Indianapolis Colts
stitches

[Pelissero] Colts signing Sheldon Day

42 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

Had 15 tackles and 1 sack last year, though he did not get much playing time with that stout 49ers front. 

Good, he's well rested!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

If we can get Clowney, that would give us nine pretty good defensive linemen with Day, Lewis, Turay, Bonagu, Muhammed as reserves

So that'd be Clowney, Stewart, Buckner, Houston as starters?  Or Autry over Stewart?

25 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Highly doubt we get him. I hope I’m wrong, but don’t see clowney coming here. Also my opinion is Ballard made a terrible decision in getting rid of desir.

Desir, IMO, overachieved his first year here.  I know he was battling some injuries last year, but his play definitely slipped.  In 2018, he allowed a 54.2% completion percent and an 85.6 passer rating against him along with a 3.7% missed tackle percentage.  In 2019, he allowed 64.9% completion percent, a 96.5 passer rating against him and missed 13.8% of his tackles.  

His play didn't slightly decline, it majorly declined in just about every aspect (the only positive was he had 3 picks last year compared to 1 in 2018, he also broke up 11 passes which was more than 8 the year before,  every other metric associated with his performance declined  -- and sometimes interceptions and passes defended are tricky stats because it could just be an indicator that teams weren't afraid to throw at him).  

He got a hefty contract after a solid 2018 season.  Injured or not, he certainly didn't live up to it last year.  My guess is Ballard is going to try to address this position to some extent, and he probably feels comfortable with the guys we have on the current roster.  I don't think it was a terrible decision to release Desir, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Clowney will have to come down. He isn’t getting the 20 mil he wants. Guarantee when he does sign with whomever, it’ll be a 16-18 mil deal. 

Why? We gave Buckner 21 mil 

4 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Because Buckner is a MUCH better player than Clowney AND because it’s much later in FA and teams don’t have nearly as much money to spend. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because Buckner is a MUCH better player than Clowney AND because it’s much later in FA and teams don’t have nearly as much money to spend. 

I guess we will see

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

According to an article on Stampede Blue he turned down an off of 17M from the Dolphins.  I would guess that if that offer came from a contending team he would take it along with some incentives of course.  I wonder if he would take that offer from the Colts.  

Gotta take into account that Florida doesn’t charge income tax. So that 17M is more appealing than our 17M in terms of money. But if he truly values playing with a contender like he says and isn’t just chasing money, I think he’s a great grab at 17M 

21 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Buckner's missed 1 game in his career.  He just turned 26 last week.  He's coming off a two consecutive years where he played very well (a probowl one year, 2nd team all-pro the other).  The 3T IDL spot is arguably the most important on this defense and we had a glaring weakness there (assuming Turay and Houston stay healthy and Bagonu continues developing, our edges were more sound than our interior).  In 4 seasons he's had 28.5 sacks, compared to Clowney's 32 sacks in 6 seasons (consider Buckner is an IDL and Clowney's an edge guy - that's 7.125 sacks per year for Buckner to 5.3 sacks per year from Clowney).  Buckner was voted by his teammates as team MVP last season.  He's considered by many to be a top 3 player at his position (behind Aaron Donald and maybe Chris Jones).  

Clowney's slightly over a year older with 2 more years in the NFL.  He's 4 years removed from being a 2nd team all-pro (Buckner was one last year).  He missed 3+ games last year and his numbers were down from his previous two years aside from missing those games.  He also had injury concerns early in his career.  He's considered by very few to be top 5 at his position at this point in his career.

Sheard is still on the market.  Clowney's really not done much as a pass rusher in the NFL.  Just last season, in the same amount of games (13) Jabaal Sheard racked up 4.5 sacks along with 45 tackles (25 solo, 20 assists).  Clowney had 3 sacks and 31 total tackles (21 solo, 10 assists).  I think Clowney's a better player than Sheard, but where Sheard excels is against the run, much like Clowney (with Clowney being better).  That said, we could get Sheard for a lot cheaper if needed and still get a quality player.  At IDL, there simply were not a lot of high quality players available in FA or on the trading block.  

IMO, Clowney's still riding the fact that he was a number 1 overall pick and the fact that he's got a household name.  In terms of producing on the field, Buckner's been much more productive over the past 2 years than Clowney has, and he fits a need at arguably the most important spot on our defense.  Those are just some of the reasons why we'd pay Bucker $21 mil and want Clowney to accept less.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This means they are satisfied with Grover as our big. The "New Grover" had a 70 grade against the run. Pretty decent. He played a total of 627 snaps. That should go down a fair amount so Day won't play much barring injury. 

We are light on cap so expect just a few more cheap adds prior to the draft.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Has it been reported we are in talks with Clowney? 

Some rumors via twitter with the verified talking heads

• Thanks 1

What was their biggest weakness, DT's, is quickly becoming a strength. Now they have more options with the draft

• Like 1

Clowney has priced himself out of the market. Nobody has bulged to give him $20 million. In my opinion, he’s more of a $10-$11 million DT than he is a $20 million pass rusher. 

