Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Chad Kelly better than any Mid round Draft Pick in 2020

BleedBlue4Shoe86

Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year?

• Yes
    • No

So I was curious about this.  Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year.  Basically is he better than James Morgan, Anthony Gordon, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts. Not asking if he is the future franchise QB, Just simply are the Colts better rolling with him then drafting a QB later in the draft (3-7 round)

Tell me what your thoughts are

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think he's more talented.  Hurts is probably the only QB with better legs, but Kelly probably has a better arm than any of them.

Although Gordon has exceptional ball-placement, and if that's your primary skill for evaluating QBs, then Gordon would be better than Kelly.

I don’t think the Colts will draft a QB this year, with Brissett and Kelly on the roster. 

I don’t know what to think of Kelly moving forward, but he stayed out of trouble. 

If, he has a good camp and preseason, who knows. 

He was the last pick in the draft for two reasons; Questionable character and skill level. All we have seen of him is against 3rd string players late in pre season games. The team has let him dangle on the PS for a long time and nobody else wants him so I really do not see why so many of you are so enamored by him.

As a prospect, having only college tape to go on, and looking purely at QB traits and stats, it could be argued he's as good as any QB in the 2020 draft.

To paraphrase one of the pro media guys pre draft that year, first round talent, undrafted behavior. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

As a prospect, having only college tape to go on, and looking purely at QB traits and stats, it could be argued he's as good as any QB in the 2020 draft.

To paraphrase one of the pro media guys pre draft that year, first round talent, undrafted behavior. 

Another way to say it: Million dollar arm; ten cent head. The big question is if he's turned his life around? It appears so far, so good. But the jury is still out. 

The Colts wouldn't have protected him by putting him on the active roster if they didn't believe he had genuine talent. I personally thought after signing Rivers, they would jettison JB, keep Kelly and draft a QB. Now, no idea. If they don't draft one, that should speak volumes about their feelings toward Kelly. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I’m still very disappointed that we didn’t get to see Kelly play some in the last couple of games. Would be nice to have a feel about whether he has what is needed in the NFL. Not pleased with Reich’s decision on this. 

I'm pretty sure Reich knows more than we do if Kelley is the guy or not. I like the dude, but he also could just be a fringe back-up QB at BEST. Everybody getting mad at Reich and Ballard for not wanting to start or give Kelley a starting chance kills me. These guys are professional coaches & know what they are doing!

26 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm pretty sure Reich knows more than we do if Kelley is the guy or not. I like the dude, but he also could just be a fringe back-up QB at BEST. Everybody getting mad at Reich and Ballard for not wanting to start or give Kelley a starting chance kills me. These guys are professional coaches & know what they are doing!

Not all the time. Pagano?

29 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Of course they know more than me, but I still think they got too cautious or stubborn for not giving him at least some limit play time because the battle was lost at that point. It would be a free ride, nothing to lose I would say? 

53 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Another way to say it: Million dollar arm; ten cent head. The big question is if he's turned his life around? It appears so far, so good. But the jury is still out. 

The Colts wouldn't have protected him by putting him on the active roster if they didn't believe he had genuine talent. I personally thought after signing Rivers, they would jettison JB, keep Kelly and draft a QB. Now, no idea. If they don't draft one, that should speak volumes about their feelings toward Kelly. 

Yup. Hard to tell on Kelly.

Brissett is a catch 22. Great backup. And you're paying him so much with a ton already guaranteed. Sucks to keep him at the price, sucks to cut him and lose what you paid for..

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

He was the last pick in the draft for two reasons; Questionable character and skill level. All we have seen of him is against 3rd string players late in pre season games. The team has let him dangle on the PS for a long time and nobody else wants him so I really do not see why so many of you are so enamored by him.

