Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson

NorthernColt

Make or break year for him. Whats everyone think? He's training with Kenny Moore this offseason which is nice to see. He had a good end to the 2018 season, and just flat out didn't play last year. Really odd. Usually guys who see their playing time decrease so drastically is from discipline or off field things, but we havent really heard that. 

Whats everyone think? IMO, I feel like because he's been here for 3 years now everyone thinks he's older than he is, but he's still super young for the league. I think his press ability and size are big advantages for him going forward.

10 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Make or break year for him. Whats everyone think? He's training with Kenny Moore this offseason which is nice to see. He had a good end to the 2018 season, and just flat out didn't play last year. Really odd. Usually guys who see their playing time decrease so drastically is from discipline or off field things, but we havent really heard that. 

Whats everyone think? IMO, I feel like because he's been here for 3 years now everyone thinks he's older than he is, but he's still super young for the league. I think his press ability and size are big advantages for him going forward.

The only thing Pagano was ever right on.  The kid is lazy

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Quincy played the first 6 games, about a third of snaps per game. He just played really really bad.... Not sure if injured, but he just was simply really bad.... 30ish PFF grade for the year.

Almost McLovin level superbad

3 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Part of the reason he was a healthy scratch late in the season was because he doesn't play special teams.  When our DBs were all healthy, Milligan, Odum, Geathers and Tell all were playing STs and doing very well there.

“(Wilson’s) role early in the season was good, made a big play in Tennessee, played well vs. Kansas City, then we got healthy all the way through at all of the positions,” Ballard says. “We had five safeties we were dressing and four corners, and then a lot of it came down to special teams. Quincy’s not a core player on teams. Then you add (Rolan) Milligan, who plays on teams, you add (Clayton) Geathers, who plays on teams, you have George Odum, who plays on teams, you had Marvell Tell ascend, who plays on special teams.

“If you are not in that top-3 corner spot, that 4th and 5th corner have to be able to play on (special) teams. That 4th or 5th safety has to be able to play on teams. Those guys were more valuable.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ballard also mentioned a few times during last season that he thought Wilson's struggles were more mental than anything else.  Wilson has ideal physical traits to thrive in Ballard's defense.  Ballard also has expressed a reason he likes Wilson is because he has the traits to switch to S if needed.  The previous year, they said when we had Mike Mitchell that he took Quincy under his wing and really got him practicing hard, taught him how to watch film and prepare like a pro, etc... I'm not sure if his departure is directly related to Quincy's decline or if he had other things going on... but Ballard says after the season he had a long talk w/ Quincy and he believes he had some sort of confidence issue.

“Down the stretch, I think (Wilson’s) confidence got him a little bit down the stretch,” Ballard said. “It’s something Quincy and I talked a long time (after the season) ‘This is it, a big year for you.’

“So it’ll be interesting to see how he comes back, and his mindset, but I think it’ll be good.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/chris-ballard-to-quincy-wilson-this-is-a-big-year/

Above quotes are from the above link, which is an article from last month.  Below quotes are from the below link, which was written in May 2019.

“The thing that is so strong about Quincy and I didn’t even understand this coming out, he’s really football smart,” Ballard says of Wilson. “Right now, he’s playing 5 different spots back there. He will go corner, dime, nickel, little bit of safety. He can play a lot of roles for us.

“He’s going to compete to play corner, but on game day, he becomes very valuable, because he can play man-to-man on tight ends. That’s why having all these longer corners help you from a matchup standpoint.”

**His best game last year was by far against KC when he did a very good job at limiting Kelce (4 catches on 10 targets).

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/slimmed-down-quincy-wilson-offers-colts-desired-versatility

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Traded for a draft pick in the 5th thru 7th rounds this year or in 2021....

He's a FA  after this year.  Not sure if you're talking about getting a pick in 2021 or trading him in 2021, but it won't be the later.

And TBH, we didn't have a world class secondary last year and Wilson only play 12% of downs.  He didn't play any defensive snaps after Dec. 8.  The final two months he only played 17 total snaps on defense.  I am somewhat doubtful that a team would even consider giving up a draft pick for him at this point (maybe a 7th?).  

Quincy is 3 months younger than Ya-Sin.  I get the impression that Ballard still has high hopes for him.  Hopefully he can get his head on straight.  

It appears Wilson is no longer on the team.   Two posters said cut and already signed by New England. 

But another poster says Quincey has  been traded to the Pats for a 2021 draft pick, rounds 5 thru 7 to be determined.

