Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
WifiGuy

Should the Colts draft a QB in the 2020 draft

Will the Colts select a QB in the 2020 draft?  

74 members have voted

  1. 1. Will the Colts select a QB in the 2020 draft to be a "franchise" QB for the Colts.



Recommended Posts

Will the Colts draft their future franchise QB in the 2020 draft?    It's a yes or no question but please comment on your answer including who and when drafted.

 

Not talking about drafting as a practice squad playetr

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they might draft a QB, but that they should wait until 2021. I really like 5 QBs in that class as potential 1st rounders, as compared to 3 in this class. If we can get Trey Lance in the mid-late 1st next season, then I will be very happy, but with what will likely be there at 34, I don't like any of our options.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I think they might draft a QB, but that they should wait until 2021. I really like 5 QBs in that class as potential 1st rounders, as compared to 3 in this class. If we can get Trey Lance in the mid-late 1st next season, then I will be very happy, but with what will likely be there at 34, I don't like any of our options.

I agree if someone falls that they really like then take them, otherwise wait to to the options in next years draft. 

Just now, Jeremy Waldon said:

I agree if someone falls that they really like then take them, otherwise wait to see the options in next years draft. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we a huge hole now at CB, we'll need to take one in the 2nd if we can't find a FA.... 

So doubt we can even entertain a QB early. If we can find a CB in FA, then:

 

If Love is there at 34 yes

If they can get Gordon at 121 (or maybe 75), then maybe.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only if JB is a goner and Hurts is available.

Right now we must add a WR in rd 2

And a CB in 2 also

And a T and TE soon after.

 I would bet they would love to add one of the TOUGH, athletic DT in rd 2.

  lol  CB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to say right now but with a glaring needs at WR and CB right now, I think it would be a good idea to fill those holes in the draft. As others have said the top 4 QB's will probably be gone before our first pick so I don't know if I trust the remaining options to be the QB of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO, unless this staff is hell bent on one being a difference maker at 34.  If not, you have potential future All Pros or at least future probowlers with these picks as it’s a deep draft.  I know most will call me a homer but the below guys could’ve had so much more success in college if wasn’t for bad QB play & playing a player out of position due to team needs!!!  All three had not only good workouts but GREAT workouts at the combine & at Sr bowl practices!!!  CB are you listening???  Rivers loves his TE and BIG targets, enter our 2nd rd picks and if used properly I believe TPJ could’ve been a 1st rd grade.  The South Bend Beat writers shared multiple reports from the Senior bowl practices that TPJ is stealing the show and even had an INT in the game!  Claypool along with Kmet should both have 1st rd grades if it wasn’t for Book losing all conf in his abilities.  Both could be ALLPRO in the right situation, let’s hope it’s ours!

 

Cole Kmet - 34

Chase Claypool - 2nd rd

Troy Pride Jr - 3rd rd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt it to be honest. I don’t think we will find a QB to lead this team. When we pick a WB which will likely be after round 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think the most likely (maybe only) QB pick by Ballard in this draft could be a Day 3 "shot in the dark" guy in Round 6 or 7. And even that would probably be contingent on CB signing more free agents at other positions before the draft.

 

It could be they're perfectly comfortable with Kelly as #3 at this point in time. Especially with Jacoby still on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Rivers and Brissett both on one year deals I highly doubt Ballard will be drafting a QB this up coming draft. 

IMO Rivers was signed to be the starter this season with Brissett the back up. 

If Rivers earns another contract he will get it. 

Ballard will begin working on the QB position at the end of next season. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a fairly even poll.

 

after hearing Reich presser has your mind changed one way or the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a player that the coach and GM believe in falls to 34 than yes.  

 

Otherwise don't force it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If a player that the coach and GM believe in falls to 34 than yes.  

 

Otherwise don't force it.  

Exactly. I think Rivers was signed to be the band aid while Ballard works to find the next long term QB. We have 1 1/2 years for that to happen. It don't necessarily have to be the draft either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. I think Rivers was signed to be the band aid while Ballard works to find the next long term QB. We have 1 1/2 years for that to happen. It don't necessarily have to be the draft either. 

 

We should offer Bill O'Brian a 5th round pick for Deshaun Watson.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

We should offer Bill O'Brian a 5th round pick for Deshaun Watson.  

