Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's approach this offseason

DownHillRunner

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Off the top of my head there were more than 10 WRs taken the first two rounds.   Without even looking I can assure you that not all of them had really good years. 

Parris Campbell for one.    I’ll try to dig up a few more. 

I believe Sutton was two years ago.  And McLaren was the third round. 

I  don’t count Campbell because of injuries.

All I am saying is a lot of rookie WR had big yesrs last year. I used to think it took a few years but if one goes in the right system they can do really well and make a impact.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I  don’t count Campbell because of injuries.

All I am saying is a lot of rookie WR had big yesrs last year. I used to think it took a few years but if one goes in the right system they can do really well and make a impact.

Andy Isabella of the Cardinals is the other...  9 catches all season.   The rest seemed to be pretty good.  

And don’t get me wrong, I like Campbell.  Glad we drafted him.  Think he’ll have a good year two for the Colts. 

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Maybe his additions will give the locker room that “friction” he felt was needed and ready for now. 

In you have that solid foundation I think it’s good to bring players in from the outside. Players get to comfy and adding someone from the outside and shake things up. I think Rivers is going to really help with his fiery attitude. Buckner said he might make people mad with his work ethic so I think he will show them slot too. I feel last year the guys got a little to loose. To much fun. They need to find a better balance.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Andy Isabella of the Cardinals is the other...  9 catches all season.   The rest seemed to be pretty good.  

And don’t get me wrong, I like Campbell.  Glad we drafted him.  Think he’ll have a good year two for the Colts. 

Also Harry didn’t have a big impact. The guy on the eagles didnt produce much either There were a lot of success though. Having Rivers I think increases the chances of a rookie having good success.

Not sure where to put this, bit pretty good write up on Rivers in this article. Gave us a B+ for signing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28950212/best-signings-2020-nfl-free-agency-barnwell-nine-top-grades-brady-brees-rivers

Couple quotes that stuck out to me:

"I'm optimistic that we'll see a better Rivers in 2020 than we did in 2019, in part because he is going from one of the league's worst offensive lines to what might arguably be one of its best. The Chargers ranked 19th in ESPN's pass block win rate metric last season, and even that was likely a product of Rivers' ability to read defenses and put his linemen in the right place. Anthony Lynn's offense was overcome by injuries up front, with veterans Russell Okung and Mike Pouncey missing a combined 21 games and never playing a snap together during the season. The Chargers had what was likely the worst tackle situation in football with Sam Tevi and Trent Scott in key roles. The Colts ranked third in pass block win rate and did a solid job of protecting Jacoby Brissett, whose sack rate in his second run as Colts starter was nearly half of what it was the first time around."

"Rivers' interception rate spiked last season, but as I mentioned in my column about possible Brady replacements, a league-high seven of his 20 picks came in the final five minutes of games while his team was trailing. Those are moments when he typically had to try to put the ball into tight windows to try to make something happen. The previous season, playing on a Chargers team that often had leads in the final five minutes, Rivers threw just one pick in the final five minutes of games."

There is a lot more in the write up.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

In you have that solid foundation I think it’s good to bring players in from the outside. Players get to comfy and adding someone from the outside and shake things up. I think Rivers is going to really help with his fiery attitude. Buckner said he might make people mad with his work ethic so I think he will show them slot too. I feel last year the guys got a little to loose. To much fun. They need to find a better balance.

Proofread your posts.

Every single post of yours seems to have at least one typo, and I usually don't care, but this post had at least SIX that I bolded for you.  It's not a big deal unless it makes a statement unintelligible.  What does "show them slot" mean?  :scratch:

Please, please, please do us all a favor and proofread your posts.  :beg:

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Well, I should have added, "Unless it's Bill O'Brien". 

Coffee....my comment was in addition to your thoughts...it wasn't aimed at you. Your thoughts, complaints, or criticism never come across as arrogant. 

What's the offensive splash we were supposed to make? Who's the "Andrew Norwell" (anyone ready to admit they were stupid on that one?) we missed out on? It's a terrible offensive FA class, particularly for our needs...Want Austin Hooper or Amari Cooper at those prices?(and i'd like to remind everyone they don't just come here because we offer them the same)  I just don't get what he was supposed to do, or do we just complain without having a follow up thought?

Best thing i can think of is either keep Haeg or sign someone similar for depth, I guess we could have gone after Robby Anderson, but I don't think either of those moves the needle at all

17 minutes ago, jlid said:

What's the offensive splash we were supposed to make? Who's the "Andrew Norwell" (anyone ready to admit they were stupid on that one?) we missed out on? It's a terrible offensive FA class, particularly for our needs...Want Austin Hooper or Amari Cooper at those prices?(and i'd like to remind everyone they don't just come here because we offer them the same)  I just don't get what he was supposed to do, or do we just complain without having a follow up thought?

