Indianapolis Colts
Caleb3502

Players the Colts Did Not Re-Sign (Under Ballard)

I thought it would be interested to look at the players the Colts let walk in Free Agency, and the type of season they had after they left the Colts.

S Mike Adams - Signed with Panthers: 69 tackles, 2 INT, 2 FF, 10 PD. Just retired. 

C Jonotthan Harrison - Signed with Jets: No real stats to measure lineman, but the last two years he has played all 32 games and started 18.

DT Zach Kerr - Signed with Broncos: 19 tackles, 0.5 sacks in 11 games. Signed a 2 year deal with Panthers this month. 

ILB Josh McNary - Signed with Jaguars: released before regular season 

G Hugh Thornton - Signed with Falcons: retired 2 months later. Came back for Redskins pre-season in 2019 but was cut before regular season. 

RB Jordan Todman - Signed with Texans: 4 kick returns for 84 yards. Has not played since 2017. 

OLB Erik Walden - Signed with Titans: 36 tackles, 4 sacks. Has not played since 2017. 

C/G Austin Blythe - Waived by Colts and Signed by Rams: Played in 31 games the last two years and started all of them. 

TE Dwayne Allen - Traded with 6th round pick to Patriots for 4th round pick: 10 catches, 86 yards, 1 TD  

WR Kamar Aiken - Signed with Eagles: 6 catches, 53 yards, 5 games played. Released after 5 games. 

ILB Jon Bostic - Signed with Steelers: 73 tackles, 2.5 sacks. Signed with Redskins in 2019: 105 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

S Darius Butler - Did not sign anywhere else 

RB Frank Gore - Signed with Dolphins: 722 rush yards, 12 catches, 124 rec yards, 1 Rec TD 

CB Rashaan Melvin - Signed with Raiders: 56 tackles, 1 INT, 9 PD. Played with Lions in 2019 and now signed with Jaguars this month. 

OLB Barkevious Mingo - Signed with Seahawks: 48 tackles, 1 Sack, 2 FF 

WR Donte Moncrief - Signed with Jaguars: 48 catches, 688 yards, 3 TD. 4 catches for 18 yards in 8 games with Steelers & Panthers in 2019.

C Mike Person - Signed with 49ers: Played in 30 games the last two years and started all of them. Released this month.  

QB Scott Tolzien - Selected by the Birmingham Iron of the AAF in the 3rd round of the 2019 AAF QB Draft. Did not play. Now a Cowboys' coaching assistant. 

DL Henry Anderson - Traded to Jets for 7th round pick:  35 tackles, 7 sacks. In 2019, had 25 tackles and 1 sack. 

LB Najee Goode - Signed with Jaguars: 27 tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD 

WR Ryan Grant - Signed with Raiders: 1 catch for 4 yards in 2 games before being released. Signed by GB, but did not record a catch. 

FB/TE Ryan Hewitt - Signed with Titans: Released before regular season. 

WR Dontrelle Inman - Signed with Patriots: Released before regular season. Signed with Chargers: 8 catches, 132 yards in 4 games. Sign with Colts: 4 catches, 49 yards in 3 games. 

S J.J. Wilcox - Signed with Falcons: placed on IR before season 

DT Al Woods - Signed with Seahawks: 32 tackles, 1 sack. Signed with Jaguars this month. 

CB Nate Hairston - Traded to Jets for Conditional 6th Round Pick: 24 tackles, 1 INT 

C/G Evan Boehm - Traded with 7th Round Pick to Dolphins for 6th Round Pick:  Played 13 games, started 8.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some good offensive line production from those guys after leaving the Colts.

Worst releases: Mike Adams and Jon Boston. Thought they were good players for our defense that could have continued to serve our defense well.

Henry Anderson showed a lot of potential when he played however if I remember right he had a couple seasons here where he was injured for some time. He ended up having a really good year 1 with the jets and a an okay second year. I remember I was surprised by the trade.

Also the Donte Moncrief release surprised me. Really thought he would have worked out here or someone else. Seemed like he had a ton of potential. Still hasn’t done anything....

I always like Blyth.  Wished we kept him.  Boehm is now available and I think he would be a perfect depth signing.  Hope they are considering bringing him back. 

• Like 3

grigson did pick two guards that had potential, their careers went south due to injuries though

imagine if mewhort and thronton had worked out, luck might still be here 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

grigson did pick two guards that had potential, their careers went south due to injuries though

imagine if mewhort and thronton had worked out, luck might still be here 

Mewhort was a tough loss. He was the good/great LG (that could also play LT- College played LT) prior to Quentin Nelson.

50 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Kinda stood out a bit to me as well.

I guess we cant necessarily call ot production, but there was a lot of games started

38 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Boehm is now available and I think he would be a perfect depth signing.

I wouldnt mind bringing Boehm and Person back.

Cant imagine they would be to much. Probably $4-$5m for both combined. Would solve yet another need prior ro draft.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I always like Blyth.  Wished we kept him.  Boehm is now available and I think he would be a perfect depth signing.  Hope they are considering bringing him back. 

Not for certain if this story is about Blyth but it's possible and potentially played a role in him getting cut. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I liked John Simon while he was here, sad to see him cut in 2018. I know he didnt fit what we were moving to but good solid player.

