Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We all know WR is a big need along with TE. Solve this by drafting 6-4 238 4.42 Chase Claypool. Put him outside with Doyle inside and when Doyle is not in slide him too TE. Hilton Paschal Campbell Claypool along with couple others we have would make a pretty good wr group ! Go Colts ! 

2 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

We all know WR is a big need along with TE. Solve this by drafting 6-4 238 4.42 Chase Claypool. Put him outside with Doyle inside and when Doyle is not in slide him too TE. Hilton Paschal Campbell Claypool along with couple others we have would make a pretty good wr group ! Go Colts ! 

At 34 overall? No thanks. A much better WR will be available there. 

All I know is Ballard needs to find a WR who can take the double team away from TY.  Without that player our WR corp is average at best.  Our running game is a Mack injury away from being barely average.  Ballard might want to think about adding a big RB early and run the ball even more behind that great line of ours.  A QB's best friend is a big running game.  

1 hour ago, coltsfan40 said:

Claypool has as good a chance as any to be the best 2nd rd receiver taken when looking back in a year or two. And yes his speed is going to clear out space for someone!
  CB would likely trade back before picking him at #34. I like the way you are thinking though. Of course so is Campbell as we prepare for TY`s injuries.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

At 34 overall? No thanks. A much better WR will be available there. 

What I don’t understand is why, before the combine, a lot of scouts were saying he has late-1st round talent, but his speed was a knock on him pushing him down a lot. Then he came in and dominated the combine, proving them wrong, and people still say “No, he isn’t a 1st round caliber player”. Makes no sense to me!

My preference for 34, in no order

deandre swift

josh jones

jalen reagor 

imo WR will be addressed with the 44th pick. Deep class their will be a good one there

I’m all on the draft a wr early wagon but this oline class is deep. Not many times you can get a high end offensive tackle in the 2nd round. Also a RB is truly needed. Someone that can give mack a breather, while not much drop off. Swift is a top 20 prospect on many boards. He’d be great value at 34. 

I kind of hope we go 2 WR's with our 2nd rounders. Ideally one size guy and one speed guy. Mims, Pittman, Claypool. Then Hamler, Reagor, Aiyuk.

Hamler doesn't get alot of talk on here, but when I watch his tape I see alot of TY Hilton in him. Who better to learn from then TY himself.

6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I kind of hope we go 2 WR's with our 2nd rounders. Ideally one size guy and one speed guy. Mims, Pittman, Claypool. Then Hamler, Reagor, Aiyuk.

Hamler doesn't get alot of talk on here, but when I watch his tape I see alot of TY Hilton in him. Who better to learn from then TY himself.

Wr is a need, I do agree. But there’s other parts on offense, that I could argue that are just as big of a need. Double dipping for 2 wr’s in the 2nd would leave us extra thin for finding talent at TE-OT-RB. We just drafted campbell last year, He was frustrating last year but he’s got talent to make a year 2 jump with a better QB. Pascal isn’t fancy but he got the job done last year with a below average QB. Think he has the potential to be good again this year. 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Wr is a need, I do agree. But there’s other parts on offense, that I could argue that are just as big of a need. Double dipping for 2 wr’s in the 2nd would leave us extra thin for finding talent at TE-OT-RB. We just drafted campbell last year, He was frustrating last year but he’s got talent to make a year 2 jump with a better QB. Pascal isn’t fancy but he got the job done last year with a below average QB. Think he has the potential to be good again this year. 

I see your point, but I think you can still go TE/OL in the 3rd, and the other in the 4th. RB you can get quality guys 5th or later, or UDFA. In a pass happy league WR is a priority. I'm actually not as down on our position group as a whole, I like the depth we have. But it lacks elite talent. So going 2 WR in the 2nd, gets you 2 potentially elite guys.

How about a variation on the theme? 

Draft Mims at 34 and Claypool at 44, with the intent to utilize Claypool as a move TE and offensive chess piece.  He'll be big enough after a weight room makeover to play the position; he apparently has an aggressive mentality in that he plays ST's and likes to block. And he can also be used as another WR in the red zone. That would be a curve ball vs. taking a known TE commodity in Kmet, which is certainly an option. But the receiving corps will have gotten a huge shot in the arm as far as size and talent with the additions of Mims and Claypool. 

I like Claypool at 34.  Funny, before we traded our 1st, I had decided that a trade-down to 21ish was in order, targeting Justin Jefferson or Denzel Mims.  Now, I’m fairly certain we won’t have that kind of complete receiver available to us.  I’m pretty indifferent between Claypool or Aiyuk at 34, with Pittman a little bit behind those two.  I still think Mims will be long gone by that time...

