[Pelissero] Colts signing Sheldon Day

stitches

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1984615/sheldon-day

49ers' Sheldon Day: Finishes year as starter

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Day had 15 tackles (10 solo) and a sack in 16 games this season.

Day began the year as a backup,

but he took over as a starting defensive tackle next to DeForest Buckner after D.J. Jones (ankle) was shut down following Week 11.

The near-300 pound tackle shined against the run, but he was also able to generate some pass-rush pressure despite his larger size.

Day will be an unrestricted free agent this upcoming offseason, but he should land somewhere (if San Francisco doesn't re-sign him) following a solid showing in 2019.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This better be for $2-$3 million. I'm going to be upset if we got rid of Desir for him and we aren't getting Clowney.

I doubt it's more than 3M. He's situational. Only played about 1/3 of snaps last year in most games. Good guy to compete and rotate with Stewart. Good kid too.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if this means we have moved on from Clowney and will now turn our attention to other needs.  

Day is a 1T. Doubt this would have anything to do with Clowney. We needed a reasonable 1T guy for depth/rotation, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This better be for $2-$3 million. I'm going to be upset if we got rid of Desir for him and we aren't getting Clowney.

Highly doubt we get him. I hope I’m wrong, but don’t see clowney coming here. Also my opinion is Ballard made a terrible decision in getting rid of desir.

1 minute ago, joecolts said:

Good character player who is a perfect situational guy for this line.  I don't know the figures but, I'd have to say Ballard got him on the cheap with the limited PT he received last year on the 49ers

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

Yep, this is the second Grover Stewart/Al woods type we were often lacking last season....

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nice depth piece to rotate in with Stewart. Low risk, but good add. 

Thanks all. You folks get it. 

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Yep, this is the second Grover Stewart/Al woods type we were often lacking last season....

I honestly think we could've gotten by without adding, but had injury hit Stewart, we would have been screwed. It's a double bonus for me picking up a kid from ND. Hometown too so a triple bonus. 

1 minute ago, Biggz21 said:

This is a pure depth and rotation move he couldn't have signed for more than 1.5-2.5 mill. We still have room to go after Clowney or Logan Ryan

Clowney wants way more than he is worth.   The fact here hasn't signed yet is proof of that

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Day is a 1T. Doubt this would have anything to do with Clowney. We needed a reasonable 1T guy for depth/rotation, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I was thinking more along the lines that he could be the first of a number of depth players that could be added instead of Clowney.  CB, WR, OL,  maybe bring Sheard back.  Hope he still gets Clowney though. 

What people aren't talking about that I think should be mentioned more is that Day and our new prize defender Deforest Buckner played (and even started some) side-by-side last year with SF. These two already know each other's games, and that should really help them both with consistency and comfort on defense! Great add!!

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Clowney wants way more than he is worth.   The fact here hasn't signed yet is proof of that

Clowney will have to come down. He isn’t getting the 20 mil he wants. Guarantee when he does sign with whomever, it’ll be a 16-18 mil deal. 

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

What people aren't talking about that I think should be mentioned more is that Day and our new prize defender Deforest Buckner played (and even started some) side-by-side last year with SF. These two already know each other's games, and that should really help them both with consistency and comfort on defense! Great add!!

Agree, and nice new avatar!

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Clowney will have to come down. He isn’t getting the 20 mil he wants. Guarantee when he does sign with whomever, it’ll be a 16-18 mil deal. 

According to an article on Stampede Blue he turned down an off of 17M from the Dolphins.  I would guess that if that offer came from a contending team he would take it along with some incentives of course.  I wonder if he would take that offer from the Colts.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

According to an article on Stampede Blue he turned down an off of 17M from the Dolphins.  I would guess that if that offer came from a contending team he would take it along with some incentives of course.  I wonder if he would take that offer from the Colts.  

I think you’re right. Miami has added some pieces and probably getting Tua will help. But don’t think they are anywhere near being a contender at this point in time. We’ll see how the AFC East looks with Brady being gone. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I believe a month or two ago, Clowney said he wanted to play for a contender. So that actually might be why he rejected the Dolphins offer, rather than the money.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was thinking more along the lines that he could be the first of a number of depth players that could be added instead of Clowney.  CB, WR, OL,  maybe bring Sheard back.  Hope he still gets Clowney though. 

Yup, but I just don't think this will impact any major decisions. Should be a low dollar transaction. I'm sure we'll see more deals like this. Not sure how realistic JC is to be honest. Given next year's paydays for guys coming off rookie contracts, re-ups on FAs, new FAs, etc., I just don't see JC unless they are going all in this year in a win-now mode. Sure would be interesting if it happened. 

Archived