There is one of those bogus football Twitter pages who said the Colts, Seahawks, and Titans were in on Clowney. Until he and his agent bring the price down he will remain on the market. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Clowney has priced himself out of the market. Nobody has bulged to give him $20 million. In my opinion, he’s more of a $10-$11 million DT than he is a $20 million pass rusher. 

There is one of those bogus football Twitter pages who said the Colts, Seahawks, and Titans were in on Clowney. Until he and his agent bring the price down he will remain on the market. 

Money will dry up too, not many teams are going to set aside that kind of cap space to see if clowney wants to sign with them someday.  He probably needs to make a decesion

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Yep, this is the second Grover Stewart/Al woods type we were often lacking last season....

Al wood mentioned on IG he was gonna come back to indy but he took the jags deal instead

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

So that'd be Clowney, Stewart, Buckner, Houston as starters?  Or Autry over Stewart?

Desir, IMO, overachieved his first year here.  I know he was battling some injuries last year, but his play definitely slipped.  In 2018, he allowed a 54.2% completion percent and an 85.6 passer rating against him along with a 3.7% missed tackle percentage.  In 2019, he allowed 64.9% completion percent, a 96.5 passer rating against him and missed 13.8% of his tackles.  

His play didn't slightly decline, it majorly declined in just about every aspect (the only positive was he had 3 picks last year compared to 1 in 2018, he also broke up 11 passes which was more than 8 the year before,  every other metric associated with his performance declined  -- and sometimes interceptions and passes defended are tricky stats because it could just be an indicator that teams weren't afraid to throw at him).  

He got a hefty contract after a solid 2018 season.  Injured or not, he certainly didn't live up to it last year.  My guess is Ballard is going to try to address this position to some extent, and he probably feels comfortable with the guys we have on the current roster.  I don't think it was a terrible decision to release Desir, though.

Over achieved then gets handed a nice new contract, then gets injured and boom cut. For all you locker room fanatics, what message does that send. At least Desir earned his contract unlike JB. Releasing Desir makes no sense unless you need the cap space to go after somebody else. The move makes another hole to fill on defense. 

Has everyone forgot that Turay was their best pass rusher?   I know Clowney is good against the run but I think Turay is a better pass rusher.  Do the Colts really need to drop nearly $20 million on Clowney with Turay returning?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Has everyone forgot that Turay was their best pass rusher?   I know Clowney is good against the run but I think Turay is a better pass rusher.  Do the Colts really need to drop nearly $20 million on Clowney with Turay returning?  

I have high hopes for Turay, but he was a situational guy who had 1.5 sacks and 5 tackles in 4 games. Yes he rated great, but it was a very limited sample size and most of his stats were against two teams.... one with the 29th ranked OL, and the the second who were missing their starting OT and OG.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Do the Colts really need to drop nearly $20 million on Clowney with Turay returning?

No.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No.

Would be smart to add someone to replace sheard

I would much rather grab Logan Ryan/CB and a solid free agent TE on the FA market than pay Clowney at this point. 

• Like 4

Clowney - riding on coattails of being #1 pick.

NEVER had 10 or more sacks a year, as a edge defender.

If that doesn’t scream bust, I don’t know what does!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Highly doubt we get him. I hope I’m wrong, but don’t see clowney coming here. Also my opinion is Ballard made a terrible decision in getting rid of desir.

Well see Ballard has a plan in mind I'm sure. 

39 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Clowney - riding on coattails of being #1 pick.

NEVER had 10 or more sacks a year, as a edge defender.

If that doesn’t scream bust, I don’t know what does!

I'm not sure he is a bust but definitely not the player they thought he would be coming out college obviously. He had one amazing play in college and everyone went crazy but the truth of the matter is that he never was that good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Well see Ballard has a plan in mind I'm sure. 

To your fist statement... Why?

To your second, yes we have a bit of a hole now at corner but man some people act like we just lost Deon Sanders.  Desir was not that good last year. He can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply. 

Now a question here is this. Do they finally let Lewis play outside? On film he plays way better there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Would be smart to add someone to replace sheard

Sign Sheard

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I would much rather grab Logan Ryan/CB and a solid free agent TE on the FA market than pay Clowney at this point. 

I agree on stepping away from the Clowney sweepstakes. However, unless we roll the dice on an aging, often injured Delanie Walker, i don't see us upgrading our TE room in FA. I would like to see a TE taken in the draft between rounds 2-4. I would be really happy with Logan Ryan & Everson Griffen or Markus Golden though. 

13 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I agree on stepping away from the Clowney sweepstakes. However, unless we roll the dice on an aging, often injured Delanie Walker, i don't see us upgrading our TE room in FA. I would like to see a TE taken in the draft between rounds 2-4. I would be really happy with Logan Ryan & Everson Griffen or Markus Golden though. 

