Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's left to fix on defense?


Recommended Posts

WR , TE , & QB are the biggest needs but to the question about the defense - we won’t know for sure until the competition starts. We have talent at all 3 levels of defense but competition has to bring the cream to the top. Young guys like Turay, Banogu,  Rock, & Okereke have to develop and stay healthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we have much to fix on the defense if guys develop.  Will Tell develop into that number two corner. We are ok right now but Rhodes being on A one year deal we need to find out if we need another corner beside rock or if Tell can step up. I think Banogu might just be able to step into Sheard role. I am worried about Turay because there won’t be much conditioning time most likely before they hit training camp. Hopefully he is out there working on that once he can. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

Besides WR, DE might be the biggest need on the team. 
 

Obviously it depends on who falls, but the two 2nds will likely be spend on those two positions. Maybe a QB as well.

 

We better not use a second rounder on a DE.  Many other positions need addressed before this one does.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd still like to pick up some help from the secondary.   Personally I'd love to go after Duron Harmon from the Patriots, on the theory that they won't trade Gilmore or either McCourty for any money, but want to cut costs, Harmon might be available and would be a great veteran leader for a very young unit.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

 

We better not use a second rounder on a DE.  Many other positions need addressed before this one does.


We’ll have to agree to disagree.. there’s a reason so many fans wanted Clowney.. we need another impact player.. Buckner will be double and triple teamed if we don’t have somebody who can get pressure. 

I can see adding a TE there as well but I believe Ballard is trying to build a beast on defence. Need another head for the monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think a sheard replacement is as big a need as before. I thin, they'll probably play Autry at DE when they play 4-3, and then move him inside on passing downs. They'll also have Lewis backing him up, as I think he'll get more of a look at DE this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I don't think a sheard replacement is as big a need as before. I thin, they'll probably play Autry at DE when they play 4-3, and then move him inside on passing downs. They'll also have Lewis backing him up, as I think he'll get more of a look at DE this year.

Remember...   Ballard wants 10 DL on the 53 man roster, and 8 DL on the game day active roster.  
 

So, if not Sheard coming back, someone has to fill the spot?   Ballard wants his DL so fresh all game long to keep constant pressure on opposing QBs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Buckner will be double and triple teamed if we don’t have somebody who can get pressure. 

If he gets triple teamed, then he will have earned every penny the Colts are paying him...and the LB's will be all up in someone's face. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the starting defense is already signed up. I think any more players brought in will be depth/developmental players at DE, CB and S.

 

The veterans Autry, Houston and Rhodes contracts are up at the end of this season so ideally it would be great if a player could emerge in their positons as starting calibre (Turay, Banogu, Lewis, Tell, Wilson, etc). Ballard will give those guys a chance or if nobody emerges draft someone to fill those positions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheNextGM said:


We’ll have to agree to disagree.. there’s a reason so many fans wanted Clowney.. we need another impact player.. Buckner will be double and triple teamed if we don’t have somebody who can get pressure. 

I can see adding a TE there as well but I believe Ballard is trying to build a beast on defence. Need another head for the monster.

If Buckner is doubled or tripled teamed it means the pressure and sacks will come from somewhere else on a pretty regular bases. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Another EDGE

Then, WR

Then QB

Then RB

The rest, you pick em..

I totally disagree. 

1 WR

2 CB

3 Edge

4 TE

If the Colts are all in this year I highly doubt they draft a QB this draft. 

With this O-line a RB is the least needed position. I think another offensive lineman is more needed that a RB too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'd still like to pick up some help from the secondary.   Personally I'd love to go after Duron Harmon from the Patriots, on the theory that they won't trade Gilmore or either McCourty for any money, but want to cut costs, Harmon might be available and would be a great veteran leader for a very young unit.

Harmon was traded to the Lions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d bring back Sheard on a one year deal with a team option and pay him decently. He’s an excellent run stopping DE. Solves that problem for another year and keeps a leader in the locker room. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like most of us I think we will be drafting primarily offense this year.  And I think RB could be taken early.  I remember last year we were really interested in Jacobs and he wound up going to the Raiders one pick before us.  Of course who knows if we would have taken him.  My point being that were looking last year.  This year might be the perfect time to get another back early to pair with Mack.  If he works out Ballard might pass on extending Mack and let him hit FA and get the comp pick.  Ballard has to plan on signing Ryan Kelly, Hooker, Leonard, Q and a few others that might be more important than giving a second contract to a RB who has had injury issues.  This could be the draft to hedge that position and secure his replacement now on a rookie contract.  That's a strategy Belicheck has used often.  I would think Ballard has to be at least thinking about it.  JMO. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This question, with the way it is phrased, is what is so exciting to me as a Colts fan. After years of having one of the worst defenses in the league, and always having to outscore opponents to win, the fact that we are now asking "What's left to fix" is amazing! Ballard has done a fantastic job turning that side of the ball around in a few seasons, and I suspect that now that he has turned our stop unit into a good group, I'm excited to see how he molds the offense! It's a great time to be a Colts fan!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Safety and another CB that can play outside are the biggest ones we need for defense, IMO. 

