensive Line. Just judging on how Ballard and Reich value things. Mack is on his last year, there’s nothing behind him. Don’t be surprised if Ballard takes a Rb.

I'd bet just about anything a RB is not our first pick....

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

What in the world would make you think that?

What has happened this off-season to make you come to that conclusion?

There is no possible way you think the WR group is fine , TY is the only proven receiver on this team. After that there are a bunch of question marks. TY is In his 30s and next year is his final year of his contract. It’s time to start thinking of life without TY. I fully expect one of the first two picks to be a WR no way they are drafting a RB that high when there is no need for one.

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Ballard may take a RB but if he does it will be in the very later rounds. 

For the life of me I can't fathom why you think the receiving crew we have is just fine. Jeez, we had a receiver on the field last year that wasn't even on a roster at the start of the season. 

Yes we had injuries but the talent level of the depth players was trash. 

While none of us can be sure of what direction Ballard will go I believe there is a strong possibility that a couple of WRs will be drafted early in this years draft. 

Maybe a TE could be in the mix as well? 

With this offensive line we have we don't need a high round draft pick RB. 

Just my :2c:

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I actually do think that we may get RB, but probably 5th or 6th round

I also think that Campbell will be a good WR, but an additional WR should be picked with one of our 2nds

15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this point we still need:

Primary “Larger, more urgent holes”

Starting WR

Receiving  TE

Starting LDE

Secondary “Smaller, less urgent holes”

An OT to develop

A QB to develop

Depth on IOL

A DB or two to develop

MC, I think you nailed it with your initial list. One change: I’d move OT up to the “tier 1” category. Fill those 4 spots with the first 4 picks and you’ve crushed the serious needs. 

9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

RB is a very low probability at 34 actually.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What in the world would make you think that?

What has happened this off-season to make you come to that conclusion?

A healthy Hilton

Pascal proved last year he can play

Our 2nd rounder from last Campbell 

We need depth, I agree but you could find that in round 3 or 4 with this Wr draft. I would say TE is a bigger problem and like I stated it wouldn’t surprise me if Swift falls to 34 Ballard takes him. Then at 44 WR/OL/TE. This offense likes to run the ball, mack on last year/problems staying healthy from time to time. Would the top RB at 34 really surprise you? 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

It’s a phrase that used to be much more common...... sorry I’m old....

It means that he isn’t big and strong enough to support run defense....

LDE in the modern NFL isn’t the high rep player it used to be...but I know you know that.  We’re in good shape on paper for nickel pass rushers...we’ll either re-sign Sheard on a friendly deal and/or play Autry/Lewis outside on run downs.  Maybe a day 3 pick as well.

We played Hunt at LDE early in 2018 before we moved him inside, so there is plenty of precedent.  

If LDE is a top priority then we’re in great shape.

29 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

A healthy Hilton

We need depth, I agree but you could find that in round 3 or 4 with this Wr draft. I would say TE is a bigger problem and like I stated it wouldn’t surprise me if Swift falls to 34 Ballard takes him. Then at 44 WR/OL/TE. This offense likes to run the ball, mack on last year/problems staying healthy from time to time. Would the top RB at 34 really surprise you? 

Yes, it would, because the need for WR/TE/backup OT is much higher. I'm not saying the Colts won't grab a RB in this draft; it just won't be on Day 2. 

We need an experienced WR.  I'm all for drafting one but I would feel better if we had an experienced player as well.  Alshon Jeffrey might make the most sense.  He has missed some games due to injury but so has TY.  He knows Reich's system so the move would be smoother.  I wouldn't think the price would be expensive, maybe a day 3 pick.  Or maybe for a player like Quincy since I believe they are looking for corners.  Adding an experienced WR makes sense to me since we are in a win now mode.  The last two years we added experienced WRs in Ebron and Funchess.  I think we should do it again this year.  

12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Our running back group was better than our receivers last year. We need a receiver in the second round and maybe another in the third or fourth. I think running back is last on our list of needs with Mack, Wilkins and Hines...

A healthy Hilton

Colts could go Swift, WR and WR/TE on Day Two...and I would be ecstatic. 

A Healthy Hilton is no longer on  the table but what if I told you three players that could change this program?

34 - Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame

44 - Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

3rd rd - Troy Pride Jr CB Notre Dame

Kmet & Claypool would instantly add pro bowl talent to a lackluster offense & will be getting both on the steal due to lackluster qb play in Book!  Throw in a 3rd rd CB in TPJ that stole the show at the Sr bowl & combine!  What a draft this would be w/o a 1st rd pick to land 3 future pro bowlers!  This could happen but will it?

23 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

A Healthy Hilton is no longer on  the table but what if I told you three players that could change this program?

34 - Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame

44 - Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

3rd rd - Troy Pride Jr CB Notre Dame

Kmet & Claypool would instantly add pro bowl talent to a lackluster offense & will be getting both on the steal due to lackluster qb play in Book!  Throw in a 3rd rd CB in TPJ that stole the show at the Sr bowl & combine!  What a draft this would be w/o a 1st rd pick to land 3 future pro bowlers!  This could happen but will it?

I like Kmet a lot, he looks NFL ready and we need another TE.

Archived