Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Ballard just Meh?

Jdubu

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2020 at 9:55 PM, JohnnyGringo said:

Ballard is my favorite gm in the league. There is not one thing I don’t like about him as a gm. He’s up front about everything he’s doing, has a clear plan to success, is an amazing scout, brings in good people and learns from his mistakes. It’s not been easy for him either. Losing luck to injury and then retirement and having a coach drop out last minute are not easy obstacles to overcome. This roster is night and day from the Grigson regime and I couldn’t be happier with our gm. Out of interest, would you rather have running the show in Indy?

Welcome to the board Chris. Don’t hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I definitely don’t dislike you, I think it’s fair to question some of your moves though. Nobody is perfect. Event the great BB. It’s all good though 

50 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Welcome to the board Chris. Don’t hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I definitely don’t dislike you, I think it’s fair to question some of your moves though. Nobody is perfect. Event the great BB. It’s all good though 

Thanks Mr Grigson for giving your advice. I am sure Gringo appreciates your high IQ and intelligent advice.

I'm a fan.  This roster and cap situation is way better than when Grigson was here, and I'm not pinning the QB situation on him yet because it's been less than a year since his elite level franchise guy decided to hang'em up out of the blue.  It has improved nearly everywhere else.  As far as wins, the record isn't great.  He's had some unfortunate circumstances he couldn't really control: 1) his first season was under Pagano, 2) his 1st choice for HC bailed at the 11th hour, and 3) we have already mentioned.  But the roster is better, and from my standpoint, continues to get better by the month.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, coltsfanatic24 said:

This year will tell everyone all we need to know about Ballard. Personally, I’m not a fan because of the recent moves he’s made. 

Why don’t you share with the class the  GMs better than him in your mind today. If Ballard isn’t even good, then there should be at least 10 or more, right?  I can’t wait to hear them.  Don’t mention Ozzie Newsome, he retired or BB because it’s a given I’m sure. 

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Why don’t you share with the class the  GMs better than him in your mind today. If Ballard isn’t even good, then there should be at least 10 or more, right?  I can’t wait to hear them.  Don’t mention Ozzie Newsome, he retired or BB because it’s a given I’m sure. 

Negative personalities can't help themselves. They always seem to overlook the positive  and just dwell on what they conceive is bad. 

Using hindsight makes it easy for them. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Negative personalities can't help themselves. They always seem to overlook the positive  and just dwell on what they conceive is bad. 

Using hindsight makes it easy for them. 

That is just like with Jacoby. I am on record still saying he played Above Average football through his first 7 games. You can't have a 5-2 record and throw for 14 TD's and only 3 INT's and not consider that at least Above Average play from your QB. I still get flack for my thoughts on that from some. I also have said he was Below Average the final half of the season which he was and I have never said he is a franchise QB either. Signing Rivers is the upgrade we needed. Some people just read what they want and are negative about it. Regarding Ballard, anyone that doesn't think he is a Good GM makes me laugh homer simpson lol GIF

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is just like with Jacoby. I am on record still saying he played Above Average football through his first 7 games. You can't have a 5-2 record and throw for 14 TD's and only 3 INT's and not consider that at least Above Average play from your QB. I still get flack for my thoughts on that from some. I also have said he was Below Average the final half of the season which he was and I have never said he is a franchise QB either. Signing Rivers is the upgrade we needed. Some people just read what they want and are negative about it. Regarding Ballard, anyone that doesn't think he is a Good GM makes me laugh homer simpson lol GIF

The question becomes, was the decline of JB because of the injury or because the league had tape and time now to figure out his areas of weakness? If it were injury related, I don’t think CB would have moved away from JB because he would know more of the behind the scenes issues. Imho, it was JB’s limitations and skill set more than injury and that’s what forced the move to another QB. 

as for anyone on here, including my original post, nobody has said he is a horrible GM, he has made quite a few moves I’ve really liked. Making the move to get big Q was an awesome move when so many others were saying never go OG that high in the draft, I was for that move. Paying JB the money he did for last season was not needed and that’s one of the moves I disliked greatly and felt it was just not needed. Felt like he overpaid for a back up QB that was supposed to help mentor JB in the film room and in the practices. That was crazy money that didn’t pan out. Those are valid criticisms to have. 

Every GM is up for criticism with each move. If you find 100% of the fan base likes every move made by the GM, something is wrong, it doesn’t happen. 

