Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funch to GB

Mr.Debonair

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not worried. TY, Doyle, Campbell, Pascal, and Hines are 5 quality targets. We'll add somebody at X and perhaps Fountain will turn into a quality WR4 or 5. Folks forget we did well in 2018 with what is likely a worst cast of pass catchers.

And what happens if one of those get injured? With ty’s Recent history it’s likely to happen once again. Campbell and fountain are unproven. Doyle lol com’on man he’s not putting fear in anyone. WR and TE should be addressed in the 2nd rd. There’s nobody left in FA wr/TE wise. Go ahead sign Clowney and a corner, so we can stock up on offensive playmakers in draft. So tired of ty not getting any help outside. Just fix it already. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Z - Hilton, Fountain

X - Pascal, Dulin, Williams

Slot - Campbell, Hines

Rivers can win with that.

Having said that I bet Ballard drafts a true X and a Z/Slot guy this year as well and lets them compete.

Based on what Reich and Ballard said last year, they had planned to work Campbell to the outside as the season went along.

I'd list it like this:

Z/traditional slot

TY

Campbell

Fountain

X/Bully Slot

R2 draft or FA

Pascal

R5 or R6 round draft

5 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

And what happens if one of those get injured? With ty’s Recent history it’s likely to happen once again. Campbell and fountain are unproven. Doyle lol com’on man he’s not putting fear in anyone. WR and TE should be addressed in the 2nd rd. There’s nobody left in FA wr/TE wise. Go ahead sign Clowney and a corner, so we can stock up on offensive playmakers in draft. So tired of ty not getting any help outside. Just fix it already. 

They aren't giving up on TY or Campbell yet. 

Doyle was a PB guy only a few years ago. Not scary with JB I agree, but much more productive with Rivers. And I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a TE.

Like I said, add an X (like Claypool or Pittman) on the other side to go with TY.

52 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree, the world isn't ending with our current WR situation... but going into this offseason the positions of utmost concern on this team were IDL, QB, WR and TE (maybe could argue that edge rusher sneaks in there somewhere).  We've addressed IDL and QB.  The next logical steps would be to address the WR and TE positions.  It's not like the sky is falling with our current WR mix, but IMO, it is not clear cut between WR and TE for the weakest group on this team.  

QB is only a one year gig, so to me, it's not removed from consideration. You're forgetting CB which is now arguably the biggest hole on the team. 

WR - our existing group is arguably better than 2018 if healthy. Definitely need an X opposite TY or whoever is playing Z.

TE - I'd love Kmet, but I could also see them rolling with MAC and Doyle. Rivers barely used TE last year. We could see Rivers favor a guy like Hines similar to what he did with Ekeler.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

WR is a BIG NEED.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Signed now.

1.) Hilton

2.) Pascal

3.) Campbell

4.) Inman

5.) Fountain

Hilton is a stud WHEN healthy.

Pascal can be solid on occasion

Inman is reliable

Campbell and Fountain are complete unknowns..

Probably bottom 10 WR group in the league....

ballard get rivers some people who can catch the ball

I assume they are consulting with Rivers and committed to getting the support he needs.  If Rivers felt he really needed Funchess they would have gone after him.  

You all saw that highlight reel with Mike Williams jump balls but there are more impressive highlights involving small unknown receivers. 

I trust Ballard, Reich and Rivers to make sure Colts have the weapons they need. 

1 minute ago, MacDee1975 said:

The question was “who will Rivers be throwing to”

So that’s who he’ll be throwing to.

Got it. 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Are you liquored up or just plain _______? 
 you are fired

y

What was wrong with what I said besides the missing apostrophe in “we’re?” That’s what I meant to put

52 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Trade up to around the 20th pick and select J. Jefferson.  My favorite WR in the draft.

Joseph

This is from Irsay on the front page:

"I know Colts fans are excited, I know everyone questions, 'Should we have traded the 13th pick? Is Philip Rivers, is that really the guy?' You don't know. I mean, you don't know what's gonna happen. … (But) we're just so much better now, Colts fans. … I told Chris Ballard, I said, 'Look, the best thing we do is you draft great young players, and Frank Reich the coach loves to coach young players, and he's not afraid of that.' So some of this, on the Buckner thing you could say it's a little contrarian to our principles — it is, but (it's) not … It's just the bottom line is that when you look at it, it's just something that we're so much better and we still have seven picks, including 34 and 44, and so there's other trades that Chris and I and Coach (Reich) have locked down under the hood over, and sometimes I have to say if it gets super radical — 'cause we had a super radical thing going down — and Chris and I and Frank really huddled hard, and we always come out 3-0. We do. We support each other, and I support them. But sometimes — sometimes, as Bill Tobin once said — owners own."