Not skill level.   I am not on the  Kelly bandwagon   But the kid does have skills.  Probably as good as anyone not named Burrow or Tua.  Arguably 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I look at the bolded two ways... it could speak volumes about Kelly, or it could mean they just aren't impressed with QBs in this draft aside from who would have been selected prior to the 13th pick.  I don't see Ballard as the type of guy who's going to draft a QB just to say he drafted a QB.  If he and Reich and the scouts, etc. don't see a QB they like in the middle rounds of this year's draft, then we are probably not going to draft a QB if they feel like they can get a player at another position who can contribute to the team.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

This is from an interview on Colts.com: 

Dakich: The fans really wanted Chad Kelly to get a shot. Is Kelly in any type of future plans?

Ballard: "Let me tell you this: he's got some natural playmaking to him. Here's my deal with Chad, because I heard the clamoring, too — my kids. I mean, they love Chad; they love Jacoby, and they love Chad. I mean, Chad had earned trust. I'm not talking about on the field — we had to trust him off the field. I mean, he had screwed up a few times to where, 'We're your last shot here, son. So you're we're gonna have some guidelines here about what you have to do, and you've gotta earn trust.' And first time we cut him, he had this look of, 'You're cutting me?' I'm like, 'Damn right I'm cuttin' you. And you're gonna go to the practice squad and you're gonna continue to work, you're gonna continue to do the things we're asking you to do.' Do I think he has a future in the league? Yes. Does he continue to have to earn trust each and every day? Yes."

I agree with you disagreeing with others who were begging for Kelly to get a starting shot.  And yes, the coaches, GMs, etc. know what they're doing.  TBH, doing it late last year had a couple of major downfalls:  (1) We paid Jacoby starter money on a 2 year deal.  We didn't know much about if he was going to be the starter next year (due in part to his nagging injury, other injuries across the board, uncertainty about all the options in FA/draft).  It would really knock JB back and mess up team chemistry if we benched him/gave up on him and then brought him back as the starter next year.... and (2) I think Ballard and Reich really are serious about getting the trust of Chad Kelly and wanted to see if he'd be able to keep clean given adversity of being on the PS or a 3rd string backup.  They want to see dedication from him.  Bringing him up for a trial run and then demoting him isn't really a 'disciplinarian' thing to do.

4 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

i thought ck was intriguing after the pres season but i was never all in on him or anything

remember our starter had some really bad games last season, especially in NO and the last game in Jville.  the noise for kelly got pretty loud because jb was stinking it up at the end there, he may have been injured though the team swore that wasnt the problem 

Anyone ever think no matter what happened last year Chad was not getting a start to test him. Maybe to see if he would revert back to his old ways or to see if he's grown up. We all did dumb stuff when we where going. That may have been the ultimate test to see how he would act. We have no idea what Ballard is going to do moving forward. Maybe he's saying he's going to keep Jacoby so he can get someone to bite on a trade maybe not. $21,000,000 for a back up qb is crazy. But if we can trade that bingo.

1 minute ago, Bert Johns said:

Anyone ever think no matter what happened last year Chad was not getting a start to test him. 

well that is what happened, they never told the fans it was going to be like that though.  piling on at this point but Jacoby was awful in the final game, if ck cant do better than that he would not normally be on a team.  they made some exceptions for him 

IMO they need to keep Kelly as #3 and not worry about a QB in this draft.    To draft one would be futile.   Nothing to be gained! He will be a 3rd string QB!!!!!! We already have one of those that is better than anyone after the top 2.    

WHY waste a pick on a QB to sit the bench?   We are in win now mode!   Get some starters and playmakers to help Rivers win NOW!!!!

What is the last date before which we can cut Jacoby and get back the most money we want to keep?

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

IMO they need to keep Kelly as #3 and not worry about a QB in this draft.    To draft one would be futile.   Nothing to be gained! He will be a 3rd string QB!!!!!! We already have one of those that is better than anyone after the top 2.    

WHY waste a pick on a QB to sit the bench?   We are in win now mode!   Get some starters and playmakers to help Rivers win NOW!!!!

Yeah, go on a 1 year basis with Rivers, and if it works out with a division title, another 1 year basis and go from there.

