Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sleet, Snow, Wind, Rain, Or Shine Peyton Can Win In Any Weather Period

southwest1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it impossible for a QB to not have a great game yet win? If so, then I propose that's what Manning did in the SuperBowl. I will not take away the win, but to think that everything Peyton does is God-like is ridiculous.

I know southwest, and I can tell you he does not think Peyton is incapable of having a bad day, what he is trying to get across is the fact that Peyton will work hard to make sure that weather is not an issue. Again, I elude to what he did prior to our SB win--soaked footballs in ice cold water to prepare himself and Jeff in case it did rain. (and a side note, no QB is going to have a perfect game while it's down pouring. Likewise, no QB will have a perfect game when it is zero degrees outside. No one's body would let them...sorry, I'm using logic and common sense here.)

It would be good if you actually understood "Spygate" before you reach for it as an excuse as to why the Patriots shut down Manning and his offense in the 2004 and 2005 playoffs.

They were filming other teams' defensive signals. That's fact, not opinion.

Offensive plays have been radioed in to the QBs' helmets for almost 20 years now.

So it's pretty inaccurate to say "Spygate" was the reason the Colts only put up 3 points in one playoff game and 14 in another. If you're going to hate on the Patriots, at least get it right. ;)

so you honestly dont think that they were stealing other teams audibles? because those are NOT called in to the headset...as a matter of fact, the headsets turn off when the play clock reaches a certain point

I know southwest, and I can tell you he does not think Peyton is incapable of having a bad day, what he is trying to get across is the fact that Peyton will work hard to make sure that weather is not an issue. Again, I elude to what he did prior to our SB win--soaked footballs in ice cold water to prepare himself and Jeff in case it did rain. (and a side note, no QB is going to have a perfect game while it's down pouring. Likewise, no QB will have a perfect game when it is zero degrees outside. No one's body would let them...sorry, I'm using logic and common sense here.)

I agree with all that you've said. I understand that Peyton will do whatever is necessary to win, regardless of weather. My earlier point was that until now, he hasn't shown that he can win in any weather, based on his previous poor performances in bad weather. Until he proves that he can, that stigma will remain. Of course I want him to prove that he can play well in bad weather. He will now have a chance to prove that he can. I just wouldn't make a bold statement that regardless of weather conditions, he will win, as that hasn't necessarily been the case with Manning thus far.

Mark, I agree with all that you've said. I understand tht Peyton will do whatever is necessary to win, regardless of weather. My earlier point was that until now, he hasn't shown that he can win in any weather, based on his previous poor performances in bad weather. Until he proves that he can, that stigma will remain. Of course I want him to prove that he can play well in bad weather. He will not have a chance to prove that he can. I just wouldn't make a bold statement that regardless of weather conditions, he will win, as that hasn't necessarily been the case with Manning.

Yes, he has. You're taking two or three bad performances (against really good teams, by the way) from eight or nine years ago and claiming that they prove he can't play in any weather. What about the good games in bad weather throughout the years?

And what about the fact that the Broncos only play one or two games a year in so-called inclement weather?

Mark, I agree with all that you've said. I understand tht Peyton will do whatever is necessary to win, regardless of weather. My earlier point was that until now, he hasn't shown that he can win in any weather, based on his previous poor performances in bad weather. Until he proves that he can, that stigma will remain. Of course I want him to prove that he can play well in bad weather. He will not have a chance to prove that he can. I just wouldn't make a bold statement that regardless of weather conditions, he will win, as that hasn't necessarily been the case with Manning.

Whose Mark? :D

The frustration that comes here is that people seem to be saying he "can't" win b/c of the weather. So, it raises hackles a bit. He is going to have to work harder to perfect playing w/ the elements, but as you have stated above and as I have stated, this is a problem that he will tackle. He is too much of a perfectionist not to. If you actually ask me, I believe that is part of the reason he chose an outdoor stadium=new challenge; something to improve upon, get better at. Peyton likes challenges.

One other thought, when did Denver start having weather like they have in New England or Pittsburgh...did I miss the weather shift or something?

so you honestly dont think that they were stealing other teams audibles? because those are NOT called in to the headset...as a matter of fact, the headsets turn off when the play clock reaches a certain point

Trying to "steal" audibles happens in every NFL game. Defenses are always trying to figure out "tells" when offenses are at the line. The "no-no" aspect of Spygate was that they were filming signals, not that they were looking at other teams' sidelines. You're well within the rules to try to figure out calls... it was the videotaping aspect of it that got them in trouble.

