Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Haskins

Colts1324

During the draft, in the recording of the "With the Next Pick Series" after Washington picks Haskins, Ballard is on the phone with the GM and sounds sincerely excited for them saying "you got your qb!"

Now i don't think we will get haskins or that he is a fit here but i don't think Ballard sees him as a JAG player either.    

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a Colt fan I hope Rivers balls out.

But I have to be honest, I am skeptical about Rivers. I wanted younger, not older. 

Personally I wanted Bridgewater and like his contract much more than what Rivers signed for. 

Everyone definitely is entitled to their own opinion... personally, ive never been impressed with Bridgewater...and i think Rivers could have a big couple of years, here.

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Everyone definitely is entitled to their own opinion... personally, ive never been impressed with Bridgewater...and i think Rivers could have a big couple of years, here.

Teddy never impressed me either.   I did think he was going to get a 5-6 year contract, but the Panthers got him for 3 years. 

I hate to pile on one of my fellow Buckeyes, but anyone who knows me knows I wanted to keep Burrow.   When he got hurt, the competition was over.  

Haskins has the better arm.  Burrow has a better understanding of the game.  

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They are both equally bad ability-wise. Only difference is Trubisky is $15 million dollars cheaper, is younger, and has more potential. Trubisky is probably Chad Kelly if he were a 1st round pick and got the opportunity to play from day 1.

So they are both trash cans, but I'll take the trash can that saves me $15 million and has some potential still.

Have you ever watched a bears game. If you have you would be able to see that their o line was one of the worst last year. Not to mention the lackluster performance from the defense, due to Akiem Hicks being hurt. Trubisky has had to deal with 2 different head coaches and now 3 O coordinators in his short 3 year career. As well as Nagy's offense being a very complicated playbook and basically a rookie season for QBs who play in it the first year. 

He also didn't have anyone to throw to other than A rob. Trubisky has showed tons of promise of being a good QB in the NFL, now I don't think he'll ever be elite but he isn't a bust. If he had a better situation, IDK like Pat Mahomes. Let's just say his career would be far different. I would love to have Trubisky sit behind Rivers for a year or two and then let him take reins. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Teddy never impressed me either.   I did think he was going to get a 5-6 year contract, but the Panthers got him for 3 years. 

He is basically Brissett with less of an arm, to me, as far as his potential.  Good quality back up that could win a few games when needed, but not someone to build the franchise around.  I'd rather have Winston than Bridgewater...more talent, better arm and could be coached out of some of his mistakes, now that he isnt in Arians' "no risk it, no biscuit" offense

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a Colt fan I hope Rivers balls out.

But I have to be honest, I am skeptical about Rivers. I wanted younger, not older. 

Personally I wanted Bridgewater and like his contract much more than what Rivers signed for. 

Now days QB's can play until they are 40 and even older and be effective. See Brady and Brees. Peyton was almost 40 before he retired, turned 40 that March after he won the SB. Only reason why he retired was because of his neck. He couldn't throw anymore or he would be like Brady and Brees. Rivers is 100% healthy and only 38. When it comes to all other positions, I prefer players that are 28 or younger that I agree with you with exception of Kickers, Kickers can play into their 40's as well. 

21 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Rivers will be around for the next 2 years or so, but I wouldn't mind sending our 2nd 2nd rounder or a 3rd and 6th round pick for Dwayne Haskins to take over the keys after he retires. He has a ton of talent, but needs a coach willing to give him a little more time.

Assuming Jordan Love isn't within reach of course

21 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

Pass.. if Foles starts for the Bears I’d take a run at at Trubisky if he could be had cheap.. come in for the year and learn the playbook. 

11 hours ago, Shive said:

I've mentioned this on here before too. I don't love the idea, but I also don't think much of Nagy as a coach or offensive mind, so I think some of Mitch's issues could be due to bad coaching/development. He checked every box coming out of college aside from starting experience. For comparison:

Brissett:

|Year|GS|Cmp| Att|Cmp%| Yds |TD|Int|Rate|
|2019|15| 272 |447|  60.9  |2942|18 | 6  | 88.0|

Trubisky:

|Year|GS|Cmp| Att|Cmp%| Yds |TD|Int|Rate|
|2018|14| 289 |434|  66.6  |3223| 24| 12| 95.4|
|2019|15| 326 |516|  63.2  |3138| 17| 10| 83.0| 

Allow Mitch to sit behind Rivers for a year or so, get real tutelage, and I think he could good.

What. Is. Happening.

