Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the true GOAT  

54 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the GOAT



Recommended Posts

  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Otto Graham, for those who only count the number of championships.

It’s completely biased, but I think Peyton is at the top. Changed the game, from a passing and leadership standpoint. He was literally a field general in that he was an offensive coordinator.   

This guy....  

It’s completely biased, but I think Peyton is at the top. Changed the game, from a passing and leadership standpoint. He was literally a field general in that he was an offensive coordinator. 
 

His ability to read defenses was unparalleled. 
 

I really liked Marino too though. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

1396112914000-AP-Mountain-Goats.jpg


Holy cow that is a B A looking goat!!! Looks like a polar bear with horns!!! Way tougher then mine, lol!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Colts, my son’s middle name is Peyton.. but the GOAT has to be Brady. 6 rings. Six. 

 

Forget stats, give me the rings. 
I’d rather my team win the SB over an incredible stat year but a loss early in the playoffs.

 

I’ll never love another QB like I loved PM.. just being honest. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sammy Baugh.

In 1943 he lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions.

He was the first charter member of the HOF. 

Just because he is not in the modern age does not mean he is not the GOAT. 

He played in an era when the game was not designed for passing. The football was not streamlined like it is today. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOZER said:


Holy cow that is a B A looking goat!!! Looks like a polar bear with horns!!! Way tougher then mine, lol!

I dunno, in these times of social distancing, yours is PRETTY scary.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Otto Graham, for those who only count the number of championships.

lol I know right?! like a team accomplishment can somehow determine how great you are personally! haha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol...you put Warren Moon on those same Patriot teams...same lines and defense for his entire career, and he is on that list...not Brady. 

 

Honestly, it's hard to rank because era's and supporting casts play such a huge role in a QB's perceived success. I think a good thread would be "3 fave QB's of all time". Then there is no basis from which to argue.

 

My 3 would be - 

 

Peyton Manning

Bert Jones

Warren Moon

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a hair-splitter.....they're all great.

 

But I went with Joe Montana..... 4-0 in the Big Show complete with a 127.8 QB rating.... 11TDs & ZERO picks.

 

He led his team there and they won it every time.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

It's a hair-splitter.....they're all great.

 

But I went with Joe Montana..... 4-0 in the Big Show complete with a 127.8 QB rating.... 11TDs & ZERO picks.

 

He led his team there and they won it every time.

I want to agree, but the part Bengals fan in me hisses at the thought of Montana lol...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventhough I created this thread I still haven't voted. I will vote later on. I was just curious to get everyone's opinion on this. I only listed 4 names because those are the names that come up the most in the media to being the goat. I did add the OTHER option though to be fair to a lot of other QB's.

 

I factor in everything like stats of course, League MVP's won, SB MVP's won, longevity, the clutch factor, and SB wins - although that is more of a team accomplishment has to be factored in. The QB is the most important position on the field and usually has a lot to do with whether or not you win a SB. It is just normal but Peyton is simply looked at different by winning that 2nd SB. His defense was the main reason why he got #2 but he is still a lot more respected when he got #2. You rarely here Dan Marino in the goat convo and it is because he never won a SB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I want to agree, but the part Bengals fan in me hisses at the thought of Montana lol...

Boomer and the Bengals gave them by far the toughest SB fight they had during Montana’s run. :thmup:
 


 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

Boomer and the Bengals gave them by far the toughest SB fight they had during Montana’s run. :thmup:
 


 

 

 

 

Yeah that was a great defensive duel. 49ers only won that game by 4 points if I remember right with Montana leading the game winning drive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that was a great defensive duel. 49ers only won that game by 4 points if I remember right with Montana leading the game winning drive.

Yep. They (Cincy) were mere minutes away from winning it all. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

It's a hair-splitter.....they're all great.

 

But I went with Joe Montana..... 4-0 in the Big Show complete with a 127.8 QB rating.... 11TDs & ZERO picks.

 

He led his team there and they won it every time.

Wasn't Terry Bradshaw 4-0 in super bowl wins? 

He gets overlooked a lot. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Most everyone picks a QB as the GOAT but does the GOAT have to be a QB? 

You can go with Walter Peyton or Barry Sanders and it wouldn't be out of the question IMO.

True. Jim Brown, Jerry Rice or perhaps Lawrence Taylor could even be in this discussion. That is why I added the OTHER option. I see many have voted OTHER but Peyton is in the lead. The Poll was actually intended just for QB's but I do not have it in the title. The OTHER option I guess saves me anyway lmao .

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wasn't Terry Bradshaw 4-0 in super bowl wins? 

He gets overlooked a lot. 

He did but his stats were average that is the problem. Someone like Montana had very good stats, Brady great stats to go with their wins. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He did but his stats were average that is the problem. Someone like Montana had very good stats, Brady great stats to go with their wins. 

True but it can be said that super bowls are more team orientated. 

The QBs get all the glory but it take the whole team for that QB to have the numbers and wins. 

