Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's left to fix on defense?

I'm genuinely surprised how many people have answered this questions with "none" or "minimal". 

We currently have players like Turay, Okereke, Walker, Tell, Willis, Ya-Sin, Muhammad and Lewis either guaranteed to start or competing to start. 

All of them MIGHT improve themselves but who looks at that list and views it that no improvements are possible or needed? 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:11 AM, TheNextGM said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree.. there’s a reason so many fans wanted Clowney.. we need another impact player.. Buckner will be double and triple teamed if we don’t have somebody who can get pressure. 

I can see adding a TE there as well but I believe Ballard is trying to build a beast on defence. Need another head for the monster.

This.

The next time this Colts D shuts down (24 or less pts)) a top-5-ish NFL

offense PLAYING AT PRETTY MUCH FULL STRENGTH (KC O was all

banged up last year so that doesn't count) will be the first time.

Until they get to that level, they need more quasi-elite, impact players.

I believe all starters are on the current roster and the 1-Year contract FA additions were made to be a bridge to a younger player and/or draft pick.

DE - Houston, Turay

UT - Buckner, Lewis

DT- Stewart, Day

DE- Autry, Banogu, Muhammad

WILL- Leonard, Speed

MIKE- Walker, Franklin

SAM- Okereke, Adams

CB- Rhodes, Wilson

CB- Ya Sin, Tell

FS- Hooker, Odum

SS- Willis, Milligan

NB- Moore, Carrie

Rhodes, Carrie and Day are on a prove it deal and 1 will likely get re-signed next year ala Hunt a few years ago.

Autry and Lewis will likely play Sheards old spot on running downs and slide inside on passing downs.

I believe we will draft a CB to groom behind Rhodes/Carrie like Ojemudia (IA)or Jackson (NE).

I believe we will draft a DT to groom behind Stewart and Day like Agim from Arkansas.

I believe we will draft a DE that isn't as bendy as Turay and Banogu but can hold the edge, has a non stop motor and can pressure the QB consistently like the dude from North Dakota State, or Boise State.

The rest of the draft will be all offense to fill an OT spot, TE, WR and maybe QB. I'm beginning to think they may like a 2021 QB better or it's going to be Fromm or Hurts since neither have been directly connected to us.

• Like 3
On 4/3/2020 at 9:34 PM, MacDee1975 said:

1 DE for depth

1 Safety for depth

That's it.

The offense is what needs alot of work now.

Apparently u didn't watch the last half of the season .  The defence was horrid.  We r banking a lot on these young players taking the next step.

15 hours ago, indykmj said:

This.

Agreed.  I think everyone is really not seeing the same D that I watched last year.  The O will bounce back once we get healthy players.  The D was absolutely horrid last year against good offences. People r banking a lot on young players taking the next step. I hope they do.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we have much to fix on the defense if guys develop.  Will Tell develop into that number two corner. We are ok right now but Rhodes being on A one year deal we need to find out if we need another corner beside rock or if Tell can step up. I think Banogu might just be able to step into Sheard role. I am worried about Turay because there won’t be much conditioning time most likely before they hit training camp. Hopefully he is out there working on that once he can. 

Oh my.  If players develop??  That's hoping for a lot.  I hope they take the next step.....I really do.

16 hours ago, indykmj said:

This.

This is 2020.  No defense will be "shutting down" a top 5ish NFL offense.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed.  I think everyone is really not seeing the same D that I watched last year.  The O will bounce back once we get healthy players.  The D was absolutely horrid last year against good offences. People r banking a lot on young players taking the next step. I hope they do.

Of course their banking on young players taking the next step.  What do you think the plan is......to draft a bunch of young players in the early rounds the last few years, only to sign stopgap FAs to block them from developing?  Or to use draft capital this year at positions that have already been addressed to add even more young players that you also are banking on developing? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I can't wait to see our young guys make their soph/junior/senior jumps.

This defense is going to be fast and hard hitting, bank on it.

I'm high on Turay continuing to mature. Banogu is a total wildcard though to me.

I think Oke and Willis will improve, but I still see them as situational or scheme. In short, just not a very high ceiling.  

I do think Tell has a high ceiling and could develop in our scheme. 

10 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I can't wait to see our young guys make their soph/junior/senior jumps.

This defense is going to be fast and hard hitting, bank on it.

Which is why I don’t think we really have any holes. We still have young guys that are developing.

17 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

This is 2020.  No defense will be "shutting down" a top 5ish NFL offense.

Agreed. That's why I defined 'shutting down' as holding them to 24 pts

or less.   

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I believe all starters are on the current roster and the 1-Year contract FA additions were made to be a bridge to a younger player and/or draft pick.

DE - Houston, Turay

UT - Buckner, Lewis

DT- Stewart, Day

DE- Autry, Banogu, Muhammad

WILL- Leonard, Speed

MIKE- Walker, Franklin

SAM- Okereke, Adams

CB- Rhodes, Wilson

CB- Ya Sin, Tell

FS- Hooker, Odum

SS- Willis, Milligan

NB- Moore, Carrie

Rhodes, Carrie and Day are on a prove it deal and 1 will likely get re-signed next year ala Hunt a few years ago.