5 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I would like a UDFA on the practice squad and only keep 2 active QBs and use that spot for someone who can contribute weekly

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I’m still very disappointed that we didn’t get to see Kelly play some in the last couple of games. Would be nice to have a feel about whether he has what is needed in the NFL. Not pleased with Reich’s decision on this. 

It wasn’t just Reich’s decision.   It was Ballard’s decision too.   This  was all part of the plan for Kelly.   Could he get through a season, even with disappointment of not playing, without causing a headache for the team?   The answer is apparently yes.  

Now we will see how we handle Kelly and the QB position this season.   I will not be surprised if we don’t draft a QB or if we take one in Day 3, like Gordon or Morgan. 

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

OK. you said 2 QB's and one on practice squad.  Name the 2 + 1   I assume the +1 is an UDFA 

Will he have value over CK?

IMO 

Yes since maturity and liability is a deciding factor and in my book CK has little maturity and he burned the liability bridge at the Halloween party in Denver

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It wasn’t just Reich’s decision.   It was Ballard’s decision too.   This  was all part of the plan for Kelly.   Could he get through a season, even with disappointment of not playing, without causing a headache for the team?   The answer is apparently yes.  

Now we will see how we handle Kelly and the QB position this season.   I will not be surprised if we don’t draft a QB or if we take one in Day 3, like Gordon or Morgan. 

Or sign a marquee UDFA

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Valid points. But the fact remains that the Colts wanted him enough to sign him to the active roster. And, 32 teams passed on Brady through 5 rounds.
     As far as the “3rd string” players he was playing against; 

1. He did look good, when he was in there.

2. He was also playing with 3rd stringers, so there’s that.

It really is impossible to know definitively at this point but what many of us saw was potential. I think many of us are hoping he gets another shot. 

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

Not skill level.   I am not on the  Kelly bandwagon   But the kid does have skills.  Probably as good as anyone not named Burrow or Tua.  Arguably 

Then why has every team passed on him while he was sitting on the practice squad. Im all for giving him a chance in the preseason with the first team vs. first team but until then we do not really have a true idea of what his potential is or isnt

6 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Basically is he better than James Morgan, Anthony Gordon, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts.

i think he is better than all of them, and im not sure thats saying much.  i doubt any of them are future starters in the league. 

if you look at what he did in college it holds up to any of them, and jacoby for that matter 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don't think the Colts think that much of Kelly. I bet he never gets a shot at starting. I'm not sure why they keep him on the roster.

Simple, favor to his uncle. NOTHING else explains the weirdness surrounding the use/non-use of Kelly since the Colts picked him up. 'Nuff said. He'll be gone soon, when the favor is paid off.

We will never know how good CK was in 2019 b/c he was never allowed to showcase his skills the last two games of the 2019 NFL season. Knowing the team was out of the playoffs but HC decided to evaluate JB further, since we already know what JB was all about. JB didn't change from college to the Pros. 

8 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I was curious about this.  Is Chad Kelly better than any mid round selection at QB that the Colts could make this year.  Basically is he better than James Morgan, Anthony Gordon, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts. Not asking if he is the future franchise QB, Just simply are the Colts better rolling with him then drafting a QB later in the draft (3-7 round)

I’ve been very high on what he showed us along with his draft profile. The head is his downfall. He has stayed clear of any issues since arriving to Indy. 

7 hours ago, Superfly said:

I don’t think the Colts will draft a QB this year, with Brissett and Kelly on the roster. 

I don’t know what to think of Kelly moving forward, but he stayed out of trouble. 

If, he has a good camp and preseason, who knows. 

100% agree. 

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Skill level was NOT in question as to his draft pick status, it was all his behavior. His childish behaviors were so bad that all his positives were negated. So far at colts headquarters, he has seemingly been a Boy Scout and he flashed plenty in the preseason that we saw. I honestly believe he has a legit shot to take the reigns. Maybe he gets another season under A true NFL professional like Rivers and then he gets his shot.  As another poster said, the draft will provide insight into what this team thinks of Kelly. 

Archived