Indianapolis Colts
NewColtsFan

Goodell says draft will go on as scheduled...

There will be no delay.   The draft goes on as scheduled April 23-25. 

Says the competition took a vote and the result was unanimous....   the show must go on...

Late April may be the worst of the virus.   Could be a bad look for the league.    Hoping for the best for everyone concerned... 

EDIT:  And here's your story link....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107720/article/2020-nfl-draft-will-go-on-as-scheduled-april-2325

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There will be no delay.   The draft goes on as scheduled April 23-25. 

Says the competition took a vote and the result was unanimous....   the show must go on...

Late April may be the worst of the virus.   Could be a bad look for the league.    Hoping for the best for everyone concerned... 

EDIT:  And here's your story link....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107720/article/2020-nfl-draft-will-go-on-as-scheduled-april-2325

They’re talking about doing it all via video Over the web. They’ve already said it’d be closed to fans and to teams.

• Like 4

Goodell has gained a lot of fans through this trying time. I love how he said fans need this to uplift spirits.  It also says facilities might be reopened by the league by then. 

• Like 1

They fact they might have to be at a outside location with limited people will make this interesting. Everyone from scouts,  owner and GM will be on a big conference call. 

Does anyone think this might affect any trades during the draft.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

They’re talking about doing it all via video Over the web. They’ve already said it’d be closed to fans and to teams.

It is still be televised though is what I hear. Unless this means they changed that too if so they should just postpone it.

With everyone being locked down this is going to have some huge numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This would be hillarious.

I’m sure NFL GM’s wives won’t mind the crayon-drawn “board” of prospects names written all over their living room walls! :td:

• Haha 3

It is going to be an interesting technical challenge.  I'd imagine each team would want an internal group communication plus there would be team to NFL communication (potentially televised) to communicate picks.  Then things start to get a little crazy when you get inter team communications to negotiate trades.  I wouldn't be surprised if the time allocated to each pick is increased. 

One of the challenges for each team might be to make sure that they are using the right channel for each purpose, you wouldn't want your internal discussions being televised a couple of picks before you went on the clock as somebody might try and trade up to get ahead of you if that is the top guy on their board.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

It is still be televised though is what I hear. Unless this means they changed that too if so they should just postpone it.

It’s not gonna be your normal telecast. Everything is gonna resemble a Skype Video conference most likely

• Like 2

Good, I really can’t think of any real reasons to delay it.  It’s not like delaying it to June would make it suddenly safe To make it an in-person event for teams, players, and spectators.  It’s gonna have to be a telecast event any way you slice it, so why not go on time.

So, teams are going to have to make draft and FA decisions with less info this year.  No biggie - they’re all in the same boat, so it’s fair as always...

I believe it is for the best as delaying would cause another set of problems.

2 hours ago, IkeAramba said:

It is going to be an interesting technical challenge. 

I not sure how they (Teams) handle it, but I would like have every designated draft team member (8 of them plus the GM) that are not ill quarantine in home 9 days prior to the draft.  Have already secured/rented a cleaned and private non NFL Team space with phones, TV's, etc... and ability to hold/recreate the team draft boards in the space. Two days prior and on draft eve, the GM (with maybe Dir. Player personnel, and/or Dir. College Scouting) gets checked out and cleared by M.D. or RN and then re-creates draft boards inside the rented facility. Lock it down and have 24/7 security guard it with video surveillance. The morning of the draft, the rest of the draft team is checked by MD or RN and cleared to enter draft room.  Have food/drinks delivered and other details addressed. draft the best youngsters for the team!

I don't know what teams will actually do, though. :dunno:

I'd imagine each team would want an internal group communication plus there would be team to NFL communication (potentially televised) to communicate picks.  Then things start to get a little crazy when you get inter team communications to negotiate trades.  I wouldn't be surprised if the time allocated to each pick is increased. 

GM's have each others cell, trades are likely to be GM to GM calls. If busy, player personnel director is next in line to reach out to to relay info to the GM. Remember, many of those potential trades are already agreed to in principle, but subject to contingencies and how player selections plays out. Not sure they change the allotted time.

