Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Goodell says draft will go on as scheduled...

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The smart GM and teams will figure this out. The dumb ones will have issues.  Apparently  Ballard was one that did not want it delayed.

You just put everyone from owner, GM, scouts on a conference call. They may not physical be in the same room but it will still mimick the war room. Maybe Coach and GM  are together in the same room.

“Apparently Ballard was one who did not want it delayed.”

Not to say you’re wrong, but, how do we know this?   How do we know Ballard opposed delaying?  Was there a link or post I missed that confirmed this?    Just asking..  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Apparently Ballard was one who did not want it delayed.”

Not to say you’re wrong, but, how do we know this?   How do we know Ballard opposed delaying?  Was there a link or post I missed that confirmed this?    Just asking..  

On Tony Pauline’s Pauline’s podcast he mentioned GM’s like Ballard who had scouting backgrounds did not see a need for it to be delayed. It was the GM that didn’t have scouting backgrounds that wanted it pushed back.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

On Tony Pauline’s Pauline’s podcast he mentioned GM’s like Ballard who had scouting backgrounds did not see a need for it to be delayed. It was the GM that didn’t have scouting backgrounds that wanted it pushed back.

Makes sense. 

This is amazing.  John Lynch talking about how they are adapting and going about preparing for the draft. These young GM are going to adapt. I think it’s the ones that are old who are going to have a issue.   He is basically saying we all have to adjust and we still have jobs to do.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:08 AM, Archer said:

Good, I really can’t think of any real reasons to delay it.  It’s not like delaying it to June would make it suddenly safe To make it an in-person event for teams, players, and spectators.  It’s gonna have to be a telecast event any way you slice it, so why not go on time.

So, teams are going to have to make draft and FA decisions with less info this year.  No biggie - they’re all in the same boat, so it’s fair as always...

Hey,  I'm sorry Archer,  I've been meaning to respond to your post, but life has been crazy the last few days...     You make an interesting point that I'd like to address.    And much of what I'm about to write I'm paraphrasing from an NFL.com article from earlier in the week,  so it's not just me saying what I'm about to say,  it's NFL people too...

The reason to delay the draft?   Optics,  how it will look to millions.

As I'm sure you know,  the worst of the Virus is expected to hit in Mid-April.  NFL execs are worried that the worst death toll numbers will be the headlines on every newscast,  on every newspaper around the country during that time.    How does it look if in 30 NFL cities,  the news anchors are talking about the days top story --- record numbers of Carona deaths,  and suddenly one says....    "Now here's Bob to tell us about team's newest draft choice!"

The optics would be horrible.   That's why many withing the NFL wanted this moved at least into May and hopefully out of the window of the worst virus news.    The twin headlines would be the worst.    But Goodell has ruled and I'm sure you noticed that he asked NFL Execs to stop talking about it in the press.    You don't often hear/read that from Goodell.   I hope Goodell is not making a terrible mistake.    We'll soon find out.   I know people are starving for some fun and good news,  but the timing couldn't be worse, and that's the reason to move it,  even if only two 2-3 weeks.    But that's not happening....

Again,  sorry for the delay in getting back to you....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,  I'm sorry Archer,  I've been meaning to respond to your post, but life has been crazy the last few days...     You make an interesting point that I'd like to address.    And much of what I'm about to write I'm paraphrasing from an NFL.com article from earlier in the week,  so it's not just me saying what I'm about to say,  it's NFL people too...

The reason to delay the draft?   Optics,  how it will look to millions.

As I'm sure you know,  the worst of the Virus is expected to hit in Mid-April.  NFL execs are worried that the worst death toll numbers will be the headlines on every newscast,  on every newspaper around the country during that time.    How does it look if in 30 NFL cities,  the news anchors are talking about the days top story --- record numbers of Carona deaths,  and suddenly one says....    "Now here's Bob to tell us about team's newest draft choice!"

The optics would be horrible.   That's why many withing the NFL wanted this moved at least into May and hopefully out of the window of the worst virus news.    The twin headlines would be the worst.    But Goodell has ruled and I'm sure you noticed that he asked NFL Execs to stop talking about it in the press.    You don't often hear/read that from Goodell.   I hope Goodell is not making a terrible mistake.    We'll soon find out.   I know people are starving for some fun and good news,  but the timing couldn't be worse, and that's the reason to move it,  even if only two 2-3 weeks.    But that's not happening....

Again,  sorry for the delay in getting back to you....

I disagree 100% (respectfully).  The NFL forged on after 9-11, and I think it says something about the American spirit.  It says that we won’t let this break our morale.  We need a morale boost more than we need the optics.  I feel the news will continue to treat the virus with the gravitas it deserves, and for one weekend NFL fans can distract themselves with the draft and their teams’ prospects.  It’s perfect timing IMO.

• Like 2

From what I understand the NFL is going to use the draft telecast somehow to raise money for the virus.  Optics nah. People want something to watch. We can’t go anywhere and your mind will go crazy if you have the news on all the time. We need a distraction. The nfl realizes that too. I have been very anxious lately and need to lay off news because it’s not good for my health. I am scared for the economy and every loosing their business. So we need this draft as a distraction. 

• Like 1

Here is some things that the nfl will be doing for the draft. No more then ten people per room. Must be six feet apart. Seems like there might be chance they open up their facilities for the draft.  Also not mentioned here they may allow each team a one time exception of adding a couple minutes to the clock if a trade is in the works. This should help with the most important people in the same room. Having the GM, coach, and some assistants will make this easier.

More info. They just need to let them into their facilities and use multiple rooms. Saints can’t get into their facility but they are set up in a warehouse with TVs. That makes no sense.