I don't know what the bolded actually means, but I take it as there's a good shot we'll see other trades this offseason or on draft day.  I don't know if it would mean we'd give up those picks to move higher, or we'd dump them to gather more picks later in the draft.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They aren't giving up on TY or Campbell yet. 

Doyle was a PB guy only a few years ago. Not scary with JB I agree, but much more productive with Rivers. And I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a TE.

Like I said, add an X (like Claypool or Pittman) on the other side to go with TY.

Doyle also made the probowl last year (though I'm not sure he deserved to).  That said, when Reich talks about Rivers, he talks about a QB who can get the ball down the field.  Doyle is a short yardage/possession type of TE who is a very solid blocker.  He's not a guy who is really known to stretch the field.  I will be very shocked if they don't get a TE who is more of a receiving threat and who can spread the field to compliment Doyle before next season starts.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

QB is only a one year gig, so to me, it's not removed from consideration. You're forgetting CB which is now arguably the biggest hole on the team. 

WR - our existing group is arguably better than 2018 if healthy. Definitely need an X opposite TY or whoever is playing Z.

TE - I'd love Kmet, but I could also see them rolling with MAC and Doyle. Rivers barely used TE last year. We could see Rivers favor a guy like Hines similar to what he did with Ekeler.

I think we'll certainly see Hines' role in the offense increase as he continues to develop.  That said, just because Rivers didn't use a TE that often last year, doesn't mean Reich won't.  

The year he was OC in San Diego, Antonio Gates had 69 receptions and 12 TDs.  That same season (2014-15) Ladarius Green was used very heavily as a blocking TE.

In 2016-17, when Reich was with the Eagles, he had Zach Ertz and Brent Celek.  Ertz had 78 receptions.  Celek played in every game and had 14 receptions, being primarily used as a blocking TE.

In 2017-18, again with the Eagles, Ertz had 74 receptions.  Celek had 13 receptions and again was primarily used as a blocker.

In 2018-19, Ebron had 66 receptions.  With Doyle hurt, Hewitt and MAC were primarily used to help block with minimal impact on the passing game.

In 2019-20,  Ebron (and the Colts passing game) had a down year with 31 receptions (while missing quite a bit of time), while Doyle had 43 receptions and also spent a lot of time blocking (Ebron had slightly more receptions than Doyle when he got hurt).

Anyway, just because Rivers didn't use a TE very often last year, doesn't mean that TE is not a vital part of a Reich-lead offense.  Every time he's been an OC or a head coach, the TE position has played a major role in the offense, typically with one guy being a dominant receiver and another being more of a blocker.  I doubt that he's going to change his philosophy.  Granted, Reich's gotten lucky with some very good receiving/athletic TEs (Gates, Ertz and Ebron his first year).  I like Doyle, he's been a great Colt... but he doesn't fit that athletic/spread the offense type of TE which Reich has had everywhere else he's been and up until Ebron got hurt last year.

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, I don't think QB is no longer a concern/consideration... but if he stays healthy, Rivers is our fix for this year.

I am more optimistic that we'll see improvements from Ya-Sin and Tell, and that we'll still get solid play from Moore II.  I also don't think Ballard/Reich have given up on Q. Wilson quite yet.  Sounded last year like Reich thought his problems were more lack of confidence than lack of talent.  We surely need depth at CB, but in terms of starting talent (assuming good health), I like our CB position over the WR position.  Though, with improved QB play, maybe Reich is confident he can scheme some of our guys open and this group can perform similar to 2018.

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

This is from Irsay on the front page:

"I know Colts fans are excited, I know everyone questions, 'Should we have traded the 13th pick? Is Philip Rivers, is that really the guy?' You don't know. I mean, you don't know what's gonna happen. … (But) we're just so much better now, Colts fans. … I told Chris Ballard, I said, 'Look, the best thing we do is you draft great young players, and Frank Reich the coach loves to coach young players, and he's not afraid of that.' So some of this, on the Buckner thing you could say it's a little contrarian to our principles — it is, but (it's) not … It's just the bottom line is that when you look at it, it's just something that we're so much better and we still have seven picks, including 34 and 44, and so there's other trades that Chris and I and Coach (Reich) have locked down under the hood over, and sometimes I have to say if it gets super radical — 'cause we had a super radical thing going down — and Chris and I and Frank really huddled hard, and we always come out 3-0. We do. We support each other, and I support them. But sometimes — sometimes, as Bill Tobin once said — owners own."

