Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chad Kelly better than any Mid round Draft Pick in 2020

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

That is just an opinion.

Some of us see Rivers 1 with Brissett and Kelly close, and Kelly being the better overall QB on the field.

Yes...   that’s just my opinion.

Honestly, I think Ballard will try to move JB in a trade during the draft.  Not saying it will happen.   There are LOTS of moving pieces here.   Many different things could happen.   So at this point I’m open to hearing most any news.   I’m expecting the unexpected. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Some of us see Rivers 1 with Brissett and Kelly close, and Kelly being the better overall QB on the field.

Appearantly, "some of us"....as far as who is better between Chad and Jacoby....so far has not included those who run the team, who watch him at practice, and who make the final decisions. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wish I could interview Jacoby. I can usually get a feel from talking to someone how they feel on things. Like I said I may be wrong and maybe he wants to go back to being a backup. Just not sure that is the case though. If I was a starter then got demoted after only 1 year, it would bother me.

He wasn’t expecting to be the starter 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I think Ballard will try to move JB in a trade during the draft.  Not saying it will happen.   There are LOTS of moving pieces here.   Many different things could happen.   So at this point I’m open to hearing most any news.   I’m expecting the unexpected. 

Yep. We (none of us in here are) are not there to watch these guys up close or interview them. Ballard and Reich are. So whatever they roll with we just have to trust. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He wasn’t expecting to be the starter 

True but the competitor in him probably feels like he let the team down by going 7-7. Overall 7-9 as a team. If it was me I would be like let me prove everyone wrong going into the next season. I played sports in highschool so that is just me lmao 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With his contract,  I can't see anyone trading for him

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but the competitor in him probably feels like he let the team down by going 7-7. Overall 7-9 as a team. If it was me I would be like let me prove everyone wrong going into the next season. I played sports in highschool so that is just me lmao 

I have been around sports since birth in every position but Varsity HC

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Jacobys numbers in the pros are not an argument in his favor, they were bad.  Chad did enough in college and pre season to make me think he could beat out jb

He's been here long enough to give him a fair shot at that for once

Who's talking about JB's qualifications?  You're dragging things into this discussion from old arguments that don't even matter anymore.

The fact is that professional numbers is all we have to judge these guys at this point, more than 3 years removed from the college career of Kelly and even more than that as pertains to Brissett.

And no, the fact that Kelly hasn't even played doesn't create a null data set.  it creates a data set with all the facts associated with not having ever been chosen to play a meaningful football snap included.

No one's talking about Brissett vs Kelly.  That argument is over at this point, and Ballard has clearly already made the call that Brissett's intangibles trump Kelly's raw but unfocused talent.  if after everything that happened last year, and all the frustrations of the second half collapse, Ballard is still not done with Brissett, then it's very unlikely that dynamic changes meaningfully in the next 12 months when neither man is all that likely to play a meaningful game.

Bottom line, Kelly is behind Brissett on the depth chart and likely to remain there for the forseeable.  The Rivers signing set that in concrete.

The question, at least in my mind, is if Ballard is actually interested in Kelly as more than an emergency depth piece, and at this point, that's very clearly not the case.

your opinion, my opinion, don't matter.  In Ballard and Reich's opinion, as determined by their actions, they view Kelly as a piece that belongs  behind Rivers, Brissett and even Hoyer on the depth chart. 

Considering the state of the team in the second half of this season, the fact that Kelly didn't play at all is really telling IMHO.

For the record, I honestly see Kelly taking a chance on the XFL at the end of this coming season.  He's got a decent job as a Colts depth guy right now, but unless he does something to get his name out there that's gonna dry up in the not too distant future. 

Generally speaking teams don't move a guy up to QB2 in their late 20s unless they're failed starters, if a guy hasn't had a chance to start by 27 he's probably not getting one.  There are exceptions but they mostly prove the rule. 

Kelly on  very limited time to get his name back out there and compete for one last chance to cash in.  Also, pro football players usually want to play, not sit.  I see him walking away from money for one last chance at the brass ring.  A stint in the XFL seems like his best shot to actually get a proper backup QB job the way Walker and Ta'amu did. 