Are you asking me if they were filming audibles somehow? If so, no... there's no need. You can hear QBs calling out signals while watching the game in your living room. I must have heard Brady yell "Alpa, go!" about 1,000 times last season!

I would never try to diminish the impact of Spygate... if there was no benefit to what they were doing, the Patriots wouldn't have bothered. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know the full extent of that. All I really meant to do was point out that it was all about defensive signals, not offensive.

Whose Mark? :D

The frustration that comes here is that people seem to be saying he "can't" win b/c of the weather. So, it raises hackles a bit. He is going to have to work harder to perfect playing w/ the elements, but as you have stated above and as I have stated, this is a problem that he will tackle. He is too much of a perfectionist not to. If you actually ask me, I believe that is part of the reason he chose an outdoor stadium=new challenge; something to improve upon, get better at. Peyton likes challenges.

One other thought, when did Denver start having weather like they have in New England or Pittsburgh...did I miss the weather shift or something?

I was responding to a post made earlier by OldUncleMark on another thread I apologize. I did edit it out though. The weather in Denver isn't really that bad. I heard that the averge playing weather is 50 degrees, perfect for football. I also stated earlier that his style of play, with a no huddle offense will be to the Broncos benefit, as other teams will not be used to the altitude and thin air. The opposing defenses will be gassed by the fourth quarter. This should lead to many exciting fourth quarters for the Broncos.

Did I accidentally log in to a Broncos forum? Peyton must have went to a tent revival and been miraculously healed because nothing has been proven yet until he plays in a game at full speed and at full contact. I truly hope he can, but I am not going to jump the gun.

I was responding to a post made earlier by OldUncleMark on another thread I apologize. I did edit it out though. The weather in Denver isn't really that bad. I heard that the averge playing weather is 50 degrees, perfect for football. I also stated earlier that his style of play, with a no huddle offense will be to the Broncos benefit, as other teams will not be used to the altitude and thin air. The opposing defenses will be gassed by the fourth quarter. This should lead to many exciting fourth quarters for the Broncos.

Sorry, I had to tease a bit about the Mark line (I figured it out by the time I was done typing my response).

You are right, that Peyton will definitely have opposing defenses on "E" by the fourth quarter.

Denver, again IMO, is a good fit for Peyton. For many reasons. I also think it provides a new challenge for him (as I stated earlier). A couple things that I believe to be true: 1) Peyton loves this game--there aren't many, if any, that love it more than him, and 2) he will do his absolute darndest to leave no doubt that he is the best QB to play the game of football (now I know he says he doesn't really care about all that...but, yes he does. He's too much of a competitor to not care).

Peyton Manning's outdoor playing criticisms are entirely without merit. The implication is Peyton is soft & weak like a delicate tropical flower that will wilt in the frigid blizzard conditions of Denver, Colorado.

Funny how nobody ever mentions the advantage of higher elevation & thinner air there either.

Safety Ryan Clark from the Steelers can't play there due to a life threatning medical condition even. Not having your best safety on the field on game day really does matter, especially in the 4th quarter when top notch defenses get tired, exhausted & worn down.

Peyton Manning's outdoor playing criticisms are entirely without merit. The implication is Peyton is soft & weak like a delicate tropical flower that will wilt in the frigid blizzard conditions of Denver, Colorado.

Funny how nobody ever mentions the advantage of higher elevation & thinner air there either.

Safety Ryan Clark from the Steelers can't play there due to a life threatning medical condition even. Not having your best safety on the field on game day really does matter, especially in the 4th quarter when top notch defenses get tired, exhausted & worn down.

I'm sorry, but I gotta call you out on this one. Look at the post right above yours.

I'm sorry, but I gotta call you out on this one. Look at the post right above yours.

Fair enough Flash 777. In my defense, I was reading my e-mail & writing my response as you posted yours. You do deserve credit for your superb point though. Well done!!!

See 2006 Superbowl in the downpouring rain vs. the Chicago Bears in Miami....Thank you. Case closed.

Lets not sit back and say that Manning lit up the Bears in that game. He played just ok, the running backs were the dominant offensive weapons in that game. Rhodes and Addai had more total yards than Manning did.