I don't know what the bolded actually means, but I take it as there's a good shot we'll see other trades this offseason or on draft day.  I don't know if it would mean we'd give up those picks to move higher, or we'd dump them to gather more picks later in the draft.

Doyle also made the probowl last year (though I'm not sure he deserved to).  That said, when Reich talks about Rivers, he talks about a QB who can get the ball down the field.  Doyle is a short yardage/possession type of TE who is a very solid blocker.  He's not a guy who is really known to stretch the field.  I will be very shocked if they don't get a TE who is more of a receiving threat and who can spread the field to compliment Doyle before next season starts.

I think we'll certainly see Hines' role in the offense increase as he continues to develop.  That said, just because Rivers didn't use a TE that often last year, doesn't mean Reich won't.  

The year he was OC in San Diego, Antonio Gates had 69 receptions and 12 TDs.  That same season (2014-15) Ladarius Green was used very heavily as a blocking TE.

In 2016-17, when Reich was with the Eagles, he had Zach Ertz and Brent Celek.  Ertz had 78 receptions.  Celek played in every game and had 14 receptions, being primarily used as a blocking TE.

In 2017-18, again with the Eagles, Ertz had 74 receptions.  Celek had 13 receptions and again was primarily used as a blocker.

In 2018-19, Ebron had 66 receptions.  With Doyle hurt, Hewitt and MAC were primarily used to help block with minimal impact on the passing game.

In 2019-20,  Ebron (and the Colts passing game) had a down year with 31 receptions (while missing quite a bit of time), while Doyle had 43 receptions and also spent a lot of time blocking (Ebron had slightly more receptions than Doyle when he got hurt).

Anyway, just because Rivers didn't use a TE very often last year, doesn't mean that TE is not a vital part of a Reich-lead offense.  Every time he's been an OC or a head coach, the TE position has played a major role in the offense, typically with one guy being a dominant receiver and another being more of a blocker.  I doubt that he's going to change his philosophy.  Granted, Reich's gotten lucky with some very good receiving/athletic TEs (Gates, Ertz and Ebron his first year).  I like Doyle, he's been a great Colt... but he doesn't fit that athletic/spread the offense type of TE which Reich has had everywhere else he's been and up until Ebron got hurt last year.

I just think we have a lot to cover, and now less draft picks (no 13), and more holes (cutting Desir). 

On TE... Many were hyping MAC's development before last year. He didn't even really get a chance given how bad the QB situation got, and JB's inability or unwillingness to throw to the seam.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Rivers will not be happy with that group.  TY is double teamed.  He needs a guy that can take away the double team.  

Dulin was the small school stud who was beating double teams. He was on an NFL roster all year last year learning the ropes. He certainly has the size and speed to play the X. Will he take it to the next level? Maybe, maybe not. 6'1" and 215lbs with 4.43 speed

Pascal was ODU's all time leading receiver who broke out with Brissett throwing him the rock.....6'2" and 219lbs and 4.55 speed

Williams is Grambling's all time leading receiver who had a decent rookie season with the Cardinals but was on PS all of last year. 6'1" and 204lbs and 4.43 speed

Fountain was always known as a project coming out of UNI.....he paid his dues on the PS and was showing out in OTA's and Mini Camp until the 1st Preseason game when he got hurt.....up til that point he had 5 catches for 63 yards against the Bills 1's and 2's......6'2" and 210lbs with 4.46 speed

They are all of good size, Fountain, Williams and Dulin are the superior athletes while Pascal is a swiss knife who is also one heckuva blocker. They all have the ability to play in the NFL and with a better QB throwing them the rock who knows what can happen.

Ballard has mentioned the depth in this draft so while they may like the "potential" of all 4 of these guys adding competition will only make everyone better, including the product on the field.

11 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, I don't think QB is no longer a concern/consideration... but if he stays healthy, Rivers is our fix for this year.

I am more optimistic that we'll see improvements from Ya-Sin and Tell, and that we'll still get solid play from Moore II.  I also don't think Ballard/Reich have given up on Q. Wilson quite yet.  Sounded last year like Reich thought his problems were more lack of confidence than lack of talent.  We surely need depth at CB, but in terms of starting talent (assuming good health), I like our CB position over the WR position.  Though, with improved QB play, maybe Reich is confident he can scheme some of our guys open and this group can perform similar to 2018.

