Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ND Pass Catchers

I'm a biased ND fan, so I love it when former Irish end up with the Colts.

So, similar to two years ago when OL was our biggest need and Nelson from ND was there for us, our biggest need this year is probably pass catchers, and a few good ones from ND should be available for us.

Cole Kmet - TE

Chase Claypool - WR/TE

Chris Finke - WR

Assuming Kmet and Claypool aren't snatched up early, all three of these guys could potentially be Colts.  Kmet as a true TE, Claypool as a hybrid matchup nightmare, and Finke as a slot-machine/returner.

Kmet:  6'6" - 262 lbs

Long bodied, early entry Y tight end prospect who is a better pass threat than run blocker at this stage. Kmet should continue to fill out his frame, but his run blocking is too scattered and needs better focus and efficiency as a pro. He can be jammed and slowed by early contact into his route, but once he's striding, he becomes a legitimate second-level threat with sneaky separation speed and intriguing ball skills. He's still developing and could be a slow starter headed into the league, but he has the talent to eventually become a solid starter as a pass-catching in-line tight end with the ability to mismatch from the slot with his size.

Claypool:  6'4" - 238 lbs

The comparison to former teammate Miles Boykin is an easy one since both have elite size and explosiveness, but Claypool has a higher ceiling and is a little more pro-ready. Claypool doesn't have shake to get much separation underneath, but he's physical inside the route and is adept at making contested catches when needed. He has size/strength/speed to bedevil singled up cornerbacks on 50/50 deep balls. He's a vertical challenger outside, a possession receiver as a big slot, an outstanding run blocker and immediate coverage ace on special teams. His elite traits and diverse skill set could allow him to create a unique footprint as a pro.

Finke:  5'9" - 186 lbs

Smallish slot target who operates with consistent play speed and soft hands, but lacks the physical/play traits to stand out in the crowd. He gets moderate separation against average competition but athletic slot cornerbacks with the ability to hound his release will be tough for him to beat. His punt return ability helps his cause but it's an uphill battle for a slot spot on a roster.

I'd love to get either Kmet or Claypool.  Finke doesn't move the needle as much for me.  With pass-catchers being probably our biggest need, I could even see Kmet at 34 and Claypool at 44.  Pair those two big-body guys with burners like TY and Campbell, not to mention Doyle on underneath stuff and Hines coming out of the backfield, and Rivers could have a heckuva year.  :rock:

21 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm a biased ND fan, so I love it when former Irish end up with the Colts.

So, similar to two years ago when OL was our biggest need and Nelson from ND was there for us, our biggest need this year is probably pass catchers, and a few good ones from ND should be available for us.

Cole Kmet - TE

Chase Claypool - WR/TE

Chris Finke - WR

Assuming Kmet and Claypool aren't snatched up early, all three of these guys could potentially be Colts.  Kmet as a true TE, Claypool as a hybrid matchup nightmare, and Finke as a slot-machine/returner.

Kmet:  6'6" - 262 lbs

Claypool:  6'4" - 238 lbs

Finke:  5'9" - 186 lbs

I'd love to get either Kmet or Claypool.  Finke doesn't move the needle as much for me.  With pass-catchers being probably our biggest need, I could even see Kmet at 34 and Claypool at 44.  Pair those two big-body guys with burners like TY and Campbell, not to mention Doyle on underneath stuff and Hines coming out of the backfield, and Rivers could have a heckuva year.  :rock:

If we got BOTH I’d be happy

I do like Mims a little better....

But....we almost have to take a OL prospect very early

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

If we got BOTH I’d be happy

I do like Mims a little better....

But....we almost have to take a OL prospect very early

“We almost have to take an OL prospect very early.”

Really?    Why?

Whoever it is is not going to play much this year, and maybe even next.   I’d rather not use a day two pick on an OL. 

And if we must, then R3 for me...

Id go WR then TE with picks 34 and 44. And I’d also like to trade down pick 44, but not too far and add picks. 

Archived