I am by no means trying to undermine what Manning has meant to this team, he was the most important athlete ever to play in this state imo. But facts are facts, he was not as prolific in high profile (see playoff) games outdoors as he was at home in the dome. The numbers bare that out.

His career numbers in the playoffs

Home 10 games 6-4 record -- 321.8 yds/game -- 21 TD / 8 INT

Away 7 games 2-5 record -- 227.1 yds/game -- 6 TD / 9 INT

Super Bowl 2 games 1-1 record -- 290 yds/game -- 2 TD / 2 INT

Case closed?

When it wains it purrs! (Waining cats and dogs??? Get it?)

I think we are getting nutty over weather. Send me an email on any given day and it will be different than the weatherman!!! I studied meteorology when there was not a radar to look at. I look at the clouds. I can tell you within 5 minutes if it is going to 'wain.' An old Keith Whitley song "I'm No stranger to the Rain...." says it all to me.

There are Hall of Fame QBs, and there is now Bronco Peyton Manning. Brady {sic} has hurt his reputation in Artic cold. Playing in Green Bay and Minnesota (when no dome) as well as NE is always a disadvantage.

Call me Stupid....a major snow at 32 degress is FUN to play in...did it. 20 below wind chill off of Erie for the Browns? NE? I am amazed the sissy Tom Brady is so good in the snow....John Deere tractors help the kicking game....is that legal? HA HA! Ask Adam V!!!

Does that mean he isn't?

Oh well....

Another funny line there Subvet. If it makes you feel any better, I choose to believe that line myself too. HA! HA! Unlike John Dee on this topic here in Colts Forum, you could go on a comedy tour & earn a great deal of money Subvet. Bravo, my friend!!! If that bakery thing fails to pan out, at least you have a profitable fallback position.

Lets not sit back and say that Manning lit up the Bears in that game. He played just ok, the running backs were the dominant offensive weapons in that game. Rhodes and Addai had more total yards than Manning did.

I am by no means trying to undermine what Manning has meant to this team, he was the most important athlete ever to play in this state imo. But facts are facts, he was not as prolific in high profile (see playoff) games outdoors as he was at home in the dome. The numbers bare that out.

His career numbers in the playoffs

Home 10 games 6-4 record -- 321.8 yds/game -- 21 TD / 8 INT

Away 7 games 2-5 record -- 227.1 yds/game -- 6 TD / 9 INT

Super Bowl 2 games 1-1 record -- 290 yds/game -- 2 TD / 2 INT

Case closed?

Did I ever say Manning played his best game in Miami that evening? Tell me who won the game exactly? The last time I checked football is a team sport with a 53 man roster there genius. This isn't golf or tennis Mr. Einstein.

If the Colts would have recovered than onside kick in the 2009 Superbowl Vs. the Saints in the 2nd half, that whole game might have had a drastically different outcome. You know & I know it there chief.

Before you bring the Tom "Terrific" clutch gene in the snow, that "Tuck Rule" is a pile of crap; he fumbled okay. Without that call, there is no Patriots 3 ring dynasty okay. Thank you for playing. Come back again!!!

All I care about is #18 going forward, everything else including Peyton's Playoff mishaps are ancient history to me.

I don't think Manning himself is crippled in bad weather more than other QBs except Brady and thats because of how Belichick coaches in bad weather.

The 03/04 games were hindered by bad weather because of the type of passing offense, mainly timing routes.

In a snow storm Belichick coaches angled side passing routes.

I don't think Manning himself is crippled in bad weather more than other QBs except Brady and thats because of how Belichick coaches in bad weather.

The 03/04 games were hindered by bad weather because of the type of passing offense, mainly timing routes.

In a snow storm Belichick coaches angled side passing routes.

His Gray hoodie repels snow...mine does not! HA HA!

Peyton's prep is meticulus and that includes practicing and simulating weather scenarios. He prepares like no one else in the position and has a mind like a steel trap. When fingers and muscles are affected, his opponents fingers and muscles will also be, but Peyton's mind will not be affected. I am sure he is already considering ways to prep for fall and winter weather at mile high.

I am upset we had next to nothing in snow in Indiana! I wanted beard freeze walking my dog in shorts! My friends that know me.....weather is not an out....We can jam on Peyton for some bad NE days. I wish my inner Polar Bear could have helped.

