Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's approach this offseason

DownHillRunner

I see many Colts fans frustrated with the lack of offensive signings but Ballard is doing the right thing when it comes to free agency and trades. Building up our defense! The Colts are in a conference which has Mahomes and Jackson & in a division with Henry and Watson. You can't stop those guys if you don't have a solid front seven and a secondary. 

I do agree Ballard needs to get weapons for Rivers but he's looking at the conference as a whole and how to stop these offenses. Its not just the in conference offenses its the out of conference ones too. Also, this team plays the Packers who got a solid offense, Ravens who have the reigning MVP, Vikings who have Dalvin Cook, Steelers who's been a thorn in our side, and the Raiders who gave us trouble last season. 

Offensive weapons will come. I would love to see Ballard get two receivers in the draft. Tee Higgins/Reagor, Mims/Reagor. Dunvernay/Claypool, or Claypool/Reagor. Sign Demarcus Robinson as well. Ballard knows him!

I wonder how many of these Colts fans who have been critical of Ballard’s approach actually are or have been general managers in the NFL. I’m going to say zero. 

Ballard is looking at the Wide Receiver draft class, and is probably thinking, he could get 2 receivers who could come in an produce right away instead of paying top dollar for a free agent receiver. 

1 hour ago, BigQuentonStyle said:

I wonder how many of these Colts fans who have been critical of Ballard’s approach actually are or have been general managers in the NFL. I’m going to say zero. 

Ballard is looking at the Wide Receiver draft class, and is probably thinking, he could get 2 receivers who could come in an produce right away instead of paying top dollar for a free agent receiver. 

There’s not much left on the free agent market as far as wide receivers go.

Taylor Gabriel, Chester Rodgers, Demaryius Thomas, Rasheed Higgins, Josh Gordon, Tavon Austin, Chris Hogan, Jermaine Kearney, Dontrelle Inman, Demarcus Robinson. 

Demarcus Robinson is an interesting name. Ballard knows him, and he’s only 25. 

Weighing draft depth at WR vs FA, it shouldn't surprise anyone that we haven't picked up a FA. That's on top of just shelling out for two big FAs... And with 20+% of our cap sitting in the QB room, just wasn't going to happen. Going draft/cheap with maybe a journey man WR add from FA.

1 hour ago, BigQuentonStyle said:

True none of us have been GMs.  Does not mean we cannot be critical.  Most of us know that we have about 1/10th the information CB has to make decisions but we can still voice our opinions and disagreements.

2 hours ago, BigQuentonStyle said:

There are very few rookie WRs that come into the NFL and make a big splash. They will have a great play on occasion but not on a consistent bases. 

In reality what does producing right away mean? 

These rookie WRs have never played against NFL caliber defensive players. 

8 hours ago, BigQuentonStyle said:

Ballard said sometime around last year's draft that he looks several years ahead when drafting and mentioned that he knew this upcoming class was loaded at WR.  There are plenty of guys after the CeeDee Lambs and Jerry Jeudys in this class who will be able to turn in productive careers at WR.  I would be shocked if we don't pick at least one with our top 3 picks.  Also, Ballard knows if needed some of the guys still available in FA could come in cheap (Inman and Rogers were never spectacular for us, but the were serviceable and he has familiarity with Demarcus Robinson).  

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

There’s not much left on the free agent market as far as wide receivers go.

Taylor Gabriel, Chester Rodgers, Demaryius Thomas, Rasheed Higgins, Josh Gordon, Tavon Austin, Chris Hogan, Jermaine Kearney, Dontrelle Inman, Demarcus Robinson. 

Demarcus Robinson is an interesting name. Ballard knows him, and he’s only 25. 

D. Thomas, IMO, is washed up.  Josh Gordon is the most talented of the bunch but highly doubt Ballard would take a chance on the character issues.  We know Inman and Rogers can be serviceable, but not special.  D. Robinson intrigues me the most -- not only b/c Ballard has familiarity with him, but because he's got good size (6'3" 205 lbs) and decent speed (4.59 forty).  He's a little smaller than Funchess but 0.11 seconds faster in his 40.  He also was stuck behind an elite group of WRs in KC.  He's young and I be could be a pretty good WR if given the chance in the right scheme.

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

Once again, he blew it.  Jim will soon run out of patience with his lack of aggression.

I hope you're kidding.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are very few rookie WRs that come into the NFL and make a big splash. They will have a great play on occasion but not on a consistent bases. 

In reality what does producing right away mean? 

These rookie WRs have never played against NFL caliber defensive players. 

Pretty sure every rookie WR last year that was taken in the first two rounds had really big years. I used to think the same but changed my mind.

Metcalf

Samual

Mclaurin 

Sutton 

Who else am I missing 

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

True none of us have been GMs.  Does not mean we cannot be critical.  Most of us know that we have about 1/10th the information CB has to make decisions but we can still voice our opinions and disagreements.

Absolutely. However, when that opinion is displayed arrogantly, as if the poster knows more than the GM, it is irritating, and reveals a lack of understanding. 

Ballard has definitely been cautiously aggressive with his investment in free agency with Buckner, Rivers, Day and now Rhodes. The only long term deal he did was with Buckner, which also has the best odds of working out. The short term deals were short for the obvious reason, they came with a higher degree of risk. All deals kept both the short and long term in mind.

Damon Snacks Harrison and Shelby Harris are still unsigned, so is Logan Ryan. Will be interesting to see where they land.

WR is probably our biggest need outside of QB. Would It really shock anyone if Ballard took a WR at 34. Trades the 44 pick with maybe our 3rd or 4th pick and moves up into the first four a QB. He could move way up with 2021 first and the 44th pick. Then we come out like this.