25 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

The question becomes, was the decline of JB because of the injury or because the league had tape and time now to figure out his areas of weakness? If it were injury related, I don’t think CB would have moved away from JB because he would know more of the behind the scenes issues. Imho, it was JB’s limitations and skill set more than injury and that’s what forced the move to another QB. 

as for anyone on here, including my original post, nobody has said he is a horrible GM, he has made quite a few moves I’ve really liked. Making the move to get big Q was an awesome move when so many others were saying never go OG that high in the draft, I was for that move. Paying JB the money he did for last season was not needed and that’s one of the moves I disliked greatly and felt it was just not needed. Felt like he overpaid for a back up QB that was supposed to help mentor JB in the film room and in the practices. That was crazy money that didn’t pan out. Those are valid criticisms to have. 

Every GM is up for criticism with each move. If you find 100% of the fan base likes every move made by the GM, something is wrong, it doesn’t happen. 

Of course, Ballard isn't perfect but he is a lot better than Grigson was IMO. I ranked him an 8 out of 10 so he has flaws like any other GM. I loved the Nelson pick too and there were at least 10 good posters that were critical of it when it happened. All GM's have there hits and misses. I just rank him as Good.

40 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I agree that Ballard does deserve being criticized by the fans. It comes with the territory. 

What I am referring to is the talk of if he don't do this or don't do that his job is on the line. (stuff like that)

This expectation of I want it now and if I don't get it now then someone has to pay attitude quickly gets old and stale.

Any long term Colt fan knows Irsay is not going to pull the plug on Ballard anytime soon nor should he. 

There is a difference in being critical and being over the top like some get. 

Some act like this stuff is personal and take it as such.

Not agreeing or us having different opinions is not an excuse for being at each others throats either. 

7 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I see what's going on... We can't use Ozzie Newsome, or BB.. lol ok I'll give it a shot. Besides CB, I believe whoever the GM of the Saints is a good GM. I used to like Cardinals GM (he looked like the Big Show), but 1) I'm not sure he's still there because, 2) ever since BA left Cards, they haven't put it all together yet (minus the Hopkins trade).

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I see what's going on... We can't use Ozzie Newsome, or BB.. lol ok I'll give it a shot. Besides CB, I believe whoever the GM of the Saints is a good GM. I used to like Cardinals GM (he looked like the Big Show), but 1) I'm not sure he's still there because, 2) ever since BA left Cards, they haven't put it all together yet (minus the Hopkins trade).

No you can’t use a retired GM...sheesh. So BB, the un named Saints GM and the  Arizona guy that looks like a wrestler. So Ballard is ranked 4th best GM? That’s not meh, that’s elite.

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course, Ballard isn't perfect but he is a lot better than Grigson was IMO. I ranked him an 8 out of 10 so he has flaws like any other GM. I loved the Nelson pick too and there were at least 10 good posters that were critical of it when it happened. All GM's have there hits and misses. I just rank him as Good.

I remember, fans were saying why spend a high pick on a LG. Lol. We all know how that decision turned out (a young Larry Allen, as far as performance. Dominant)

But all in all, CB has looked pretty good as of late. Last year the Colts traded their 1st for 2 second rounders (second rounder 2019,2020). He for-go any player in 2019 1st round and received the additional pick this year 2020. 

That huge gamble has paid off hasn't it? Drafting Rock after trading down in 2019, then 2020 we have 2 second rounders after trading 1st rounder for Buckner.

If you look at that logic alone, he is not cutting any corners and affectively utilizing/maximizing team resources. He hasn't over paid for any player as of yet also.

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

No you can’t use a retired GM...sheesh. So BB, the un named Saints GM and the  Arizona guy that looks like a wrestler. So Ballard is ranked 4th best GM? That’s not meh, that’s elite.

Nice. Lol although I'm not a fan of Rivers, I truly appreciate the business savy of CB. And another thing, is that he has a strong passion about this team. Whenever you listen to CB it's like speaking to a Polian or Andy Reed. Someone who understands team building.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those first 7 games were not consistent though...you had three great games, three bad games and a decent game. 

The INT rate was great...but the TD numbers were a byproduct of playcalling (pass/run ratio) and TD distribution...9/14 TDs were from the 5 yard line or in. Mack had 3 rushing TDs...one of which was a 63 yarder. 

You could see the regression coming from a mile away...and it was already happening.

If Chris Ballard had been the GM through Andrew Luck's career, do you think the bearded wonder would still be playing football now? Do you think #12 would have had at least a SB appearance to his name?

