Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chad Kelly better than any Mid round Draft Pick in 2020

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Never said anything about Jim Kelly

I said that at this point Roster Status is not factor since it has guys like Lafayette Pitts and Matt Lengel who will probably not factor in the final roster

With the announcement the Jacoby being the backup 

You just said this.  There was no announcement, just a media rumor

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No I wouldn’t because I deal with impressionable people daily and am a crusader against the behavior CK has shown and at this point roster status means nothing 

For me I will take a good quarterback with high character over someone with all World talent with major character flaws

The NFL isn't a church league.  Even convicts are given second chances.  Hope you're wearing PPE; that fall off your high horse could cause injury.

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The NFL isn't a church league.  Even convicts are given second chances.  Hope you're wearing PPE; that fall off your high horse could cause injury.

I didn’t realize me being a crusader was such a problem

It is called being a teachers kid in a small town

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I said at this point and the pronoun my

The cap hit that cutting Jacoby could be a big factor 

Talent is not always a deciding factor

They would gain money by cutting him.  Makes sense to have him and ck compete for that spot and cut the loser.  

Chad could go to the practice squad though, if he's still worth of being herr

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

They would gain money by cutting him.  Makes sense to have him and ck compete for that spot and cut the loser.  

Chad could go to the practice squad though, if he's still worth of being herr

What happens with JB might depend on who is available at the June 1 cuts and CK future might depend on if FR and CB decide to draft a QB or sign an UDFA 

I have a feeling that FR and CB want a backup with some starting experience in case Rivers is washed up and the team needs to make a change 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:12 AM, WifiGuy said:

Are 100% sure other teams passed on him?  Or did his agent tell the other teams he will not sign with them because the Colts will match their offer?  But maybe all teams did. 

I am not saying that happened, I' just saying we never ever know everything involved

Not every teams will take a chance on a player that got in trouble with the law a lot of the teams don't like players that got into trouble like that flashes red flags. If i'm not mistaken teams passed on him in the draft the year he came out despite the talent because of red flags off the field when he was still in college.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, indyagent17 said:

He was the last pick in the draft for two reasons; Questionable character and skill level. All we have seen of him is against 3rd string players late in pre season games. The team has let him dangle on the PS for a long time and nobody else wants him so I really do not see why so many of you are so enamored by him.

Enough of this nonsense. Kelly is better than Brissett right now.

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What happens with JB might depend on who is available at the June 1 cuts and CK future might depend on if FR and CB decide to draft a QB or sign an UDFA 

I have a feeling that FR and CB want a backup with some starting experience in case Rivers is washed up and the team needs to make a change 

Chad could beat jb in a camp competition, don't forget that option

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

CK doesn’t have the NFL was experience that I feel the brain trust wants in a backup so that could be a moot point

If this is true, why did Chris Ballard sign him?    If this is true, why is Chad Kelly still on the roster?  

Something is not adding up?

@aaron11  

Sadly roster development takes in a many factors

During my playing and coaching days I can name numerous instances of more talented players were placed lower on the depth chart because they were less experienced and/or ill suited to the scheme.  

For Example Pn the first DC of my senior season I was the number 1 Center but by week one not only was I not starting I had moved positions 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If this is true, why did Chris Ballard sign him?    If this is true, why is Chad Kelly still on the roster?  

Something is not adding up?

The same reason Matt Lengel and Lafayette Pitts are on the roster

The current roster cap is 90 

I said that with the signing of a 38 yo PR and some of the moves CB has made I feel the brain trust wants someone with NFL starting experience at #2

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

CK doesn’t have the NFL was experience that I feel the brain trust wants in a backup so that could be a moot point

You are just saying that because you don't like him.   Guy could be great and you would still never play him I get it

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Time to give him a real chance to beat jacoby.  He showed more talent in college and pre season, while playing in tougher conferences

At this point both players are multiyear professionals.  After your second professional year college numbers really dwindle in significance.

4 hours ago, HOZER said:

Brisset was getting paid a lot of money, insisted on playing, Hoyer was getting paid a lot of money, and he’s sticking to his guns with Kelly and the process.

You know as well as i do that if there was a decision by Ballard to give Kelly a chance in one of the final 2-3 games of the season, neither Hoyer nor a convalescing Brissett would be the reason why it wouldn't happen.

Brissett insisted on playing?  Of course he did.  he was fighting for his job, and for all his flaws on the field, the man's a good leader and didn't wan't to abandon his team. 

A consummate professional like Brissett is never going to tell you he can't go.  It's up to the coaches to take a guy like that and coax him into sitting when that's the best decision for everyone involved. 