As great as Brady or Manning were are the any better in their positions than Jerry Rice or Walter Payton was in theirs? 

The GOAT debate can go on forever and no one could be called wrong when it's based on opinions. 

Did Brady or Manning have any more talent than Dan Marino? Not in my opinion but they were on better teams. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

True but it can be said that super bowls are more team orientated. 

The QBs get all the glory but it take the whole team for that QB to have the numbers and wins. 

As great as Brady or Manning were are the any better in their positions than Jerry Rice or Walter Payton was in theirs? 

The GOAT debate can go on forever and no one could be called wrong when it's based on opinions. 

Did Brady or Manning have any more talent than Dan Marino? Not in my opinion but they were on better teams. 

 

 

 

 

 

That team the Dolphins had in 1984 and even 1985 were pretty talented and Shula is a top 5 coach ever. Marino just never won the big one. Lost in the SB in 84 and in 85 the AFC Title Game. He had his chances. Talent wise I am with you though, I would put Marino up there with any QB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True. Jim Brown, Jerry Rice or perhaps Lawrence Taylor could even be in this discussion. That is why I added the OTHER option. I see many have voted OTHER but Peyton is in the lead. The Poll was actually intended just for QB's but I do not have it in the title. The OTHER option I guess saves me anyway lmao .

To add to this, Emmitt Smith is personally one of my all-time favorites as well. He is the all-time leading rusher and left his body out on the field. I loved Eric Dickerson as well, he was freakish athlete.

 

By the way I voted, I voted Peyton. Peyton was the system on his teams and won a SB with 2 different franchises. Only QB ever to do it. He also won 5 League MVP's, most ever. No player period will ever match that. That is an individual award. If we were having an all-time draft, Peyton would be my #1 pick.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to this, Emmitt Smith is personally one of my all-time favorites as well. He is the all-time leading rusher and left his body out on the field. I loved Eric Dickerson as well, he was freakish athlete.

 

By the way I voted, I voted Peyton. Peyton was the system on his teams and won a SB with 2 different franchises. Only QB ever to do it. He also won 5 League MVP's, most ever. No player period will ever match that. That is an individual award.

>>If we were having an all-time draft, Peyton would be my #1 pick.<<

You know what ‘06?..... that’s a cool idea once this year’s draft is done and the off-season doldrums set in......

 

Especially now that we’re all shut in like rats! :bored: 

 

Maybe a 3-Round All-Time draft where Forum participants would sign up for each of the 22 positions instead of teams? We could even include the poor Kickers and Punters :funny:
 

Something to think about anyway!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

You know what ‘06?..... that’s a cool idea once this year’s draft is done and the off-season doldrums set in......

 

Especially now that we’re all shut in like rats! :bored: 

 

Maybe a 3-Round All-Time draft where Forum participants would sign up for each of the 22 positions instead of teams? We could even include the poor Kickers and Punters :funny:
 

Something to think about anyway!

That sounds crazy and the debating would be nuts. I like it. Sign me up!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unitas was the NFL All 50th Anniversary Team QB. Without him and the Colts 58 Overtime Championship on National TV, there probably wouldn’t be an NFL today.  So he was my vote.  Side note- Lenny Moore was also recognized on that team- yet many on here don’t even recognize him in the Colts Top Ten!?!?!?
 

Most ratings, prior to Brady’s success- rate Montana as by far The Best. I still rate Joe as better than a Brady.

 

I personally enjoy Peyton as my Favorite Person who had an NFL Career.  Not only innovative and successful, but fun-loving and Charitable.  Archie and Olivia raised a Keeper, for sure!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Unitas was the NFL All 50th Anniversary Team QB. Without him and the Colts 58 Overtime Championship on National TV, there probably wouldn’t be an NFL today.  So he was my vote.  Side note- Lenny Moore was also recognized on that team- yet many on here don’t even recognize him in the Colts Top Ten!?!?!?
 

Most ratings, prior to Brady’s success- rate Montana as by far The Best. I still rate Joe as better than a Brady.

 

I personally enjoy Peyton as my Favorite Person who had an NFL Career.  Not only innovative and successful, but fun-loving and Charitable.  Archie and Olivia raised a Keeper, for sure!!!

A Mt Rushmore is considered a total of 4 guys at each position. My Mt Rushmore regarding QB's would be:

Peyton Manning 

Tom Brady

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

 

Johnny U makes my Mt Rushmore. Johhny U was the GOAT at QB IMO until Joe Montana came along. Then you now have Peyton and Brady who I flip flop on all the time to was greater lmao 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A Mt Rushmore is considered a total of 4 guys at each position. My Mt Rushmore regarding QB's would be:

Peyton Manning 

Tom Brady

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

 

Johnny U makes my Mt Rushmore. Johhny U was the GOAT at QB IMO until Joe Montana came along. Then you now have Peyton and Brady who I flip flop on all the time to was greater lmao 

Thank You!  Great pick of Four.