I agree ryan, golden, or everson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Over achieved then gets handed a nice new contract, then gets injured and boom cut. For all you locker room fanatics, what message does that send. At least Desir earned his contract unlike JB. Releasing Desir makes no sense unless you need the cap space to go after somebody else. The move makes another hole to fill on defense. 

Desir did earn his contract.  And yes, he was battling some injuries.  That said, his missed tackle rate was almost 14%.  How much of that was due to injuries? I don't know.  Fact of the matter is the completion rate when throwing at him last year was >10% higher than it was in 2018.  His missed tackle rate when from 3-4% to 13-14%, again a decline by >10%.  Passer ratings against him went from ~85 to ~96, 10+ point decline.  There isn't really much way of knowing if those declines in performance (which are major declines) were due solely to injuries or if his play truly declined.  In every sport it isn't very uncommon to see players decline after getting a fat contract.  In Desir's case, we, as fans don't know if it was solely due to injury or if his work ethic lessened after getting that contract.  We don't know if he was a great teammate in the locker room, either.  Brissett is commonly mentioned as being a leader and a guy who other players have a lot of respect for as a teammate.  I don't ever recall Desir being called out in public as a good or bad locker room guy.

Did they make the move to free up cap space to go after another FA?  We don't know that yet.  

Regardless, Ballard seems to like physical DBs who can tackle.  A >10% decline in tackling percentage may be a sign that Desir's play just declined or he wasn't playing up the standard of what he was paid for.  I could see if passer ratings went up against him if he was a tad slower, but the major decline in his tackling ability doesn't seem to make as much sense.  I don't know why he was let go, there could be behind the scenes stuff none of us know about.  

Not for nothing, but a losing a guy who was allowing QB ratings >95, with almost 2/3 of the balls thrown his way being completed and missing ~14% of his tackles doesn't seem like a major loss to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Desir did earn his contract.  And yes, he was battling some injuries.  That said, his missed tackle rate was almost 14%.  How much of that was due to injuries? I don't know.  Fact of the matter is the completion rate when throwing at him last year was >10% higher than it was in 2018.  His missed tackle rate when from 3-4% to 13-14%, again a decline by >10%.  Passer ratings against him went from ~85 to ~96, 10+ point decline.  There isn't really much way of knowing if those declines in performance (which are major declines) were due solely to injuries or if his play truly declined.  In every sport it isn't very uncommon to see players decline after getting a fat contract.  In Desir's case, we, as fans don't know if it was solely due to injury or if his work ethic lessened after getting that contract.  We don't know if he was a great teammate in the locker room, either.  Brissett is commonly mentioned as being a leader and a guy who other players have a lot of respect for as a teammate.  I don't ever recall Desir being called out in public as a good or bad locker room guy.

Did they make the move to free up cap space to go after another FA?  We don't know that yet.  

Regardless, Ballard seems to like physical DBs who can tackle.  A >10% decline in tackling percentage may be a sign that Desir's play just declined or he wasn't playing up the standard of what he was paid for.  I could see if passer ratings went up against him if he was a tad slower, but the major decline in his tackling ability doesn't seem to make as much sense.  I don't know why he was let go, there could be behind the scenes stuff none of us know about.  

Not for nothing, but a losing a guy who was allowing QB ratings >95, with almost 2/3 of the balls thrown his way being completed and missing ~14% of his tackles doesn't seem like a major loss to me.

Just creates another  hole to fill. Now we will probably  go cb at 34

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Just creates another  hole to fill. Now we will probably  go cb at 34

If we were going to be relying on a guy that allowed >95 passer rating, 2/3 of balls thrown his way to be completed and missed 14% of his tackles as a starter, we're probably better off filling that hole.  It's a minor one, at best.

8 hours ago, Superfly said:

Probably, to much invested in the QB position to pay Clowney. 

You got every emoji reaction in one post...that’s got to automatically unluck a new level or something.

• Haha 1

I've had my suspicions but maybe this confirms it:  I think Buckner just MIGHT be our next LDE to replace Sheard.  Just a hunch.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Maybe Desir would’ve been better with this great Dline we’re putting together. Supposedly that’s everyone excuse for hooker, rock, etc. Dline= more pressure, which means less coverage time for dbs. Either way we’re too young at the position now and have little depth. Why create another depth issue??? 

6 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I'm not sure he is a bust but definitely not the player they thought he would be coming out college obviously. He had one amazing play in college and everyone went crazy but the truth of the matter is that he never was that good. 

Maybe not but one thing for sure.  He is a difference maker that you have to account for on every play.  Otherwise Ballard wouldn't be in the hunt to sign him and pay him a large contract.

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe not but one thing for sure.  He is a difference maker that you have to account for on every play.  Otherwise Ballard wouldn't be in the hunt to sign him and pay him a large contract.

Is there a link stating that Ballard made him an offer or is this just a rumor? 

• Like 2