Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts were never enamored picking 13


Recommended Posts

 I don’t care about the QB situation at all.  I don’t care if Rivers does great this season. I will still hate him. His Charger teams took joy away from me. This pick was going to be a defensive player. Ballard eluded so during a press conference. It assured me we’d finally be getting a DT no matter. I hope this trade works for us. Defense might take a whole jump next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH, if we were looking for a player to come in and make an immediate impact at a position of need, the 13th pick wasn't going to cut it.

 

I've seen people complain about how long the "rebuild" is taking but wanted us to take a developmental QB at 13?  Weird.

 

We got more value from that 13th pick than we were gonna get drafting a player who either wasn't going to start or be a rotational player for the first couple of years.

 

All of this will stop once Buckner comes in and people realize how having a legit DT will transform our defense.

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean he talked about how much he valued the role of the 3-tech in the defense. So if that was your biggest priority and you had the 13th overall pick to try and solve that issue, this was easily the best solution. You could have drafted Kinlaw who had a high chance of being there or you could get the 2nd best DT in football. 
 

Do idk if it’s fair for Keefer to say that they weren’t enamored with picking 13. I’m sure they had players in mind. Remember what Ballard said about getting premium players. It’s just that Deforest Buckner was more enticing than anyone you could have gotten at that pick.

 

And in a year with the Corona virus shaking things up, this is the perfect year to go with a proven player over an unknown draft pick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, a06cc said:

 I don’t care about the QB situation at all.  I don’t care if Rivers does great this season. I will still hate him. His Charger teams took joy away from me. This pick was going to be a defensive player. Ballard eluded so during a press conference. It assured me we’d finally be getting a DT no matter. I hope this trade works for us. Defense might take a whole jump next season. 

"Alluded" ...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, EastStreet said:

I think the title of the thread "Colts were never enamored picking 13" is just a guy's opinion based off of Keefers opinion lol. I've said several times the Buckner trade was a no brainer, but I don't know necessarily means they didn't like what might have been there at 13. Just means Buckner was too good to pass up.

 

On 3/24/2020 at 10:52 AM, EastStreet said:

I think it was all opinion about what Keefer thought the FO thought.... Did Keefer site any sources? I don't have a sub to the Athletic anymore.

 

"This was the time to do it. Never all that enamored with their spot in the coming draft — the Colts were set to pick 13th, and they expected most of the top quarterback prospects to be gone in the top 10 — this trade, the more they thought about it, was too good to pass up. At the end of the day, it was hard for the Colts to picture whomever they got at 13 giving them what Buckner will for the next five years, perhaps longer."


"But Rivers’ arrival doesn’t mean Brissett is out the door. The Colts paid Brissett’s $7 million bonus this past weekend, and according to a team source, the plan moving forward includes keeping Brissett as the team’s backup quarterback. Ballard learned the hard way in his first season in Indianapolis, when he failed to upgrade behind Luck during the spring and summer of 2017."


"When Luck wasn’t ready for the opener, he had to watch Scott Tolzien start in Los Angeles in Week 1. We all know how that went. Ballard threw his pen across the press box the minute Tolzien’s first pass was returned for a pick-six. The Colts lost, 46-9. Brissett started seven days later."


"Since then the Colts’ GM has insisted on having a viable backup on the roster, even turning down tempting trades for Brissett in the spring of 2018 when Luck was on his way back. This current situation isn’t all that different. Rivers hasn’t missed a game due to injury his entire career; he’s also 38. Ballard isn’t taking chances. He wants Brissett there if disaster strikes."


"Irsay put it years back: “Having a good backup quarterback is priceless, it helps you sleep at night.”

 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, EastStreet said:

No worries. Keefer is pretty decent, but he is prone to opinion and heavy use of "sources" without saying who. IMO, doesn't matter. I'm pleased as punch to have Buckner. Big price, but we needed a 3T badly, and needed a proven guy now. 

 

He mentioned in the article it was team sources.  I think naming them dries up your water faucet to future team inside info.

 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, ColtJax said:

The only thing I'm surprised about is Ballard not being able to squeeze a 4th round pick out of San Fran in the deal. He had to know they couldn't afford Buckner. He's worth the 1st round pick, just a little surprised..