I'm confident in Moore and Rock looking better with the addition of Buckner, but Tell is not someone we can rely on to take over coverage duties. He's a S switching to CB, and didn't play a lot last year. We've got to add someone.

On WR, I think everything depends on how he views TY, Campbell, and Fountain. I think we all know they aren't giving up on Campbell. Not sure how they view TY's health. They seemed very high on Fountain before his injury, and frankly I like his chances to be that 3rd guy in the Z/slot bucket. So if we all agree they aren't cutting TY, Campbell, or Pascal, that leaves 2-3 openings. I'd bet on Fountain taking one of those slots so long as he's fully recovered. If that's the case, it's all about adding a good X.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Based on what Reich and Ballard said last year, they had planned to work Campbell to the outside as the season went along.

I'd list it like this:

Z/traditional slot

TY

Campbell

Fountain

X/Bully Slot

R2 draft or FA

Pascal

R5 or R6 round draft

I agree on the Z list and you could add Williams and Dulin to the X list plus the two draft picks like Higgins/Mims/Claypool/Shinault/Aiyuk/Reagor in the 2nd round And a Tyler Johnson or Darnell Mooney in the 5th or 6th.

That would be healthy competition and produce a really good supporting cast for Rivers.

9 minutes ago, atapcl said:

We didn’t get much from Funchess and he was not a 13 mil talent with the Panthers.

We didn’t pay him $13 mil.   He’d only get that if he hit incentives which he clearly didn’t.   He got hurt in the first game of the season.

We paid him $10 mil.   We will never know if he was worth it due to injury.

43 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree on the Z list and you could add Williams and Dulin to the X list plus the two draft picks like Higgins/Mims/Claypool/Shinault/Aiyuk/Reagor in the 2nd round And a Tyler Johnson or Darnell Mooney in the 5th or 6th.

That would be healthy competition and produce a really good supporting cast for Rivers.

We have zero 6-3 or bigger WRs on the roster, and that's what we need at X. I'm OK with a smaller guy so long as he's fast and good vs the press. Dulin should not be an X IMO. 

I think it would be fun to see Zach with Rivers in that 2nd or 3rd spot. I could see him really having even a better year. I would love to have Claypool or Mimms. I just don’t like having to rely on a rookie. Dulin, Fountain, and even Campbell are all unproven. That’s why it would be nice to have a vet. Think we can get Williams from the chargers. Lol

IU grad Cody Latimer is out there and has size though he has been a disappointment after being a RD 2 pick, has trouble with a complex playbook. He had his best season catch wise and yardage wise .

Chris Hogan is still out there, had a down year after leaving the Pats but a down field threat that could thrive with Rivers and come inexpensively.

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think he was ever expected to be much more than a 4th or 5th WR.  He's shown some flashes, but yea, I don't think he's a guy we can rely on as a surefire solution to the WR position.

I think that is inaccurate. I think CB said this kid was as talented as any 1st rd kid but needed much more polishing. If he was able to reach that potential, he was a high ceiling kid. That doesn’t sound like an expected 4 or 5 guy to me. 

4 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

WR is a BIG NEED.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Signed now.

1.) Hilton

2.) Pascal

3.) Campbell

4.) Inman

5.) Fountain

Hilton is a stud WHEN healthy.

Pascal can be solid on occasion

Inman is reliable

Campbell and Fountain are complete unknowns..

Probably bottom 10 WR group in the league....

Inman can probably be had about at any time. He seems to be either a Charger or a Colt option. He was steady and reliable, not taking over any games but I like him for just a “do your job” kind of guy 

and everyone thought we had a top 5 WR stable before the season started last year too. Not all things are as they seem in the nfl. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

How are we including Fountain or Campbell? Neither has done diddly

Because these too have tremendous talent. None of the 2020 top draft prospects have done squat yet either and how many people are salivating over certain prospects? Because they have tremendous upside. 

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

WRs currently on the Colts' roster:

TY Hilton

Parris Campbell

Zach Pascal

Ashton Dulin

Daurice Fountain

Steve Ishmael

Chad Williams

Malik Henry

Rodney Adams

Artavis Scott

(Adams and Scott were signed at the end of the season to future/reserve contracts)

If that is what we go into the year with and they are healthy, I’m good with that group. Draft the receiver TE and weapons are going to be plenty for Rivers. 

Archived