I’ve actually read that he might want out as well.  Idk if it’s legit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all about Kelly. If a guy drops that they believe is better, and could run this team after a year+ of seasoning, then yes. Otherwise stay the course and see how Kelly progresses this year. Maybe, just maybe, they already have their future QB on this team. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is little doubt Brissett will be traded.  You can't take a player and make him a starter, then a backup, then a starter, then a backup and expect him to want to be on the team long term.  Especially when he is making 21 mill a year.  They other thing is the Colts aren't going to draft a QB, keep Brissett, and hope their drafted QB can stay on the practice squad or carry three QBs on active roster.  So all signs point to Brissett being cut or traded.

 

So then I would expect a guy like Anthony Gordon to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.  Gordon is my favorite because of his quick decision making, release, and accuracy.  All the things that Brissett isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

We should offer Bill O'Brian a 5th round pick for Deshaun Watson.  

Well played!!        :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I’m a lifelong Chargers fan who has decided to follow Philip Rivers  to the Colts. I just want to say, you guys are getting a heck of a quarterback. I am excited to watch him play behind that great Colts O-Line! The Chargers O-Line was flat out terrible in 2019. I expect Philip to take the Colts deep into the playoffs! Enjoy - I know I will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

We should offer Bill O'Brian a 5th round pick for Deshaun Watson.  

Nah. Watson is more helpful to the Colts right where he is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think there is little doubt Brissett will be traded.  You can't take a player and make him a starter, then a backup, then a starter, then a backup and expect him to want to be on the team long term.  Especially when he is making 21 mill a year.  They other thing is the Colts aren't going to draft a QB, keep Brissett, and hope their drafted QB can stay on the practice squad or carry three QBs on active roster.  So all signs point to Brissett being cut or traded.

 

So then I would expect a guy like Anthony Gordon to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.  Gordon is my favorite because of his quick decision making, release, and accuracy.  All the things that Brissett isn't.

Why would anyone trade for JB, a Backup, making $21 million- when Winston and Newton haven't found teams as FA?????

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

They other thing is the Colts aren't going to draft a QB, keep Brissett, and hope their drafted QB can stay on the practice squad or carry three QBs on active roster.  So all signs point to Brissett being cut or traded.

Who says they are drafting a QB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Why would anyone trade for JB, a Backup, making $21 million- when Winston and Newton haven't found teams as FA?????

Even if he is traded, doesn't mean he'll cost the receiving team 21M. A decent portion of his salary is already guaranteed, so any trade is likely to reduce the cost. No team will want him for 21M though... 

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Who says they are drafting a QB?

Who says they are not? I doubt it happens, but if the right guy falls to 34, while unlikely, it's easy to see them pulling the trigger. Not saying mocks mean a lot, but there are certainly enough of them that have the Colts still taking a QB.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Even if he is traded, doesn't mean he'll cost the receiving team 21M. A decent portion of his salary is already guaranteed, so any trade is likely to reduce the cost. No team will want him for 21M though... 

 

Ok- let me rephrase it, leaving out the Salary: 

Why would anyone trade for JB, a Backup?  Winston and Newton haven't found teams, as FA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Ok- let me rephrase it, leaving out the Salary: 

Why would anyone trade for JB, a Backup?  Winston and Newton haven't found teams, as FA.

IMO, it would be about need and price for teams, and about situation for Winston and Newton.

 

With the glut of QBs, there are some downright strange situations this year lol.... Winston and Newton will both be looking to go to a situation with weak starters IMO. A team interested in JB are likely in possession of their franchise QB, and looking for a conservative and steady back up. Unless the right guy drops, I'm assuming Indy will just keep JB. Might as well get something for all the money, even if it's just a quality backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Who says they are not? I doubt it happens, but if the right guy falls to 34, while unlikely, it's easy to see them pulling the trigger. Not saying mocks mean a lot, but there are certainly enough of them that have the Colts still taking a QB.

Trying to figure out what Ballard is going to do is next to impossible. 

I am not sure he will be drafting for what we as fans think is need, he may just go BPA as far as I know. Their BPA board will not match what most draft gurus boards will be either. 