 

As many point out, there are other teams interested. You don't want to get in a bidding war with them.  Just get it done for fair value. The thing is, they want to be setup and a winning club, while they plan for acquiring their much needed franchise QB.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this. Knowing we have now an All pro DT in Buckner is good but let's sure do hope this pans out right. Trading the 13th overall pick for a guy that will have really maybe 5 good years left since he just entered his prime and everyone knows when you hit 30 you're not that same player. If they weren't enamored with the pick they could have traded down. I know some team would possibly want to trade up to grab Lamb, Ruggs or Jeudy even in a deep WR draft. Personally I like the trade and I don't. I see pro's and con's of it. I think it will boost the defense but also I think this is a type of trade you make when you know you're right there. I don't think Rivers and Buckner puts us there. We can possibly win the division. But I still think Ravens, Chiefs, Pittsburgh, Bills are better than us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

But I still think Ravens, Chiefs, Pittsburgh, Bills are better than us. 

How sweet is it to NOT include the Pats in that list for a change? :cheers:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Big Ben was in the same draft as Rivers plus he was injured last year. Why is Pittsburgh better than us? I’m not buying that.

Their defense is Legit Legit. Colts isn't as good yet. Plus Steelers will be more potent than when Big Ben gets back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 13th pick is very valuable and Ballard gave it up for a player he’s going to pay $20 million a year. So many great blue chip prospects are going to be available there at 13. I understand why he traded it but I completely disagree with the decision. 

 

If the player the 49ers draft at 13 goes on to have a great rookie season on a rookie contract and Buckner has just a good season Ballard is going to have to answer for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, CR91 said:

And then the next OBJ is drafted at #13 smh. But honestly CB hit a grand slam HR. I think he won Exec of the year minus the Rivers trade lol (S.Day, Buckner, Rhodes) and only giving up one 1st rounder.?

 

All of the mentioned players can ball. Especially, Especially, Especially a motivated Rhodes. Some folks are sceptical but did you see the PITTSBURGH game? Who picked the Colts off for a pick 6? Mankah Fitzpatrick who wanted out of Miami.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

And then the next OBJ is drafted at #13 smh. But honestly CB hit a grand slam HR. I think he won Exec of the year minus the Rivers trade lol (S.Day, Buckner, Rhodes) and only giving up one 1st rounder.?

 

All of the mentioned players can ball. Especially, Especially, Especially a motivated Rhodes. Some folks are sceptical but did you see the PITTSBURGH game? Who picked the Colts off for a pick 6? Mankah Fitzpatrick who wanted out of Miami.

I think its way to early to crown Ballard and I'm a pro Ballard guy. I don't get the hype with Rhodes. Yes he was good years back but he will be 30 this year and lost his step plus been injured the past 2 years. He's not a game changer anymore. Also Rivers is an upgrade but he doesn't have the weapons like he had in LA. To count on Campbell and some rookies I'm not putting my trust in just yet. I'm not trying to sound like a debbie downer but Im looking at this realistically. But i will also admit when I'm wrong. Rhodes and Rivers could have a great year but time will only tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I think its way to early to crown Ballard and I'm a pro Ballard guy. I don't get the hype with Rhodes. Yes he was good years back but he will be 30 this year and lost his step plus been injured the past 2 years. He's not a game changer anymore. Also Rivers is an upgrade but he doesn't have the weapons like he had in LA. To count on Campbell and some rookies I'm not putting my trust in just yet. I'm not trying to sound like a debbie downer but Im looking at this realistically. But i will also admit when I'm wrong. Rhodes and Rivers could have a great year but time will only tell.

 

Rivers (5-11) > LA Chargers (5-11) ? Nope LA Chargers > Rivers. jbh especially if you look at the body of work since 2006, I think the Chargers who's had players like:

Quentin Jammer, a young Antonio Cromartie, Takeo Spikes, Merriman, LT, GAtes, DT Corey Liguet, DE Luis Castillo, CB Brandon Flowers, even WRs Kennan Allen, David Boston (HELLO), countless pro bowlers on the oline (OG Luis Vasquez i believe), Vincent Jackson,  Sproles, man I could go on and on about the talent level the Chargers has had over Rivers career. At this point including last year (5-11), giving Philip Rivers $25 million dollars is an absolute hell marry or absolute wishful thinking. I think Chargers as a team is much better than there 5-11 record. And as the Starting QB, the QB usually bears the credit (see Peyton Manning without a decent Oline just as Rivers) and goes down with the ship or gets credit when things go well.

 

Perfect example, NYG beating Patriots in the Superbowl. IF Eli doesn't win he would be the equivalent of QB Jimmy G right now. But because Eli won the SB, he's given all the credit. So in this situation, Rivers has to take the fault/credit going (5-11) just as JB going (5-2) and just like Jimmy G loosing the SB.

