Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have stayed in contact with Jordan Love

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We need receivers ,tight end and a defensive end.

I do not think we need a DE. Getting Buckner will free everyone up. We get a WR with one of those seconds and use the other second to package and move up. That then gives us the rest of the draft for oline depth. I do not like the TE depth.  

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am a little confused. So many bloggers were wanting the Colts to move up into the top 10 to get Love.  Now, they feel fortunate if he is still available at 34 so that the Colts can draft him. So is he a top 10 pick or an early 2nd round pick?? 

It's always been a mixed bag, to be honest. Some people were mocking him to the Patriots at the end of the first, some had him in the second round.

I think he goes to the Chargers in the first, bu we'll see.

I am a little confused. So many bloggers were wanting the Colts to move up into the top 10 to get Love.  Now, they feel fortunate if he is still available at 34 so that the Colts can draft him. So is he a top 10 pick or an early 2nd round pick?? 

A little thing called Free Agency and then probably the biggest QB carousel that i have ever seen happened and its still not out of the question he goes early. You had the Panthers who were a possibility in the QB market sign teddy to a long term deal. The bucs signed Brady to a long term deal, my guess is either the chargers or Miami will sign Cam. We also took our self out of the first round market by trading our pick and signing rivers. The titans held on to Tannehill  and the raiders brought in Mariota. That little thing called supply and demand still holds true in the the draft itself. That is 6 teams who were initially in the running to draft a QB early have now backed away from that.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think that if the Colts r still interested, based on anonymous sources, that would place his value in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

That would place his value wherever the Colts place it.    Supposing the Colts trade you into the first round to take him?    Suppose Ballard ranks him around 25 but gambles that he will fall to him?

What if the Colts have him 25 but some team grabs him 10th?   Stitches is correct.  There is probably a wider difference of opinion on Love than most any other quarterback.  And for good reason.    

This is not a one size fits all situation. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It's always been a mixed bag, to be honest. Some people were mocking him to the Patriots at the end of the first, some had him in the second round.

I think he goes to the Chargers in the first, bu we'll see.

I have chargers going LT. I think this qb draft is really weak. Burrows is most likely going #1.  Tua's medical history would scare the hell out of me.  Herbert could pull another Luck as he is super smart and has interests outside of football. Plus, he comes from the Oregon offence.  Just not a qb I am in love with.

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

It very well might mean exactly what you say...that the Colts evaluated Love as less than worthy of pick 13...and I too believe that is the likely meaning of trading the pick for Buckner.

However, it could just as easily mean that they think he's going top 12 and they weren't willing to trade up...or didn't think it was high enough in probability to forego using the pick on Buckner. 

Likewise, it could be that they observed the patterns of free agency and judged Love to be available later in the first in another trade up.

If they think he is going top 12 why would they still stay in contact with him?  I just don't see a trade up into the 1st.   It would cost to much and take away from an all in scenario for this and maybe next year.

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If they think he is going top 12 why would they still stay in contact with him?  I just don't see a trade up into the 1st.   It would cost to much and take away from an all in scenario for this and maybe next year.

Why are they still in contact with him at all?

Are we still evaluating him at this point?

Its not like he's a vet FA that were trying to schmooze to join our team.  Either he drops or he doesn't, and its out of both CBs and Love's control, so how does talking to him now get us closer to drafting him unless we feel like we still need to evaluate his attitude or something.

Maybe CB is asking him how interested other teams seem to be?  And would Love tell the truth?

Logic will get you nowhere on here.

We should pull a Ditka and trade all of our picks for a 3rd string QB that is most likely not as good as the one we have!!!

HAHAHA

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Or they might be interested in trading up for him in case he falls. This all might be a moot point if Ballard doesn't like him or if he gets drafted much higher than our 34 pick. 

My thoughts exactly. I see this as possibly meaning that Ballard likes him but only so much. There may be a place in the late 1st round that could encourage Ballard to move up, or we may be just sitting still and seeing if he falls to the 2nd entirely. 

EDIT: Imagine if he fell though... Love, Claypool, and Harrison Bryant at 2a, 2b, and 3 would definitely be intriguing. Then use 4, 5, 6a, 6b to add depth at OL and other areas. 

I would make this trade in a heartbeat.

BTW @Moosejawcolt

Love probably won't drop but is seen as a possibility for multiple reasons.

Dolphins constantly linked to Tua but could throw curve ball and draft Love or Herbert.

Chargers are possible but desperately need OL help.

Panthers are out after getting Bridgewater 

Jags might be option at 9 or 20 pending their faith in Minshew.

Even Bucs could get Love to sit behind Brady but unlikely being it's 2 years.

Next option is Patriots and Saints.

If all slip it's entirely possible Love falls far enough to trade up for without losing severe draft capital. 

NywBo6L.jpg

38 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

BTW @Moosejawcolt

Dolphins constantly linked to Tua but could throw curve ball and draft Love or Herbert.

If all slip it's entirely possible Love falls far enough to trade up for without losing severe draft capital. 

NywBo6L.jpg

Hmmmm.....so u want me to fall in love, no pun intended, with a qb that is passed on by 30 other teams?  

48 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

BTW @Moosejawcolt

NywBo6L.jpg

Mayb....just mayb say Love is sitting there at 34 and the Colts pick him.  Have u ever considered that if this scenario occurs, this could be viewed as a reach by other NFL execs???  

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Mayb....just mayb say Love is sitting there at 34 and the Colts pick him.  Have u ever considered that if this scenario occurs, this could be viewed as a reach by other NFL execs???  

