Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts plan to "Have a Sitdown" w/ Vinatieri to discuss his future

1959Colts

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

just a thought, but we could carry both if we wanted. Give AV the chance to redeem himself, if he doesn't, cut him with a kicker on the roster.

Carry both?!?

WTH?!?

Ballard doesn’t even like carrying three QBs, so he’s not carrying three kickers (two kickers plus one punter). That’s one less player for special teams.   I don’t think that’s a viable situation for Ballard. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Let's do it! Even if it costs us a couple games,who cares.:thmup:

I really hope this is sarcasm at its finest!!!  4 cost us at least 3-4 games on his own last season as we went from 10-6 or 11-5 to 7-9 with embarrassing moments that I chose to not repeat!  This is silly that the Colts even think about another yr of embarrassment!!!  The Pittsburgh game cost me $1500 in replacing my tv, please NO!

12 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

It is kinda crazy to think they would keep 2. But.  Look at how many teams struggled to find a kicker last yr and over the past few. They have a guy like Chase which I like BTW and then the floor drops out and he gets cut.  Some costing playoff wins.

I may be mistaken but doesn't AV have a couple of records in sight this yr?  Not a reason to keep him, but I would rather he got them here than somewhere else.

Again  not saying keep him, I'm just being open minded

He's made 34 more FGs than Morten Anderson (599 to 565).  He has the most points in NFL history.  He also has 129 more total points than Mort (2,673 to 2,544, which is 110 points more than Gary Anderson who is 3rd at 2,434).  

He's 69 XP away from catching George Blanda (that's more than a season's worth of work).  And he has 599 total FGs, so he'd be the first to get to 600 if he makes one... kind of a milestone, but he's already the all-time leading point scorer and all-time FG made guy (which in my opinion are better than 'being the first to hit 600' -- he's already got 34 more than the next best guy in history and he did it in 2 less seasons).  

5 hours ago, k9copinmd said:

If there is a way to keep AV  long enough to get the record that would be pretty cool. Then have him retire and Chase take over after that. That may be a dream scenario but I would to like to see it.

According to Reich, he doesn't want to make a decision until Adam's fully healthy and evaluates what he wants to do.  He'd obviously have  to take a pay cut if he wanted to come back, even if just for a tryout.  

If he wasn't fully healthy before last year started, I wouldn't be shocked if he could out compete Chase.  Let's not forget, Chase went undrafted last year (not uncommon for a kicker) got cut by Buffalo. Got signed to Minnesota for 9 days and was cut from their practice squad.  Went to LA for ~4 weeks and got cut (he went 6-9 for them with 3 misses inside 50 yards). Then went to San Fran for about 3 weeks and got cut by them.  He missed a game winner in OT against SEA.  When he came to Indy, he missed a 47 yarder which would have made that Bucs game 38-31 in the 4th quarter, instead we lost 38-35 (potentially cost us that game).  He missed 5 FGs in 11 games, all within 50 yards.  Sure the kid has potential, but there was a reason he was available to us late in the season, it's because he was missing FGs before he came here.

If Vinny wants to come back, I'd be all for seeing a fair battle between him, Chase and any other K we may acquire (potential UDFA).  May the best (and healthiest) man win.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

This should not be a tough decision for the front office.  You have a superior kicker on the roster.   

We could be in just as many 1-score games, no one knows.   Pick the better kicker.    We've already did him a solid by keeping him this long.

Good or bad we know that Irsay struggles letting go of players he considers friends. It would be a tough decision for him IMO. 

AV is a free agent so if he wants to continue playing he can, just with another team. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Good or bad we know that Irsay struggles letting go of players he considers friends. It would be a tough decision for him IMO. 

AV is a free agent so if he wants to continue playing he can, just with another team. 

If he was truly injured before last season (I think he said after he went to IR that he regretted not having his knee cleaned up in the offseason), I would really not be shocked if he did get his knee scoped/cleaned up a bit and worked his tail off, that he could be productive for another year (I would also not be shocked if he is washed up and doesn't even want to play anymore).  Regardless, if he does want to continue playing, I see no problem in us bringing him in at a lower rate than he was making and giving him a fair tryout.  

9 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

If he wasn't fully healthy before last year started, I wouldn't be shocked if he could out compete Chase.  Let's not forget, Chase went undrafted last year (not uncommon for a kicker) got cut by Buffalo. Got signed to Minnesota for 9 days and was cut from their practice squad.  Went to LA for ~4 weeks and got cut (he went 6-9 for them with 3 misses inside 50 yards). Then went to San Fran for about 3 weeks and got cut by them.  He missed a game winner in OT against SEA.  When he came to Indy, he missed a 47 yarder which would have made that Bucs game 38-31 in the 4th quarter, instead we lost 38-35 (potentially cost us that game).  He missed 5 FGs in 11 games, all within 50 yards.  Sure the kid has potential, but there was a reason he was available to us late in the season, it's because he was missing FGs before he came here.

Chase is 18/23 in his NFL career.  3/3 from 50+.  26/26 on XP (that alone would make me keep him over AV).

AV is 47 years old.   The ceiling is pretty low.  His FG% has gone down for 5 straight seasons.  Bummer he didn't get 600, but maybe 599 is the better number.   It would be dumb to keep a flawed player just to have him reach a number when the number is meaningless.   

22 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

We moved on from a HOF QB because it was the best thing long term for the team, we can move on from a HOF kicker because it's the best thing for the team.  

Of course it seemed like it at the time but in hindsight, was it best long term.  After Manning left he went to the playoffs 4 straight years went to the SB twice and won one of them.  While the Colts have only been to the playoffs 4 times and the future QB upped and quit on the team and left the Colts searching once again for a QB.

