Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Pelissero] Colts signing Sheldon Day


Recommended Posts

On every interview Ballard has ever done about DL, he says young guys often need at least two years to figure things out, and that’s without injuries,  which Lewis has had both of his years.  Ballard has said this is a big year for Lewis.

 

If someone wants to say that Autry was over paid last year — fine.  But then you have to admit he was underpaid his first year when he recorded 9 sacks in 12 games.   It goes both ways.

 

Ballard wants 10 good DL, not just a good front four.  You cant keep cutting everyone the fans think are overpaid.   Otherwise you’re a dog always chasing your tail.   You’ll never be satisfied.   Fans think most players are overpaid, even when they’re not.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What people aren't talking about that I think should be mentioned more is that Day and our new prize defender Deforest Buckner played (and even started some) side-by-side last year with SF. These two

Im sure the front office is worried about you're overreacting opinion

Buckner's missed 1 game in his career.  He just turned 26 last week.  He's coming off a two consecutive years where he played very well (a probowl one year, 2nd team all-pro the other).  The 3T IDL sp

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  You mentioned as a whole the dline unit is well paid.  Just saying that usually the newest contracts in the NFL are the most expensive, so Buckner raises that group's compensation by that factor.  And if Houston is adequately paid, which I agree, that means that there are some that aren't earning their comp.  I'd put Autry in that camp as well as Lewis...our other 3Ts...  Even though Lewis is not paid highly, he's been overpaid given what he has contributed.  Again, I just see this as a reason why we need to add another quality DT either at 3T or active 1T. 

 

I would not consider it a waste of capital vs need if pick #34 was another DT. It would also allow Buckner to thrive.

I think it's simply that the DL is low on rookie contract production. Our two stud anchors are post rookie contract vets. Lewis to me has always been just depth, so he's not a disappointment to me. Any swap at 3T won't be cheap. While I think Autry is overpaid a bit, I doubt we can get better for the same price right now. I'm not worried about 1T at all. Stewart and Day are a very solid rotation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's simply that the DL is low on rookie contract production. Our two stud anchors are post rookie contract vets. Lewis to me has always been just depth, so he's not a disappointment to me. Any swap at 3T won't be cheap. While I think Autry is overpaid a bit, I doubt we can get better for the same price right now. I'm not worried about 1T at all. Stewart and Day are a very solid rotation. 

Since you opinion of Lewis is about the same as mine, and we both agree that Sheard is probably not returning, that leaves only Autry as our other 3T, unless Ben plays some interior like Sheard did.  I think with Day, Buckner, and Rhodes, CB is filling immediate needs that he might not be able to fill via the draft.  Buckner, however, also is the future at DT.  Since I think we need to upgrade 2 DTs in the rotation, I think these roster moves say nothing about pick 34.  DT and corner are just as viable at 34 as they ever were.  Maybe still less so than other positions, but these latest moves do nothing to change it, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since you opinion of Lewis is about the same as mine, and we both agree that Sheard is probably not returning, that leaves only Autry as our other 3T, unless Ben plays some interior like Sheard did.  I think with Day, Buckner, and Rhodes, CB is filling immediate needs that he might not be able to fill via the draft.  Buckner, however, also is the future at DT.  Since I think we need to upgrade 2 DTs in the rotation, I think these roster moves say nothing about pick 34.  DT and corner are just as viable at 34 as they ever were.  Maybe still less so than other positions, but these latest moves do nothing to change it, IMO.

Dude I think you're stressing way too much on the DL, and especially DT. Only area of potential need right now is DE, and even there, they may be expecting a lot more from the young guys this year. Only way they grab another 3T is if they bounce Autry.

 

Lewis will be the 3rd DT/3T. Autry will be the 2nd and likely play DE a little too. But we're fine behind Buckner. Buckner hardly comes off the field. He was a snap hog in SF and will remain one in Indy IMO. I also wouldn't write off Sheard coming back. NT is fine, and much better than last year.