Kirk Cousins has an option out year with Vikings next off-season. After that, he and Vikings would be locked together for two more years as the salary gets guaranteed for 2022 as well. If Vikings keep him, they would have 31 million and 45 million cap hit in next two years, so there's a chance Vikings could like to trade him.

Vikings continue to lose talent and his contract would constrict them in next two years if they keep him, and they'd be forced to let more players go. So there's a window next off-season where both may go different ways.

If Colts like him, he might be one of the QBs in their mind. 

Trade for him and sign him to a contract you like, and see how it goes. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Now days QB's can play until they are 40 and even older and be effective. See Brady and Brees. Peyton was almost 40 before he retired, turned 40 that March after he won the SB. Only reason why he retired was because of his neck. He couldn't throw anymore or he would be like Brady and Brees. Rivers is 100% healthy and only 38. When it comes to all other positions, I prefer players that are 28 or younger that I agree with you with exception of Kickers, Kickers can play into their 40's as well. 

Yeah, George Blanda played till he was 48. He did play back up QB a couple of times in his 25th an 26th season. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, George Blanda played till he was 48. He did play back up QB a couple of times in his 25th an 26th season. 

Yes he did, Blanda took it to the extreme lmao . This season will show us if Rivers does indeed still have it. I put our overall wins at 9.5 on a bet. I say 9 or 10 with the roster we have. I would bet over and say 10 because I think Ballard will nail the draft.

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Kirk Cousins has an option out year with Vikings next off-season. After that, he and Vikings would be locked together for two more years as the salary gets guaranteed for 2022 as well. If Vikings keep him, they would have 31 million and 45 million cap hit in next two years, so there's a chance Vikings could like to trade him.

Vikings continue to lose talent and his contract would constrict them in next two years if they keep him, and they'd be forced to let more players go. So there's a window next off-season where both may go different ways.

If Colts like him, he might be one of the QBs in their mind. 

Trade for him and sign him to a contract you like, and see how it goes. 

I realize Case Keenum took you deep in 2017 but he was fools gold. Normally a journey man QB/backup doesn't do that. The end result was getting blown out by the Eagles in the NFC Title Game 38-7. Kirk Cousins is a top 15 QB in the league which means he is above average. He and his team beat the Saints at New Orleans in the playoffs. Keenum beat the Saints at home on a miracle in the playoffs. Be happy with Kirk.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depending on what kind of season Rivers has, we may re-sign him to another year. If we win the division I could see that.

Rivers behind a great Oline and playing for the greatest fan base he’s ever played for with a real homefield advantage ? Think Benjamin Button folks this guy LOVES FOOTBALL 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I realize Case Keenum took you deep in 2017 but he was fools gold. Normally a journey man QB/backup doesn't do that. The end result was getting blown out by the Eagles in the NFC Title Game 38-7. Kirk Cousins is a top 15 QB in the league which means he is above average. He and his team beat the Saints at New Orleans in the playoffs. Keenum beat the Saints at home on a miracle in the playoffs. Be happy with Kirk.

I realize Kirk Cousins took us deep in 2019 but he was fool's gold. Normally an average QB (bottom of top 15) doesn't do that. The end result was getting blown out by 49ers 10-27 without even reaching the NFC title game. Cousins beat the saints in the playoffs in over time on a ticky tacky no-pass interference call on third down in red zone, couldn't beat the saints in regulation while leading 20-10 like we did in 2017. See, it could be interpreted a number of ways.

Anyway, I was not trying to make it a Cousins debate. 

Colts need a QB, I suggested there's a chance to get Cousins. Whether I'm happy with the current situation has nothing to do with this, there's a chance Cousins could be available after 2020 season and if not, he and Vikings would be tied up until 2022. 

As the discussion is about all the QBs that could be had for Colts, I wanted to mention another option.

I’m not in favor of trading for him but I don’t see why he’s getting crapped on so much. He went to one of the worst organizations you can go to, and improved exponentially as the season went along. His numbers were pedestrian but geez give the guy a chance to show something before you dump him Washington. I don’t pretend to follow the Skins in any way and have no idea where they’re leaning but it’s not like Tua is some great, surefire prospect. I felt for Haskins in that video where he was trying to motivate his Oline and they rolled their eyes at him. I hope he has a long, healthy, successful career. 

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I realize Kirk Cousins took us deep in 2019 but he was fool's gold. Normally an average QB (bottom of top 15) doesn't do that. The end result was getting blown out by 49ers 10-27 without even reaching the NFC title game. Cousins beat the saints in the playoffs in over time on a ticky tacky no-pass interference call on third down in red zone, couldn't beat the saints in regulation while leading 20-10 like we did in 2017. See, it could be interpreted a number of ways.