I am a little concerned with players being drafted this year because of the lack of seeing some of these players in person and eye to eye. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, it would be about need and price for teams, and about situation for Winston and Newton.

 

With the glut of QBs, there are some downright strange situations this year lol.... Winston and Newton will both be looking to go to a situation with weak starters IMO. A team interested in JB are likely in possession of their franchise QB, and looking for a conservative and steady back up. Unless the right guy drops, I'm assuming Indy will just keep JB. Might as well get something for all the money, even if it's just a quality backup.

What I meant is:  logically- if JB is good enough for a team to want him enough to offer a trade, then we need to keep him.  What I fear is- no other team sees him as good enough to offer anything for his services.  He sounds like a great guy for the locker room, but not a winning QB. To me, it appears the rest of the NFL has his tendencies figured out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we throw that term "franchise" around pretty loosely these days. Those are really rare birds -- Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and a small number of others, many in the twilight of their careers. A true franchise QB is a guy you build your franchise around. Just because a guy is your starter doesn't make him a franchise QB. The Colts have had one true franchise QB in their years in Indy (and would have had two if Luck had stuck around a bit longer). The rest, as much as we've loved 'em or hated 'em, have been JAGs. 

 

There is really only one "franchise" prospect in the 2020 draft (Burrow), and maybe a second (Tua, if he can keep all of his body parts working). The rest? Maybe someone will rise to the occasion. Maybe not. Who knows?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Nah. Watson is more helpful to the Colts right where he is. 

 

??? Watson isn't helpful to the Colts.  Bill O'Brian certainly is helpful to the Colts.  But Watson's a good player who just had his best receiver given away for a used piece of chewing gum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I think we throw that term "franchise" around pretty loosely these days. Those are really rare birds -- Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and a small number of others, many in the twilight of their careers. A true franchise QB is a guy you build your franchise around. Just because a guy is your starter doesn't make him a franchise QB. The Colts have had one true franchise QB in their years in Indy (and would have had two if Luck had stuck around a bit longer). The rest, as much as we've loved 'em or hated 'em, have been JAGs. 

 

There is really only one "franchise" prospect in the 2020 draft (Burrow), and maybe a second (Tua, if he can keep all of his body parts working). The rest? Maybe someone will rise to the occasion. Maybe not. Who knows?

 

Franchise QB means you keep the guy around long term as a starter.  

 

Since good QB's are so limited in number and having one is so vitally important to winning, any good QB is going to be kept around for a long time.  

 

Hence the reason why the only time good QB's hit free agency is when they are old (35+) and are rarely traded.   Kirk Cousins is probably the best QB in recent memory to ever hit be a free agent under the age of 35.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Isnt Kelly running out of practice squad time?

 

No not at all.

 

Eligibility for the practice squad is anyone who hasn't accrued more than 2 seasons on the active roster or more than 3 seasons on the PS.  

 

I am not exactly sure how many weeks you have to stay to accrue a season but I think it's like 5 or 6.  Based on that I think Kelly has only 1 season of practice squad experience (with the Colts) and a season of active roster experience with the Broncos. 

 

The other thing to consider is that at the end of last year Kelly was kept on the active roster for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Trying to figure out what Ballard is going to do is next to impossible. 

I am not sure he will be drafting for what we as fans think is need, he may just go BPA as far as I know. Their BPA board will not match what most draft gurus boards will be either. 

I am a little concerned with players being drafted this year because of the lack of seeing some of these players in person and eye to eye. 

Purely my opinion, but Ballard has always mixed "need" into his picks. We can all debate BPA stuff, but he's never picked a guy early that wasn't a big need. My only true complaint is his taking 4 early DEs early (first 3 rounds), and not getting what I would call comparable production out of them. Basham and Lewis both look to be misses. Turay at least looks to be good on rush packages. Still have zero clue on Banogu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not unless they find a guy they really like.  My guess is if they felt that way they wouldn’t have gone in on Rodgers and kept Brissett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jimmy g said:

What I meant is:  logically- if JB is good enough for a team to want him enough to offer a trade, then we need to keep him.  What I fear is- no other team sees him as good enough to offer anything for his services.  He sounds like a great guy for the locker room, but not a winning QB. To me, it appears the rest of the NFL has his tendencies figured out.