 

No way Banogu plays 3T, and there's just no need to even entertain that. He's 250 and still way too raw. Only way he sees 3T is due to extreme injury or some wild package.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, EastStreet said:

Nice depth piece to rotate in with Stewart. Low risk, but good add. 

Exactly. Real decent contract, familiar with Buckner, talented .

Good signing. I wouldn't know why anyone would be negative about this move by Ballard. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, richard pallo said:

I wonder if this means we have moved on from Clowney and will now turn our attention to other needs.  

IMO we never were seriously interested in Clowney. 

That rumor started because Stampede Blue said we SHOULD go after Clowney. No where else have I seen a link or anything article where Ballard has even said the Colts sent an offer. 

I take into consideration things happen without the fans knowledge but personally  I think Ballard is done with the bigger deals for the time being.

Clowney is dang sure not worth a bidding war. Yes he is a great player but not tops in pay. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO we never were seriously interested in Clowney. 

That rumor started because Stampede Blue said we SHOULD go after Clowney. No where else have I seen a link or anything article where Ballard has even said the Colts sent an offer. 

I take into consideration things happen without the fans knowledge but personally  I think Ballard is done with the bigger deals for the time being.

Clowney is dang sure not worth a bidding war. Yes he is a great player but not tops in pay. 

 

Well said, this mirrors my thoughts on both Clowney and big ticket FAs going forward this year. Overall pleased with the pickups and associated contracts thus far. With all of the 1-year deals, we're going to have an exciting offseason again next year!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. Real decent contract, familiar with Buckner, talented .

Good signing. I wouldn't know why anyone would be negative about this move by Ballard. 

He's a good kid, and good locker room guy. And we don't need, nor can we afford some top 5 guy at at NT. We've already invested a ton in the DL, and some of the guys on rook contracts need to step up and produce. This was a no-brainer good add. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, WarGhost21 said:

What people aren't talking about that I think should be mentioned more is that Day and our new prize defender Deforest Buckner played (and even started some) side-by-side last year with SF. These two already know each other's games, and that should really help them both with consistency and comfort on defense! Great add!!

Yes. Familiarity in an off-season where there will be little to no time to get familiar with new teams/players. We see this with guys that Ballard has brought in like Rivers and Rhodes who are already familiar with our coaches and schemes. With little to no offseason to work out or practice or even go through the normal draft process Ballard is going with familiarity over the unknown. Can’t say I blame him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Cheap!

Ya get what ya pay for.  Hopefully, we won't be relying on him to make much of a contribution. 

 

I'm assuming he gets activated on game day only if Grover is nicked.  Its not like we added another useful 1T to push or supplant Grover.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ya get what ya pay for.  Hopefully, we won't be relying on him to make much of a contribution. 

 

I'm assuming he gets activated on game day only if Grover is nicked.  Its not like we added another useful 1T to push or supplant Grover.  

I think just a body for some interior pass rush help.He might not even make the team. I think Lewis better step up his game, big year for him!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I think just a body for some interior pass rush help.He might not even make the team. I think Lewis better step up his game, big year for him!

Ballard just filling out the roster.  After Hunt was cut, Sheard not resigned,  we're still down one DT after Buckner, so in comes Day.  His salary is guaranteed so I think he will make the roster but his role will be exactly as I thought.  He dresses only if Grover can't.  We can still draft a better prospect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Ballard just filling out the roster.  After Hunt was cut, Sheard not resigned,  we're still down one DT after Buckner, so in comes Day.  His salary is guaranteed so I think he will make the roster but his role will be exactly as I thought.  He dresses only if Grover can't.  Unless we draft a better prospect.

You do understand that we try to have 10 defensive lineman on the 55man roster and that we dress 8 of them.   That’s what we’ve tried to do since Ballard arrived. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard just filling out the roster.  After Hunt was cut, Sheard not resigned,  we're still down one DT after Buckner, so in comes Day.  His salary is guaranteed so I think he will make the roster but his role will be exactly as I thought.  He dresses only if Grover can't.  Unless we draft a better prospect.

