Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts were never enamored picking 13

CR91

CB is a smart guy, and I trust his judgement on this one. I also happen to agree with him. We got a proven dominant player at a critical position for our defense as opposed to a chance at a player who may or may not be a good NFL player.

I rolled my eyes at all the so called draft experts having us take flawed Jordan Love at 13, was never happening in a million years. Not NFL ready and may never be. Derrick Brown was a great option BUT likely wouldnt have fallen. Javon Kinlaw was a realistic option but Buckner is a sure thing.

I think the title of the thread "Colts were never enamored picking 13" is just a guy's opinion based off of Keefers opinion lol. I've said several times the Buckner trade was a no brainer, but I don't know necessarily means they didn't like what might have been there at 13. Just means Buckner was too good to pass up.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the title of the thread "Colts were never enamored picking 13" is just a guy's opinion based off of Keefers opinion lol. I've said several times the Buckner trade was a no brainer, but I don't know necessarily means they didn't like what might have been there at 13. Just means Buckner was too good to pass up.

Article also mentioned the colts didn't see any of the top QBs falling outside of the top 10 so perhaps to them 13 was expandable

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Article also mentioned the colts didn't see any of the top QBs falling outside of the top 10 so perhaps to them 13 was expandable

I think it was all opinion about what Keefer thought the FO thought.... Did Keefer site any sources? I don't have a sub to the Athletic anymore.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it was all opinion about what Keefer thought the FO thought.... Did Keefer site any sources? I don't have a sub to the Athletic anymore.

Sorry. I don't either

Just now, CR91 said:

Sorry. I don't either

No worries. Keefer is pretty decent, but he is prone to opinion and heavy use of "sources" without saying who. IMO, doesn't matter. I'm pleased as punch to have Buckner. Big price, but we needed a 3T badly, and needed a proven guy now. 

I can see that...especially if he didn’t think he could get the QB he wanted.

He was likely looking at maybe a top WR (but he can get one at #34), an OT that is somewhat of a luxury...a DE with potential knee issues...or a hodgepodge of similarly-ranked players. Buckner is the real deal...and fills a massive void on the DL.

1 minute ago, will426 said:

Why does everyone even assume he ever thought of drafting a qb in the first period? 

Because they all know what CB is thinking.  That is why there were numerous threads about the possibility of the Colts trading for Buckner, weeks before it happened.

Just in case, the above is sarcasm.

24 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The only thing I'm surprised about is Ballard not being able to squeeze a 4th round pick out of San Fran in the deal. He had to know they couldn't afford Buckner. He's worth the 1st round pick, just a little surprised..

One doesn't go buy a new Porsche and try and "squeeze" the dealership for a free tank of gas.

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

One doesn't go buy a new Porsche and try and "squeeze" the dealership for a free tank of gas.

I agree. There would have been plenty of suitors wanting Buckner.  I couldn’t believe it when he fixed our Oline and now he’s fixing our Dline right before our eyes.

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

This tells me that he wasn’t interested in picking a WR high like Lamb or Jeudy with 13. Probably unsure about Kinlaw. The QB he may have wanted would be gone. 

Hey, I did call into sports talk radio and say "QB before WR because a guy like Peyton or a very good QB can make WRs like Garcon and Blair White look better than they are". Maybe he listened and wanted to wait on WR later. :D j/k

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Hey, I did call into sports talk radio and say "QB before WR because a guy like Peyton or a very good QB can make WRs like Garcon and Blair White look better than they are". Maybe he listened. :D j/k

He did. He told me he values your opinion. Lol

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Why does everyone even assume he ever thought of drafting a qb in the first period? 

They had to do something and will draft a qb at some point.  This isn't the greatest class of qbss it's just the year we needed one, good thing some vets were available

I think part of this decision to deal the 13th overall pick for a proven player also came from the fact that during this quarantine time, front offices can't really get to know a player like they usually do through the interview process. That is so critical in the draft process. A lot of decisions to draft a player is based off of what they read from that player when meeting with him. 

With Ballard dealing his 1st rounder for Buckner, he doesn't have to worry about that, and is instead getting a proven leader and pro bowl player at age 26. 

I'm curious to see if this trade is discussed when the Colts do their video series about the draft this year like they did last year.  That series was verey revealing as far as the thought process and everything that went on behind the scenes prior to the draft.

I'm not surprised.  And when this potential trade came up it was a no-brainer for him.  And if he REALLY wants to get back into the 1st round for somebody he has the hots for, he has both 2nd rounders he can dangle.  Personally I don't see it.  I think he sits tight and takes two pretty good players, a CB and a WR, in the 2nd.

16 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm not surprised.  And when this potential trade came up it was a no-brainer for him.  And if he REALLY wants to get back into the 1st round for somebody he has the hots for, he has both 2nd rounders he can dangle.  Personally I don't see it.  I think he sits tight and takes two pretty good players, a CB and a WR, in the 2nd.

I don't have a clue on what Ballard will and wont do. He has already done a couple of things here in the last week or so no one thought he would do. 

Anticipating or speculating what Ballard is going to do keeps things interesting but the reality of it all is, we don't know. 

19 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

“One” wouldnt have to.  
Even The used cars leave the lot with full tanks.  I’ve never bought a car where the dealer didnt fill the tank.  I thought that was standard practice.

Bought a Q5 two years ago and got them to throw in snow mats, roof rack, trunk mat, and some “t-shirts.”

At signing, the sales guy said they “had no shirts, sorry.”  He wasnt smiling when i stood up and said the deal was off. After a ......... pause...... (for effect), i signed.

Funniest part was i found a Audi shirt with the dealer name with the matss, rack, etc.  When i called the sales guy, he said it was to be given to a new sales guy who started the following week.  Haha!  He STOLE the new guy’s work shirt!

The moral of the story is..” you never know until you ask.”  And “dont trust sales reps around clothing”, i guess.

I made this comment repeatedly.  For months people were talking about QBs as if we had our choice at 13.  It made little sense.  Certain fans may have been high on Love, but the Colts obviously weren't, so outside of Love, there was nothing there.  

Now with the likelihood off no offseason training and who knows about camp, I doubt they take a QB.  He'll have no time to learn and train in the system anyway.  You might as well push it back a year and keep working with Kelly.  

On 3/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, holeymoley99 said:

I rolled my eyes at all the so called draft experts having us take flawed Jordan Love at 13, was never happening in a million years. Not NFL ready and may never be. Derrick Brown was a great option BUT likely wouldnt have fallen. Javon Kinlaw was a realistic option but Buckner is a sure thing.

At first I wasn't happy with losing the pick but then I sat and thought about it and I said the same thing you are we got a sure thing player at a critical position of need significant upgrade to our D-line for number 13 overall that's a steal honestly cause I thought for him they would have required 2 firsts to get him.

Archived