If Ballard had spoken up for Kelly, and I mean spoken up at all, he would probably have played.  The fans certainly would have understood, heck they were calling for it, Brissett was clearly less than 100%, and we were all curious to see what Kelly could do.  There was really nothing stopping it from happen, other than one or both of Reich and Ballard deciding it wouldn't happen.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The same reason Matt Lengel and Lafayette Pitts are on the roster

The current roster cap is 90 

I said that with the signing of a 38 yo PR and some of the moves CB has made I feel the brain trust wants someone with NFL starting experience at #2

Mike Lengel and Lafayette Pitts were not on the 63 man roster all last year.   Nor was either made the highest paid practice squad member in the NFL.   Kelly was.  

This is beginning to feel deeply personal to you.   Far above what a fan would argue. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mike Lengel and Lafayette Pitts we’re not onthe 63 man roster all last year.   Nor was either made the highest paid practice squad member in the NFL.   Kelly was.  

Thus beginning to feel deeply personal to you.   Far above what a fan would argue. 

Making a point based on a players roster status in March is like crowning a champion after game 1

54 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You know as well as i do that if there was a decision by Ballard to give Kelly a chance in one of the final 2-3 games of the season, neither Hoyer nor a convalescing Brissett would be the reason why it wouldn't happen.

Brissett insisted on playing?  Of course he did.  he was fighting for his job, and for all his flaws on the field, the man's a good leader and didn't wan't to abandon his team. 

A consummate professional like Brissett is never going to tell you he can't go.  It's up to the coaches to take a guy like that and coax him into sitting when that's the best decision for everyone involved. 

If Ballard had spoken up for Kelly, and I mean spoken up at all, he would probably have played.  The fans certainly would have understood, heck they were calling for it, Brissett was clearly less than 100%, and we were all curious to see what Kelly could do.  There was really nothing stopping it from happen, other than one or both of Reich and Ballard deciding it wouldn't happen.

Yes, Brissett insisted. Any QB with integrity is going to give it his best shot, as long as they can play through injury and are allowed to.

Even if Brissett was benched for the rest of the season, it would have been up to the next QB in line, Hoyer, to take the reigns. That’s what he was brought in to do. 

Ballard stated he has a plan for Kelly, and he’s sticking to it. Maybe he has a time frame? Can it change if someone with more potential comes along? Sure. Draft/camp will tell the story.

42 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Making a point based on a players roster status in March is like crowning a champion after game 1

Im making the point that Jelly was in the 63 the entire season, not just this March.

Look...   I’m NOT predicting CK makes the final 55.   I’m only saying he’s not just another guy on the 90.   He’s demonstrated enough to make us carry him and reward him. 

I don’t know if Kelly can go back on the PS this year?   Isn’t it four years?   Not sure?   But I suspect that’s where we’d like to put him for the season.  Rivers and Brissett go 1-2.   Kelly, a distant third. 

I’m not one of those fans who thinks Kelky is the most talented QB on the roster —by far.   But I think he’s better than you’re giving him credit for. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im making the point that Jelly was in the 63 the entire season, not just this March.

Look...   I’m NOT predicting CK makes the final 55.   I’m only saying he’s not just another guy on the 90.   He’s demonstrated enough to make us carry him and reward him. 

I don’t know if Kelly can go back on the PS this year?   Isn’t it four years?   Not sure?   But I suspect that’s where we’d like to put him for the season.  Rivers and Brissett go 1-2.   Kelly, a distant third. 

I’m not one of those fans who thinks Kelky is the most talented QB on the roster —by far.   But I think he’s better than you’re giving him credit for. 

I used Lengel and Pitts because their names were easy to remember/spell 

I think CK is very talented but I am not a big fan of his off the field antics

Might be my upbringing or that I am a Kentucky fan or that his uncle was a Bill

Who Knows

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I used Lengel and Pitts because their names were easy to remember/spell 

I think CK is very talented but I am not a big fan of his off the field antics

Might be my upbringing or that I am a Kentucky fan or that his uncle was a Bill

Who Knows

I don’t know anyone who is a fan of Kelly’s off the field behavior?  Who could be?  

But I’m hoping (along with the Colts) that Kelly has put his past behind him.  That he’s clean and sober and now serious about football.  If it’s true, maybe we have lucked into at least a quality backup....

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

At this point both players are multiyear professionals.  After your second professional year college numbers really dwindle in significance.

Listening to you and a few others, Brissett must walk on water! Keep using the injury as an excuse though if it helps your point of view or lack of it. I think he lost his confidence. Teams started taking away what he does well and either he couldn't or wouldn't throw the ball down field on a consistent basis. Therefore, he sucks as a QB in the NFL. Leadership takes you so far if you can't back it up. If the Colts keep him as back up and he (heaven forbid!) has to go in the game, i think we are in trouble! It will not be good. In fact, i just might throw up!!!!!!!!!!