Autry and Lewis will likely play Sheards old spot on running downs and slide inside on passing downs.

I believe we will draft a CB to groom behind Rhodes/Carrie like Ojemudia (IA)or Jackson (NE).

I believe we will draft a DE that isn't as bendy as Turay and Banogu but can hold the edge, has a non stop motor and can pressure the QB consistently like the dude from North Dakota State, or Boise State.

You just described Epenesa. 

Tony Dungy once said the 3 tech DT is the most important part of the D!  What happened in 2019, we let Al Woods go and opted for smaller quicker penetrating DT that got MANHANLED!!!  CB realized his mistake & gave up the 13th pick of the 2020 draft to acquire one of the best 3 tech DT player!  Ive watched the Chicago Bears D go from the best to horrible after their stud got hurt.  It’s no secret anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Of course their banking on young players taking the next step.  What do you think the plan is......to draft a bunch of young players in the early rounds the last few years, only to sign stopgap FAs to block them from developing?  Or to use draft capital this year at positions that have already been addressed to add even more young players that you also are banking on developing? 

I agree, however this D is really young. We shall c

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

He would be one too, though I didn't list him as I don't think he makes it to the second round

I’m not saying the Colts would or should take him but he’s falling and I think he’s a good candidate to be there at the top of the second round. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we have much to fix on the defense if guys develop.  Will Tell develop into that number two corner. We are ok right now but Rhodes being on A one year deal we need to find out if we need another corner beside rock or if Tell can step up. I think Banogu might just be able to step into Sheard role. I am worried about Turay because there won’t be much conditioning time most likely before they hit training camp. Hopefully he is out there working on that once he can. 

I would be willing to bet Turay is working with Robert Mathis

On 4/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, cbear said:

Starters are not needed imo on defense.  We already have them.  We could use a starting outside wr, and te. 

Depth is what we're looking for now and how nice to be saying that!!  

CB

S

DE (edge setter. We're good with pass rushers). 

Lb.  

Who is the starting LDE in 2020?

14 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

You just described Epenesa. 

Epenesa is a Step above Sheard

He isn’t speedy, but the guy is strong as an ox, who can push the pile.

He seems like someone the Colts will look at

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Epenesa is a Step above Sheard

He isn’t speedy, but the guy is strong as an ox, who can push the pile.

He seems like someone the Colts will look at

He can probably slide inside on passing downs at times too.  I want a WR who can be a #2 short term but with #1 potential but it will be interesting if there's a WR run that leaves players like Epenesa or Fulton sitting there at #34

On 4/7/2020 at 2:25 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Clowney is good but not very good or great IMO. He is now wanting 17 mill a year at worse instead of 20. He lowered his price. I would sign him for 13 on a 2 year deal lol, 17 NAH, not even 15.

Clowney is an above average player but the media treat him like he's an elite player and he believes that hype.  Guy gets more freaking hype because of how hard he his an Michigan RB once in college.

• Like 1
On 4/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, Scott Pennock said:

He would be one too, though I didn't list him as I don't think he makes it to the second round

I havn't check the pro-day numbers or if Iowa has even had it's pro-day yet but apparently his bad combine is pushing him down some draft boards.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I havn't check the pro-day numbers or if Iowa has even had it's pro-day yet but apparently his bad combine is pushing him down some draft boards.  

He's the kind of guy that the Patriots would draft and turn into an above average starter or star at the end of the first round every year.

40 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

He's the kind of guy that the Patriots would draft and turn into an above average starter or star at the end of the first round every year.

He actually reminds me alot of Trey Flowers. Not very athletic but a effective power rusher and excellent against the run. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/4/2020 at 1:21 AM, NorthernColt said:

I don't think a sheard replacement is as big a need as before. I thin, they'll probably play Autry at DE when they play 4-3, and then move him inside on passing downs. They'll also have Lewis backing him up, as I think he'll get more of a look at DE this year.

I’m hoping we’re on the same page here. I’m all for putting Lewis at the defensive end position. 

On 4/7/2020 at 6:53 AM, indykmj said:

This.

I agree 100% that our D looked like crap but if we fix the following issues, our D will be stacked.

1 - CB decided not to resign 300+lb Woods whom help make DL an ALLPRO.  What happened w/o Woods your curiosity may ask, is our Dline got manhandled which led to our All Pro w/o a 3 wk task.

2 - We had a Franchise qb retire, which led to backup Brissett, and with his lack of downfield vision = the league worse deep threat!  Enter Phillip Rivers, a 16 yr vet, who will give the D a rest, we can most surely bet!

On 4/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

All three levels of the D could use another player. DE, CB, SS and Mike in that order of importance. 