One of the challenges for each team might be to make sure that they are using the right channel for each purpose, you wouldn't want your internal discussions being televised a couple of picks before you went on the clock as somebody might try and trade up to get ahead of you if that is the top guy on their board.

I doubt any team audio or video gets on live TV.  No team wants any view of their draft boards shown.  I could see other teams FO staff freeze framing those on their DVR and sending video captures to their GM.

• Like 1

The smart GM and teams will figure this out. The dumb ones will have issues.  Apparently  Ballard was one that did not want it delayed.

You just put everyone from owner, GM, scouts on a conference call. They may not physical be in the same room but it will still mimick the war room. Maybe Coach and GM  are together in the same room.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The smart GM and teams will figure this out. The dumb ones will have issues.  Apparently  Ballard was one that did not want it delayed.

Quote from the NFL-

"Our staff is certainly mindful of the operational issues this presents, and our top priority is putting in place procedures that allow all clubs to operate on a level playing field so that the draft is conducted in a way that is competitively fair to all clubs. "

Competitive is what the draft is for, the NFL will try to make the draft process competitively balanced as well.

"All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning to conduct draft operations in a location outside of your facility, with a limited number of people present, and with sufficient technology resources to allow you to communicate internally, with other clubs, and with draft headquarters."

Thus my suggestion above, subject to meeting NFL procedures and meeting team logistics.

You just put everyone from owner, GM, scouts on a conference call. They may not physical be in the same room but it will still mimick the war room. Maybe Coach and GM  are together in the same room.

They have to have a minimal few, at least, to recreate somewhere and operate their draft boards.  Might be to hard to do on a Zoom/Skype call.

If they have to be remote...I wonder if they increase the selection time to account for technical difficulties.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If they have to be remote...I wonder if they increase the selection time to account for technical difficulties.

So far, I don't think so. and teams better not criticize either:

https://www.insider.com/nfl-draft-going-as-planned-teams-cant-criticize-2020-3

"The CEC was also clear, and I share the Committee's view, that public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Quote from the NFL-

"Our staff is certainly mindful of the operational issues this presents, and our top priority is putting in place procedures that allow all clubs to operate on a level playing field so that the draft is conducted in a way that is competitively fair to all clubs. "

Competitive is what the draft is for, the NFL will try to make the draft process competitively balanced as well.

"All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning to conduct draft operations in a location outside of your facility, with a limited number of people present, and with sufficient technology resources to allow you to communicate internally, with other clubs, and with draft headquarters."

Thus my suggestion above, subject to meeting NFL procedures and meeting team logistics.

They have to have a minimal few, at least, to recreate somewhere and operate their draft boards.  Might be to hard to do on a Zoom/Skype call.

Haha...I can see it now. 

Ballard: Ok folks...let's do this. Has everyone joined?

Reich: Looks like we are still missing a couple folks.

Ballard (a bit irritated): Ok...we will give them a couple more minutes.

Ballard: Alright...looks like everyone is here. Can everyone see my screen?

Everyone: No.

Ballard: Let me try again. There.

Everyone: Yes.

Ballard: I just wanted to say a few things we get started....Look...I am hearing a lot of background noise...please make sure you are on mute...I need to say something. 

(A couple minutes later) Ballard: ...and I just want you all to know that this is the best front office in the NFL and I wouldn't...Look folks...I am STILL hearing some background noise...please mute your computer. 

(A little while later...Colts are on the clock and it's running out)

Ballard: Ok folks...so we are in agreement...we are taking Player A here unless I hear differently. Frank...final thoughts?

Reich: Sorry Chris...I just can't get on board with this (insert two-minute well-reasoned explanation)

Ballard (after a minute): Frank? Frank? We can't hear you.

Frank (a minute later): Sorry...I was on mute. What I was saying was...

(Clock runs out)

(Fast forward to the end)

Some random scout: Uh guys...did you know this is recording?

Other random scout: And who is the number with the HOU area code?

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Thank goodness, for camera zoom that helps with social distancing. :) 

For analyst analysis, like GoToMeeting or Zoom, focus on the speaker, with the video director saying "cut to Mel Kiper" or use a moderator. 

There are ways to do it.