Especially in Kelly's case where he has character questions to answer that can only be settled on a field he can't break onto in the NFL.

20 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

No one's talking about Brissett vs Kelly.  That argument is over at this point, and Ballard has clearly already made the call that Brissett's intangibles trump Kelly's raw but unfocused talent.  if after everything that happened last year, and all the frustrations of the second half collapse, Ballard is still not done with Brissett, then it's very unlikely that dynamic changes meaningfully in the next 12 months when neither man is all that likely to play a meaningful game.

Bottom line, Kelly is behind Brissett on the depth chart and likely to remain there for the forseeable.  The Rivers signing set that in concrete.

The question, at least in my mind, is if Ballard is actually interested in Kelly as more than an emergency depth piece, and at this point, that's very clearly not the case.

your opinion, my opinion, don't matter.  In Ballard and Reich's opinion, as determined by their actions, they view Kelly as a piece that belongs  behind Rivers, Brissett and even Hoyer on the depth chart. 

Considering the state of the team in the second half of this season, the fact that Kelly didn't play at all is really telling IMHO.

this is nothing but speculation on your part, they have not named a backup yet...   who says there wont be a competition between him and kelly in training camp?

they obviously were not going to play Chad even when jacoby stunk last year, maybe that will change now

you act like you have seen the future and think they will never give chad a real chance, you dont  know that at all

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see Kelly as nothing more as a backup for now. We just haven't seen any sample size of him is the problem. He is more talented than Jacoby but Jacoby is more of a leader and off the field is a good citizen.

The one thing JB is has been a great teammate and a good citizen for sure. His QB’ing skills lag behind those assets though. I’m content with Rivers and Kelly, assuming that the team has a future purpose for Kelly. CB knows what Kelly can or can’t do in practices and stuff. He has stayed clean and had zero distractions. He definitely has the QB talent, can he lead a team with his new found choir boy status? Time will tell. 

it would be tough to go from highly propped up starter with a raise and tons of praise into a back up spot. Except that money could help. I hope we move on from him, he is not our future.  

For the capologists on the board

what is JBs hit to the Colts in 2020 if they cut him pre June 1?

I know we have a $7m bonus he will get for being on roster March 1

What is his hit on top of that?

For whatever reason, CK is still around

I also think that we draft a rookie QB to develop...

What is JBs role in either scenario?

On 3/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, Indyfan4life said:

I don’t understand this Kelly obsession. At all. 

I wouldn't say I'm obsessing over him but he's no ordinary 3rd string QB and I think it undercuts your argument to act like he is.  He has a great amount of physical talent.  More than one draft source said his arm talent was comparable to the top end of the draft.  (A draft which included Watson and Mahomes)

The negatives on him where size, reads, and character/maturity   

Size you can't do anything about but there are several players whom it has not stopped.

Reads can be learned and worked on.

Character/maturity was the biggest thing that held him back.  And it should be noted that character means more when to comes to QB than any other position.  And that is a big reason that Kelly found himself out of the NFL for a while.  

The idea being that IF Kelly has grown up he likely has the physical talent to be a franchise QB.  Does that mean he necessarily will?  No.  We can't even say for sure that he has grown up, only time will tell.  

I don't know if Kelly is the answer.  But at the same time I think it's off to pretend like he's an ordinary 3rd string/backup.  

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

For the capologists on the board

what is JBs hit to the Colts in 2020 if they cut him pre June 1?

I know we have a $7m bonus he will get for being on roster March 1

What is his hit on top of that?

For whatever reason, CK is still around

I also think that we draft a rookie QB to develop...

What is JBs role in either scenario?

JB's cap hit for this year is 21.3 Million.  7 million is in a guaranteed roster bonus.  5.5 million is in a pro-rated signing bonus.

Therefore he has a 12.5 Million dead cap hit but would save 8.875 million against the cap if cut.

It does not matter if he is cut pre or post June 1.  That only matters for players who have more years on their contract after this year.  

