Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Caffrey

Antonio Gates

Recommended Posts

There is an Antonio Gates article in Yahoo Sports, says in considered signing with the Colts in 2019.  I know his age is up there, 39, will be 40 at the start of the season.  It mentioned that he has retired mindset but maybe Ballard and Rivers can sway him to give it one more year.  With the Rivers to Gates was one the best connections.  He could be a valuable 3rd receiver for the Colts and Rivers.  I think drafting a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round should be considered as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

There is an Antonio Gates article in Yahoo Sports, says in considered signing with the Colts in 2019.  I know his age is up there, 39, will be 40 at the start of the season.  It mentioned that he has retired mindset but maybe Ballard and Rivers can sway him to give it one more year.  With the Rivers to Gates was one the best connections.  He could be a valuable 3rd receiver for the Colts and Rivers.  I think drafting a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round should be considered as well. 

Is this a joke? Lol Gates is as washed as they come. He can barely run anymore, strong pass. I’d take Walker over him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we bring back Tony Gonzalez or Mike Ditka? 

They are still alive. :sarcasm:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they get a “matchup nightmare” in the draft but I’m also interested to see how Mo Allie Cox does this year. He could be a pretty good player.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Caffrey said:

There is an Antonio Gates article in Yahoo Sports, says in considered signing with the Colts in 2019.  I know his age is up there, 39, will be 40 at the start of the season.  It mentioned that he has retired mindset but maybe Ballard and Rivers can sway him to give it one more year.  With the Rivers to Gates was one the best connections.  He could be a valuable 3rd receiver for the Colts and Rivers.  I think drafting a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round should be considered as well. 

 

Dear God...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I hope they get a “matchup nightmare” in the draft but I’m also interested to see how Mo Allie Cox does this year. He could be a pretty good player.


I was very disappointed with how they used him last year.  I thought he had more promise as a receiver, not just a blocking TE.  
 

Could have been injuries, I don’t know.  But I thought with the decimated receiving corps and Ebron out, he’d shine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I hope they get a “matchup nightmare” in the draft but I’m also interested to see how Mo Allie Cox does this year. He could be a pretty good player.

Here you, been waiting for him to get a shot, but I'd like to see us draft a tight end, maybe even in the 2nd if the talent is there. Not familiar w the TE class much myself tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rayski said:

Here you, been waiting for him to get a shot, but I'd like to see us draft a tight end, maybe even in the 2nd if the talent is there. Not familiar w the TE class much myself tho

 

Several solid TEs in this draft will likely be available around pick 34.

 

Cole Kmet - TE, Notre Dame is 6'6" 262 lbs with a 4.7 forty.  He had 43 receptions last year.  I've seen several mocks with us taking him.

 

Thaddeus Moss -TE - LSU is 6'2" 250 lbs with a 4.65 forty.  I was impressed with him in the college football playoffs.  He's young and his dad in Randy Moss, so he should have a bit of an understanding of the NFL life -- he had 47 receptions last year.

 

Adam Trautman - TE - Dayton is 6'5" 251 lbs with a 4.8 forty.  He did well at Senior Bowl, and had 70 receptions last year, so he's very productive.   Sounds like the 4.8 forty is turning some teams away from him, but I could see him being around in the 3rd round.

 

There are a few more I also like -- https://walterfootball.com/draft2020TE.php

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I hope they get a “matchup nightmare” in the draft but I’m also interested to see how Mo Allie Cox does this year. He could be a pretty good player.

 

Mo Cox not only has good size for the TE position as a blocker, but can play a much more enlarged role in the offense.

 

Knows how to find soft zones in opposing defenses.

 

Thrusts himself into game action at all times without dragging his feet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, nobody wants Gates, I get it, was just a passing thought, no pun intended.

I like what we have in Doyle and Allie Cox and I think can be dangerous downfield receiver.  Too bad Swoops got hurt a couple years ago, he was similar.  Hope we draft a solid prospect 3rd TE, along with top WR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

OK, nobody wants Gates, I get it, was just a passing thought, no pun intended.

I like what we have in Doyle and Allie Cox and I think can be dangerous downfield receiver.  Too bad Swoops got hurt a couple years ago, he was similar.  Hope we draft a solid prospect 3rd TE, along with top WR.

My guess is we will draft a TE either at 34 or 44, same for a WR. 5 years ago signing Gates to a 2 year deal would've been a no brainer. He is just too old now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doyle, swoope, mo aly cox all slow underachiever's. they are blocking TE on extra points.

They need another Dallas Clark type. cant block but can get open.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Doyle, swoope, mo aly cox all slow underachiever's. they are blocking TE on extra points.

They need another Dallas Clark type. cant block but can get open.

 

I was thinking that as well tbh. Dallas was that scrappy guy who defenses would forget about and then get burned badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:
5 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Doyle, swoope, mo aly cox all slow underachiever's. they are blocking TE on extra points.

They need another Dallas Clark type. cant block but can get open.

 

I was thinking that as well tbh. Dallas was that scrappy guy who defenses would forget about and then get burned badly. 

IIRC, in 2009, Clark became the first tight end ever to break 100 receptions, 1,000 yards, and 10 touchdowns in a single NFL season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft claypool and play at te along with another wr and boom explosive  offense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, 85 was essentially just a chain moving target for Philip for about his last 3 years, not just in 2018. Now, he was still awfully good at doing that, and still had those incredible hands to pull in the occasional off target throw, but as for beating anyone down the field, forget it. They had basically just given up even trying to have him do that those last several seasons.

 

However, that doesn't mean there aren't any other uber athletic, big bodied power forwards with exceptional hands that they could look at in the hopes of striking gold with the "next Antonio Gates". And like with Gates, if they tried that, they wouldn't even have to spend a draft pick on him, as they could just sign him as a rookie UDFA. I'm sure all teams are on the lookout for such a guy, but it's not a bad idea, especially with no sure fire studs in this year's tight ends class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...