I doubt  we get love, but hurts, eason and gordon will be there at 34 and some at 44. Or we may draft morgan in 4th

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I mean at the end of the day you have to trust your own evaluation. Who cares if he's considered a reach? Mahomes was considered a reach too... Leonard was widely considered a reach. Who cares? Do your own evaluation and if you like the guy get him. And if you don't like him don't take him only because others are supposedly high on him. When it's all said and done Ballard and the front office will be graded on their own evaluations, not on what other 10, 20 or 30 front offices and GMs thought about their moves. 

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why are they still in contact with him at all?

Are we still evaluating him at this point?

Its not like he's a vet FA that were trying to schmooze to join our team.  Either he drops or he doesn't, and its out of both CBs and Love's control, so how does talking to him now get us closer to drafting him unless we feel like we still need to evaluate his attitude or something.

Maybe CB is asking him how interested other teams seem to be?  And would Love tell the truth?

Why wouldn't they be evaluating him still? We are a team with a need at the long-term QB spot. He's one of the highest ceiling QBs in this draft. Why wouldn't they continue to follow up with him? There were probably official visit or meetings that Ballard had planned that now cannot take place, so they are doing it in whatever other ways are available to them.

Taking him in the second round is NOT our only option. If the evaluation is not complete, maybe we are still considering him at 34... or considering whether he's worth trading up? Or whether he's worthy of being on our board at all? There are all kinds of things they might want to learn about him... it's not like he's a completely clean prospect, both on the field and off-the-field. 

I guess we will see in several weeks time. 

17 hours ago, stitches said:

He's a polarizing prospect with high ceiling and low floor. Different people and different teams will have different tolerance to the risk associated with drafting a raw player like him. This is why he might go as early as top 10 and as late as day 2. 

This it's really hard to tell where he will go.  It only takes one team who falls in love with him and doesn't want to miss out to take him pretty early in the first. 

If most NFL execs ( and not just 1 like I read) truly believe he is Patrick 2.0, you will have 20+!teams waiting to draft him with their 1st pick, regardless of their situation. The Chiefs had Alex Smith who was a #1 pick. when they drafted PM. 

15 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

If most NFL execs ( and not just 1 like I read) truly believe he is Patrick 2.0, you will have 20+!teams waiting to draft him with their 1st pick, regardless of their situation. The Chiefs had Alex Smith who was a #1 pick. when they drafted PM. 

I think the post in this thread that said he will be graded all over the place is a correct one. He is one of those prospects that could go anywhere from top ten to low first round. The question is there that one team that thinks he is a top ten pick. It only takes one. I imagine he is the kind of pick where a couple teams will have him graded high and some will have him graded lower.

The more I think about it, the more I HOPE that we pull the trigger and move into the bottom of the first for him. Obviously he's polarizing, high ceiling-low floor guy, but can you think of a better QB room to learn in? (let's pretend the Saints and Bucs don't exist.) Frank Reich, Phillip Rivers, and maybe Brissett!? For a guy with the physical tools that sometimes shows the mental lapses, this is a perfect situation. I honestly think any guy that comes into this situation will grow into his best self.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Why wouldn't they be evaluating him still? We are a team with a need at the long-term QB spot. He's one of the highest ceiling QBs in this draft. Why wouldn't they continue to follow up with him? There were probably official visit or meetings that Ballard had planned that now cannot take place, so they are doing it in whatever other ways are available to them.

Taking him in the second round is NOT our only option. If the evaluation is not complete, maybe we are still considering him at 34... or considering whether he's worth trading up? Or whether he's worthy of being on our board at all? There are all kinds of things they might want to learn about him... it's not like he's a completely clean prospect, both on the field and off-the-field. 

I guess we will see in several weeks time. 

Just seems the more they talk to him the more they aren't sure they like him. 

We've drafted players that reportedly we never spoke with ever.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I heard Peter King talking about since there  is no top thirty visits and you really can’t get to know these kids some of the plsyers with question marks could drop. He said he thinks teams will play it safer then normal. I could see that being the reason Love drops. Especially because he is a QB. 

Ok, that makes sense.  We can't bring kids in for interviews so continual contact takes the place of that.  

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just seems the more they talk to him the more they aren't sure they like him. 

We've drafted players that reportedly we never spoke with ever.  

That's somewhat true - we've drafted some players like that, although, it's also somewhat overstated. Also worth pointing out - none of them were QBs who can be the face of your franchise going forward. 

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Love has been given Mahomes comps based on skill set and style, but nobody is saying Love is Mahomes 2.0. Keep in mind KC drafting him as high as they did was viewed as a reach and controversial at the time. Love has one of the (if not the) highest ceilings for QB's in this draft, but he also has a very low floor. He could be Mahomes 2.0 or he could be Bortles 2.0.

52 minutes ago, Shive said:

Love has been given Mahomes comps based on skill set and style, but nobody is saying Love is Mahomes 2.0. Keep in mind KC drafting him as high as they did was viewed as a reach and controversial at the time. Love has one of the (if not the) highest ceilings for QB's in this draft, but he also has a very low floor. He could be Mahomes 2.0 or he could be Bortles 2.0.

My low end comp for him is DeShone Kizer :puke:

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something else I was thinking about is there have been analyst that say SF will trade one of those picks because they need more picks. What if the deal is already being talked about if a QB falls then SF gives us back our 13th pick. That would be pretty crazy.

And how much do u think that 13th pick woukd cost us??

5 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I think we dodged a bullet with Love once by getting the defensive tackle we needed and here we are again. I want a receiver at 34 and then Gordon or one of the other quarterbacks who won't cost us several picks.

Why can’t we still get a WR at 34 and use 44 to package to move up. We have the ammo this year to move back into the first and get a WR with one of the seconds. Then we have the rest of the draft for oline depth or depth at other positions.

Archived