I love the cold and played my best in cold weather. I loved the steam off of the helmet. If Peyton plays poorly in bad weather...who cares...others do it every day.

I loves rain, sleet and snow.......loved burying a face mask in the mud. In my mind...bring back the old rules.... Deacon Jones! Jack Lambert. etc...

Now hold on .. P Manning did not walk on water. He is "human"... He is also the best QB I have ever seen.

That said... dude had faults. IFI Indy were NOT bringing in a Stanford grad who has Cam Newton physical traits I would be ..... a tad shaky on this whole deal.

But lets all face facts... The Colts were a "losing" team in the playoffs w P Manning.

Lets see what the new kid can do?

I never once said Peyton walked on water or that he man was perfect because he wasn't.

With that said I do think it's sad to see so many Colts fans attacking Peyton now for his playoff record and the old tired myth that he can't play well in bad weather when they spent 14 years defending those things about him and now they are attacking him for it. If Peyton were still playing for the Colts I have a feeling you'd see many of those same fans still defending Manning's preformance in those areas and now that he is no longer a Colt people are turning on him and using those things to do it that's sad for me to see that. That tells me people are now out to either tear down Peyton Manning or they didn't mean it for 14 years when they defended Manning in those areas. You can't spend 14 years defending a guy for something see him leave and turn around and use that attack him that's pretty weak.

I think everyone is affected by weather. It does not matter who they are. Deep down everyone (including those critics) know that Peyton will be just fine. He prepares and studies like no other, He is the hardest working person to play the game. There are too many people that confirm that. He is always doing whatever it takes to be his best no matter what. He wants to win a championship. Do people really think that he would have something like weather compromise that? Yeah I don't think so either. I really find it insane that Colt fans are arguing this. His worst games may have been in bad weather and I think someone earlier stated that was against some very good teams. So what, who has there best game in terrible weather? The point is he is going to be fine no matter the weather. If he could not play well in Denver he would not have chosen Denver to play for. He is the smartest qb in the league,...he knows what he is doing. Why would anyone question his decision? I think Peyton knows what is best for him.

Weather wasnt an issue in the past I dont believe hes played in Foxboro, Buffalo New York and while struggled with the Pats for years that was do to the fact the Pats had all kinds of defensive talent Ty Law pre injury was at the time one of the top corners in the league, Ted Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGines list goes on, thats why he struggled, sure probably the first time he played their it was a shock to the system under those conditions football players adjust to that if manning doesnt do well its not cause of weather it will be more likely do to them not getting wide receivers around him, we will see, Peyton has made players around him look better then they really are for years though. do I predict a superbowl for him this year, no but if they begin to jell look out

Whether the weather be fine, whether the weather be not, whether the weather be cold, whether the weather be hot---He'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether he likes it or not...

Whether the weather be fine, whether the weather be not, whether the weather be cold, whether the weather be hot---He'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether he likes it or not...

Bravo!

Trying to "steal" audibles happens in every NFL game. Defenses are always trying to figure out "tells" when offenses are at the line. The "no-no" aspect of Spygate was that they were filming signals, not that they were looking at other teams' sidelines. You're well within the rules to try to figure out calls... it was the videotaping aspect of it that got them in trouble.

Are you asking me if they were filming audibles somehow? If so, no... there's no need. You can hear QBs calling out signals while watching the game in your living room. I must have heard Brady yell "Alpa, go!" about 1,000 times last season!

I would never try to diminish the impact of Spygate... if there was no benefit to what they were doing, the Patriots wouldn't have bothered. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know the full extent of that. All I really meant to do was point out that it was all about defensive signals, not offensive.

Its Alpa? You ruined my illusion. I thought it was Alpha which I love..so military..like Alpha squad:)

I never once said Peyton walked on water or that he man was perfect because he wasn't.

With that said I do think it's sad to see so many Colts fans attacking Peyton now for his playoff record and the old tired myth that he can't play well in bad weather when they spent 14 years defending those things about him and now they are attacking him for it. If Peyton were still playing for the Colts I have a feeling you'd see many of those same fans still defending Manning's preformance in those areas and now that he is no longer a Colt people are turning on him and using those things to do it that's sad for me to see that. That tells me people are now out to either tear down Peyton Manning or they didn't mean it for 14 years when they defended Manning in those areas. You can't spend 14 years defending a guy for something see him leave and turn around and use that attack him that's pretty weak.