 

Most people think of History as only since the time of their birth.  Unitas played in the mid-1950s thru 1973.  The bulk of the posters on here weren’t even born yet when he was leading the NFL. The way football was played then, Unitas was beaten to a pulp every game- not protected like under today’s rules. He wanted to go to Norte Dame, but they said he was so skinny, he wouldn’t survive.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas

 

Johnny Unitas

Unitas in 1967

No. 19Position:QuarterbackPersonal informationBorn:May 7, 1933
Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaDied:September 11, 2002(aged 69)
Baltimore, MarylandHeight:6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)Weight:196 lb (89 kg)Career informationHigh school:St. Justin's
(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)College:LouisvilleNFL Draft:1955 / Round: 9 / Pick: 102Career history

Pittsburgh Steelers (1955)*

Baltimore Colts (1956–1972)

San Diego Chargers (1973)

 * Offseason and/or practice squad member onlyCareer highlights and awards

Super Bowl champion (V)

3× NFL champion (1958, 1959, 1968)

10× Pro Bowl (1957–1964, 1966, 1967)

5× First-team All-Pro (1958, 1959, 1964, 1965, 1967)

3× Second-team All-Pro (1957, 1960, 1963)

3× AP NFL Most Valuable Player (1959, 1964, 1967)

3× Bert Bell Award (1959, 1964, 1967)

NFL Man of the Year (1970)

4× NFL passing yards leader (1957, 1959, 1960, 1963)

4× NFL passing touchdowns leader(1957–1960)

NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team

Indianapolis Colts No. 19 retired

Louisville Cardinals No. 16 retired

Career NFL statistics

Pass attempts:5,186

Pass completions:2,830

Completion percentage:54.6

TD–INT:290–253

Passing yards:40,239

Passer rating:78.2

Player stats at NFL.com

Player stats at PFR

Pro Football Hall of Fame

 

For 52 years, he held the record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass (set between 1956 and 1960), until it was broken in 2012 by Drew Brees

 

Possibly the most ironic- the Steelers had drafted him. They cut him, but kept Ted Marchibroda, who fizzled as a player- and later coached the Colts.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

Thank You!  Great pick of Four.

 

Most people think of History as only since the time of their birth.  Unitas played in the mid-1950s thru 1973.  The bulk of the posters on here weren’t even born yet when he was leading the NFL. The way football was played then, Unitas was beaten to a pulp every game- not protected like under today’s rules. He wanted to go to Norte Dame, but they said he was so skinny, he wouldn’t survive.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas

 

Johnny Unitas

Unitas in 1967

No. 19Position:QuarterbackPersonal informationBorn:May 7, 1933
Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaDied:September 11, 2002(aged 69)
Baltimore, MarylandHeight:6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)Weight:196 lb (89 kg)Career informationHigh school:St. Justin's
(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)College:LouisvilleNFL Draft:1955 / Round: 9 / Pick: 102Career history

Pittsburgh Steelers (1955)*

Baltimore Colts (1956–1972)

San Diego Chargers (1973)

 * Offseason and/or practice squad member onlyCareer highlights and awards

Super Bowl champion (V)

3× NFL champion (1958, 1959, 1968)

10× Pro Bowl (1957–1964, 1966, 1967)

5× First-team All-Pro (1958, 1959, 1964, 1965, 1967)

3× Second-team All-Pro (1957, 1960, 1963)

3× AP NFL Most Valuable Player (1959, 1964, 1967)

3× Bert Bell Award (1959, 1964, 1967)

NFL Man of the Year (1970)

4× NFL passing yards leader (1957, 1959, 1960, 1963)

4× NFL passing touchdowns leader(1957–1960)

NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team

Indianapolis Colts No. 19 retired

Louisville Cardinals No. 16 retired

Career NFL statistics

Pass attempts:5,186

Pass completions:2,830

Completion percentage:54.6

TD–INT:290–253

Passing yards:40,239

Passer rating:78.2

Player stats at NFL.com

Player stats at PFR

Pro Football Hall of Fame

 

For 52 years, he held the record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass (set between 1956 and 1960), until it was broken in 2012 by Drew Brees

 

Possibly the most ironic- the Steelers had drafted him. They cut him, but kept Ted Marchibroda, who fizzled as a player- and later coached the Colts.

 

 

 

 

 

I was born in 1971 so I missed Unitas play live, I started watching in the late 70's. I remember Bert Jones well. I have always been a history guy of the game even has a kid. My dad told me how great Unitas was and back then there wasn't any youtube/internet or anything but I did see old film of him and knew of his stats. I grew up watching Montana, Elway, and Marino early in life. The tail ends of Bradshaw and Staubach's career.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rings is a team accomplishment. Brady is no where near the player Peyton ever was. You put Peyton on the patriots and and give him BB he would have 10 rings lol. Brady is a system qb, he’s lucky he went to a team that has two great recievers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...