Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR: Draft or FA??

AustexColt

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you really think that Kansas City would take a 7 million dollar cap hit and cut him? 

Somehow I don't see that happening. 

I do.  They would pick up 14M in additional cap space by cutting him.  They are negative cap space now and more so with the Robinson signing.   

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I do.  They would pick up 14M in additional cap space by cutting him.  They are negative cap space now and more so with the Robinson signing.   

Trading him is the better option. IMO that is more than likely to happen than cutting him.

Have you even bothered to look if he even fits with the Colts and how it effects their cap space? 

On 3/27/2020 at 5:46 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup, nailed it. Most folks don't think about "who goes where", and what you need at certain WR positions (X, Z, traditional slot, big slot, deep sets, etc.). They just see flashy WR and forget about what we already have...

I just think a lot of people make too many assumptions about "who goes where."  Sanders ran routes from all over the field last year, and through his career, he's never been locked into lining up in one spot.  I think people underestimate the versatility in recievers.  Winning teams move their WRs around so they're not too predictable.  Sanders is a moot point now, and at his age, maybe 8 million a year was too much.  But I think running good routes, creating separation, and actually catching the ball are more important than fitting a predetermined description of an "X", "Z", or slot. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Trading him is the better option. IMO that is more than likely to happen than cutting him.

Have you even bothered to look if he even fits with the Colts and how it effects their cap space? 

If you trade for him you take on his contract and the 21M cap hit.  If he's cut his new contract becomes the cap hit.  Probably 9-10M.  Teams know they are up against the cap.  It would make sense to wait them out.  JMO. 

56 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If you trade for him you take on his contract and the 21M cap hit.  If he's cut his new contract becomes the cap hit.  Probably 9-10M.  Teams know they are up against the cap.  It would make sense to wait them out.  JMO. 

Just why are you enamored with him? 

He has never lived up to the 4th overall pick in 2014. Three teams later he may be cut. So what does that say? 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just why are you enamored with him? 

He has never lived up to the 4th overall pick in 2014. Three teams later he may be cut. So what does that say? 

Because he is the only WR who is currently available in the FA market, or in his case most likely to be cut, that would take the double team away from TY IMO.  The only reason he's being cut is for cap relief.  BTW I really wanted Perriman but I guess Ballard didn't.  So the next best option is Watkins unless Ballard trades for a WR.  Ballard knows him from his KC days, just like Houston , so if he is cut it will be interesting to see if he tries to bring him in as well. 

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Because he is the only WR who is currently available in the FA market, or in his case most likely to be cut, that would take the double team away from TY IMO.  The only reason he's being cut is for cap relief.  BTW I really wanted Perriman but I guess Ballard didn't.  So the next best option is Watkins unless Ballard trades for a WR.  Ballard knows him from his KC days, just like Houston , so if he is cut it will be interesting to see if he tries to bring him in as well. 

You might be right, I don't know.

Him being the only WR currently available is no reason for Ballard to sign him. Yes we need a WR but we are not that hard up to pass out a contract because he is the only one available. There will be more WRs who will become available between now and the start of season. We also have the draft and there is a couple pretty talented ones that will be there when the Colts pick. There is no need to panic. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You might be right, I don't know.

Him being the only WR currently available is no reason for Ballard to sign him. Yes we need a WR but we are not that hard up to pass out a contract because he is the only one available. There will be more WRs who will become available between now and the start of season. We also have the draft and there is a couple pretty talented ones that will be there when the Colts pick. There is no need to panic. 

He is not the only current WR available.  But if he's released he will be the best one.  I don't think Ballard panics.  I think he has a plan and is constantly working it.  No doubt he will draft a WR.  But if the opportunity presents itself to get a player like Watkins I think he will try.  And he won't be alone.  Teams like the Eagles or Jets would also be in the hunt I would expect.  So we shall see soon enough. 

22 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

I just think a lot of people make too many assumptions about "who goes where."  Sanders ran routes from all over the field last year, and through his career, he's never been locked into lining up in one spot.  I think people underestimate the versatility in recievers.  Winning teams move their WRs around so they're not too predictable.  Sanders is a moot point now, and at his age, maybe 8 million a year was too much.  But I think running good routes, creating separation, and actually catching the ball are more important than fitting a predetermined description of an "X", "Z", or slot. 

All teams move their WRs around. Some more than others depending on scheme, and some depending on talent pool. Our Xs spent a lot of time inside running from slot formation, our Z (TY) lines up all over the place and is in motion typically a lot. Our traditional slots run a ton of simple clear outs. 

The point is, size and speed are going to determine personnel and routes. You don't run a slow and short guy deep. You don't run a guy who sucks vs the press on the line as an X against a physical DB... It's all about finding the best spot given individual size, speed, skills, etc.. And OCs/coaches all have a level of strategy that takes into account those position. There are certainly some that can play any position, and certainly some Os that mix things up more than others. But the norm is the norm, and position type is till important, at least in Reich's O. 

It's got to be the draft, and we now see this was CB's intention from the start.  This draft appears to be one of the deepest in memory and teams will be able to get pretty good ones even in the 4th round.  So I expect the Colts to draft one in the 2nd, and I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if they don't.  This will be good enough to become WR2 in this offense, and will make a good compliment to Hilton.  I would expect one with size, ie. Higgins, Mims, Claypool, Pittman, etc. to be the guy.  They already have two smaller, speedsters in Hilton and Campbell.  Pascal is bigger and this would be the compliment to that.  

It just makes sense to me that you go where the strength is in the draft and cover the weaker with FA.  The DT's in this class are strong, so that makes the Buckner trade an outlier, but I don't believe Ballard had him targeted in any way.  I think this opportunity just came along and Ballard thought it too good to pass up, and I would agree with him.  I would also expect them to grab a TE and an OT.

All for drafting a wr but to me that's like playing with fire as it takes time for this position to transition to the next level.  We are in WIN now mode so going into the season with TY as the only proven veteran is mind boggling.  CB will sign a WR in FA and if he doesnt could be the Achilles heal to our season yet once again.  I'm not counting on TY to be available and I hope CB doesn't either.  I love TY but how many games have the Colts won w/o TY Hilton?  I want a veteran signing plus one of the 2nd rd picks in the draft and even that is uncomforting.

Archived