To be fair, I started to slightly criticize him on the other forum after the 2010 season and even during at times for a stretch.

I was ahead of the curve. ;)

I think as time went on the more I realized he really isn't God in a football uniform. He makes mistakes and he will continue to do so. Too many act like he is perfect.

It is what it is. With age comes wisdom as a fan.

I'd like to see Manning succeed....he's an incredible player to watch and we are lucky we get to watch him still....and if he does succeed many fans here will say...IRSAY WAS WRONG!

However, it won't be ALL bad if he doesn't do well and he is riddled to succeed because so many fans here will say...IRSAY WAS RIGHT!

Right...Wrong? You decide...sure I bet we will NEVER get over the arguing....even when the Colts hoist there next Lombardi (whenver it may be) we will still curse the Manning saga and argue it...right?

C'mon man...Colts fans unite...so much to be excited about here!

The opponents have more to do with a QB's success than the weather/elements.

Yeah he played hurt the past 4 years... Had a level of decline. Don't be shocked if he's performing better over the next three years as opposed to his last three years..

I agree. I posted the articles that I did because I was growing tired of the false misconception that Peyton Manning must have a dome setting in order to win another Superbowl trophy & ring. Yes, domes do protect a QB from the elements, but it is a luxury not a necessity in order for Peyton to win. All teams must contend with weather & on any given Sunday depending on the zebra penalty calls, the 3rd down covertions, the level of the competition, & turnovers any team can win or lose based on 4-6 key plays.

To be fair, I started to slightly criticize him on the other forum after the 2010 season and even during at times for a stretch.

I was ahead of the curve. ;)

I think as time went on the more I realized he really isn't God in a football uniform. He makes mistakes and he will continue to do so. Too many act like he is perfect.

It is what it is. With age comes wisdom as a fan.

I wasn't really going after Jules I was more going at the person who said look at the Pats games in 03 and 04. No he didn't play well those days. However there have been bad weather games and big games since then he's done just fine in and Colts fans have used those other examples to defend him countless times.

Again I am not trying to say he's a God in a football uniform he's human just like the rest of the players in the NFL. All I am saying is that it's sad to see fans use things that have defended Peyton Manning for 14 years about to try to tear him down. That's weak IMO. If people didn't rip him for those things during his time here it's weak to start doing it after he leaves the team and no I don't think that's wisdom of a fan I think that's people taking shots a guy who is no longer on the roster. I really doubt people if he was still a Colt you would be seeing people pretty much saying you know I know I've defending Manning for 14 years on his performance in the weather and in the playoffs but after thinking about people are right he really isn't that good in those situations.

Clearly Peyton has faults I am in no way trying to say he doesn't. All I am saying is that people going after Peyton for things they defended him to the death (and there are the Manning vs Brady threads to prove it) on when he was a Colt and now that he isn't they are flip floping their view points is pretty weak and sad to see. If people want to tear down Peyton Manning and only look at his flaws that's their right and they can do so but I just think it's sad to see.

I wasn't really going after Jules I was more going at the person who said look at the Pats games in 03 and 04. No he didn't play well those days. However there have been bad weather games and big games since then he's done just fine in and Colts fans have used those other examples to defend him countless times.

Again I am not trying to say he's a God in a football uniform he's human just like the rest of the players in the NFL. All I am saying is that it's sad to see fans use things that have defended Peyton Manning for 14 years about to try to tear him down. That's weak IMO. If people didn't rip him for those things during his time here it's weak to start doing it after he leaves the team and no I don't think that's wisdom of a fan I think that's people taking shots a guy who is no longer on the roster. I really doubt people if he was still a Colt you would be seeing people pretty much saying you know I know I've defending Manning for 14 years on his performance in the weather and in the playoffs but after thinking about people are right he really isn't that good in those situations.

Clearly Peyton has faults I am in no way trying to say he doesn't. All I am saying is that people going after Peyton for things they defended him to the death (and there are the Manning vs Brady threads to prove it) on when he was a Colt and now that he isn't they are flip floping their view points is pretty weak and sad to see. If people want to tear down Peyton Manning and only look at his flaws that's their right and they can do so but I just think it's sad to see.

Oh I know.

I love ya. You know that. :)

Honestly, the Pats were just better teams then us. Bigger, better, stronger. At home. Everything in those years.