I don't know what the plan is to be honest.  He's a lot of money for a backup, but at the same time 12.5 Million is a sunk cost anyways so think about it like you are paying 8.875 million for an experienced backup who's familiar with the players, coaches, and playbook.  Still a little pricey but I believe Foles got like 7M to be the backup in Philly and that really paid off for them.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Reich viewed it in a similar light and was willing to part with a few mil in extra cap space in order to have a good plan B.

The other thing is that it could be that he's staying on the roster until we draft a QB.  (Because we might need him if the draft doesn't work out to us getting a QB.)

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They might trade for him with the condition of re-working the deal.   Just thinking out loud, not a prediction.  

Well at this point now that we've paid his roster bonus and his signing bonus, the cost to who ever traded for him would be 8.875 Million, none of which is guaranteed.  

That said his cost is still very high end for a backup quarterback and I don't see anyone seeing his tape from 2019 and saying "That's our starter."

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Well at this point now that we've paid his roster bonus and his signing bonus, the cost to who ever traded for him would be 8.875 Million, none of which is guaranteed.  

That said his cost is still very high end for a backup quarterback and I don't see anyone seeing his tape from 2019 and saying "That's our starter."

I don’t see a team trading for JB as a starter.   That ship has sailed.

They'd trade for him to be their backup.   Figured they extend to try to lower his cap hit.   That’s not uncommon. 

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

JB's cap hit for this year is 21.3 Million.  7 million is in a guaranteed roster bonus.  5.5 million is in a pro-rated signing bonus.

Therefore he has a 12.5 Million dead cap hit but would save 8.875 million against the cap if cut.

It does not matter if he is cut pre or post June 1.  That only matters for players who have more years on their contract after this year.  

I don't know what the plan is to be honest.  He's a lot of money for a backup, but at the same time 12.5 Million is a sunk cost anyways so think about it like you are paying 8.875 million for an experienced backup who's familiar with the players, coaches, and playbook.  Still a little pricey but I believe Foles got like 7M to be the backup in Philly and that really paid off for them.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Reich viewed it in a similar light and was willing to part with a few mil in extra cap space in order to have a good plan B.

The other thing is that it could be that he's staying on the roster until we draft a QB.  (Because we might need him if the draft doesn't work out to us getting a QB.)

Thanks

My 2 cents.......

Unless you are drafting top 5 or get VERY lucky......

You need to develop your future franchise QB of the future...... why wait?

We are probably going to be out of reach next year....

As I mentioned before.... JB actually hurts the Colts toward that progress

He will be taking snaps away from a potential development QB

I would see if I could get a pick during the draft for JB....

If a developmental prospect becomes available in round 3 or later such as Gordon or Morgan(5th), and no one wants to trade for JB you let him go

I would Much rather have a weaker backup QB situation and be taking a try at my future QB

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks

My 2 cents.......

If a developmental prospect becomes available in round 3 or later such as Gordon or Morgan(5th), and no one wants to trade for JB you let him go

I would Much rather have a weaker backup QB situation and be taking a try at my future QB

The drafting top 5 or get lucky is completely untrue.  You just need good scouting and good development.

Lots of starters in the league where drafted outside of the top 5.  Shoot look at 2017, the QB selected in the top 5 busted completely while franchise guys where selected at 10 and 12.  

24 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The drafting top 5 or get lucky is completely untrue.  You just need good scouting and good development.

Lots of starters in the league where drafted outside of the top 5.  Shoot look at 2017, the QB selected in the top 5 busted completely while franchise guys where selected at 10 and 12.  

You are missing my point

Put the two lines together that you are quoting from me

I am saying that unless we are lucky or getting the top players

THEY WILL PROBABLY need Time to develop before you put them on the field

I am ok, with taking someone later

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks

My 2 cents.......

We are no more out of reach this yr than next, in fact,  are actually more out of reach this yr than we are next yr.

2 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

We are no more out of reach this yr than next, in fact,  are actually more out of reach this yr than we are next yr.

Huh?

I think you just enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing....

This year, we HAD a 13th and 2 very early 2nds.........