I have nothing against Chad but I voted NO. I voted NO because I have no idea if he is or isn't. Nobody knows in reality because he hasn't played a regular season snap for us. I was hoping he would play the last 2 games last year but he did not. As of now our staff thinks JB is better and they would know. JB is a great backup, he has proven that.

I am going to repeat my bold prediction from last December right after the season ended. Brissett will not be on the team come opening day this season. I just don't see him here. We just gave 25 million to Rivers, that's like telling Brissett "you just can't get the job done" see ya.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Jacobys numbers in the pros are not an argument in his favor, they were bad.  Chad did enough in college and pre season to make me think he could beat out jb

He's been here long enough to give him a fair shot at that for once

On 3/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, Jdubu said:

I’ve been very high on what he showed us along with his draft profile. The head is his downfall. He has stayed clear of any issues since arriving to Indy. 

100% agree. 

Skill level was NOT in question as to his draft pick status, it was all his behavior. His childish behaviors were so bad that all his positives were negated. So far at colts headquarters, he has seemingly been a Boy Scout and he flashed plenty in the preseason that we saw. I honestly believe he has a legit shot to take the reigns. Maybe he gets another season under A true NFL professional like Rivers and then he gets his shot.  As another poster said, the draft will provide insight into what this team thinks of Kelly. 

I hope Kelly has matured and learned a lot last year.

I can't watch Brissett throw those short crossing routes and dump offs any more. Brissett needs to be gone.

I think Jacoby is a great backup but despite playing above average football as a starter in his first 7 games, he stunk it up a lot in the last half of the season. He isn't the answer, hence the Rivers signing. I would part ways with Jacoby and move Kelly in as the backup. I say that because I feel like Jacoby after being the starter can't like the fact we got Rivers. I could be wrong but after giving the keys to the team then forced to go back to second fiddle has to bother him IMO. I am just afraid it could even cause locker room problems keeping Jacoby because there are guys on that team that look at him as a leader. Rivers may be like I am the man, on and on. You guys get my point.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Jacoby is a great backup but despite playing above average football as a starter in his first 7 games, he stunk it up a lot in the last half of the season. He isn't the answer, hence the Rivers signing. I would part ways with Jacoby and move Kelly in as the backup. I say that because I feel like Jacoby after being the starter can't like the fact we got Rivers. I could be wrong but after giving the keys to the team then forced to go back to second fiddle has to bother him IMO. I am just afraid it could even cause locker room problems keeping Jacoby because there are guys on that team that look at him as a leader. Rivers may be like I am the man, on and on. You guys get my point.

They are adults I have a feeling it will work out

As I said earlier I have feeling the brain trust will want someone with NFL starting experience based on the signings and PRs age    
        I would prefer someone who has proven himself as a good backup over an unproven talent since it appears that the a Colts are trying to win this year

If JBs contract was for multiple seasons I would be all for an release or restructure 

This whole discussion might be a moot point if the brain trust are lucky to draft a QB or a vet becomes available after June 1st

Roster decisions were the one thing I always hated about coaching 

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

They are adults I have a feeling it will work out

As I said earlier I have feeling the brain trust will want someone with NFL starting experience based on the signings and PRs age    
        I would prefer someone who has proven himself as a good backup over an unproven talent since it appears that the a Colts are trying to win this year

If JBs contract was for multiple seasons I would be all for an release or restructure 

This whole discussion might be a moot point if the brain trust are lucky to draft a QB or a vet becomes available after June 1st

Roster decisions were the one thing I always hated about coaching 

I would hate getting rid of a guy like Jacoby. He is a leader and a great backup. I am not in that locker room so I may be wrong but this can't be sitting well with Jacoby. JMO

46 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I hope Kelly has matured and learned a lot last year.

I can't watch Brissett throw those short crossing routes and dump offs any more. Brissett needs to be gone.

Well,  unless rivers gets hurt you won't have to.   Kelly isn't playing

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would hate getting rid of a guy like Jacoby. He is a leader and a great backup. I am not in that locker room so I may be wrong but this can't be sitting well with Jacoby. JMO

I understand but the situation Jacoby went through  was different than a regular stater being demoted

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I understand but the situation Jacoby went was different than a regular stater being demoted

I wish I could interview Jacoby. I can usually get a feel from talking to someone how they feel on things. Like I said I may be wrong and maybe he wants to go back to being a backup. Just not sure that is the case though. If I was a starter then got demoted after only 1 year, it would bother me.

Archived