Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
1959Colts

Colts plan to "Have a Sitdown" w/ Vinatieri to discuss his future

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, egg said:

 

I'm not trying to start an argument. I respect you as a poster, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. And after all, it's just a game..........

 

......But I am absolutely shocked that some intelligent and thoughtful die-hard fans like yourself, after witnessing AV's performance last year, together with his old age, would not be upset.

 

In my opinion, if AV wants to return to the Colts, his priority is personal records, and not what is best for the team. And if the Colts re-sign him, they are being foolish.

 

 

A few things:

 

One:  I try really hard to not get upset about things of which, I have no control.

Two:  I trust the process of the Colts, meaning if the Colts sign AV then it's because they have tested him and are assured as can be that his issues last year were not because he's lost it, mentally or physically.  I don't think they would sign him for sentimental reasons.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, Myles said:

That seems like some cheery-picking of stats.

Chase was 4/5 form 40-49 yards.

Adam was 3/7 from 40-49 yards.

 

Chase was 26/26 for XP

Adam was 22/28 for XP

 

I don't know who is the better kicker right now, but it is not Adam by a landslide.   Chase would be cheaper and probably better than a 47 year old who has been sliding for the past 5 years.   It's not just 2019.  

 

Chase missed 3 kicks from 40-49 yards.  Your stats are false.  No more argument from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

A few things:

 

One:  I try really hard to not get upset about things of which, I have no control.

Two:  I trust the process of the Colts, meaning if the Colts sign AV then it's because they have tested him and are assured as can be that his issues last year were not because he's lost it, mentally or physically.  I don't think they would sign him for sentimental reasons.

 

This I don’t think the Colts should re-sign Adam but I have no control over the situation so my opinion on the matter means jack squat so there is no real reason to get upset over it.  I can disagree with it but I have no control over the situation.  The only thing I could do is not be a Colts fan anymore and it’s going to take a lot more than re-signing Adam to do that.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

A few things:

 

One:  I try really hard to not get upset about things of which, I have no control.

Two:  I trust the process of the Colts, meaning if the Colts sign AV then it's because they have tested him and are assured as can be that his issues last year were not because he's lost it, mentally or physically.  I don't think they would sign him for sentimental reasons.

 

 

One:  I get really upset about things that cost my Colts wins and therefore, playoff chances!

Two:  I find it hard to trust the process of the Colts, especially Coach Frank when he continues to believe that Adam V and Jacoby B are his guys!!!  WTH are you watching Coach????

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all in on Chase and after last season, I know it's finally time to move on from Vinatieri. I wouldn't be shocked if CB drafted a Kicker late in the draft or picked up a veteran before training camp to compete with Chase. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

 

One:  I get really upset about things that cost my Colts wins and therefore, playoff chances!

Two:  I find it hard to trust the process of the Colts, especially Coach Frank when he continues to believe that Adam V and Jacoby B are his guys!!!  WTH are you watching Coach????

Ahh, so you are one of those types.  I see.  

 

And do you mean you don't trust the process that brought the 2nd most desired free agent QB to start over JB?  Or the process that had the Colts trying out kickers during the season twice, and as soon as the kicker they wanted became available last year, they signed him and moved AV to IR.

 

When I was posting my comment, I was going to add a #3 but I didn't think it was really needed on this forum but I see it may be.

 

And 3:  I'm not one of those fans that think; because I watch them for a few hours during the game and read a few articles during the week, that I understand the full situation or know things better than the coach or front office.  I realize that my reactions are based on about 1/10th (and that is probably being generous)of the information and that is not enough to make a truly informed decision.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Too many people get too wanged about things outside their control.  Would I sign AV?  Probably not.  But on the flip side I will not be upset if he is no longer a Colts nor will I be upset if the Colts sign him to a new contract.

"Wanged?"   :woah:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

 

I find it hard to trust the process of the Colts, especially Coach Frank when he continues to believe that Adam V and Jacoby B are his guys!!!  WTH are you watching Coach????

What makes you think he believes Brissett is "his guy"?

I will be disappointed if AV is the kicker to start the season, but I'll still hope he does good.  

It just feels like a good time to move on from him.  

His has been trending down.  Do kickers spike up after trending down for 5 years or more very often?   I don't know.  

 

FG%

2014 - 96.8%

2015 - 92.6%

2016 - 87.1%

2017 - 85.3%

2018 - 85.2%

2019 - 68.0%

 

I would expect him to do better than the 68%.  Going by the trend, I would think he would be closer to a 82% or around there which wouldn't be horrible, but we are still unsure what the issue was last season.  Was it all due to an injury or a combination of an injury and at his age not being able to compensate.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Myles said:

What makes you think he believes Brissett is "his guy"?

I will be disappointed if AV is the kicker to start the season, but I'll still hope he does good.  