4 hours ago, coltsfan40 said:

I love Claypool, but not at pick #34. He's more of a mid 2nd early 3rd round pick in my opinion. Mims, Higgins, Justin Jefferson, and Reagor all could be there at 34. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

How about a variation on the theme? 

Draft Mims at 34 and Claypool at 44, with the intent to utilize Claypool as a move TE and offensive chess piece.  He'll be big enough after a weight room makeover to play the position; he apparently has an aggressive mentality in that he plays ST's and likes to block. And he can also be used as another WR in the red zone. That would be a curve ball vs. taking a known TE commodity in Kmet, which is certainly an option. But the receiving corps will have gotten a huge shot in the arm as far as size and talent with the additions of Mims and Claypool. 

My preference would be Mims or Reagor at #34.... and Kmet at #44.

But I could live with Mims and Claypool too.

Claypool appears to have Vernon Davis-type measurables and I’d be jazzed to see how Reich would utilize him with Rivers pulling the trigger.

4 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

My preference would be Mims or Reagor at #34.... and Kmet at #44.

But I could live with Mims and Claypool too.

Claypool appears to have Vernon Davis-type measurables and I’d be jazzed to see how Reich would utilize him with Rivers pulling the trigger.

There are a couple of TEs I would like Ballard to take but I'm not too sure how Allie-Cox fits into the program. They seem to like him a lot. They have been grooming him for a while.  6'5" 267 lbs. Are pretty good measurements. 

QB at 34 or 44. WR either with the other second or in the third (this draft has lots of them)

Wild cards are taking an OL, DE or even a RB if one falls. And I agree with taking another RB. There are some good ones who might slip to rounds 3 or 4.

And we could use another TE.

But I want a young QB, although that means carrying three.

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

What I don’t understand is why, before the combine, a lot of scouts were saying he has late-1st round talent, but his speed was a knock on him pushing him down a lot. Then he came in and dominated the combine, proving them wrong, and people still say “No, he isn’t a 1st round caliber player”. Makes no sense to me!

If I had to guess...    scouts like multiple seasons of success..   a longer track record to examine.   I think Claypool has only one great year.  The rest were not nearly as good.   

11 minutes ago, Gigc said:

QB at 34 or 44. WR either with the other second or in the third (this draft has lots of them)

Wild cards are taking an OL, DE or even a RB if one falls. And I agree with taking another RB. There are some good ones who might slip to rounds 3 or 4.

And we could use another TE.

But I want a young QB, although that means carrying three.

I am not too sure Ballard/Reich are interested in a QB this draft. 

There are mixed signals and rumors out there. 

From Reich's interview he suggested Rivers will be here past the one year contract. I also have to admit I may have been wrong about Kelly too. 

I know a new QB is a popular opinion but we never know what's on Ballard's mind. 

i think they have some interest in love.  dobut ballard would go to utah for just a smoke screen 

rivers could play 2-3 more years too.  i wonder if they would use a second on a qb that might ride the bench a while.  he seems like more of a ballard qb than a reich qb too

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

deandre swift

josh jones

jalen reagor 

imo WR will be addressed with the 44th pick. Deep class their will be a good one there

I’m all on the draft a wr early wagon but this oline class is deep. Not many times you can get a high end offensive tackle in the 2nd round. Also a RB is truly needed. Someone that can give mack a breather, while not much drop off. Swift is a top 20 prospect on many boards. He’d be great value at 34. 

Swift can catch.

Reagor is good but he’s another tiny target. The Colts really need some size in their receiving corps. 

One guy not mentioned yet: Shenault from Colorado. He fits the XL wideout the Colts could use, and he’s a talent. I could live with him at 34. 

5 hours ago, boo2202 said:

deandre swift

josh jones

jalen reagor 

If Swift is there you'd have to really think about taking him at 34. I also like Antoine Winfield Jr in round two also maybe with the second pick depending on how it all plays out.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Reagor is good but he’s another tiny target. The Colts really need some size in their receiving corps. 

One guy not mentioned yet: Shenault from Colorado. He fits the XL wideout the Colts could use, and he’s a talent. I could live with him at 34. 

Reagor isn't really that small. He just isn't a Claypool or Pittman.