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...I can see it now. 

Ballard: Ok folks...let's do this. Has everyone joined?

Reich: Looks like we are still missing a couple folks.

Ballard (a bit irritated): Ok...we will give them a couple more minutes.

Ballard: Alright...looks like everyone is here. Can everyone see my screen?

Everyone: No.

Ballard: Let me try again. There.

Everyone: Yes.

Ballard: I just wanted to say a few things we get started....Look...I am hearing a lot of background noise...please make sure you are on mute...I need to say something. 

(A couple minutes later) Ballard: ...and I just want you all to know that this is the best front office in the NFL and I wouldn't...Look folks...I am STILL hearing some background noise...please mute your computer. 

(A little while later...Colts are on the clock and it's running out)

Ballard: Ok folks...so we are in agreement...we are taking Player A here unless I hear differently. Frank...final thoughts?

Reich: Sorry Chris...I just can't get on board with this (insert two-minute well-reasoned explanation)

Ballard (after a minute): Frank? Frank? We can't hear you.

Frank (a minute later): Sorry...I was on mute. What I was saying was...

(Clock runs out)

(Fast forward to the end)

Some random scout: Uh guys...did you know this is recording?

Other random scout: And who is the number with the HOU area code?

Or, it could be something like:

Ballard: Hey, Texans want to talk a trade

BOB: How about trading down from No.34?

Irsay (thinking he is on mute): What do you think, guys? Is he dumb enough for us to ask for DeShaun Watson for pick No.34? (Then the other line goes silent...)

Ballard: Bob, bob, bob...are you there? Oh well, there goes the trade. 

:) 

• Haha 2

This could take on a real dark turn. In some areas of the US the projected peak is about the time of the draft. There could be massive number of people dying while they are conducting the draft. Imagine they draft a player and he's having a mother or relative fighting for her/his life at the same time or worse... 

I won't pretend like this is a decision with an easy answer, but yeah...  :(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

I’m sure NFL GM’s wives won’t mind the crayon-drawn “board” of prospects names written all over their living room walls! :td:

Ballard trying to convince his wife that Pepe Silvia is a great fit for the Colts:

source.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

This could take on a real dark turn. In some areas of the US the projected peak is about the time of the draft. There could be massive number of people dying while they are conducting the draft. Imagine they draft a player and he's having a mother or relative fighting for her/his life at the same time or worse... 

I won't pretend like this is a decision with an easy answer, but yeah... 

I bet that is a certainty at some point in the draft.  

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

I won't pretend like this is a decision with an easy answer, but yeah...  :(

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I bet that is a certainty at some point in the draft.  

I think they realize that possibility, but want to be an alternative to distract those, if even for a short period, from the brutal reality going on. Bring any amount of joy, no matter how much or little.

Draft can easily be done via technology these days.  Only reason they where having a location for the draft was because it was a media event.  

The biggest thing that sucks honestly is that the players not only can't walk across the stage but can't have big parties of all their friends and family.   The players will probably just be sitting down with their mom & dad, brothers & sisters, and maybe a girlfriend and any children they might have.

• Like 1

Why worry about what might happen. No one can predict what is going to be happening in a month.  No matter what scientist or experts say we don’t have a crystal ball. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

• Haha 1

NFL teams can still have a war room by simply having a big enough room to practice social distancing.  If it safe enough to do it in Task Force pressers I can't see why they can't do something similar in the war room.

Simply make selections via email.  CC NFL office on trade affirmation.  

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why worry about what might happen. No one can predict what is going to be happening in a month.  No matter what scientist or experts say we don’t have a crystal ball. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

“No one can predict”?

Experts can predict. 

And they do it in this case by seeing what happened in the Southern Hemisphere.   Their seasons are backward from ours.   Their summer is our winter.   So experts are predicting that April and May are going to be bad, the worst two months.   The draft is right in the middle of it.    So, the worst is coming.   Prepare for it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

NFL teams can still have a war room by simply having a big enough room to practice social distancing.  If it safe enough to do it in Task Force pressers I can't see why they can't do something similar in the war room.

From what I understand they are going to try and have cut ins to the teams and we will see each team make their pick on TV.