Agree

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ya get what ya pay for.  Hopefully, we won't be relying on him to make much of a contribution. 

 

I'm assuming he gets activated on game day only if Grover is nicked.  Its not like we added another useful 1T to push or supplant Grover.  

If you sincerely believe the line about getting what you Kay for...  then you have two options that I can see.

 

Yiu either haven’t paid attention to the last 8 years here which shows the opposite is mostly true...

 

OR.....

 

You paid attention to it, you’ve made nite of it, but in classic Doug Dew fashion, you simply disagree with the facts.

 

Is there a third theory?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you sincerely believe the line about getting what you Kay for...  then you have two options that I can see.

 

Yiu either haven’t paid attention to the last 8 years here which shows the opposite is mostly true...

 

OR.....

 

You paid attention to it, you’ve made nite of it, but in classic Doug Dew fashion, you simply disagree with the facts.

 

Is there a third theory?

 

Yes, the third theory is that you still don't understand much about roster building, or the English language. 

 

Don't deflect.  Stay on topic now....

 

What FACTS did I disagree with?

   

Ya get what ya pay for.  Hopefully, we won't be relying on him to make much of a contribution. 

 

I'm assuming he gets activated on game day only if Grover is nicked.  Its not like we added another useful 1T to push or supplant Grover. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You do understand that we try to have 10 defensive lineman on the 55man roster and that we dress 8 of them.   That’s what we’ve tried to do since Ballard arrived. 

Yes.  And Day won't dress unless Grover doesn't.  But a drafted 1T might dress the same day Grover does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes, the third theory is that you still don't understand much about roster building, or the English language. 

 

Don't deflect.  Stay on topic now....

 

What FACTS did I disagree with?

   

Ya get what ya pay for.  Hopefully, we won't be relying on him to make much of a contribution. 

 

I'm assuming he gets activated on game day only if Grover is nicked.  Its not like we added another useful 1T to push or supplant Grover. 

 

What facts did you disagree with?   That you get what you Kay for.    If that we’re true, free agency would be the proven cure-all to problems, because most free agents get seriously paid.   Yet it’s widely reported that most free agent buys don’t pay off.  They give teams a very poor rate of return on the investment.  
 

I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.   Yet you ignore it.   Ballard has been saying thus since the day he walked on the door.  So Ballard has been shopping in the mid-priced and discount isles and building a great team around the draft where players are discounted.   You get much better bang for the buck in the draft.  The opposite of you get what you pay for.  
 

These are facts, Doug...    you ignore them.   All the time.   As to Day and Grover, if we dress eight, and he’s the backup to Stewart, then he dresses.  How much he plays is the question.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  And Day won't dress unless Grover doesn't.  But a drafted 1T might dress the same day Grover does.

Ballard says he wants 8 DL to keep his front 4 fresh all game long.

 

So this is basic math.   We typically have had 10 DL on the roster which used to be 53 and is now 55.    We typically dress 8.

 

That leaves room for the starting front four and all their backups to make 8.  
What good does it do to not dress Day?  If Stewart gets hurt in a game, who steps in for him?   You have the backup standing on the sidelines not dressed.  Even MORE to the point,  if Stewart simply gets tired and needs a breather, his backup is not dressed.   This isn’t complicated.  Why are you trying to make this hard? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard says he wants 8 DL to keep his front 4 fresh all game long.

 

So this is basic math.   We typically have had 10 DL on the roster which used to be 53 and is now 55.    We typically dress 8.

 

That leaves room for the starting front four and all their backups to make 8.  
What good does it do to not dress Day?  If Stewart gets hurt in a game, who steps in for him?   You have the backup standing on the sidelines not dressed.  Even MORE to the point,  if Stewart simply gets tired and needs a breather, his backup is not dressed.   This isn’t complicated.  Why are you trying to make this hard? 

I agree Day will dress and play

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I agree Day will dress and play

Not only will he play, he will be working for a new contract so don't be surprised if he plays well. 

Ballard will reward him or he will up his value to another team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...