 

The last time the Chargers parted ways with a starting QB was Drew Brees but that was due to injury. The difference here is that Rivers wasn't injured like Brees, and to a lesser extent jb (5-2) who was injured. The Chargers has always been good enough to beat the Colts but not good enough to beat the best teams (Pitts, NE, Balt,) and who gets credit for this? Philip Rivers

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

And then the next OBJ is drafted at #13 smh. But honestly CB hit a grand slam HR. I think he won Exec of the year minus the Rivers trade lol (S.Day, Buckner, Rhodes) and only giving up one 1st rounder.?

 

All of the mentioned players can ball. Especially, Especially, Especially a motivated Rhodes. Some folks are sceptical but did you see the PITTSBURGH game? Who picked the Colts off for a pick 6? Mankah Fitzpatrick who wanted out of Miami.

Huh?

 

What in the world does Minkah Fitzpatrick getting a puck 6 have to do with Xavier Rhoades?   That they’re both....   motivated?
 

Oh Dear God!  You can’t be serious?  :facepalm:
 

One is young and in his Prime.  The other is pushing 30 and his best years are likely behind him.   The Vikings have been a playoff caliber team.   Wasn’t Rhoades motivated for them?

 

Look, I like Rhoades and I’m glad we signed him.   But let’s not get carried away please. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

 

"This was the time to do it. Never all that enamored with their spot in the coming draft — the Colts were set to pick 13th, and they expected most of the top quarterback prospects to be gone in the top 10 — this trade, the more they thought about it, was too good to pass up. At the end of the day, it was hard for the Colts to picture whomever they got at 13 giving them what Buckner will for the next five years, perhaps longer."


"But Rivers’ arrival doesn’t mean Brissett is out the door. The Colts paid Brissett’s $7 million bonus this past weekend, and according to a team source, the plan moving forward includes keeping Brissett as the team’s backup quarterback. Ballard learned the hard way in his first season in Indianapolis, when he failed to upgrade behind Luck during the spring and summer of 2017."


"When Luck wasn’t ready for the opener, he had to watch Scott Tolzien start in Los Angeles in Week 1. We all know how that went. Ballard threw his pen across the press box the minute Tolzien’s first pass was returned for a pick-six. The Colts lost, 46-9. Brissett started seven days later."


"Since then the Colts’ GM has insisted on having a viable backup on the roster, even turning down tempting trades for Brissett in the spring of 2018 when Luck was on his way back. This current situation isn’t all that different. Rivers hasn’t missed a game due to injury his entire career; he’s also 38. Ballard isn’t taking chances. He wants Brissett there if disaster strikes."


"Irsay put it years back: “Having a good backup quarterback is priceless, it helps you sleep at night.”

 

 

He mentioned in the article it was team sources.  I think naming them dries up your water faucet to future team inside info.

 

 

As many point out, there are other teams interested. You don't want to get in a bidding war with them.  Just get it done for fair value. The thing is, they want to be setup and a winning club, while they plan for acquiring their much needed franchise QB.

Like I've said, Buckner for 13 was a no brainer vs anything except Burrow or Young, especially given our longstanding need for a quality 3T. Opportunity met need perfectly.

 

And sorry, but in general, "team sources" is used more than house of ill repute on payday. Can't be disproved, even it's the janitor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

"But Rivers’ arrival doesn’t mean Brissett is out the door. The Colts paid Brissett’s $7 million bonus this past weekend, and according to a team source, the plan moving forward includes keeping Brissett as the team’s backup quarterback. Ballard learned the hard way in his first season in Indianapolis, when he failed to upgrade behind Luck during the spring and summer of 2017."


"When Luck wasn’t ready for the opener, he had to watch Scott Tolzien start in Los Angeles in Week 1. We all know how that went. Ballard threw his pen across the press box the minute Tolzien’s first pass was returned for a pick-six. The Colts lost, 46-9. Brissett started seven days later."


"Since then the Colts’ GM has insisted on having a viable backup on the roster, even turning down tempting trades for Brissett in the spring of 2018 when Luck was on his way back. This current situation isn’t all that different. Rivers hasn’t missed a game due to injury his entire career; he’s also 38. Ballard isn’t taking chances. He wants Brissett there if disaster strikes."


"Irsay put it years back: “Having a good backup quarterback is priceless, it helps you sleep at night.”