Anyway, I was not trying to make it a Cousins debate. 

Colts need a QB, I suggested there's a chance to get Cousins. Whether I'm happy with the current situation has nothing to do with this, there's a chance Cousins could be available after 2020 season and if not, he and Vikings would be tied up until 2022. 

As the discussion is about all the QBs that could be had for Colts, I wanted to mention another option.

yeah well dont give me hope lol cause I would be doing backflips down the street if we got Kirk on the Colts!!!

I guess I should of stated I'm a big Ohio State fan too.

Y'all fed me to the tigers faster than Carol Baskin did to her dead husband!! My opinion, yours all suck. We know this lol

Haskins will be a solid starter in this league in a year or two. He was considered a steal at 15 last year, and most projected him @ no. 6 to NY. He's got the talent. 

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Tough crowd. 

Haskins just needs time to develop

He only had 1 year CF starting

Right! This forum reminds me of the old high school football locker room! Never stated we would actually pull the trigger on a trade for him, but he is easily worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

yeah well dont give me hope lol cause I would be doing backflips down the street if we got Kirk on the Colts!!!

I am not sold on he could take us to a SB but he is still young and above average to good so with him we would consistently win 10 games every year IMO. With Ballard at GM keeping our team good in other area's and Kirk at QB we would 10 games every year, maybe a SB if we had a dominant D.

I don't get this. Some of you would take Mitch or Haskins as a "project" to work behind Rivers but not Winston? I would take Winston in a freaking heartbeat, he's a gun slinger who needs to learn when not to pull the trigger, but damn he's good. Doubt he would sit behind someone for back up money, but if it could be arranged  it would be a grand slam..

How many other people don’t think any of the options are good?  I don’t want any of the FAs, backups, failed Or questionable draft picks on other teams and really not a fan of this draft class besides Tua and maybe Jacob Eason. It appears Ballard bought himself another year or two with the best option that was out there. Everyone else kinda sucks or has so many questions it’s not worth it. I will be interested to see if Ballard trades up into end of the first to draft a guy if he falls. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I don't get this. Some of you would take Mitch or Haskins as a "project" to work behind Rivers but not Winston? I would take Winston in a freaking heartbeat, he's a gun slinger who needs to learn when not to pull the trigger, but damn he's good. Doubt he would sit behind someone for back up money, but if it could be arranged  it would be a grand slam..

Watson on this team would be lit. 

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

That’s the only guy  mentioned that I would want. If only OBrien and he don’t get along and demands a trade.  That imo would interest our FO.

The only roadblock if he put Watson on the trade block would be that we’re in the same division. He’d probably take offers from

NFC teams over us...

On 4/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, Shive said:

Oh definitely. I still look at it from the perspective of what we got from JB is what we'll always get from JB and you've seen moments of greatness from Trubisky, with also moments of "wth". He still has way more upside though and I'd bet Reich could really help with his development.

I still wish we would have seen Kelly in action the couple of weeks last season just to see what we have in him.

Meh it seems to me that if JB improved his downfield accuracy and also showed more willingness to chuck it downfield we could stick with him.  

To be fair I'm not totally sold that Trubisky couldn't improve.  But after 2 years in the NFL I'm not liking the chances.  

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Meh it seems to me that if JB improved his downfield accuracy and also showed more willingness to chuck it downfield we could stick with him.  

To be fair I'm not totally sold that Trubisky couldn't improve.  But after 2 years in the NFL I'm not liking the chances.  

My issue with JB is that he's consistently shown the same thing in college, in 2017, and in 2019. I don't see anything changing with his willingness to throw deep and his accuracy to do so.

I'm definitely not sold on Trubisky, but again, I really don't think Nagy is anywhere near the "offensive genius" he was touted to be and could be significantly stunting Mitch's development.

If a move like this were to be made, I'd trust that Ballard and Reich think any deficiencies with Trubisky are coachable & correctable. I'd also be ok with it never happening, because that tells me the inverse.

4 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Crazy to see everyone hate on Haskins, because he hasn't developed into a star yet, while in the same breath want to draft another project who will need time as well to develop, in Love. Makes no sense.

Haskins will make a significant jump this year, IMO.

I thought Baltimore and Indianapolis Colts learned their lessons a while back with picking Ohio state QB's. They are not a qb school. Seattle  and Kansas city have good Qb's. They are the exception, not the norm. Reading defenses, understanding the playbook and staying in the pocket are a tall order for most QB's. It is impossible for guys like Brisset, Haskins, Hopkins,Bridgwater, j'marcus russel, Love, Tua ect ect ect.

Archived