It just feels like a good time to move on from him.  

His has been trending down.  Do kickers spike up after trending down for 5 years or more very often?   I don't know.  

 

FG%

2014 - 96.8%

2015 - 92.6%

2016 - 87.1%

2017 - 85.3%

2018 - 85.2%

2019 - 68.0%

 

I would expect him to do better than the 68%.  Going by the trend, I would think he would be closer to a 82% or around there which wouldn't be horrible, but we are still unsure what the issue was last season.  Was it all due to an injury or a combination of an injury and at his age not being able to compensate.  

I agree, I think it's time to move on from AV.  But to answer your question, I don't know if kickers spike after trending down but I do know Morten Anderson's best year, percentage wise, was his last year in the league and just over 89% FG.  Another interesting thing about Anderson, he was a 79% career FG kicker

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ahh, so you are one of those types.  I see.  

What I was thinking, thanks for putting words to it. Sports is the one thing that seems to generate opinions that are not only emotionally charged, but often uninformed with a superior bias. 

 

Example: Game 16..RG has tough ankle injury, plays through it. Game 17, RT has severe nausea, partially dizzy, but still plays. Game 18, most plays are strong side right, and the backup TE misses several assignments. Teams struggles and loses last 3 games.

 

Resulting fan opinion....right side of line is regressing. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

 

One:  I get really upset about things that cost my Colts wins and therefore, playoff chances!

Two:  I find it hard to trust the process of the Colts, especially Coach Frank when he continues to believe that Adam V and Jacoby B are his guys!!!  WTH are you watching Coach????

The coach is watching much more with these players than you and me.

He sees them in practice and what he don't see personally he has a whole crew to watch and see. He talks to his coaches and trainers so yes, he is much more informed than you and me.

Agree or not he made choices based on the information his crew and him decided on. Because he didn't make the changes you thought he should have then you don't trust the process. 

Brissett was his guy in the fact Luck walked out and put this whole team in a bad spot. Like it or not Brissett was thrust into being the starter when all along he was slated to be the back up. Brissett was not setting the league on fire but was doing good enough to get us wins. Plus there were a couple of losses that should have been wins because of missed kicks by AV.

Then the injury and the loss of pretty much the whole receiving crew. If you don't think that had a negative effect on this whole offense I don't know what to tell you. 

As far as AV, they did bring in other kickers but didn't find one that could do any better. Then when Chase become a free agent they jumped on him. 

Was that the process you were talking about? 

You seem to think these coaches can snap their fingers and fix things. Sorry, it don't work that way. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign AV to a two game contract so he can reach 600 (hopefully doesn't cost us any games) and be done with it.  Reich all of a sudden filter doubts on my mind how he treats his players, he appears to coddle them too much and instead of letting them be men, warrior and try to win games.....hmmmm.

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Sign AV to a two game contract so he can reach 600 (hopefully doesn't cost us any games) and be done with it.  Reich all of a sudden filter doubts on my mind how he treats his players, he appears to coddle them too much and instead of letting them be men, warrior and try to win games.....hmmmm.

In case you haven’t figured this out yet — and you clearly haven’t.....

 

The status of AV on this team isn’t just a decision by Frank Reich.  He doesn’t have final say.   Chris Ballard does.   So he has more input than Frank.

 

And when it comes to future Hall if Game players, even Jim Irsay gets to have inout in the decision.


So please stop with the coddling nonsense....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In case you haven’t figured this out yet — and you clearly haven’t.....

 

The status of AV on this team isn’t just a decision by Frank Reich.  He doesn’t have final say.   Chris Ballard does.   So he has more input than Frank.

 

And when it comes to future Hall if Game players, even Jim Irsay gets to have inout in the decision.


So please stop with the coddling nonsense....  

As you say, Irsay may have some input, as well.  Maybe the most.    :^)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Ahh, so you are one of those types.  I see.  

 

And do you mean you don't trust the process that brought the 2nd most desired free agent QB to start over JB?  Or the process that had the Colts trying out kickers during the season twice, and as soon as the kicker they wanted became available last year, they signed him and moved AV to IR.

 

When I was posting my comment, I was going to add a #3 but I didn't think it was really needed on this forum but I see it may be.

 

And 3:  I'm not one of those fans that think; because I watch them for a few hours during the game and read a few articles during the week, that I understand the full situation or know things better than the coach or front office.  I realize that my reactions are based on about 1/10th (and that is probably being generous)of the information and that is not enough to make a truly informed decision.

