Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Tee Higgins be Mike Williams for Rivers

14 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Do these look like Mike Williams highlights because the podcast says so or because you actually know who Mike Williams is and have compared the 2 players? 

What is up with people being so frickn rude. Move on if you don’t have something of value to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Do these look like Mike Williams highlights because the podcast says so or because you actually know who Mike Williams is and have compared the 2 players? 

That's a little unnecessary don't you think? Is he a Mike William's clone? No, but he is a big target with great hands that knows how to go up and get contested passes. I for one would be very happy if Higgins fell to us in the 2nd and believe Phillip Rivers would as well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is up with people being so frickn rude. Move on if you don’t have something of value to say.

I was just curious if you had actually compared them or was just regurgitating what someone else said. Don’t start a thread if you don’t want people to respond to it, positive or negative.

I don’t see Mike Williams from what I have seen of Higgins (and I’m a big Williams fan but haven’t watch Higgins near enough), unless you’re just talking about athletic profile and 50/50 balls, in which case he is a clone of all kinds of NFL receivers.

I’m no expert by any means, but I see more of a Devonte Parker or Tyler Boyd (not height/weight), if I had to make a comp. And adding value, please, all you do is post what other people say or tweet. They are just trying to make this connection because Williams plays for the Chargers and the Colts signed Rivers, IMO. Keenan Allen was obviously Rivers favorite receiver, and in IMO, would be a better comp for Higgins than Williams.

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

That's a little unnecessary don't you think? Is he a Mike William's clone? No, but he is a big target with great hands that knows how to go up and get contested passes. I for one would be very happy if Higgins fell to us in the 2nd and believe Phillip Rivers would as well.

Obviously I didn’t  think it was too mean or out of line, or I wouldn’t of posted it. Hell, I rarely post on here period. But if I start a thread saying that Higgins is a Williams clone, I’d make sure I had actually watched both players and made that comp on my own, not just use a tweet or what someone said on a podcast for validation. From the OP’s post history on here, I’m not sure she has, which is why I asked. You know how many receivers in the NFL are 6’4” and can go up and make contested catches?

I agree Rivers would like throwing to Higgins, but it has nothing to do with Mike Williams! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never said he was a Williams clone. I said he could do for rivers what Williams did. By that I meant go up at get the ball.  Yes you were rude. 

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Better chance on Claypool being there. I honestly think Claypool is the better of the two, Higgins just is hyped up more for playing at Clemson.

Claypool is faster that’s for sure. I haven’t watched much on him yet.

• Like 1

Why would CB choose a WR based on his fit with a (likely) bridge QB ?

Give me a guy who can win quickly at the LOS and/or create pronounced separation at the top of his routes. I don't care if he's 5-9 or 6-5.

• Like 1

I like the fit with Tee Higgins and Colts/Rivers. We know Rivers is going to take shots down the field is Higgins is one of the best contested catch players in this year's draft. He is excellent in the redzone as well. I would have no problem taking him with one of the 2nd round picks. There is nobody on this roster that is good in contested catch situations.

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

Why would CB choose a WR based on his fit with a (likely) bridge QB ?

Give me a guy who can win quickly at the LOS and/or create pronounced separation at the top of his routes. I don't care if he's 5-9 or 6-5.

We also are lacking a taller redzone target, something any QB needs...

I am all in on Higgins at 34. I think it is very possible he slides to there because of how loaded this draft is at WR where as i think it is very possible he's the the first WR taken off the board last year. He has the size, the body control, the hands, the speed. He would go along perfectly with this team.

Higgens is big, but he had major difficulty separating from Jeff Akudah from Ohio State.....

The ACC DBs vs what he will see in NFL is hugely different

I would rather have Mims or Claypool.... Than Higgens 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Higgens is big, but he had major difficulty separating from Jeff Akudah from Ohio State.....

The ACC DBs vs what he will see in NFL is hugely different

I would rather have Mims or Claypool.... Than Higgens 

I think his specialty would be 50/50 balls not getting seperation. But I like Mims or Claypool too. 

He can't get separation, and his route running is not something to wow about either. Thats his sole highlight, catching 50/50 contested catches. If it comes down to Higgins or Mims at 34 I prefer Mims. 

Look at that catch at the 0:20 timestamp that Mims made; it was absolutely incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m starting to get wary of guys who had super limited route trees in college. And the lack of separation worries me too, along with the fact that he played a lot of lesser competition.

I could almost see a Hakeem Butler situation with him.

Didn’t Dk Metcalf have the same knock on him. He seemed to do pretty well. When your that big and strong your specialty is the 50/50 balls.

2 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

A rookie isn't going to do Rivers much good.

Look how good the rookie class did this pass season. Almost everyone that went in those first two rounds had fantastic years . I used to think the same thing until I saw what the rookies did last year.

Catching a bunch of deep, 50/50 balls in an offense with Trevor Lawrence slinging it doesn’t impress me. His lack of route running and simply beating lesser opponents because he has better athleticism doesn’t bode well so I’d be avoiding him in the draft. I don’t subscribe to the ‘rookie receivers have a hard time contributing in their first year camp’ though. They contribute every year, and while some take a year or two to make an impact, it is hardly an exception to the rule when they do. Mims is my guy at that pick if he’s there. 

I agree he's that type of player and I agree Rivers can benefit a ton from a receiver of that type. The good thing is - there are several receivers in the range of our day 2 picks that fit that mold: Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims, Laviska Shenault, Michael Pittman... I wasn't a fan of some of those for us in the 1st round but I'd be happy any of them in the second.

BTW here's Greg Cosell' s scouting reports on Higgins and Pittman:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Mims is still my guy here if we go WR at 34. Otherwise Tyler Johnson, Pittman, and Donovan PJ are guys I like later.

I've definitely thought of a WR draft combo of MPJ and DPJ, lol. Though I think I'd prefer to take a CB, TE, or OT in Rd 2 instead of 2 WR... but still, would be fun.

12 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Mims is still my guy here if we go WR at 34. Otherwise Tyler Johnson, Pittman, and Donovan PJ are guys I like later.

To me DPJ is Daurice Fountain. A guy with amazing workout numbers but still basically a raw receiver. He’s a developmental guy (which we already have) who you hope can become a WR2/WR3 and not someone who can contribute right away.