Keep him, trade him, really doesn't matter to me. If we need to free up $ for a legit FA, I'm good with that. If we end up taking a QB in the draft, I"m OK with letting him go (trade or simple cut). If we'er not doing either of those things, might as well keep him and have a solid back up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but Ballard has always mixed "need" into his picks. We can all debate BPA stuff, but he's never picked a guy early that wasn't a big need. My only true complaint is his taking 4 early DEs early (first 3 rounds), and not getting what I would call comparable production out of them. Basham and Lewis both look to be misses. Turay at least looks to be good on rush packages. Still have zero clue on Banogu.

It’s always BPA that fits a need, it’s what Polian and others do.  I remember Polian explained it on his radio show once like if the best player on the board was a QB (this was back in the days of Peyton) they would first try to trade back but if that didn’t work you take the next guy on your board who fills a need.  You don’t take a guy who will just take up space on your roster because he was the best guy available.  He just referred to it as BPA because BPA that fills a need a was too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s always BPA that fits a need, it’s what Polian and others do.  I remember Polian explained it on his radio show once like if the best player on the board was a QB (this was back in the days of Peyton) they would first try to trade back but if that didn’t work you take the next guy on your board who fills a need.  You don’t take a guy who will just take up space on your roster because he was the best guy available.  He just referred to it as BPA because BPA that fills a need a was too long.

I agree, but many have this purist view of BPA and don't really understand it's a mix. I also think some GMs have differing views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I agree, but many have this purist view of BPA and don't really understand it's a mix. I also think some GMs have differing views.

I agree I think some just go with the simplified view because it’s well simple.

 

i also agree some GMs have a different view and I also think we all need to remember they have 32 different sets of grades and they can be radically different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

The Colts have had one true franchise QB in their years in Indy

I guess we use different labels. I remember 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • By now, we should be smart enough to just go look at the numbers, the deaths, the active cases, the recovered and make up our mind. You should not be reliant on media reporting for just the numbers aspect of it, just my take on it. I can bring up the news network that you did not mention as well and poke holes in them as to what they do not provide coverage on as well but this is not the thread for it.   I go here and just look at the numbers every day and make up my mind based on all the categories:   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/   As my posts suggest, if we are smart about it and plan it out well, I do not see a reason for no football. 
    • its about the numbers, 22 players on the field isnt a lot but 70,000 in the stands is
    • The odds a vaccine are not high. I'm just going to say it (again) you're all being lied to at a incredible rate about this virus and the simplest answer, given that they're usually right, is that it's an election year.  The corporate media (comcast, disney ect) have an agenda and bias and the current admin doesn't share it. Why won't any of the ABC, NBC, CNN of the world report the death rate as opposed to saying "the death rate doesn't matter" and tabling the number? Why won't any of them talk about the border? Or what of New Mexico and their policy that's different from Arizona or Texas?  The virus spreading among people who aren't at severe risk is actually a good thing- sorry Tony Fauci (he needs fired for the lies, the spin, the just getting it wrong and then blaming people who notice this.. he sucks). That is if we'd like to get back to normal- which get's back to it's an election year. Now if you don't mind I'm going to check the Premier League standings, or any number of other leagues the world over that's not based out of a country with an election this year. The lies. The damned lies.   
    • Yes, and that's exactly what they did! https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-icloud-warrant-coverup-20200710-luc6jyesjjes5e3l56g4bpbnqm-story.html   Video evidence, Instagram DMs, testimony show payoff cover-up for DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar, further implicate NFL players in crime. The warrant allegedly shows witness Dominic Johnson oversaw the payoff of DeAndre Baker’s and Quinton Dunbar’s four alleged victims at the office of Dunbar’s attorney, Michael Grieco.    Dominic Johnson Instagram DM: “I made them same n----s that said they got robbed come in and say them Boys ain’t have nothing to Do with it.” Baker DM to Johnson: "Yo I’m in the city now getting cash how much to bring ?? I’m tryna get there too u ASAP.”   Unnamed team sources, asked for comment on our breaking news, said they would not expect DeAndre Baker to remain on the Giants roster much longer.”
    • I think they maybe need to do an NFL cheating cost/benefit analysis
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...