Coffee, my BIGGEST and really only issue with this staff is the nonsense that spoos out of their mouths!  Luckily for all of us is their actions don’t come close to their words.  All of Colts Nation watch the same game as the front office but they try to sugar coat everything!  For a former qb to tell us that JB is a top 20 QB is a pure lie that you & I both know.  Now on to AV, who had his worst season ever and cost Coach Franks team at least 3 games!  We ALL know he is done and can no longer fulfill his duties but yet our front office is gonna actually think about a 2020 roster spot???  You kidding me right.  I just wish they would cut the nonsense and be honest about what we ALL see!  JB & AV are done as Colts is all I’m trying to say & I am ecstatic about what this front office has done in the off-season!!!!  If you want my honest opinion, we are a good draft away from a Super Bowl THIS YR.  I’m 100% on board with OUR front office, just cutout the nonsense as you & I are too football savvy!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, crazycolt1 said:

The coach is watching much more with these players than you and me.

He sees them in practice and what he don't see personally he has a whole crew to watch and see. He talks to his coaches and trainers so yes, he is much more informed than you and me.

Agree or not he made choices based on the information his crew and him decided on. Because he didn't make the changes you thought he should have then you don't trust the process. 

Brissett was his guy in the fact Luck walked out and put this whole team in a bad spot. Like it or not Brissett was thrust into being the starter when all along he was slated to be the back up. Brissett was not setting the league on fire but was doing good enough to get us wins. Plus there were a couple of losses that should have been wins because of missed kicks by AV.

Then the injury and the loss of pretty much the whole receiving crew. If you don't think that had a negative effect on this whole offense I don't know what to tell you. 

As far as AV, they did bring in other kickers but didn't find one that could do any better. Then when Chase become a free agent they jumped on him. 

Was that the process you were talking about? 

You seem to think these coaches can snap their fingers and fix things. Sorry, it don't work that way. 

 

 

I’m fully on board and will chalk up 2019 as a loss due to the circumstances!  It was unfortunate for Luck to retire & a GOAT to have his worst season ever.  Enter Phillip & Chase but if we can get a somewhat injury free season from TY, lookout!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, Four2itus said:

What I was thinking, thanks for putting words to it. Sports is the one thing that seems to generate opinions that are not only emotionally charged, but often uninformed with a superior bias. 

 

Example: Game 16..RG has tough ankle injury, plays through it. Game 17, RT has severe nausea, partially dizzy, but still plays. Game 18, most plays are strong side right, and the backup TE misses several assignments. Teams struggles and loses last 3 games.

 

Resulting fan opinion....right side of line is regressing. 

 

The uninformed opinion on this is if you have a player that is not 100%, why play that player when you have backup options?  It’s no secret the right side of our line is the weakest link and Glow in particular.  The uninformed says if you upgrade the RG position, this OL goes from very good to the BEST!  But hey I’m the uninformed so what the heck do I know.  Good times ahead my friend Dilly Dilly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

 

The uninformed opinion on this is if you have a player that is not 100%, why play that player when you have backup options?  It’s no secret the right side of our line is the weakest link and Glow in particular.  The uninformed says if you upgrade the RG position, this OL goes from very good to the BEST!  But hey I’m the uninformed so what the heck do I know.  Good times ahead my friend Dilly Dilly 

We've never interacted, so I'll clarify my style of posting. If I quote you directly, then I am aiming my post at you or your words. If I respond to a post talking about you, but I see a similarity between your post and a lot of other posts, I won't quote you, but refer to it as a general post that I see a trend of posting that is similar. What I see as a common style of thinking...is that the casual fan thinks they know more than the coaching staff, and I don't agree with that. 

 

Peace. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Colts thought that even a struggling AV was still better than all the kickers who were available last year, or maybe they simply decided, to quote an old idiom "Better the devil you know than the one you don't"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still say you are the field general, you are involved directly with the players performance and you make the call in terms of what's best for the team. The injury with AV was evident on the first miss. Should have acted by then from the medical staff input. As a result no playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 1:47 AM, Four2itus said:

We've never interacted, so I'll clarify my style of posting. If I quote you directly, then I am aiming my post at you or your words. If I respond to a post talking about you, but I see a similarity between your post and a lot of other posts, I won't quote you, but refer to it as a general post that I see a trend of posting that is similar. What I see as a common style of thinking...is that the casual fan thinks they know more than the coaching staff, and I don't agree with that. 

 

Peace. 

 

 

No worries as none of us are wrong or right, just opinions until time says otherwise.  I'm hoping this topic is irrelevant for the 2020 season for all our sakes.   

