Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chad Kelly better than any Mid round Draft Pick in 2020

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Simple, favor to his uncle. NOTHING else explains the weirdness surrounding the use/non-use of Kelly since the Colts picked him up. 'Nuff said. He'll be gone soon, when the favor is paid off.

Thats not it, pretty ridiculous tbh

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Anthony Gordon did last season at Washington State leading the nation in yards and tds speaks of what he can do, his passes where on target time and again and makes quick reads, Kelly may have more arm strength but Anthony appears to be a far better player. In fact Gordon was an upgrade over Gardner Minshew who is a starting NFL QB ( Perhaps the worst of the 32 but a starter in the league).

12 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Then why has every team passed on him while he was sitting on the practice squad. Im all for giving him a chance in the preseason with the first team vs. first team but until then we do not really have a true idea of what his potential is or isnt

Are 100% sure other teams passed on him?  Or did his agent tell the other teams he will not sign with them because the Colts will match their offer?  But maybe all teams did. 

I am not saying that happened, I' just saying we never ever know everything involved

13 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I would like a UDFA on the practice squad and only keep 2 active QBs and use that spot for someone who can contribute weekly

With the new cba, I believe active rosters are expanded on game day.  If that is the case, you will see more teams carrying three QBs.  It used to be more teams carried three, and it was something odd to the point the media noted it repeatedly that the colts never entertained the idea of having a third QB when Manning was here.... They had always had the third before be was Mr. Ironman....

Ballard doesnt let character concerned players on this team. His lockerroom is the most important thing to him. I mean, it only took him 4 years to sign a big name FA and trade for a big name player, and neither had character concerns... 

Why did he wait? Because the locker room wasnt ready for it. 

And yet.... he signed CK... 

Yeah ballard went against everything he stands for because we absolutely need a third string QB who has character concerns. THIRD STRING!

Open your eyes haters. 

You know who else has character concerns? Eric Ebron, and those character concerns are minuscule compared to CK, and where is Ebron now? 

IMO Kelly will get his chance this upcoming training camp and pre season. 

He may not start a game but Rivers and Brissett are both on one year deals. 

If he makes this years roster he will still be standing at the end of the season. 

It's up to him to take the reins when he has the chance. 

I used to have the opinion he wouldn't ever be a starter for the Colts but yet he is still here. 

From stories of pre-season lore, I get the feeling he is deemed even mightier than the powerful Mike Hart and Caesar Rayford combination!

I don't know, in all honesty.  Never seen him in any meaningful NFL game, yet.  I only hope he is worth holding on to as Rivers ends his career.

18 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Simple, favor to his uncle. NOTHING else explains the weirdness surrounding the use/non-use of Kelly since the Colts picked him up. 'Nuff said. He'll be gone soon, when the favor is paid off.

This went beyond possibly being a favor to Jim Kelly long ago.  The Colts have no reason to be doing favors for Jim Kelly other than Reich, which might have made the Colts willing to put CK on the practice squad at the normal PS salary and letting him hang out there for a year (or until we needed the spot).  Paying him the salary they did plus moving him onto the active roster shows that not only is he not here as a favor, but that they (both Reich and Ballard) also see some potential in him. 

I don’t know what to make of CK. Some believe he’s a waste of time, others think he’s the heir apparent. My guess is he’s somewhere in between. 

I could be wrong on this: since he was on the practice squad, he faced our defense’s 1s and 2s correct? 

Perhaps we’ll see him have a bigger role if and when training camp starts. OR, he’ll continue being like Walker was with being cut and resigned over and over. It would be nice to see how he fares against other teams just to put this whole argument to rest!

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t know what to make of CK. Some believe he’s a waste of time, others think he’s the heir apparent. My guess is he’s somewhere in between. 

I could be wrong on this: since he was on the practice squad, he faced our defense’s 1s and 2s correct? 

Perhaps we’ll see him have a bigger role if and when training camp starts. OR, he’ll continue being like Walker was with being cut and resigned over and over. It would be nice to see how he fares against other teams just to put this whole argument to rest!

It just depends on how FR and his staff ran practice and who the opponent was  

I was say yes with the exception of Anthony Gordon.  I really think he checks the boxes for the Colts.  He starred in the Senior Bowl, is very decisive on this throws, has a very quick release, and is extremely accurate.  I think he would be a great 3/4 round pick for Colts but could go higher. You know how that goes.  Nobody thought Darius Leonard would go as high as he did.

44 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I was say yes with the exception of Anthony Gordon.  I really think he checks the boxes for the Colts.  He starred in the Senior Bowl, is very decisive on this throws, has a very quick release, and is extremely accurate.  I think he would be a great 3/4 round pick for Colts but could go higher. You know how that goes.  Nobody thought Darius Leonard would go as high as he did.

FYI...

The latest version of the PFF draft guide includes several pages of analysis from the Senior Bowl. They assigned grades to all reps, practice drills and the actual game. Of the six quarterbacks participating, Gordon had the lowest overall score and the lowest accuracy percentage. This group includes Shea Patterson and Steven Montez. 