Again in hindsight it would have been better to keep Manning, trade the #1 pick, go all out in FA like Denver did and looked for a QB after his retirement.  There were fans who suggested doing that at the time (I was not one of them) but I remember the discussions.

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Of course it seemed like it at the time but in hindsight, was it best long term.  After Manning left he went to the playoffs 4 straight years went to the SB twice and won one of them.  While the Colts have only been to the playoffs 4 times and the future QB upped and quit on the team and left the Colts searching once again for a QB.

Again in hindsight it would have been better to keep Manning, trade the #1 pick, go all out in FA like Denver did and looked for a QB after his retirement.  There were fans who suggested doing that at the time (I was not one of them) but I remember the discussions.

I don't think doing that would have netted another SB ring.  Especially with Grigson in charge, but even if you had someone else in charge, the core of the Manning teams was aging to the point of ineffectiveness.  

35 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think doing that would have netted another SB ring.  Especially with Grigson in charge, but even if you had someone else in charge, the core of the Manning teams was aging to the point of ineffectiveness.  

Grigs had his issues but he did help put together a team that went to the AFCCG.  So to think they could not have gone to the SB with Manning doesn't make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was one of them.   I seem to remember 2 teams (Browns were one I think) who would have traded their entire draft for the Luck pick.  That would have been like a Herschel Walker type deal.  It would have allowed the team to  build a solid base.   Granted at the time I knew little about Grigson drafting talent.  But having the third pick in the 1st along with 2nd in the top of each of the other rounds would be sweet.    

I wasn't upset with not doing it and taking Luck though.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Chase is 18/23 in his NFL career.  3/3 from 50+.  26/26 on XP (that alone would make me keep him over AV).

AV is 47 years old.   The ceiling is pretty low.  His FG% has gone down for 5 straight seasons.  Bummer he didn't get 600, but maybe 599 is the better number.   It would be dumb to keep a flawed player just to have him reach a number when the number is meaningless.   

Yea, I said I think going out on top at 599 is probably more important than being the first to reach 600.  That said, some of Chase's misses have come in clutch moments (missing the OT winner from 47 vs. Seattle when he was with SF, missing the 47 yarder against TB which would have put us up by a touchdown and cooled the Bucs' momentum off in his first game in Indy come to mind).  There is a reason why he was on 3 different teams before he came to us in December.  If he was 'that good', he would have not been a free agent in December after being cut by 3 teams.  Not saying Vinny (at this point) is better, but I'm not against a competition in camp.  It'll take 20 years if he does it, but I'd bet you $100 that Chase never comes close to touching any of Adam's records -- it's not like he's a prodigy kicker.  

On 4/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, k9copinmd said:

If there is a way to keep AV  long enough to get the record that would be pretty cool. Then have him retire and Chase take over after that. That may be a dream scenario but I would to like to see it.

Come on they already signed Rivers waiting for him to get 400 tds in passing before Kelly or Brissett takes over. He needs 3 more. This is a business not a charitable opportunity for washed up players.

13 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, I said I think going out on top at 599 is probably more important than being the first to reach 600.  That said, some of Chase's misses have come in clutch moments (missing the OT winner from 47 vs. Seattle when he was with SF, missing the 47 yarder against TB which would have put us up by a touchdown and cooled the Bucs' momentum off in his first game in Indy come to mind).  There is a reason why he was on 3 different teams before he came to us in December.  If he was 'that good', he would have not been a free agent in December after being cut by 3 teams.  Not saying Vinny (at this point) is better, but I'm not against a competition in camp.  It'll take 20 years if he does it, but I'd bet you $100 that Chase never comes close to touching any of Adam's records -- it's not like he's a prodigy kicker.  

Chase was a rookie and had a pretty good rookie season.   Better than AV rookie season.

Of course Chase will never come close to what AV has accomplished.   But right now, he is the better kicker.   

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Chase was a rookie and had a pretty good rookie season.   Better than AV rookie season.

Of course Chase will never come close to what AV has accomplished.   But right now, he is the better kicker.   

Adam was 17-25 last year with 3 misses over 50 yards.  Chase was 18-23 with 5 misses from under 50 yards.  If Adam is being honest (which I think he is) and was playing injured, if he gets healthy, he's probably the better kicker.  

On 4/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

...... nor will I be upset if the Colts sign him to a new contract.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I respect you as a poster, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. And after all, it's just a game..........

......But I am absolutely shocked that some intelligent and thoughtful die-hard fans like yourself, after witnessing AV's performance last year, together with his old age, would not be upset.

In my opinion, if AV wants to return to the Colts, his priority is personal records, and not what is best for the team. And if the Colts re-sign him, they are being foolish.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Grigs had his issues but he did help put together a team that went to the AFCCG.  So to think they could not have gone to the SB with Manning doesn't make a lot of sense.

Disagree that AFC Championship game team was being run by a young mobile QB who took a beating behind that OL. 

By that point in his career Manning was a statue in the pocket and got carried to his SB win by a great defense.  

Even the year that he set all those passing records and lost the SB he was playing on a great freaking team.  His primary RB turned in a thousand yards rushing and his 2nd RB chipped in 500 more.  Plus the defense was great.  

And don't get me wrong that there was some good contributors for the Colts on that AFC championship game season.  But the team wasn't anything close to the teams that got Manning to the SB twice.   

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Adam was 17-25 last year with 3 misses over 50 yards.  Chase was 18-23 with 5 misses from under 50 yards.  

That seems like some cheery-picking of stats.

Chase was 4/5 form 40-49 yards.

Adam was 3/7 from 40-49 yards.

Chase was 26/26 for XP

Adam was 22/28 for XP

I don't know who is the better kicker right now, but it is not Adam by a landslide.   Chase would be cheaper and probably better than a 47 year old who has been sliding for the past 5 years.   It's not just 2019.  

Archived