So no matter how you feel about QW, it would appears his Colts days are over.  I would expect an official announcement tomorrow — Wednesday.   Good luck, Quincy, we hardly knew you.....  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It appears Wilson is no longer on the team.   Two posters said cut and already signed by New England. 

But another poster says Quincey has  been traded to the Pats for a 2021 draft pick, rounds 5 thru 7 to be determined.

So no matter how you feel about QW, it would appears his Colts days are over.  I would expect an official announcement tomorrow — Wednesday.   Good luck, Quincy, we hardly knew you.....  

I don’t think those are official or legitimate I think those are things they think are going to happen.

6 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

@CurBeatElite very nice write up. Question to the masses tho, why doesn't Quincy play on teams? You think he could be a gunner and add extra value for him to be on the active roster on Sundays, right?

Good question.  I don't know the answer.  Out of college his draft profile listed one of his strengths as his tackling ability and willingness to tackle.  One of his weaknesses was him not having great hips or great speed (4.54 forty).  Tell's faster than he is, which is an attractive trait for a gunner, but Wilson is faster (at least straight away) than Milligan or Odum.  

Maybe he doesn't want to play STs?  I'm not totally sure, but at 6'1" and ~195 lbs. (he's listed a lot of places at 211 lbs., but Ballard said before last year that he lost 7% body fat and dropped to 193 lbs.) he has the size to be an effective gunner, a 4.54 forty isn't 'too slow' to be effective as a gunner, and if his willingness to tackle is truly a strength that's something which is highly desired in a gunner.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where are these posts?   I think they were just predictions from other posters.  I highly doubt we get rid of Quincy prior to pre-season.

29 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Good question.  I don't know the answer.  Out of college his draft profile listed one of his strengths as his tackling ability and willingness to tackle.  One of his weaknesses was him not having great hips or great speed (4.54 forty).  Tell's faster than he is, which is an attractive trait for a gunner, but Wilson is faster (at least straight away) than Milligan or Odum.  

Maybe he doesn't want to play STs?  I'm not totally sure, but at 6'1" and ~195 lbs. (he's listed a lot of places at 211 lbs., but Ballard said before last year that he lost 7% body fat and dropped to 193 lbs.) he has the size to be an effective gunner, a 4.54 forty isn't 'too slow' to be effective as a gunner, and if his willingness to tackle is truly a strength that's something which is highly desired in a gunner.  

Where are these posts?   I think they were just predictions from other posters.  I highly doubt we get rid of Quincy prior to pre-season.

Where are these posts?     Huh?

They're in this thread!   Just scroll up. 

Superfly says cut and signed by another team.

John Hammond says cut and signed by the Pats. 

Scott Pennock says traded to NE for a 21 pick with some details. 

Scroll up and see for yourself. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where are these posts?     Huh?

They're in this thread!   Just scroll up. 

Superfly says cut and signed by another team.

John Hammond says cut and signed by the Pats. 

Scott Pennock says traded to NE for a 21 pick with some details. 

Scroll up and see for yourself. 

The OP says "What's everyone think? ..... What's everyone think?" meaning he's asking a question what other people think.  There is no factual basis to Superfly, John Hammond, or Scott P's posts -- they are just saying what they think.  Scott P. says nothing about NE  -- he says "Traded for a draft pick in the 5th thru 7th rounds this year or in 2021...." answering the OP's question by telling the OP what he thinks may happen with Wilson.  There are no 'details' there, and it says in this year or in 2021.

There's not a fact anywhere saying Wilson has been cut or that he's signed with New England (or any other team).

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The OP says "What's everyone think? ..... What's everyone think?" meaning he's asking a question what other people think.  There is no factual basis to Superfly, John Hammond, or Scott P's posts -- they are just saying what they think.  Scott P. says nothing about NE  -- he says "Traded for a draft pick in the 5th thru 7th rounds this year or in 2021...." answering the OP's question by telling the OP what he thinks may happen with Wilson.  There are no 'details' there, and it says in this year or in 2021.

There's not a fact anywhere saying Wilson has been cut or that he's signed with New England (or any other team).

So you’re saying they all had the same idea at roughly the same idea?

Oh-Kay.....

Ive been wrong times before and I know I’ll be wrong again.   Perhaps thus is one of those times.   I guess we will find out tomorrow....

Perhaps you’re right.  There have been no tweets from players or media to confirm.   You’d think that would’ve happened.

OK,  I’m wrong!     :thmup:

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I took NCFs post as sarcasm. 

It wasn’t.    I was simply wrong. 