Jordan Love had the highest overall score (by far) and Jalen Hurts had the highest accuracy score. 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I was curious about this.  Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year.  Basically is he better than James Morgan, Anthony Gordon, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts. Not asking if he is the future franchise QB, Just simply are the Colts better rolling with him then drafting a QB later in the draft (3-7 round)

Tell me what your thoughts are

The fact of the matter is we have no idea, and more to the point, Ballard clearly doesn't seem to think so.

2 hours ago, Lucky Wolf said:

FYI...

The latest version of the PFF draft guide includes several pages of analysis from the Senior Bowl. They assigned grades to all reps, practice drills and the actual game. Of the six quarterbacks participating, Gordon had the lowest overall score and the lowest accuracy percentage. This group includes Shea Patterson and Steven Montez. 

Jordan Love had the highest overall score (by far) and Jalen Hurts had the highest accuracy score. 

That’s odd, since Gordon threw 3 TDS in that Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001099037/article/washington-state-qb-anthony-gordon-shines-in-senior-bowl

23 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’ve been very high on what he showed us along with his draft profile. The head is his downfall. He has stayed clear of any issues since arriving to Indy. 

100% agree. 

Skill level was NOT in question as to his draft pick status, it was all his behavior. His childish behaviors were so bad that all his positives were negated. So far at colts headquarters, he has seemingly been a Boy Scout and he flashed plenty in the preseason that we saw. I honestly believe he has a legit shot to take the reigns. Maybe he gets another season under A true NFL professional like Rivers and then he gets his shot.  As another poster said, the draft will provide insight into what this team thinks of Kelly. 

good post 

14 hours ago, Lucky Wolf said:

FYI...

Im not sure how they did the grades..... I’m not paying $$ for a guide

In the actual game, Gordon went 8-12, with no Ints, and 2 TDS 

That was FAR better than most of the other QBs

Hurts did very poorly

I hope we draft Gordon ..... 

But... I can invision someone taking him at the end of round 2

On 3/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, indyagent17 said:

He was the last pick in the draft for two reasons; Questionable character and skill level.

"The most talented quarterback in the draft is probably Chad Kelly, but he has a ton of baggage,"

- Bill Polian

You're half right.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/02/former_bills_gm_bill_polian_says_chad_kelly_is_most_talented_qb_in_2017_nfl_draf.html

On 3/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, indyagent17 said:

He was the last pick in the draft for two reasons; Questionable character and skill level. All we have seen of him is against 3rd string players late in pre season games. The team has let him dangle on the PS for a long time and nobody else wants him so I really do not see why so many of you are so enamored by him.

Basically Duron Carte and Deon Cain all over again. Some people will never learn.

15 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

The fact of the matter is we have no idea, and more to the point, Ballard clearly doesn't seem to think so.

You are right, we don’t have any way of knowing, yet. 

But to say Ballard clearly doesn’t seem to think so doesn’t seem right. Do you mean because he’s actively scouting QBs in the draft? I think that is protocol for him, he’s always grinding away trying to make this team better. He’s clearly stated what his plan is for Chad Kelly and seems to be sticking to that plan. Yes he waived him for a period of time and he could have been snagged up, but most teams just see him as a head case and not worth a roster spot, regardless of talent. You cannot ignore his skill in college and the preseason, and I think that’s why Ballard put him back on roster.

Ballard obviously sees something in the kid, and is also a man of his word. If he promised Jim Kelly that he would help rehabilitate him, then maybe that’s what we’re seeing? I think we see him compete this preseason(if we have one) and hopefully flourish enough to make a team, wether it be the Colts or someone else, as long as he keeps his head straight.

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

But to say Ballard clearly doesn’t seem to think so doesn’t seem right. Do you mean because he’s actively scouting QBs in the draft? I think that is protocol for him, he’s always grinding away trying to make this team better. He’s clearly stated what his plan is for Chad Kelly and seems to be sticking to that plan. Yes he waived him for a period of time and he could have been snagged up, but most teams just see him as a head case and not worth a roster spot, regardless of talent. You cannot ignore his skill in college and the preseason, and I think that’s why Ballard put him back on roster.

Ballard obviously sees something in the kid, and is also a man of his word. If he promised Jim Kelly that he would help rehabilitate him, then maybe that’s what we’re seeing? I think we see him compete this preseason(if we have one) and hopefully flourish enough to make a team, wether it be the Colts or someone else, as long as he keeps his head straight.

Depending on the roster makeup if it is in Indianapolis he will probably not get above #3

24 minutes ago, HOZER said:

But to say Ballard clearly doesn’t seem to think so doesn’t seem right.

Ballard has gone out of his way over the last year plus to not put Chad Kelly in the conversation at quarterback. 

He brought in Hoyer specifically so Kelly wouldn't be the backup.

he extended Brissett even though he didn't technically have to.

He shows every sign of trying to keep Brissett, even with Rivers in the fold.  Which again has the effect of relegating Kelly to third string or practice squad.

