Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs have 177 dollars in cap space

danlhart87

Sammy Watkins is toast, his saving grace has been showing up for the playoffs the last 2 years but how much of it is having Hill and Kelce healthy because he did not show up when Hill was injured. Cut him, make the cap space for signing your rookies at a minimum. Also, allows you to make room by restructuring others, especially in a WR deep class.

Sammy Watkins' cap hit is $21 million. Yes, 1 player can make that big of a difference. :) 

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sammy Watkins is toast, his saving grace has been showing up for the playoffs the last 2 years but how much of it is having Hill and Kelce healthy because he did not show up when Hill was injured. Cut him, make the cap space for signing your rookies at a minimum. Also, allows you to make room by restructuring others, especially in a WR deep class.

Sammy Watkins' cap hit is $21 million. Yes, 1 player can make that big of a difference. :) 

Yeah he’s probably done. At least he got a ring. 

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Spotrac has them at minus 1.6M.  That's why Watkins will be cut and Ballard will be there to sign him.  Watkins, TY and Campbell would be an awesome trio.  Here's hoping anyway. 

Watkins is hurt way too often

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Watkins is hurt way too often

That would not stop me from signing him.  Compared to all of the receivers still available in FA he is by far the superior talent.  We are in a win now mode.  You take the chance.  Just like they are doing with Rhodes and Rivers for that matter.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of our current cap space is being ear marked for him anticipating his release.  JMO. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

That would not stop me from signing him.  Compared to all of the receivers still available in FA he is by far the superior talent.  We are in a win now mode.  You take the chance.  Just like they are doing with Rhodes and Rivers for that matter.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of our current cap space is being ear marked for him anticipating his release.  JMO. 

Watkins, Clowney etc, i think are going to command too much. I could be wrong but i just dont see us getting either of them.

Well...I think if they were asked if being in salary cap heck in 2020 was worth a SB trophy in 2019, the answer would be a resounding “yes.”

will be interesting to see if it has ramifications over the next few years.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Watkins, Clowney etc, i think are going to command too much. I could be wrong but i just dont see us getting either of them.

I don't "think" we will...  but i do hope we get both of them.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Just saw on NFL live today that Clowney has dropped his asking price to 17-18M from his original 20M. Titans are reportedly talking to his agent and staying close to the situation.

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Just saw on NFL live today that Clowney has dropped his asking price to 17-18M from his original 20M. Titans are reportedly talking to his agent and staying close to the situation.

Which is why Yannick Ngakoue is so way off base with his demands. At least Clowney can play on running downs, unlike Yannick. If I was him I'd sign that tender for 19 million, it's guaranteed money and I highly doubt he'd get a better deal..

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

clowney is overrated. Simply because of where he was drafted.  Watkins I'd like, but itd have to be heavily with health incentives

Get him in the right scenario and his ceiling is multiple defensive MVPs and probowls.  I'm just gonna hope we sign him and get the best version of him.  Feeling optimistic today lol

It says they have about 3M now so they must have made some moves.  

If you look at their salary cap table they are pretty heavily leveraged in terms of guaranteed funds.

There is only 3 players they could cut that would free up more than 5M in cap space.

Chris Jones (who is on a 5th year option)

Eric Fisher 

Travis Kelce

Things improve a bit next year but they lose a lot of players.  I don't know all their players to determine how key they are though.  

The other thing to consider is that Mahomes has this year and presumably a 5th year option for next year that they will invoke.  So by the looks of it they arn't going to be able to keep their team together for very long.  Mahomes is probably going to get close to 40M per year.  

If they are going to be a dynasty they are gonna have to draft well.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

It says they have about 3M now so they must have made some moves.  

If you look at their salary cap table they are pretty heavily leveraged in terms of guaranteed funds.

There is only 3 players they could cut that would free up more than 5M in cap space.

Chris Jones (who is on a 5th year option)

Eric Fisher 

Travis Kelce

Things improve a bit next year but they lose a lot of players.  I don't know all their players to determine how key they are though.  

The other thing to consider is that Mahomes has this year and presumably a 5th year option for next year that they will invoke.  So by the looks of it they arn't going to be able to keep their team together for very long.  Mahomes is probably going to get close to 40M per year.  

If they are going to be a dynasty they are gonna have to draft well.  

That cap space was created by the recent restructuring of Watkins' contract. 

Archived