13th-Buckner

34-WR-Higgins, Claypool, Mims

Trade 44 and maybe next years first to move up to the teens for a QB

Then we have 4 rounds to build some oline depth and look for a TE. That would be a hell of a draft. We really don’t have a lot of holes to fill we can really move way up in the first for that QB.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, DownHillRunner said:

I see many Colts fans frustrated with the lack of offensive signings but Ballard is doing the right thing when it comes to free agency and trades. Building up our defense! The Colts are in a conference which has Mahomes and Jackson & in a division with Henry and Watson. You can't stop those guys if you don't have a solid front seven and a secondary. 

I do agree Ballard needs to get weapons for Rivers but he's looking at the conference as a whole and how to stop these offenses. Its not just the in conference offenses its the out of conference ones too. Also, this team plays the Packers who got a solid offense, Ravens who have the reigning MVP, Vikings who have Dalvin Cook, Steelers who's been a thorn in our side, and the Raiders who gave us trouble last season. 

Offensive weapons will come. I would love to see Ballard get two receivers in the draft. Tee Higgins/Reagor, Mims/Reagor. Dunvernay/Claypool, or Claypool/Reagor. Sign Demarcus Robinson as well. Ballard knows him!

This Draft is loaded with WR depth but I do have to say I am a bit worried going into the season with just TY, Campbell and Fountain as our WR core.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

WR is probably our biggest need outside of QB. Would It really shock anyone if Ballard took a WR at 34. Trades the 44 pick with maybe our 3rd or 4th pick and moves up into the first four a QB. He could move way up with 2021 first and the 44th pick. Then we come out like this.

13th-Buckner

34-WR-Higgins, Claypool, Mims

Trade 44 and maybe next years first to move up to the teens for a QB

Then we have 4 rounds to build some oline depth and look for a TE. That would be a hell of a draft. We really don’t have a lot of holes to fill we can really move way up in the first for that QB.

I will b shocked if we pick a qb this year.

8 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Except Campbell he sucks

Sheeze

Watch highlights of Campbell at Ohio State.

He was NEVER an injury concern in College, he had THREE significant injuries last year that kept him off the field

The first week in camp, he was chewing folks up

He is a WR with 4.32 speed in a RB bodys......

The guy will be very good for the Colts......

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would go WR at 34 and TE at 44. At 75 if Anthony Gordon is there, we snag him.

34th- WR

44th- CB/OL/DL

75th - TE (hoping for Dayton TE)

very rarely do rookie TE’s contribute early, so take one with some upside to groom for Doyle’s replacement 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

34th- WR

44th- CB/OL/DL

75th - TE (hoping for Dayton TE)

very rarely do rookie TE’s contribute early, so take one with some upside to groom for Doyle’s replacement 

Rookie WRs very rarely contribute early. Yep, there was a small handful last year, but that's not the norm.

AND, if Kmet is there at 34, I'm going TE there.

There's more really good WRs in this draft than TEs.

And, of course, it depends on what, and how many, WRs may have dropped to 34.

One thing about Ballard this offseason.  He has caught us off guard with many of his moves so far.  And for the most part everyone has been pretty supportive and pleased with the results.  I'm hoping he's not done and maybe he has another surprise move or two that we won't be expecting.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

One thing about Ballard this offseason.  He has caught us off guard with many of his moves so far.  And for the most part everyone has been pretty supportive and pleased with the results.  I'm hoping he's not done and maybe he has another surprise move or two that we won't be expecting.  

Very true. A few moves have been riskier swings than before. I would not have seen him go after Sheldon Day or Xavier Rhodes in years past, to be honest. However, he feels like he can start taking a few more risks with the hope that the coaching staff will make it work. 

Our cap room did dwindle down pretty fast with all the off season moves, that is for sure. 

This is a make or break year for Ballard imo. I disagree with all of the off-season acquisitions he’s made so far. I would have much preferred drafting a QB early because of how great the offensive line is.

Rivers is 38 and even if he plays great doesn’t have many years left. The league is moving more towards mobile QB’s and Rivers in his prime was never mobile. I’m expecting at least an AFC championship appearance and anything less Ballard job should be on the line. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Rookie WRs very rarely contribute early. Yep, there was a small handful last year, but that's not the norm.

AND, if Kmet is there at 34, I'm going TE there.

There's more really good WRs in this draft than TEs.

And, of course, it depends on what, and how many, WRs may have dropped to 34.

What would be an intriguing set of draft picks would be get Kmet and then taking Claypool. Two bigger bodies at different positions but could be one heck of a matchup in the redzone packages. I’d like to take a prospect to work into the LT spot in 2 seasons or be capable to hold the spot for a game or two if the injury bug catches us. After the 3rd round, just fill in with potential depth and hopeful starters a few seasons from now at any spot. 

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Very true. A few moves have been riskier swings than before. I would not have seen him go after Sheldon Day or Xavier Rhodes in years past, to be honest. However, he feels like he can start taking a few more risks with the hope that the coaching staff will make it work. 

Our cap room did dwindle down pretty fast with all the off season moves, that is for sure. 

Maybe his additions will give the locker room that “friction” he felt was needed and ready for now. 

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pretty sure every rookie WR last year that was taken in the first two rounds had really big years. I used to think the same but changed my mind.

Metcalf

Samual

Mclaurin 

Sutton 

Who else am I missing 

Off the top of my head there were more than 10 WRs taken the first two rounds.   Without even looking I can assure you that not all of them had really good years. 

Parris Campbell for one.    I’ll try to dig up a few more. 

I believe Sutton was two years ago.  And McLaren was the third round. 

Archived