• Like 1

I don't mind that the players OL left had good production because we still had one of if not the best OL in the league.  Which means they were either cut for 2 reasons:

- Couldn't make a starting job but got offered one someone else

- Too expensive to be a depth player

Those are good problems.  Not too many players leaving and performing better which means we may be doing good on our part when it comes to making decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I liked John Simon while he was here, sad to see him cut in 2018. I know he didnt fit what we were moving to but good solid player.

Forgot about John Simon. He's been a decent player for New England. Had 4 sacks, an interception, and a forced fumble last year. He didn't really have a solid spot in Indy (4-3 OLB or 4-3 DE). Glad to see he's getting playing time in New England. 

6 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Worst releases: Mike Adams and Jon Boston. Thought they were good players for our defense that could have continued to serve our defense well.

Henry Anderson showed a lot of potential when he played however if I remember right he had a couple seasons here where he was injured for some time. He ended up having a really good year 1 with the jets and a an okay second year. I remember I was surprised by the trade.

Also the Donte Moncrief release surprised me. Really thought he would have worked out here or someone else. Seemed like he had a ton of potential. Still hasn’t done anything....

He cant catch a cold and he was what Ebron was last year all about himself player Ballard don't like guys that act like that.

31 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

what about guy with the pats> was that grigs or ballard?

Under Grigson. Lawrence Guy was waived by the Colts in 2013 and the Chargers picked him up. Guy was waived right after his blocked field goal vs Seattle. Chargers waived him in 2014 and the Ravens picked him up. Had 4.5 sacks in 2015 for Baltimore, but only 1 sack in 2016. In 2017 Patriots signed him to a 4 year/$20 million deal. The last three seasons for NE, he has played in every game and started all but two of them. He has averaged around 60 tackles/year for NE, and had 3 sacks last year.   

• Like 1

All in all, not too many players that I wished were still here.

• Like 2

IMO 

The only players that had success on the lists were Either a Scheme causality or were late developers

• Like 2

Nice detective work OP.  Seems like pretty good moves for the most part.  Only a few I'd still like to have.

• Like 2

On Blythe wasn't he pretty terrible at guard and sort of like a Center only kind of OL?  

I watch Blythe back in college cause I'm an Iowa fan but seeing him with the Colts I couldn't blame the Colts for cutting him.  I remember a play where a DL got past him to plaster the QB without Blythe even being able to put a hand on him.  He was playing at guard on that play.

I am glad that he's been able to find a home though.  

On 3/28/2020 at 1:57 PM, smittywerb said:

I don't mind that the players OL left had good production because we still had one of if not the best OL in the league.  Which means they were either cut for 2 reasons:

- Couldn't make a starting job but got offered one someone else

- Too expensive to be a depth player

Those are good problems.  Not too many players leaving and performing better which means we may be doing good on our part when it comes to making decisions.

One of my favorite Ballard interviews was after the last draft.  He said something like "You know you're doing it right when you have 10 or more guys from the cut from 75 to 53 going on and playing elsewhere."

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:40 AM, ar7 said:

Not for certain if this story is about Blyth but it's possible and potentially played a role in him getting cut. 

LOL.  If you go on the actual youtube page, the first poster under the video says:

"The guy that got cut is Austin Blythe. • He was drafted in the 7th round as the 248th pick. • Center / Guard • Weighs 298 Ibs • Hight 6,3 • Is White • Played 8 games with the Colts • Was a starter for 1 game with the Colts • Got cut on week 9 which was a road win game against Green Bay : 31-26 - on 9/6/16 • Pat McAfee was hiding his identity because he is currently playing for the Rams and is starting."

15 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

LOL.  If you go on the actual youtube page, the first poster under the video says:

"The guy that got cut is Austin Blythe. • He was drafted in the 7th round as the 248th pick. • Center / Guard • Weighs 298 Ibs • Hight 6,3 • Is White • Played 8 games with the Colts • Was a starter for 1 game with the Colts • Got cut on week 9 which was a road win game against Green Bay : 31-26 - on 9/6/16 • Pat McAfee was hiding his identity because he is currently playing for the Rams and is starting."

That doesn't sound right. According to this Colts.com article, he was cut in May of 2017 during rookie mini-camp.

• Like 1

Seems the Jets love former Colts, not sure how many ex players are currently on what teams though would love to see someone chart it

On 3/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, CurBeatElite said:

One of my favorite Ballard interviews was after the last draft.  He said something like "You know you're doing it right when you have 10 or more guys from the cut from 75 to 53 going on and playing elsewhere."

exactly.  That didn’t happen a lot in the grigson era.  A lot of his guys were out of the league in 2-3 years.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:20 AM, smittywerb said:

exactly.  That didn’t happen a lot in the grigson era.  A lot of his guys were out of the league in 2-3 years.

If the XFL were around while he was our GM you would have seen an entire starting offense and defense of Colts players.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:30 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Seems the Jets love former Colts, not sure how many ex players are currently on what teams though would love to see someone chart it

Now they have desir, hairston, anderson, farley, travis ross, and basham

And Josh Andrews so that makes 7.......I'll have to watch a few more Jets games, actually like a few of these players we just upgraded is all