Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Huge salary cap spike expected for 2021?

CR91

I'm not sure that's a huge spike though.  I googled it and the current cap is 198 M.  So 200 M is just a small increase.

I would also be careful as to thinking that means that re-signing all the starters is easy.  If the cap goes up the player's pay demands will go up.  

However it does mean that what looks like a big payday today starts to look like a team friendly contract in a few years. 

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure that's a huge spike though.  I googled it and the current cap is 198 M.  So 200 M is just a small increase.

I would also be careful as to thinking that means that re-signing all the starters is easy.  If the cap goes up the player's pay demands will go up.  

However it does mean that what looks like a big payday today starts to look like a team friendly contract in a few years. 

theres multiple reports that next year the cap goes to 240 million. that's a pretty large increase.  Also reports are the cap is about 198 million this year. meaning meaning IF it jumps to 240 million for 2021, thats a 42 million dollar increase.  

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

theres multiple reports that next year the cap goes to 240 million. that's a pretty large increase.  Also reports are the cap is about 198 million this year. meaning meaning IF it jumps to 240 million for 2021, thats a 42 million dollar increase.  

Oh sorry I wasn't thinking.  For some reason I thought 2021 was 2 years from now.  

That would be significant.

None the less, it only helps if we sign extensions and contracts this year before the new cap is announced.  Because after it's announced players and agents are going to be making salary demands based upon the new cap number.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh sorry I wasn't thinking.  For some reason I thought 2021 was 2 years from now.  

That would be significant.

None the less, it only helps if we sign extensions and contracts this year before the new cap is announced.  Because after it's announced players and agents are going to be making salary demands based upon the new cap number.  

i agree with that.

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would bet that the agents are well aware of the likelihood of the increase in future cap figures and are already taking that into consideration when negotiating player contracts.

Just guessing that gate receipts/live attendance will drop significantly. Even with over 50% of revenue coming from tv, attendance would impact overall revenue. 

FYI, I don’t have the revenue stream numbers. Just did a quick search.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:17 PM, coltsva said:

Just guessing that gate receipts/live attendance will drop significantly. Even with over 50% of revenue coming from tv, attendance would impact overall revenue. 

Gates don't account for much at all when it comes to paying player salaries.  Not that decreasing ticket revenue will be a help, of course.

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Gates don't account for much at all when it comes to paying player salaries.  Not that decreasing ticket revenue will be a help, of course.

The gate receipts are more about paying for the building, taxes, utilities and drawing people in for the local businesses. 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:17 PM, coltsva said:

This is what I’m thinking. We’ve just closed the world to business with no end date known yet and we are thinking the cap number couldn’t drastically go up? It is also just as conceivable that cap stays flat or goes down for a period of time in an unknown financial world. It’s one thing to get players back on the field, it’s another to say getting the financial world back up and running again. Time will tell. 

Archived