I think Walker is just fine as a MIKE and Ballard seems to really like him.  Among Leonard, Walker, Okereke and Speed, I think we have 4 guys capable of starting and playing at a high level (I think, other than Walker who is best suited as a MIKE, the other 3 guys can play any of the LB positions if needed).  Then we've got solid depth in Adams, Franklin and Skai Moore (I was hoping Moore would turn out to be more than he has so far, but I'll give him a 3rd year until I give up on him - maybe he's just a step too slow or slightly too unathletic?).  

I think Buckner will really help the DL as a whole, along w/ the growth of Banogu and Turay.  While I wouldn't be shocked if we resigned Sheard or drafted an edge setting DE, I also won't be shocked if we don't add any big names to the DL this offseason.  

Personally, I think our starting secondary will be fine, especially if Tell improves at CB.  However, depth at S is somewhat of a concern, IMO.... maybe Wilson makes the full-time switch to S this year?  

On 4/4/2020 at 10:15 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

The scheme as a whole.

As others have said - this D runs on the 3T.  The addition of Buckner should really help the D as a whole, coupled with another year of development from some of our young guys (Turay, Banogu, Okereke, Speed, Tell, Ya-Sin, Willis, etc.).  Our inconsistent pass rush last year did not help our secondary at all and I think injuries and a hitch in Wilson's progress and decline in Desir's play forced us to throw Ya-Sin and Tell into the fire probably sooner than was desired by Ballard and Co.  Anyway, if our DL can get to the QB faster and cause errant throws, our entire secondary should also benefit.  

I think we'll see 'Flus improve the scheme and add some more wrinkles to it, given that we've improved personnel and have given him a legitimately elite 3T.

-_____________________________________________________

I think the biggest thing we need is for this team to stay healthy across the board.  I think our most pressing needs right now are WR1a/2 and a receiving TE.  Otherwise, I'd be happy just to see depth pieces added with no major changes to the depth chart as stands now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Walker is just fine as a MIKE and Ballard seems to really like him.  Among Leonard, Walker, Okereke and Speed, I think we have 4 guys capable of starting and playing at a high level (I think, other than Walker who is best suited as a MIKE, the other 3 guys can play any of the LB positions if needed).  Then we've got solid depth in Adams, Franklin and Skai Moore (I was hoping Moore would turn out to be more than he has so far, but I'll give him a 3rd year until I give up on him - maybe he's just a step too slow or slightly too unathletic?).  

I think Buckner will really help the DL as a whole, along w/ the growth of Banogu and Turay.  While I wouldn't be shocked if we resigned Sheard or drafted an edge setting DE, I also won't be shocked if we don't add any big names to the DL this offseason.  

Personally, I think our starting secondary will be fine, especially if Tell improves at CB.  However, depth at S is somewhat of a concern, IMO.... maybe Wilson makes the full-time switch to S this year?  

As others have said - this D runs on the 3T.  The addition of Buckner should really help the D as a whole, coupled with another year of development from some of our young guys (Turay, Banogu, Okereke, Speed, Tell, Ya-Sin, Willis, etc.).  Our inconsistent pass rush last year did not help our secondary at all and I think injuries and a hitch in Wilson's progress and decline in Desir's play forced us to throw Ya-Sin and Tell into the fire probably sooner than was desired by Ballard and Co.  Anyway, if our DL can get to the QB faster and cause errant throws, our entire secondary should also benefit.  

I think we'll see 'Flus improve the scheme and add some more wrinkles to it, given that we've improved personnel and have given him a legitimately elite 3T.

-_____________________________________________________

I think the biggest thing we need is for this team to stay healthy across the board.  I think our most pressing needs right now are WR1a/2 and a receiving TE.  Otherwise, I'd be happy just to see depth pieces added with no major changes to the depth chart as stands now.

I would b so tempted to use both 2nd rounders on a wr. I am not sure Campbell is going to blossom into a #1, which is fine.  This maybe Hilton's last year with the Colts. We could possibly get our future #1 and #2 receiver out this draft. Tight end poor draft , so we could grab one in the 3rd.  The only way I would deviate from this plan is if a stud DT one technique is sitting their in the 2nd

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would b so tempted to use both 2nd rounders on a wr. I am not sure Campbell is going to blossom into a #1, which is fine.  This maybe Hilton's last year with the Colts. We could possibly get our future #1 and #2 receiver out this draft. Tight end poor draft , so we could grab one in the 3rd.  The only way I would deviate from this plan is if a stud DT one technique is sitting their in the 2nd

I could see that, and would be happy with it... though, so many possible scenarios could play out.  I am assuming Ballard and Co don't like a QB in this draft, but what if one slipped through to the 34th spot that they thought wasn't worth the 13th pick but a steal at 34?

There's several talented DBs who could fall.  This WR class is so deep, we'd likely be in a position to get a good one with our 3rd or 4th round pick, as well.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a trade back and picking up an extra pick or two later in the draft.  It'll all depend on what types of runs happen in the first round.... I've seen mocks with 4 WRs going in the first and others with up to 7 going in the first... it'll be fun to see who's still on the board when the 34th pick gets called.