PLENTY of  ammo to trade up to get a QB of the future

Next year, (a this point) I believe that we will have a little better record, possibly 9-7

Thats a pick around 18 to 20, and unless we do something drastic, 1 a 2nd in the 50's

More of a reach next year than this year.......

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Huh?

I think you just enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing....

This year, we HAD a 13th and 2 very early 2nds.........

PLENTY of  ammo to trade up to get a QB of the future

Next year, (a this point) I believe that we will have a little better record, possibly 9-7

Thats a pick around 18 to 20, and unless we do something drastic, 1 a 2nd in the 50's

More of a reach next year than this year.......

I bolded the HAD

So that reinforces what I am saying.

Right now, we can trade 2nd rounders to get back to the 1st round to get a developmental QB 

Or Next yr we can trade our 1st and a second or whatever for a player out of the top 3 taken.  I am guessing Lawerence, Fields and Newman go earlier than where we would pick.    Lawrence is like Burrow this yr, no way we can get him for the most part, and Fields would also cost to much.

That leave Newman and beyond.  

Newman will also be a developmental QB, but most likely better than anyone in this yrs draft not named Burrow or Tua.

Not arguing, for the sake of arguing.  I am being realistic and a NON homer

If the Colts draft a QB this yr they would get AT BEST Tua and it would cost a fortune and he has injury issues. The rest are REALLY projects.  Love Herbet and beyond, maybe possibly turning into a mid level talent.  Very less likely chance of turning into a franchise guy.

Ballard has laid this plan out.  He is not afraid to make moves for the right player, but he won't waste a roster spot on a high draft pick to sit the bench for 1-2 yrs.  He's smart like that!  

It baffles me why you and others would trade 2-3 great draft picks and possible players for a developmental QB that won't start for probably 2 yrs.  Just baffling 

And most likely would be the 3rd string QB, because the way it looks JB aint going anywhere this yr.   

So yea I have an issue trading top picks for a possible 3rd string QB

7 hours ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

Kelly will be a FA after this season.  If he isn't given a chance to compete for the starting job, he will leave the Colts after this season and sign with a team that will at least give him the opportunity to play.

EVERY Colt QB will be a FA after this season. With the slot completely open, Kelly has his best chance to start right here, should he develop and fly right this year.  Rivers, Brissett, and Kelly are all on their last year of their contracts. 

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

I bolded the HAD

So that reinforces what I am saying.

Right now, we can trade 2nd rounders to get back to the 1st round to get a developmental QB 

Or Next yr we can trade our 1st and a second or whatever for a player out of the top 3 taken.  I am guessing Lawerence, Fields and Newman go earlier than where we would pick.    Lawrence is like Burrow this yr, no way we can get him for the most part, and Fields would also cost to much.

That leave Newman and beyond.  

Newman will also be a developmental QB, but most likely better than anyone in this yrs draft not named Burrow or Tua.

Not arguing, for the sake of arguing.  I am being realistic and a NON homer

If the Colts draft a QB this yr they would get AT BEST Tua and it would cost a fortune and he has injury issues. The rest are REALLY projects.  Love Herbet and beyond, maybe possibly turning into a mid level talent.  Very less likely chance of turning into a franchise guy.

Ballard has laid this plan out.  He is not afraid to make moves for the right player, but he won't waste a roster spot on a high draft pick to sit the bench for 1-2 yrs.  He's smart like that!  

It baffles me why you and others would trade 2-3 great draft picks and possible players for a developmental QB that won't start for probably 2 yrs.  Just baffling 

And most likely would be the 3rd string QB, because the way it looks JB aint going anywhere this yr.   

So yea I have an issue trading top picks for a possible 3rd string QB

If you had read any of my earlier posts the only QB I would have given up the top draft capitol on would have been Tua

I actually wanted us to work a deal for Carr

but......

keep on keeping on....

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If you had read any of my earlier posts the only QB I would have given up the top draft capitol on would have been Tua

I actually wanted us to work a deal for Carr

but......

keep on keeping on....

