Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
w87r

2021 Cap Space

I've been thinking about our 2021 cap space the last few days, so I decided to take a look at it. I figured the number wpuld be pretty healthy, but was pleasantly surprised.

Right now Spotrac projects we will take $18m roll over next year.

Shows us at $142m in cap space next season.

Even if we spend all our cap this year we would be looking at $124m in space. Obviously minus any multiple year deals we might sign.(Clowney?)

Thats a healthy chunk of change.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure that number will go down a bit with other signings and after the draft.  However, a lot of complaints are going around about certain contracts like JBs. The Colts are in a great position to sign players to extensions like Darius Leonard and Braden Smith and still bring in outside players to contribute. Ballard is a good GM

• Like 5

Yeah Im sure it will go down a little, but its a nice starting point.

Really probably not much more than our draft picka though.

I don't image to many multiple year deals at this point unless its Clowney or Suh.

Should be north of $100m for sure.

The draft picks the team holds as of today, won't amount to much of a cap hit.... Less than 10m if I recall correctly.

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

The draft picks the team holds as of today, won't amount to much of a cap hit.... Less than 10m if I recall correctly.

Yeah somewhere in the $6m range

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This one says $18 mil. (Estimated cap space with All number), what gives?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

That's total amount of cap dollars spent, but in the offseason only the top 51 contracts count against the cap.

One main reason is by the time the season starts roster drop from 90 to 53 so 37 players under contract in the off season doeant make the team.

If you scroll through the 2020 cap table through all players. The players that have a line through their cap figures are players past top 51.

It will go down by quite a bit.  We've got a crap ton of key players hitting FA after this year.

JB & Rivers

TY

Houston

Autry

Hooker

Kelly

Walker

Mack

Stewart

Hooker, Kelly, Walker, and Mack are probably all guys we bring back.  And you could make some solid arguments for the others as well.

Kelly will probably get 11 M per year.

Walker will probably get around 9

Hooker will probably get 12 M a year

Mack gets 6M

That's probably 38 million right there.

Then you have to address the QB situation.  Now if they draft a QB in the 2nd round and don't bring back Rivers or JB than that won't be a big deal.  But if they bring back Rivers or JB that's another 20M at least.  Probably more.

TY could warrant probably a 15M a year for 2 years deal

So there is 73M out of it.  

Then you have to consider that it will be the last year of Leonard's, Smith's, and Turay's contracts.  

At the very least Leonard will probably get an early extension.   But all 3 are guys that are pretty key to this team.  

Glow also hits FA at this time too.  So does Hines.

Nelson would hit FA if we don't take his 5th year option but I'm pretty sure it's a given that we do. 

I wouldn't get too excited by the numbers there.  Irsay is going to have to write a lot of big checks over the next couple years to keep the core of this team together.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Irsay is going to have to write a lot of big checks over the next couple years to keep the core of this team together. 

Of course they will. Thats why it's important we have it to spend.

Which we clearly do.

I think if we dont sign Clowney we will end up carrying about $15-$20m over to next year. Giving us that $140m cap space.

Time shall see. If we sign Clowney, we probably carry over $5m or so?, but lose cap space in 2021 if its a multiyear deal.

32 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It will go down by quite a bit.  We've got a crap ton of key players hitting FA after this year.

JB & Rivers

TY

Houston

Autry

Hooker

Kelly

Walker

Mack

Stewart

Hooker, Kelly, Walker, and Mack are probably all guys we bring back.  And you could make some solid arguments for the others as well.

Mack gets 6M

Then you have to address the QB situation.  Now if they draft a QB in the 2nd round and don't bring back Rivers or JB than that won't be a big deal.  But if they bring back Rivers or JB that's another 20M at least.  Probably more.

Then you have to consider that it will be the last year of Leonard's, Smith's, and Turay's contracts.  

At the very least Leonard will probably get an early extension.   But all 3 are guys that are pretty key to this team.  

Nelson would hit FA if we don't take his 5th year option but I'm pretty sure it's a given that we do. 

I wouldn't get too excited by the numbers there.  Irsay is going to have to write a lot of big checks over the next couple years to keep the core of this team together.  

12 for Hooker and 9 for Walker seems high to me. Glowinsky will probably be replaced with a draft pick if he plays anywhere similar to 2019. But yeah , we have what looks like a nice group of young players that will take money to sign. 

But don't forget the cap will probably be higher and if we draft our QB of the future this year , there should be plenty of cap room again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

JB & Rivers

TY

Houston

Autry

Hooker

Kelly

Walker

Mack

Stewart

Mack gets 6M

Unless there is an upgrade I see Stewart returning too.

23 hours ago, dw49 said:

12 for Hooker and 9 for Walker seems high to me. Glowinsky will probably be replaced with a draft pick if he plays anywhere similar to 2019. But yeah , we have what looks like a nice group of young players that will take money to sign. 

But don't forget the cap will probably be higher and if we draft our QB of the future this year , there should be plenty of cap room again.

You would be surprised.  12 puts Hooker at #6 right now among safeties.  At the end of the next offseason  it will likely be further down, 8 to 10.   12 would be about right for an above average starter.  

9 for Walker put's him at 15th among Inside Linebackers.  That would be about average starter.  

I can certainly see Glow being replaced which is why I didn't mention a figure for him.  But given that he's a starter his departure is notable.  

50 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

You would be surprised.  12 puts Hooker at #6 right now among safeties.  At the end of the next offseason  it will likely be further down, 8 to 10.   12 would be about right for an above average starter.  

9 for Walker put's him at 15th among Inside Linebackers.  That would be about average starter.  

I can certainly see Glow being replaced which is why I didn't mention a figure for him.  But given that he's a starter his departure is notable.  

He'll need to play a whole lot better to get that kind of money. Besides the fact that he looks to be just "OK" , he has durability issues. 

JB & Rivers.. JB will be gone, Rivers for 1 more 25 million year if 2020 is good.

TY- He's in a 3 year 45 million range.

Houston- I doubt he's more than a 2 year deal guy at this point, about 20 million if 2020 is good.

Autry- Good guy to have, but not at huge dollars. 3 year 20 million (most likely he goes)

Hooker- Good enough for a decent payday. 4 year 45 million.

Kelly- I see him as a good to very good but not great center. 5 year 55 million type.

Walker- 2 year 12 million

Mack- Running backs are a dime a dozen. Cap friendly 4 year 25 million or he walks.

Stewart- 1 year 5 million, most likely he walks.

Leonard- He gets a new deal and a fat one. 5 year 85 million

16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

JB & Rivers.. JB will be gone, Rivers for 1 more 25 million year if 2020 is good.

TY- He's in a 3 year 45 million range.

Houston- I doubt he's more than a 2 year deal guy at this point, about 20 million if 2020 is good.

Autry- Good guy to have, but not at huge dollars. 3 year 20 million (most likely he goes)

Hooker- Good enough for a decent payday. 4 year 45 million.

Kelly- I see him as a good to very good but not great center. 5 year 55 million type.

Walker- 2 year 12 million

Mack- Running backs are a dime a dozen. Cap friendly 4 year 25 million or he walks.

Stewart- 1 year 5 million, most likely he walks.

Leonard- He gets a new deal and a fat one. 5 year 85 million

Thats around $90m before Leonard extension. Out of $118m before roll over $.

I dont think TY is anywhere near 3yr $15m/per. He can walk at that number imo. Maybe $12m/per?

Stewart can walk at $5m

Mack, will most likely be gone.

Anyway it goes, it seems we are in great shape to keep this team together for a while.