 

Peace.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 6:08 PM, BornHoosier said:

 

The uninformed opinion on this is if you have a player that is not 100%, why play that player when you have backup options?  It’s no secret the right side of our line is the weakest link and Glow in particular.  The uninformed says if you upgrade the RG position, this OL goes from very good to the BEST!  But hey I’m the uninformed so what the heck do I know.  Good times ahead my friend Dilly Dilly 

Actually, the uninformed think that if the team adds the player the fan wants them to add or gets rid of the player the fan wants them to get rid of will make the team better and then gets upset if the team does not do what the fan wanted them to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 9:01 AM, coltsva said:

Maybe the Colts thought that even a struggling AV was still better than all the kickers who were available last year, or maybe they simply decided, to quote an old idiom "Better the devil you know than the one you don't"

 

 

Results are all that matter. You have to get young at some point in your team's lifespan, and Belichick moved on from Vinatieri to Gostkowski pouring all his resources into him, and now he is moving on from Gostkowski, to whomever, no one knows. If anyone is raising their hand telling me they knew Gostkowski would turn out to be just as good when he replaced Vinatieri, they are lying. Outside 2006 and 2010, when he was around 76%, Gostkowski had 83% or better on FGs since 2006 and PATs were 94% or higher every single year outside the terrible 2019 after which he was let go.

 

It is wasted resources, having a foot neither here nor there, if you cannot make a decision. It helps the team move on and go all in on someone they want to develop or draft. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Results are all that matter. You have to get young at some point in your team's lifespan, and Belichick moved on from Vinatieri to Gostkowski pouring all his resources into him, and now he is moving on from Gostkowski, to whomever, no one knows. If anyone is raising their hand telling me they knew Gostkowski would turn out to be just as good when he replaced Vinatieri, they are lying. Outside 2006 and 2010, when he was around 76%, Gostkowski had 83% or better on FGs since 2006 and PATs were 94% or higher every single year outside the terrible 2019 after which he was let go.

 

It is wasted resources, having a foot neither here nor there, if you cannot make a decision. It helps the team move on and go all in on someone they want to develop or draft. 

 

 

Agree completely. I was 100% in favor of trying someone new last year. In fact, I stated on here I thought the Colts should have parted ways in 2018 and kept Badgley, but that's ancient history.

 

I wasn't a fan of the other guy in training camp in 2019, so I understood going with AV to start the season. But based on his performance(s), he should have been replaced earlier in the season. The fact that they may let him come back and compete for the job is mind boggling to me. They are setting themselves up to be right back in the position that they were in last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, Myles said:

Exactly.   There should be no need for a discussion.  AV should not even want to come back and he certainly shouldn't put the Colts in a position where they feel they owe it to him.   He cashed in all his IOU's last season.   I'll be pretty bummed if they bring AV back.   Don't let Chase go.  The kid is good.   On XP's, he was 79/79 in college and is 26/26 in the NFL.   From 50+ he was 3/3.   Colts would be foolish to let him go and keep an over the hill lesser kicker.

Agreed! I know this an an old post but for real. I love AV, for what he's done, but I kind of hope he makes the decision easier on us and retires. In an ideal world he could stay on in some other capacity, maybe coaching or training, but Chase looked good last season and Blankship shows promise too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 9:01 AM, coltsva said:

Maybe the Colts thought that even a struggling AV was still better than all the kickers who were available last year, or maybe they simply decided, to quote an old idiom "Better the devil you know than the one you don't"

 

I can easily see them having an open camp competition between chase, V, and Rod and Adam beating out the other two.  I think its time to go younger but i've been thinking that for 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, neug3246 said:

I agree. Moving on from Manning was way harder bc he was drafted as a Colt. AV shouldn't be a question considering he came over from the Patriots.

Re-watching that game from 2005 it was strange to see him kicking for the pats.  He's been a colt for so long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, P'Son said:

I think Clark Kent beats out both Adam and Chase.

My “underdog “ favorite.  Love the storyline!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised that they already know he is retiring and that prompted the Blankenship signing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I didn’t say you did.  I said they were.   Marvin is fifth in career catches and Wayne is 10th.  Bruce is 13th and Holt doesn’t make the top 13.   Holt is 16th in career yards and 36th in TDs.     So Harrison tops Bruce in catches and TDs while Bruce has the edge in yards.  I think TDs and catches are much more important than yards. Wayne tops Holt in everything and tops Bruce in catches.     As a duo give me Harrison and Wayne.   Moss and Carter is another good duo although it was short lived and the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann.  Those are the best sets I can come up with.     The Steelers have been good at producing stud WRs as a franchise but I am not sure I would take them over Harrison and Berry who are probably two of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game and Wayne who is also probably going to end up a Hall of Famer.  
    • Where did I say they were?  Harrison and Wayne were 9th and 10th in career yards while Bruce was 5th. Harrison was 5th in TDs while Wayne was 24th. Bruce was 12th.  So it's debatable.   
    • Wayne and Harrison were just as good.
    • The St. Louis Rams had a couple of great WRs with Holt 1999-2008 and Bruce 1994-2007. Kind of hard to beat those two at the same time. Add Faulk 1999-2005 as he was maybe the best RB receiver in history. 
    • I love what Ballard has done with the roster, but honestly could care less about rankings.  Give me Ws...   Sorry man, couldn't help myself!  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...