Hopefully with the Buckner trade it will make the CB and safety play easier? 

Getting pressure and sacks are the key to making the whole defense better. 

As always the talent of the depth players is essential. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Sharp Football, the defense gave up 50 explosive pass plays, and 41 explosive run plays. I think we had a lot of coverage busts and missed tackles. QBs completed 70% of their pass attempts against us, averaged 7.5 yards/attempt, and had a 98 passer rating.

 

I think the defense has a lot of improvement to make. I like the additions so far, assuming we get something close to Buckner's best, and something more like what Rhodes was doing at his best. I also think guys like Okereke, Willis and Ya-Sin will be better in Year 2. And there's reason for optimism up front, assuming Turay is back, Banogu keeps getting better, etc. 

 

I'd like more proven depth in the secondary. Hooker gets hurt every year, Geathers is presumably gone (and an injury risk himself), and like someone else said, we seem to have a rash of injuries in the secondary every year. I figure Wilson either turns into a stud or is gone (I'm pulling for him, but money's on the latter; maybe they plan to move him to SS). I don't know if Tell is any good. I'd like a vet safety to lean on. I thought we'd add Eric Berry, but maybe that will wait until after the draft? And who knows whether he can still play...

 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/explosive-play-rankings--def-.html

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Per Sharp Football, the defense gave up 50 explosive pass plays, and 41 explosive run plays. I think we had a lot of coverage busts and missed tackles. QBs completed 70% of their pass attempts against us, averaged 7.5 yards/attempt, and had a 98 passer rating.

 

I think the defense has a lot of improvement to make. I like the additions so far, assuming we get something close to Buckner's best, and something more like what Rhodes was doing at his best. I also think guys like Okereke, Willis and Ya-Sin will be better in Year 2. And there's reason for optimism up front, assuming Turay is back, Banogu keeps getting better, etc. 

 

I'd like more proven depth in the secondary. Hooker gets hurt every year, Geathers is presumably gone (and an injury risk himself), and like someone else said, we seem to have a rash of injuries in the secondary every year. I figure Wilson either turns into a stud or is gone (I'm pulling for him, but money's on the latter; maybe they plan to move him to SS). I don't know if Tell is any good. I'd like a vet safety to lean on. I thought we'd add Eric Berry, but maybe that will wait until after the draft? And who knows whether he can still play...

 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/explosive-play-rankings--def-.html

Yeah it seemed like our pass defense couldn't stop the Bucs, Saints, or Jags at all to end the season. In those games we were awful.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheNextGM said:


We’ll have to agree to disagree.. there’s a reason so many fans wanted Clowney.. we need another impact player.. Buckner will be double and triple teamed if we don’t have somebody who can get pressure. 

I can see adding a TE there as well but I believe Ballard is trying to build a beast on defence. Need another head for the monster.


Fans wanting Clowney was more the desire to have the top DL in the league, not because there was some glaring need.

 

As it stands, Ballard could do nothing more at all to the DL, and it would still be a strength.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Starters are not needed imo on defense.  We already have them.  We could use a starting outside wr, and te. 

 

Depth is what we're looking for now and how nice to be saying that!!  

 

CB

S

DE (edge setter. We're good with pass rushers). 

Lb.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question was, Whats left to fix the Defense so not sure why all the Offense responses?  DL = check, Linebackers = check, Secondary = check minus safety!  It's time for Malik Hooker to define himself and not only be a staple for this group but be a Leader.  This staff will not accept just mediocre play from a guy that was touted to be a star at this level.  For me, my answer to the question is Free Safety what is left to fix this defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 6:23 PM, MacDee1975 said:


Fans wanting Clowney was more the desire to have the top DL in the league, not because there was some glaring need.

 

As it stands, Ballard could do nothing more at all to the DL, and it would still be a strength.

Clowney is fools gold as there is a reason both stops didnt resign him & one stop included JJ Watt!  If he was signed, he would be a rotational player and you don’t sign rotational players to $15mil plus!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Clowney is fools gold as there is a reason both stops didnt resign him & one stop included JJ Watt!  If he was signed, he would be a rotational player and you don’t sign rotational players to $15mil plus!

Clowney is good but not very good or great IMO. He is now wanting 17 mill a year at worse instead of 20. He lowered his price. I would sign him for 13 on a 2 year deal lol, 17 NAH, not even 15.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...