How you answer those questions should tell you how you truly feel about CB

I like Ballard a lot, and think he is one of the better GM's. However that doesn't mean he is above criticism. I wasn't a fan of the JB contract, and more recently criticized the release of Desir. 

Overall though Ballard is very good,  and way better than Grigson. I see good things in our future!

I don’t think we should fault CB for the QB situation just yet. Luck retired unexpectedly at a ridiculously young age for a QB. 

Being patient with JB is not a failure of his albeit how frustrating it has been for the fan base. QBs are not weeds growing in your yard that shoot up overnight. They are Japanese Maples. They take time, patience, and support to grow. Using Mahomes as an example is not the right way of thinking - he is the exception, not the normal. 

Solving the franchise QB problem is obviously not a trivial exercise - considering most franchises in the NFL do not have one. Throwing QBs at the problem hoping one becomes Mahomes is what the Jaguars and Browns have done for a decade and look how well that has worked out. 

None of the greatest GMs of our generation have a 100% hit rate. Occasionally you get a Basham. But getting a Leonard where the majority of the NFL and media were mocking him for taking a small school guy that high - and looking at him now - I will take that GM every day of the week. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, Dasteez said:

I don’t think we should fault CB for the QB situation just yet. Luck retired unexpectedly at a ridiculously young age for a QB. 

Being patient with JB is not a failure of his albeit how frustrating it has been for the fan base. QBs are not weeds growing in your yard that shoot up overnight. They are Japanese Maples. They take time, patience, and support to grow. Using Mahomes as an example is not the right way of thinking - he is the exception, not the normal. 

Solving the franchise QB problem is obviously not a trivial exercise - considering most franchises in the NFL do not have one. Throwing QBs at the problem hoping one becomes Mahomes is what the Jaguars and Browns have done for a decade and look how well that has worked out. 

None of the greatest GMs of our generation have a 100% hit rate. Occasionally you get a Basham. But getting a Leonard where the majority of the NFL and media were mocking him for taking a small school guy that high - and looking at him now - I will take that GM every day of the week. 

heckuva post!   Well thought thru and written.   Thanks so much for this.

:colts:

On 3/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, Dasteez said:

Freaking truth!

It feels to me like fans putting down Ballard is like the guy in the gym shooting 3's from the corner. No one is paying attention, but when he finally hits one, he flexes his muscles for all to see. That same personality type predicts that the Leonard choice sucks....predicts that the Nelson choice was stupid .....and also has predicted that Basham will fail. They got one right so Ballard is just meh. 

We all get our own opinions. Mine is that Ballard is my favorite GM of the Colts, in the 4 decades I have been following. Whether or not that deals out success, remains to be seen. 

On 3/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he's closer to Very Good than Good.  He inherited a very depleted roster with a very suspect OL (one which probably had something to do with Luck getting hurt because they couldn't protect him).  We had a pretty porous defense.  Ballard wasn't allowed to bring his own coaching staff along with him when he took the job (not only that, but Pagano and Ballard have fundamental differences in their philosophies and schemes they like).  Luck retired somewhat out of the blue (the guy Ballard was building a team around, although, unlike Grigs, Ballard said from day 1 that he wanted a solid team that didn't have to rely on one player).  

Ballard's totally rebuilt this team (well just about) in a short time.  He had a very odd circumstance in year 2 (McDaniels) and again in year 3 (Luck).  We won a playoff game in year 2.  We were in the race until the very end last year (potentially could have been a playoff team or AFC South champ with a backup QB if we didn't see the GOAT K cost us several games).  

He said from day 1 he was going to build our trenches.  We now have a top 5 OL in the NFL and with the addition of Buckner, we should have a top 10 DL.  He's been smart with the salary cap.  He's drafted 2 guys who were all-pro in their first 2 years.  Albeit, they're not all with us, but I'm pretty sure every draft pick he has had is still in the NFL somewhere (very rare for a 3 year span).  He has us (assuming health) in a position where we should be contending to win the AFC South this year.... he did it by filling in some gaps on contracts which aren't killing our long-term salary cap or chances for success.  

He hasn't hit on everything, sure... but he's hit more than he's missed, which is something Grigs didn't do.  We have a core of young talent to build around for the foreseeable future.  We are in the best salary cap space of practically any team in the league, etc. etc. etc.  I also like Ballard for being open to the fans, sure he doesn't let everything out of the bag, but he's been pretty consistent and straightforward since day 1 in doing what he says he's going to do.

Archived