Sorry.  I'm one of those essential guys so I don't have time to read every post on here.   

Don't want Carr.  He's too long term.  The Colts are trying to win now and get these guys off of contracts, then the re do again.   That's why a QB doesn't make a sense at all this yr.  I could be wrong but the stars are not aligning that I'm not.

People think if we don't get a QB this yr we will never get one.  They dont run out like toilet paper

16 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Sorry.  I'm one of those essential guys so I don't have time to read every post on here.   

Hope you stay safe out there. Most of my family is working on the front lines from healthcare to grocery. Needless to say, it’s overwhelming... 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Hope you stay safe out there. Most of my family is working on the front lines from healthcare to grocery. Needless to say, it’s overwhelming... 

Thank you.  This internet thing might just be here to stay! HA

Here's my take on this.   If things go well we have Phil Rivers for a couple of years, but no one to follow him.   We know Jacoby aint our man, and if anyone wants to take him on, I wish him all the very best.  Chad isn't a long term answer either, but we will need him or Jacoby incase Phil gets a knock. But not both, that doesn't make sense.

So, we need to find a new QB at some point in the not too distant future.   

I would use our last 6th round pick on Jacob Knipp.   Before you tell me he's rubbish, we are talking abot using pick 211, so it's obviously a gamble. I just think the kid is smart, calm under pressure and accurate(ish).  Worth using pick 211.

Or we go back for anothe go next year.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:05 AM, chriscory said:

Here's my take on this.   If things go well we have Phil Rivers for a couple of years, but no one to follow him.   We know Jacoby aint our man, and if anyone wants to take him on, I wish him all the very best.  Chad isn't a long term answer either, but we will need him or Jacoby incase Phil gets a knock. But not both, that doesn't make sense.

So, we need to find a new QB at some point in the not too distant future.   

I would use our last 6th round pick on Jacob Knipp.   Before you tell me he's rubbish, we are talking abot using pick 211, so it's obviously a gamble. I just think the kid is smart, calm under pressure and accurate(ish).  Worth using pick 211.

Or we go back for anothe go next year.

You don't know that.  You can speculate that CK isn't a long term solution but you can't know that .

On 3/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, jimmy g said:

EVERY Colt QB will be a FA after this season. With the slot completely open, Kelly has his best chance to start right here, should he develop and fly right this year.  Rivers, Brissett, and Kelly are all on their last year of their contracts. 

The main point I was making is that Kelly probably won't be given a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job so he will not re sign with the Colts. His rookie deal is up at the end of the season. I don't really know or care about the other 2 QBs contract status. 

1 hour ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

The main point I was making is that Kelly probably won't be given a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job so he will not re sign with the Colts. His rookie deal is up at the end of the season. I don't really know or care about the other 2 QBs contract status. 

If he gets a chance to be the backup to say Rivers, in 2 years and JB moves on, I think Kelly would sign for the paycheck, and familiarity of the organization.

Nobody on Earth knows what Chad Kelly can do but i put my repetition on the line and suggest that we would’ve had a better shot at beating the Dolphins & Steelers than with Hoyer!  What makes me so darn mad is the personnel in this Org get paid millions to make these decisions, to watch film in the wee hrs of the night, only to backfire!!  If nothing else, in these two games you find out what you got with CK but instead we got two pivotal losses after a 5-2 record!

On 4/2/2020 at 2:06 PM, blackcoffeeguy said:

You don't know that.  You can speculate that CK isn't a long term solution but you can't know that .

Funny how many have actual opinions on CK w/o seeing a single snap in a regular season game.  For those that think CK is not a long term solution, is it because the Staff continues to not believe in him?  Is it because they chose Brian Hoyer in desperate times over giving the young gun a chance?  For those that think CK could be the long term solution, is it because he had success vs 3rd string comp in preseason?  Is it because maybe regardless of competition, he showed a natural ability to move the chains and look like an actual qb at this level?  We will never know whose right or whose wrong as its apparent the signing of Chad Kelly was nothing more than a PR move for Coach Reich w/ his ties to Buffalo!  

Archived