Brissett was walking wounded in the last few games of the year and not playing well at all.  Kelly never saw the field.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here to say that there is very limited trust of Kelly by Ballard.

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ballard has gone out of his way over the last year plus to not put Chad Kelly in the conversation at quarterback. 

He shows every sign of trying to keep Brissett, even with Rivers in the fold.  Which again has the effect of relegating Kelly to third string or practice squad.

Brissett was walking wounded in the last few games of the year and not playing well at all.  Kelly never saw the field.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here to say that there is very limited trust of Kelly by Ballard.

All great points, but the fact is that Ballard said in his own words that he’s sticking to a process with Kelly.....

Ballard: "Let me tell you this: he's got some natural playmaking to him. Here's my deal with Chad, because I heard the clamoring, too — my kids. I mean, they love Chad; they love Jacoby, and they love Chad. I mean, Chad had earned trust. I'm not talking about on the field — we had to trust him off the field. I mean, he had screwed up a few times to where, 'We're your last shot here, son. So you're we're gonna have some guidelines here about what you have to do, and you've gotta earn trust.' And first time we cut him, he had this look of, 'You're cutting me?' I'm like, 'Damn right I'm cuttin' you. And you're gonna go to the practice squad and you're gonna continue to work, you're gonna continue to do the things we're asking you to do.' Do I think he has a future in the league? Yes. Does he continue to have to earn trust each and every day? Yes."

46 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Depending on the roster makeup if it is in Indianapolis he will probably not get above #3

Reasonable assumption, guess we’ll see how preseason goes, there’s no real way of knowing right now.

39 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Sticking to the process.

Hoyer was supposed to help prepare Brissett with his amazing preparation and veteran leadership, lol.

At the time he thought Brissett was a good QB.

Not sure about this one, either he has something up his sleeve come draft day or he’s just too loyal? Maybe that’s the issue here with Kelly? Is he being too loyal to him or his uncle?

Brisset was getting paid a lot of money, insisted on playing, Hoyer was getting paid a lot of money, and he’s sticking to his guns with Kelly and the process.

You are right, as stated by Ballard himself in the quote above. He’s sticking to the process.

Sorry for the dual posts was trying to combine, just my opinion/possible explanations for why Ballard has not given him a shot. At the end of the day, if he shines that’s great, always a good thing when a young man can find the error in his ways and become a productive human being. If he flames out, he can’t blame anyone but himself.

Not sure what the future holds for Mr. Kelly.  But according to his contract this season - Kelly will earn a base salary of $750,000, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000.  Do "favors" include paying someone that doesn't have the support of the front office that kind of money?  Ballard is a business man, above all else.

36 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Time to give him a real chance to beat jacoby.  He showed more talent in college and pre season, while playing in tougher conferences

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

College numbers mean nothing

its what we have to go by.  you post as though you would never let ck have a chance no matter what

if hes still here at this point then i think that shows hes earned some trust.  i do think hes more talented than jacoby and his great leadership.  those qualities have not lead to a winning record 

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its what we have to go by.  you post as though you would never let ck have a chance no matter what

if hes still here at this point then i think that shows hes earned some trust.  i do think hes more talented than jacoby and his great leadership.  those qualities have not lead to a winning record 

No I wouldn’t because I deal with impressionable people daily and am a crusader against the behavior CK has shown and at this point roster status means nothing 

For me I will take a good quarterback with high character over someone with all World talent with major character flaws

On 3/27/2020 at 2:13 PM, Superfly said:

I don’t think the Colts will draft a QB this year, with Brissett and Kelly on the roster. 

I don’t know what to think of Kelly moving forward, but he stayed out of trouble. 

If, he has a good camp and preseason, who knows. 

I think there should be an open competition for number 2 QB in camp whoever loses gets the axe.

18 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No I wouldn’t because I deal with impressionable people daily and am a crusader against the behavior CK has shown and at this point roster status means nothing 

For me I will take a good quarterback with high character over someone with all World talent with major character flaws

So you are caught up on a personal bias, the team should play the best guy.  Roster status definitely means something,  he's not here to be some sort of favor to jim kelly

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

So you are caught up on a personal bias, the team should play the best guy.  Roster status definitely means something,  he's not here to be some sort of favor to jim kelly

Never said anything about Jim Kelly

I said that at this point Roster Status is not factor since it has guys like Lafayette Pitts and Matt Lengel who will probably not factor in the final roster

With the announcement the Jacoby being the backup 

So here is my my depth Chart

1. Rivers

2.  Brissett

3/ PS Kelly/DP/UDFA

41 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Never said anything about Jim Kelly

I said that at this point Roster Status is not factor since it has guys like Lafayette Pitts and Matt Lengel who will probably not factor in the final roster

With the announcement the Jacoby being the backup 

So here is my my depth Chart

1. Rivers

2.  Brissett

3/ PS Kelly/DP/UDFA

They should let chad and jb compete for the spot, I never saw an announcement about handing the spot to him

Archived