Sorry for the confusion that I caused.   Not intentional.    I thought I was clearing up confusion.  Turns out the opposite.     Whoops!    Carry on!

:peek:

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wilson is still listed on the team roster.  They usually remove them very quickly if they are released or cut.

Just read some of your other posts, not trying to pile on, just an FYI.

I like Wilson, Wanted to draft him, he can tackle, has size and speed. For some reason he doesn't appear to practice hard or well. I have seen players for some reason practice poorly, or lazily, and preform on game day. But you got to earn it first. He is young, maybe feels entitled? He has landed himself in the doghouse by not doing that. I think his lack of play, plays on his confidence! The best he played was when Mike Mitchell was here, maybe he needs a big brother apparently? Either way the skill set is there, my hope he plays up to his ability this year, but hard to do when you don't see the field. Hopefully he gets it and goes out and earns it. Working with Kenny Moore is a good start!

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wilson is still listed on the team roster.  They usually remove them very quickly if they are released or cut.

Just read some of your other posts, not trying to pile on, just an FYI.

Yes....   I’m completely wrong on this.  100 percent.    I didn’t fully appreciate the nature of the discussion.

Sorry for the confusion. 

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He sucks....

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   I’m completely wrong on this.  100 percent.    I didn’t fully appreciate the nature of the discussion.

Sorry for the confusion. 

No reason for that.  I started reading the thread, came across your post and responded, then I read the rest of the thread and saw other people had pointed that out.  Like I said, my post was not meant to pile on.  

22 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Allen Iverson clone, hates practice but shows up on gamedays!  Unfortunately for him, this Org requires good practice habits to be able to dress on Sundays.  Practice, You want to talk Practice...

Not to go off topic... just a personal pet peeve of mine being a huge Iverson fan... he never said he hated practice... if you watch the interview in it’s entirety and not just the novelty “talkin bout practice” piece you’ll see he was upset about being asked why he missed practice AFTER HIS BEST FRIEND WAS MURDERED... 

had it been anyone else the clip wouldn’t have blown up like it did... but hey that’s the price of fame and going against the grain...

carry on and no disrespect meant in my response to your post bro.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:13 PM, M0NEYdontLIE said:

Not to go off topic... just a personal pet peeve of mine being a huge Iverson fan... he never said he hated practice... if you watch the interview in it’s entirety and not just the novelty “talkin bout practice” piece you’ll see he was upset about being asked why he missed practice AFTER HIS BEST FRIEND WAS MURDERED... 

had it been anyone else the clip wouldn’t have blown up like it did... but hey that’s the price of fame and going against the grain...

carry on and no disrespect meant in my response to your post bro.

IMO, Iverson was one of the best to play the game!!  I get it that the staff wants to see great practice habits but there are a few percent that can't raise their game for practice.  It's human nature, kind of like I can't go open bowling after being in a league.  I just can't do it but its practice.  I need game like butterflies and to mean something, no difference in here.  JMO

12 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

IMO, Iverson was one of the best to play the game!!  I get it that the staff wants to see great practice habits but there are a few percent that can't raise their game for practice.  It's human nature, kind of like I can't go open bowling after being in a league.  I just can't do it but its practice.  I need game like butterflies and to mean something, no difference in here.  JMO

Got you brother! I NEVER liked practice when I was a kid but LOVED the actual game experience. This staff requires players who “love the process” per se and are giving 110% effort at all times. Makes sense to me and I don’t knock it at all. That’s what makes pros pros I guess 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think the best way to use him going forward is as a cover safety who matches up with TEs and RBs. He seemed to do well covering Kelce. He has the size at 6-2, 210.

QW hasn’t been 210 in over a year.   He played last year at 193.   Down nearly 20 pounds.   Widely discussed here. 

While we all took it as a sign that Q was getting serious,  unfortunately it did not appear to help his play.   But he’s not 210 anymore. 

5 hours ago, dodsworth said:

He has been given more time than TJ Green to show his worth 

and still hasn't shown much progress. The end result is the same,

just a year later.

I usually agree with you, brother, but Green and Wilson are far apart in my world when it comes to ability, development, and how long they will play in the league. 

Of course, I could be wrong. haha

43 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I usually agree with you, brother, but Green and Wilson are far apart in my world when it comes to ability, development, and how long they will play in the league. 

Of course, I could be wrong. haha

Haha no one on here agrees all of the time. Wilson does have more ability

but appears to need pushed like a wheel barrel. He doesn't appear to

be self motivated but I could be wrong on that since Ballard would have

most likely jettisoned him by now if that were the case.

Archived