Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This mock is post Senior Bowl, Combine, and the first week of FA. A lot of things Have transpired on our end (Desir released). I still see us signing Clowney. Not being able to bring him in for a physical is what is holding up the process. But anyways here we go. This is half what I would do and what Ballard would actually do.

R2(34): Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama- The Desir release makes CB a higher priority. Desir is an elite athlete who anticipates routes very well so we’ll be an ideal fit in zone, but has man coverage ability that needs to be sharpened. He can start immediately 

R2(44): Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame- I think Ballard will finally want his own elite TE. He was with KC who had Kelsey, and Reich was with Philly who had Ertz. Kmet needs to improve his blocking but he’s already polished as a receiver and can contribute immediately. He has pro-bowl potential.

R3(75): Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC- If there is a perfect Ballard fit in this draft, it’s Pittman. He’s tall but also an underrated route runner, comes from NFL bloodlines, was a team captain, and was a Senior Bowl guy. This is what they envisioned with Funchess, but Pittman has a higher ceiling.

R4(122): Davon Hamilton, DT/NT Ohio State- We have need for another NT with the release of Hunt. Ballard loves his Ohio State guys and Hamilton can be a good rotation piece who has high upside.

R5(160): Ben Bartch, OT Saint John’s- Developmental LT prospect from an extremely small school who also needs to hit the weight room badly. Opened some eyes at the Senior Bowl though. 

R6(193): James Madison, QB- This isn’t the QB of the future but I think you need to take a project late for depth. Jacoby is a FA next year so even if Rivers earns a 2nd contract with the Colts, you still will need another QB since Kelly is still an unknown.

R6(197): JR Reed, SS Georgia- We need safety depth and I think Reed can push Willis. He’s a really tough and smart player who had nice Combine numbers as well.

This mock is post Senior Bowl, Combine, and the first week of FA. A lot of things Have transpired on our end (Desir released). I still see us signing Clowney. Not being able to bring him in for a physical is what is holding up the process. But anyways here we go. This is half what I would do and what Ballard would actually do.

Appreciate any feedback as always!

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

QB from Florida International. Rocket launcher arm but his game is all over the place right now. Needs a lot of work. Natural playmaker though.

Oh, James Morgan... Gotcha! 

This is a realistic draft Defjamz. I wish the need for CB wasn't as high as its become; I'm still scratching my head over Desir's release and figure there must be another move coming... either a trade or someone like Clowney. 

But getting a top CB along with Kmet and Pittman would be a solid Day 2. Getting a good rotation player at NT and another at OT in Day 3 is also a likely goal for Ballard and the area of the draft where I'd expect him to do his best magic. 

Nice work and thanks for doing this. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, rock8591 said:

CB with our first pick horrible especially in a deep DT, WR, TE draft.

Swap with Neville Gallimore and I like.

Well he have Buckner now. Stewart is a good starter at nose, and we just signed Sheldon Day. I think at this point the DT spot just needs depth. Also not sure Gallimore is a scheme fit.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

I may have went top WR at 34 and a CB in the third... overall nice mock.

That was the plan originally but I think there’s a significant drop off in CB talent, plus Ballard has those specific measurements in terms of arm length that he likes on his corners and there aren’t many high quality ones after Diggs that meet the threshold. There’s Bryce Hall who is a perfect fit for our scheme but the medical might scare Ballard. He hasn’t played football or worked out since like late October.

Whereas the receiver talent is consistent throughout. Even if we miss/pass on Mims, Bryan Edwards, Pittman, Collin Johnson, etc... could still be around in rounds 3 and later.

Pick 34 needs to be a player that gets early PT.  Where does Rhodes fit in?  With Rhodes signed I think we go CB in more mid rounds.  Tell and another 3rd round rookie could learn behind Rhodes for a year.

I'd take Kmet at 34 if he was still there.  Not sure that he won't go in the 1st. 

I still think we need another 3T.  Lewis, Autry, and Sheard (part time interior rusher) are not the answer behind Buckner, IMO.

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pick 34 needs to be a player that gets early PT.  Where does Rhodes fit in?  With Rhodes signed I think we go CB in more mid rounds.  Tell and another 3rd round rookie could learn behind Rhodes for a year.

I'd take Kmet at 34 if he was still there.  Not sure that he won't go in the 1st. 

I still think we need another 3T.  Lewis, Autry, and Sheard (part time interior rusher) are not the answer behind Buckner, IMO.

Murchison...Elliott...DT3

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I figured Diggs would play early. Rhodes is older and has been banged up in the past. But Rhodes is on a 1 year deal anyways. Might as well get a corner who can both add depth and contribute early. I have no problem taking Kmet at 34 though.

Only other CB I could see Ballard being interested in late is the Iowa CB, Ojemudiah. You may even have to spend a 3rd on him though.