Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
CR91

Rock is grinding

Recommended Posts

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  Rock was looking very comfortable out there the last 4-5 games.

 His 40 time was not good enough, yet it looked like to me he was flipping his hips and staying with or catching back up to fast receivers. He had a couple spot perfect throws landed on him but he was right on top of he guy. 

 It looks like he is getting his body and mind ready. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

  Rock was looking very comfortable out there the last 4-5 games.

 His 40 time was not good enough, yet it looked like to me he was flipping his hips and staying with or catching back up to fast receivers. He had a couple spot perfect throws landed on him but he was right on top of he guy. 

 It looks like he is getting his body and mind ready. lol

Yup, he's only a 4.5 guy, but he is game fast. His late season improvement was pretty dramatic, and showed in his weekly PFF gains. I think he'll take another nice step forward after a year in the scheme, and now that we have a good 3T. That said, I still think we need a true cover corner. Rock can absolutely be very good, but I'd prefer he be the CB2. Hoping his physical nature can offset his lack of top end speed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, atapcl said:

Counting on him to hold down one spot.


He has no choice , the real questions is who will be locking down CB#2? Currently Moore, Wilson, Tell are the other CBs we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, he's only a 4.5 guy, but he is game fast. His late season improvement was pretty dramatic, and showed in his weekly PFF gains. I think he'll take another nice step forward after a year in the scheme, and now that we have a good 3T. That said, I still think we need a true cover corner. Rock can absolutely be very good, but I'd prefer he be the CB2. Hoping his physical nature can offset his lack of top end speed.

I would agree with this.  I'm not down on him at all, it was his rookie year after all and he was thrown into the fire with little pass rush up front.  BUT, I don't see him as the top athletic, #1 CB this team needs.  It needs a shut-down guy opposite him so he can take the #2 option.  Perhaps Rock will improve and become that #1 guy but I'd still like to see us get a more dynamic option somewhere.  Then this defense would be LEGIT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Rock...I think he's going to keep getting better and better.

 

 

Also, Rap sucks nowadays....like really really bad. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would agree with this.  I'm not down on him at all, it was his rookie year after all and he was thrown into the fire with little pass rush up front.  BUT, I don't see him as the top athletic, #1 CB this team needs.  It needs a shut-down guy opposite him so he can take the #2 option.  Perhaps Rock will improve and become that #1 guy but I'd still like to see us get a more dynamic option somewhere.  Then this defense would be LEGIT.

It'll be interesting to watch. We've seen a lot of lock down CB1s that were 4.5 or slower. Richard Sherman IIRC was closer to 4.6 than 4.5. So not ruling his CB1 future out. Rock has some similar traits and style to be honest. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, he's only a 4.5 guy, but he is game fast. His late season improvement was pretty dramatic, and showed in his weekly PFF gains. I think he'll take another nice step forward after a year in the scheme, and now that we have a good 3T. That said, I still think we need a true cover corner. Rock can absolutely be very good, but I'd prefer he be the CB2. Hoping his physical nature can offset his lack of top end speed.

 

 Stephon Gilmore was a 4.4 man. No doubt a big reason he can cover.
 I was looking at possible CB with the speed, size, and arm length CB wants.
And came up with Kindle Valdor. There are very few with these traits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Love Rock...I think he's going to keep getting better and better.

 

 

Also, Rap sucks nowadays....like really really bad. 

 

Mumble rap...I just don't get it. There has to be talented rappers out there somewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Stephon Gilmore was a 4.4 man. No doubt a big reason he can cover.
 I was looking at possible CB with the speed, size, and arm length CB wants.
And came up with Kindle Valdor. There are very few with these traits.

Now that we have a hole, I need to dig more on the CB prospects. I had limited my deep dives to only a few positions this early. I was planning on deep diving in general in the next couple of weeks, but I guess I'll start with CB. The 2 I picked last year went on to do very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock came from a small school with no speed training. I think with pro training his speed could drop to under 4.50. On one of his runs at the combine he ran a 4.59 but it looked like he waited a full second at the start before he took off.  He should improve a lot this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

 

Mumble rap...I just don't get it. There has to be talented rappers out there somewhere.

Like pretty much every genre of music, to find the quality you have to go underground. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been some really good (primarily) zone CBs that run 4.5ish or worse. More about technique, spatial awareness, etc. than raw speed in zone.

 

What Ya-Sin needs is the same thing all our DBs need, a consistently, 

disruptive PASS RUSH (via the DL, not blitzing...at least when playing zone).

 

THAT, at least on D, is what CB needs to fix. D-Buch's addition should help

some. But time will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Like pretty much every genre of music, to find the quality you have to go underground. 

Where’s the melody?

 

:lecture: Dagnabbit!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:


He has no choice , the real questions is who will be locking down CB#2? Currently Moore, Wilson, Tell are the other CBs we have.

 

Tell impressed me last year with his development and he was transitioning from S to CB.  I expect he'll continue to improve as he's a heck of an athlete, has the size Ballard likes, and seems to be a motivated guy.  Wilson had some very impressive moments in 2018 and seemed to have a set back last year.  Ballard said he was going to talk to him about his confidence and desire, but I don't doubt his physical abilities one bit.  I don't know if it was losing the vet (I think Mike Mitchell) who took him under his wing, or what... but I have a feeling the coaching staff is optimistic about Wilson.  If you asked me in  2018, I would have said I thought he had all the talent to be a very solid outside CB.

 

Moore, I like a lot, but think he's best suited to play in the slot.  I don't think Ballard would've released Desir if he didn't think we had a solution on the current roster or if he's not planning on bringing someone in through draft or FA.  Let's not forget, Desir was a journeyman before he came to Indy (a couple years being a healthy scratch w/ CLE and then to SEA as a practice squad guy).  We've got a few other CBs currently who have similar resumes to what Desir had before he came here and did well in 2018.  Ballard seems to have very specific traits he looks for in CBs.  I think we're going to be OK (if we stay healthy, especially if our pass rush improves).

 

20 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would agree with this.  I'm not down on him at all, it was his rookie year after all and he was thrown into the fire with little pass rush up front.  BUT, I don't see him as the top athletic, #1 CB this team needs.  It needs a shut-down guy opposite him so he can take the #2 option.  Perhaps Rock will improve and become that #1 guy but I'd still like to see us get a more dynamic option somewhere.  Then this defense would be LEGIT.

 

In the scheme we run, I don't know that we need a Deion Sanders like freak-athlete to be an effective #1CB.  Many say CB is one of the hardest positions to excel at as a rookie, and like you said Rock was thrown into the fire on a team w/ a below average pass rush (I mean, it seemed like after Turay went down, other teams weren't even scared of the threat of a pass rush, let alone an actual pass rush).  An improved pass rush alone should drastically help all of our DBs out.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be in the minority but I actually liked Tells rookie season more than Ya sins. I'm not down on Ya sin at all, I was just really impressed with Tell, think he could have a big season coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock will hold one spot. The other spot is open for competition, including Xavier Rhodes. Kenny has the slot. With a good pass rush the LB and DBs have a good opportunity to scoop up turnovers. My question is Eberflus creative enough in his defensive scheme and adjustments during a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...