John Elway better check his fax machine :) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

:funny:

"Honey!  Get off the phone!  I'm trying to make my draft pick!"  ...  *(dial-up modem noises)*

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

They will, rent a clean office, probably like i mentioned above. Participants and times are documented by owning facility, can be surrendered to the NFL for review.

Mark Dominik, ex GM, says he could do it with a staff of 6, including himself (GM) HC, Dir Player personnel (landline to NFL to make pick), someone to work draft board, one to work trade telephone, and a tech/IT guy for issues that may arise. Skype or Zoom the scouts in.

Landline is still preferred, I believe.

From what I understand they are going to try and have cut ins to the teams and we will see each team make their pick on TV.

Ruh Roh... 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Ruh Roh2

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

:funny:

"Honey!  Get off the phone!  I'm trying to make my draft pick!"  ...  *(dial-up modem noises)*

lmao

The Broncos are on the clock, but well less than a minute left. Wait, we cut to

their war room. They're ready to pick. Let's listen in...

• Haha 1

NFL May open up facilities by the end of April also. We just have to see what happens. If a couple teams can’t go to headquarters because of state orders they will probably keep all facilities closed so it is a level playing field. 

They’ve still had ability to prepare for the draft. They just haven’t been able to do it in the official Colts facility.  I would think Ballard and company will be just as prepared. Just a weirder way getting there. 

1 minute ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

They’ve still had ability to prepare for the draft. They just haven’t been able to do it in the official Colts facility.  I would think Ballard and company will be just as prepared. Just a weirder way getting there. 

Agreed. They are prepared. EX GM's on NFL radio mention it often. But those same ex GM's on NFL radio has said those players that had medical issues before/at the combine that can't get a medical recheck (that teams trust), small school and/or later round guys with no prior medical reports at all, and red flag character guys will be most affected (which likely means slide down the board from where their grade only would place them) . For all other players, the hay is in the barn and draft boards fairly well organized.

I'll have to check in with Chris Landry football and see what's up later.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

NFL May open up facilities by the end of April also. We just have to see what happens. If a couple teams can’t go to headquarters because of state orders they will probably keep all facilities closed so it is a level playing field. 

Maybe, he said limited, ONLY if conditions warrant (changed circumstances, to the good).  How things look in NY, LA, Detroit, Chicago, etc in 3-4 weeks will determine if they do it.  Because it has to be for all teams, or none. To prepare those teams his memo (leaked) says-

“All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning to conduct Draft operations in a location outside of your facility, with a limited number of people present and with sufficient technology resources to allow you to communicate internally, with other clubs and with Draft headquarters,” Goodell’s memo reads. “Needless to say, we will be prepared to adjust to changed circumstance in the next several weeks, including the prospect of clubs being able to resume even limited operations within their facilities.”

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe, he said limited, ONLY if conditions warrant (changed circumstances, to the good).  How things look in NY, LA, Detroit, Chicago, etc in 3-4 weeks will determine if they do it.  Because it has to be for all teams, or none. To prepare those teams his memo (leaked) says-

“All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning to conduct Draft operations in a location outside of your facility, with a limited number of people present and with sufficient technology resources to allow you to communicate internally, with other clubs and with Draft headquarters,” Goodell’s memo reads. “Needless to say, we will be prepared to adjust to changed circumstance in the next several weeks, including the prospect of clubs being able to resume even limited operations within their facilities.”

Yep that’s why I said if a couple teams can’t they will say all teams can’t. Level playing field. To tell you the truth I think if clubs in those states have stay home orders I could still see them going to their headquarters. I doubt anyone will stop them in those states. I think this is all going to be up to what the nfl decides.  If a few teams can’t go then everyone will be prohibited.  They are supposed to re access April 8th. The govt is supposed to issue guidelines and ranking counties on risk factors. 

I will just stick this here. Some snippets on how the off-season could work with no OTA. Virtual class rooms.  The other day I saw Campbell on Instagram using bar stools as weights. Has me laughing. He needs to order some weights online. You don’t realize how many don’t have workout equipment in their homes. Depending on how long they cant open the facilities conditioning could be a pretty big issue when they get to camp in July.