Read this folks. This is the truth that has been said. It isn't hard to grasp, once you take out your own emotion/wants/needs. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Read this folks. This is the truth that has been said. It isn't hard to grasp, once you take out your own emotion/wants/needs. 

Yep

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

:spit::lol:

 

Sorry... love this. May well steal it.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

... or maybe you meant Hail Mary?

Do you do this every day? I mean the Hell vs Hail Marry stuff? I mean let me know once you are ready to be an adult and discuss football. Oh looky looky, someone mis-spelled something without using auto-correct. I must be fortunate that I spelled something correctly. Aren't I special...

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

 

What in the world does Minkah Fitzpatrick getting a puck 6 have to do with Xavier Rhoades?   That they’re both....   motivated?
 

Oh Dear God!  You can’t be serious?  :facepalm:
 

One is young and in his Prime.  The other is pushing 30 and his best years are likely behind him.   The Vikings have been a playoff caliber team.   Wasn’t Rhoades motivated for them?

 

Look, I like Rhoades and I’m glad we signed him.   But let’s not get carried away please. 

Are you finished with whining? Oh gosh? Oh lord? oh I know nothing about football. Some players want a change of scenery to perform well. 

 

A player at a new city is always motivation to play well, especially if you picked the team to join.

 

Motivation also comes once you are healthy. "Oh lord" "oh gosh"

 

BTW Rhodes cost 1/5th of Rivers and do you believe Rivers will perform 5x better than Rhodes (barring injury)? Let's not get carried away here.

 

Rhodes among other things was not always seeing eye to eye with coaches. So yes, a healthy motivated Rhodes is a great thing to have.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Do you do this every day? I mean the Hell vs Hail Marry stuff? I mean let me know once you are ready to be an adult and discuss football. Oh looky looky, someone mis-spelled something without using auto-correct. I must be fortunate that I spelled something correctly. Aren't I special...

 

Calm down.  I actually really thought it was a 'funny play on words', and I liked it. I might even use it myself someday. 

 

OTOH, I've seen Siri and auto-correct mash things up, so I politely asked later. But either way I personally find it a funny play on the phrase.

 

Please don't feel disrespect. Or get worked up as it doesn't affect me, only you. It's not worth it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Calm down.  I actually really thought it was a 'funny play on words', and I liked it. I might even use it myself someday. 

 

OTOH, I've seen Siri and auto-correct mash things up, so I politely asked later. But either way I personally find it a funny play on the phrase.

 

Please don't feel disrespect. Or get worked up as it doesn't affect me, only you. It's not worth it.

No Worries. All football here.Colts and.. The U! lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I read this board I've learned Ballard is screwed no matter what he does.  He simply cannot make the fan base happy no matter what.  So he may as well do what he thinks is best because someone isn't going to like every move or non-move he makes.  If he isn't spending cap dollars he's "Not trying hard enough".  If he does he's "making the wrong moves".  I thought the goal was to improve the talent, improve the team?  He's TRYING to do that.  Besides, the offseason is like 2 weeks old!  We haven't even had the draft yet or hit the 2nd wave of FA.  Many more moves could still be made.  Maybe Jacoby restructures his deal to become more cap friendly?  Who knows?  Let's give it a chance and let this thing play out.  Remember, we as fans don't have all the info that CB has, and most of it will never be made public.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, will426 said:

Why does everyone even assume he ever thought of drafting a qb in the first period? 


they scouted them pretty heavily, and that’s a known fact. That doesn’t mean they were thinking about drafting one, but they were exercising due diligence with the position early this offseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

As I read this board I've learned Ballard is screwed no matter what he does.  He simply cannot make the fan base happy no matter what.  So he may as well do what he thinks is best because someone isn't going to like every move or non-move he makes.  If he isn't spending cap dollars he's "Not trying hard enough".  If he does he's "making the wrong moves".  I thought the goal was to improve the talent, improve the team?  He's TRYING to do that.  Besides, the offseason is like 2 weeks old!  We haven't even had the draft yet or hit the 2nd wave of FA.  Many more moves could still be made.  Maybe Jacoby restructures his deal to become more cap friendly?  Who knows?  Let's give it a chance and let this thing play out.  Remember, we as fans don't have all the info that CB has, and most of it will never be made public.

From what I've heard Rhodes had an offer from Minn and decided to play for the Colts. 

 

When was the last time a player turned down their original team to play for the Colts? Even when CB finally get a guy for 1 year on the cheap, some folks still are not happy. And I mean cheap. 