Best thing i can think of is either keep Haeg or sign someone similar for depth, I guess we could have gone after Robby Anderson, but I don't think either of those moves the needle at all

Man, we were so desperate for OL help, I was all about Norwell.  Glad cooler heads prevailed, there!

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why Isabella didn't get any run last year...especially when guys like Damiere Byrd were starting.

Must have been something in practice...or with the playbook. AZ had a short passing game last season...and you would think someone like Isabella would have thrived in that setup right away. 

AZ drafted THREE WRs last year...Isabella (2nd round), Colts fans' crush Hakeem Butler (4th round) and KeeSean Johnson (6th round)...and Johnson had the most production (though Butler did get hurt). So you just never know with rookie WRs.

On that note...AZ seems to have really stockpiled WR over the past couple of seasons...especially after adding arguably the best WR in the NFL this offseason. I assume he is Larry's replacement...but they still have a lot of depth.

Makes me wonder if Isabella or Kirk could be available at some point. I love both of their games.

33 minutes ago, jlid said:

It's still early so there is still a lot that could happen.  No one saw the Buckner trade coming.  Ballard could be working the phones or expecting more players to be released.  Probably both.  

30 minutes ago, jlid said:

The only offensive FAs I wanted (outside of QB) were Henry and possibly Drake. Neither made it to FA...and I wouldn't expect Ballard to sign a RB anyways. 

I agree...it was a weak group overall for the offense. Hooper wouldn't have been a bad signing...but I can understand passing at that cost. I didn't want Cooper.

IF the Colts want an impact player for the offense...it would likely have to be via trade (there are a couple I would love to see...but you never know if they are even available).

As for Norwell...I don't think wanting Norwell was stupid...even in hindsight. He was a 27 year-old All-Pro G entering FA...every team that has a need at G should be all over that...and the Colts were. It wouldn't have been a stupid move...the same way that giving Buckner that huge contract isn't a stupid move if it doesn't work out.

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

As for Norwell...I don't think wanting Norwell was stupid...even in hindsight. He was a 27 year-old All-Pro G entering FA...every team that has a need at G should be all over that...and the Colts were. It wouldn't have been a stupid move...the same way that giving Buckner that huge contract isn't a stupid move if it doesn't work out.

I should rephrase...wanting him wasn't stupid, everyone being up in arms for us not outbidding 16 million a year for an OG was stupid

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The only offensive FAs I wanted (outside of QB) were Henry and possibly Drake. Neither made it to FA...and I wouldn't expect Ballard to sign a RB anyways. 

I agree...it was a weak group overall for the offense. Hooper wouldn't have been a bad signing...but I can understand passing at that cost. I didn't want Cooper.

IF the Colts want an impact player for the offense...it would likely have to be via trade (there are a couple I would love to see...but you never know if they are even available).

I was thinking about acquiring that impact player for the offense via a trade as well.  Instead of trading a pick I wonder if Ballard would be tempted to trade Hooker, a starting safety, for a starting WR from another team.  Just a thought.  Maybe for one of the players you are thinking of.  

Ballard changed things up this year. Rhodes and Rivers are a bit of a gamble because of the terrible years they had last year. The smart thing is he only signed them for one year. If they play well he looks like a genius but if they stink it up he is going to be second guessed. So obviously he is taking more chances than he normally takes

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I think DB will be a target but with the Rhodes signing it drops in priority 

I don’t think TE has much more priority than CB. If you look who we have depth wise at that position after Rock , Rhodes , and Moore it’s a significant drop off. Tell and Wilson are the remaining depth we have. And with this being Wilson’s contract year I unless he breaks out I don’t see him returning. There will be some quality CBs available round two I don’t think they’ll pass up on that quality of talent for a TE. Especially when some of the Top 5 graded TEs are expected to possibly slide to the 3rd round. 

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

I don’t think TE has much more priority than CB. If you look who we have depth wise at that position after Rock , Rhodes , and Moore it’s a significant drop off. Tell and Wilson are the remaining depth we have. And with this being Wilson’s contract year I unless he breaks out I don’t see him returning. There will be some quality CBs available round two I don’t think they’ll pass up on that quality of talent for a TE. Especially when some of the Top 5 graded TEs are expected to possibly slide to the 3rd round. 

Who knows because they staff might like someone like Lafayette Pitts or a draft a S a little later and convert him to CB ala Tell

WR should be a BPA option probably in every round in this draft, where it's possible to take one and get value.  That's how good this class is.  Teams may go crazy on them in certain rounds and deplete the options for a given group of course, but needing a wideout going into this draft is not a problem.

The bigger issue for the roster is a LT who just considered retirement.  And by extension in this draft there are going to be OT options who have a chance to be LT types at the Colts' second round slot.  Usually you want to go get those guys by end of round 1 and they disappear quickly in round 2.  But this year there's more depth.

So I expect Ballard to take advantage of that knowing he can get a wideout in most rounds thereafter.  Options early round two are plentiful with guys like Jones, Niang, Wanogho, etc.

Archived