7 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I haven't followed any draft stuff. But now that it's close, I've checked in with a scout I trust (and have paid sub to).  Here's his Wide Receiver Scout list:

6.9 – 6.5 = Immediate Starter, Early 1st Round
None
6.5 = Starter, Mid to Late 1st Round Value (4)
1. JERRY JEUDY–ALABAMA
2. CEE DEE LAMB–OKLAHOMA
3. HENRY RUGGS–ALABAMA
4. JUSTIN JEFFERSON–LSU

6.4 – 6.0 = Potential Starter, Early 2nd Round Value  (4)
5. TEE HIGGINS–CLEMSON
6. BRANDON AIYUK–ARIZONA STATE (SLOT/RS)
7. LAVISKA SHENAULT–COLORADO (X,Z,SL)
8. DENZEL MIMS–BAYLOR
9. KJ HAMLER–PENN STATE (SL)

6.0 = Mid to Late 2nd Round Value  (2)

10. JALEN TEAGOR–TCU
11. VAN JEFFERSON–FLORIDA

5.9 – 5.5 = Has a chance to make and Contribute, 3rd Round Value  (6)

12. TYLER JOHNSON–MINNESOTA
13. MICHAEL PITTMAN–USC
14. KJ HILL–OHIO STATE
15. CHASE CLAYPOOL–NOTRE DAME (HB)
16. ANTONIO GIBSON–MEMPHIS
17. JAUAN JENNINGS–TENNESSEE

7 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

All in list above too.

7 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

See #9 above.  BTW, wasn't T.Y. Hilton a 3rd round pick, #92 overall?

I don’t think we need to experiment with anymore hybrid players. That hasn’t really worked out for us (Tyquan Lewis, Banogu). The easy answer is just draft a high end TE (Kmet) and then a true #1/#2 receiver (Mims, Pittman, Edwards, etc...)

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think we need to experiment with anymore hybrid players. That hasn’t really worked out for us (Tyquan Lewis, Banogu). The easy answer is just draft a high end TE (Kmet) and then a true #1/#2 receiver (Mims, Pittman, Edwards, etc...)

Pretty straight forward and not a bad plan. Maybe in reverse order: WR at 34;  TE at 44. Mims and Kmet would be a big day 2 for the Colts. 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, richard pallo said:

All I know is Ballard needs to find a WR who can take the double team away from TY.  Without that player our WR corp is average at best.  Our running game is a Mack injury away from being barely average.  Ballard might want to think about adding a big RB early and run the ball even more behind that great line of ours.  A QB's best friend is a big running game.  

You know, I hadn't even considered that, but that's actually a really good idea. Especially with another pick just 10 spots later to get one of this deep class's receivers. Could you imagine a combo of Mack and, say, Dobbins pounding down defenses for 4 full quarters behind that line? Or heck, save the draft pick and sign still available Carlos Hyde, who's been productive everywhere he's been so far in his career.

Man, the more I think about it, that's exactly what I would do. Take a really good running game, add one more quality piece, and make it the game's most dominant running game.

Plus, good backs are much more capable of being productive in this league from day one, unlike receivers, who usually take their entire rookie seasons to develop into consistent performers.

I really, really like this approach, especially if they do indeed have the opportunity to add that high quality 2nd back.

They talk competition if they love RB in 2nd then take him. I'd take one in 4h to 7 rd. Size tough runner inside ! We don't know what they will do but you can't tell me that Banago was best available last yr ! They picked who they wanted ! Not best player !!!!

Just now, coltsfan40 said:

They talk competition if they love RB in 2nd then take him. I'd take one in 4h to 7 rd. Size tough runner inside ! We don't know what they will do but you can't tell me that Banogu was best available last yr ! They picked who they wanted ! Not best player !!!!

On 4/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, coltsfan40 said:

They talk competition if they love RB in 2nd then take him. I'd take one in 4h to 7 rd. Size tough runner inside ! We don't know what they will do but you can't tell me that Banago was best available last yr ! They picked who they wanted ! Not best player !!!!

You are correct that he picks who he wants. I will say that it’s possible, nay even probable, that those players he picks are indeed the BPA according to his board. 

No need to go TE early in this draft. There are great options like Hunter Bryant, Harrison Bryant and Dalton Keene (and probably others) that can be had much later. They are all downfield receiving options like Eric Ebron was (not saying they are as good as 2018 Ebron). If you want more of a big bodied all around TE you could go with Thaddeus Moss out of LSU. Not a GREAT athlete like his dad, but could be a very functional all-around TE in the league with a 4th or 5th round pick. Colby Parkinson from Stanforfd could also be a great all-around later round choice. I would like to see them use 34 or 44 for one of the top, big bodied guys, and then trade the other pick for a late 2nd and try to pick up a late 2nd and an additional 3rd or 4th. There will still be plenty of really good WRs available there.

22 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

What do you do with a non-mobile, aging QB?  Run the ball!  I believe the signing of Nix has signaled their intent this season.  Run combined with short, quick hitting passing game.

And Playaction, bust over the top.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, richard pallo said:

I will go one step further.  He needs to find TYs replacement. I believe he is a free agent and I doubt they resign him based on his recent injuries

Archived