 

Who would have been the #1 CB for the Colts? Tell/Rock/Moore? Well we got a former All Pro / Pro Bowler for $5 Mill. That should say alot about CB and the Colts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

From what I've heard Rhodes had an offer from Minn and decided to play for the Colts. 

 

When was the last time a player turned down their original team to play for the Colts? Even when CB finally get a guy for 1 year on the cheap, some folks still are not happy. And I mean cheap. 

 

Who would have been the #1 CB for the Colts? Tell/Rock/Moore? Well we got a former All Pro / Pro Bowler for $5 Mill. That should say alot about CB and the Colts.

 

Could have always been Xavier Rhodes. I hear his name... then this 2013 scenario comes rushing back into my head.

 

"With the 23rd pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select... Sharriff Floyd, DT; Florida!"

 

Eruption from Colts fans.  Many shouting 'Hey, we're getting the FSU kid.  The CB, Xavier Rhodes!!"

 

Grigson, yes, we're taking the FSU kid... but not the CB!!

 

"With the 24th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts select... Björn Werner, DE; FSU."

 

Deep sighs, mumblings and grumblings from many. Others are scrambling the web for info. Meanwhile-

 

"With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select... Xavier Rhodes, CB; FSU.

 

Well, at least he eventually came here, in 2020 for his 8th season. But there was a chance long ago for him to always have been our CB.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Grigson, yes, we're taking the FSU kid... 

 

"With the 24th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts select... From FSU Björn Werner, DE."

 

"With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select... FROM FSU Xavier Rhodes, CB.

 

Well, at least he eventually came here, in 2020 for his 8th season. But there was a chance long ago for him to always have been our CB.

THIS lol

 

(*thinking to myself like "you stupid money-flower")

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, ColtJax said:

The only thing I'm surprised about is Ballard not being able to squeeze a 4th round pick out of San Fran in the deal. He had to know they couldn't afford Buckner. He's worth the 1st round pick, just a little surprised..

 

SF had no picks in rounds 1-4 before the Indy trade.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


they scouted them pretty heavily, and that’s a known fact. That doesn’t mean they were thinking about drafting one, but they were exercising due diligence with the position early this offseason. 

They kinda do that all the time though with pretty much all players Cb has been pretty direct with what he wants/needs 

Just now, dw49 said:

 

SF had no picks in rounds 1-4 before the Indy trade.  

Only reason he didn’t get more I assume as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, will426 said:

They kinda do that all the time though with pretty much all players Cb has been pretty direct with what he wants/needs


Yeah. But I think it’s telling that they scouted certain qb’s publicly with their head coach and Ed Dodds, and a month later brought in a veteran qb in free agency... and traded their first round pick. I know some say it’s not mutually exclusive and that Buckner was too good to pass up... but we did pay him $21 million a year that has some a little unsure of. It all is correlated, I’m positive of. My personal feeling is that they scouted the qb’s they felt would be there. Realized they either a) were too good to go outside of the top 10 (which is what Keefer reported) or b) weren’t worth a first round grade (which is how I feel Love was viewed from this front office). That led to the Buckner trade workings. Which led to the Rivers deal. 
 

i don’t know if that was the plan, but I’m positive Ballard had a plan going into this offseason, and knew he had several options for all key positions. Which includes bringing more weapons in on offense, which I think Ballard will hit hard with pick 34 and 44 (and I think we’ll get significant value at those spots this draft)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That’s like saying the Colts were nothing without Peyton.  Well they had him so they were something.
    • Just what was reported earlier in the week
    • Is there any update on him?
    • Going into the draft, Turay was known more for his run D than pass D off the Edge, but still with explosive traits. Basically said he was terrific chasing down the run and setting the edge, but was rigid rushing, and lacked a go-to pass rush move. The time training in the offseason really benefited him. IMO, he's got a pretty good shot at becoming a 3 down guy. At least more than our other young options at DE. Houston, before last week, was 10th in the league at pass rush win rate. He fell out of the top 10 after last game. We have no other players ranked higher. He's a classic tweener like Autry. IMO Autry is better at DE than 3T, but Lewis might be better at 3T than DE. 
    • I think its a matter of the precious match up game.  Changing plans with the Doyle/MAC/Burton role playing messes up the whole offense.  Too much precision.  Too much planning.  Can't mess up The TE rotation or it messes too many other things up.  Just a theory.   I think the philosophy is to let the LTs do LT stuff.  If Clark isn't working out, put in Green.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...