Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Ballard just Meh?

Jdubu

8 hours ago, Restored said:

I’d have to disagree about 2019. Ballard handled it fairly reasonably I think. Luck’s retirement was obviously an unforeseen circumstance. The JB extension allowed the team to show commitment in a player that they really thought highly of during an uncertain time while also being structured in a way that gave them leverage should JB have performed well.

It’s played out quite nicely either way since the Colts now have a solid backup for this coming year or can trade/release him with no long-term ramifications.

Not sure what leverage the team had here by signing him to a top 10 level QB type small contract? He played on his prior contract, we resign him into a contract extension based on his play that one season fair market real or we tag him. CB has shown he will pay you fair market. If he failed, as he did, we walk away from him without harm and he played for what he earned that season. It would also leave you room to sign him again as a back up for this season at back up money, not starters cash. Now, we either are way overpaying to keep him because he is so well liked on the team or we could try to have him take a significant pay cut to stay or we outright cut him. I don’t see the leverage. I don’t think this was handled extremely well. 

we could end up paying for JB, Hoyer and Luck while they aren’t on the team anymore. While Luck isn’t CB’s fault, those other two are. 50+ million at the QB spot. Wow 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard has definitely made his share of mistakes so far. However, he's done a lot of good as well. The concerning thing is Ballard may turn out to be a one-dimensional GM (a guy who's a skilled drafter), that will never get close to a championship because he's too nice a guy, and he only wants high character players on the team.

Both Brissett and Kelly have been handled poorly (for different reasons). Adam was allowed to ruin last year for us. We need to stop this loyalty to bad or declining players. Who cares if you trade Brissett to a situation that's good for him. He didn't earn that right, and he's an overpaid backup at this point. Trade him for whatever you can, no one will judge you. 

Although I love Buckner, we won't have a 1st round pick for two straight years now. For someone like Ballard, whose strength is the draft, that hurts the overall development of young players for the future. We can't survive on 2nd round picks. We also never know where we're picking in the future or how next year's QB class will be. We certainly aren't getting Trevor Lawrence.

He's acquired a solid number of players the last 3 years. What happens when we have to pay them? We seem like a short-term, win now team. We have band-aids at the QB position. Ballard is getting away from what made him great, the draft. Not sure if I like it.

Buckner IS this year's first round pick.  

I don't see CB doing the JB contract without Frank selling the S... out of him.

That along with the Hoyer deal has cost us a huge amount of $$$ that could have been used this FA period to add a couple more very high quality players. They scr.... the pooch.

That was MEH!

Of course i can think of $19M reasons why they got scr..... Life is tough at the top.

And we have every hope to win our division. NOTHING Meh about that!

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

There are a lot of great hits, and a lot of misses. I'd remind you that "meh", doesn't mean bad, or horrible. So mix in all the good you posted, with the bad that others have posted. To me, he's in that C+ to B range taking everything into account, and that's above average and better than most GMs out there. It's only a few more misses and losing seasons away from "meh" though, or even potentially worse.

Exactly!! Just because I’ve pointed out where I’ve seen flaws, it is posted nowhere in my post that says he is awful, he should be fired or I wished we had Grigson back. I’m not a rah rah guy and dont paint with rainbow colors. I know it was a long post but to the couple of posters who read the post and then felt it stated he didn’t fix the oline or that he sucks, can’t comprehend what they read.  They’ve predetermined that it’s not fair to say anything negative about CB or they don’t care for this posters style so it’s automatically a post they won’t like. I’m broad shouldered. I’ll survive that lol. 

46 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard is our first GM in 25 plus years to build the team from 

inside out, and is getting close to fielding a smash mouth team

he invisions. 

The team is getting stronger every year under his tutelage, other

than the QB fiasco he had to endure last season. Make no mistake,

the team is heading in the right direction.

And I do love the fact that he has finally come in with that mindset of fixing the center of the lines first. Best thing that could have happened to the team. If he gets the QB spot right soon, this team is in good shape going forward. The QB spot is what makes or breaks GM’s for the most part though. Get a great one, you make it easier to build the rest. Miss it a couple times and you aren’t going to be in the playoffs consistently and no chance at the SB and that’s how teams eventually get graded on and job security. Unless you’re Jerry Jones and own the team and act as GM too, the owner is gonna look for a new visionary to build that SB winning formula. 

25 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Buckner IS this year's first round pick.  

I know that, and I love Buckner. My issue is Buckners age combined with our QB situation. Rivers will only last another year or two at a high level, which combined with Buckner, makes us a win-now team. We don't have a 1st round pick to take a QB to develop, so anything we take is going to be in the Eason, Fromm, Gordon category. Rivers, Brissett, and Kelly's contracts all run out next year. So as of now, we have no QB beyond this year. When we have a drafted QB ready to compete, Buckner could be 30. Rivers is a temporary, win now solution that delays the development of a franchise QB, and it's going to cost us Nelson, Leonard and Buckners best years. Not sure we can win with Rivers right now. I'm also not sure how we're going to draft a decent QB this year. We literally might put it off a year which will cause us to start a rookie two years from now, and not be competitive for three years if Rivers can't take us to a title.

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

So the QB spot is still a mess and CB appears to have either poorly judged JB or panicked into a high signing price. Now he signed to Hoyer to a ridiculous signing last year to mentor and help JB in the film room now neither of them are the answer. Did he panic and bring Rivers here too under a 1 yr deal with what follow up plan? No option for if Rivers does well, we keep him. Was Rivers that highly sought after that we couldn’t do a deal that gave either team control of next year or lower money this season? I’m seriously questioning his talent for this QB search at this point. Add into this how confused many are at how Kelly was handled last season. On the 53 but never active, kept when we needed a spot and we had 3 QB’s with Hoyer being the bad option of back up. Now what do we have in him and if nothing, why in the heck was he kept at the end of the season games when we could have cut him and kept Cain or brought in someone else, CB or WR? 

im tired and don’t have energy tonight to look but CB has signed guys to decent contracts and they failed or cut right early or drafted and cut. Desir, he was talked up, given some money and cut this year. We have Basham, Banner (gone), Wilson, looks to be gone. Hooker, looks like an a great player except first year. Hairston gone. Cain was talked about like a 5 star guy and he is gone. The whole kicker ordeal last season. What’s Tyquan Lewis? 

his free agent picks?
Hankins

Simon

Webb

slauson

I know I’m missing some and didn’t include our failed ones. 

he has had some nice draft picks for sure. Much like Grigs, he couldn’t fix the oline. Polian couldn’t fix the defense near his end. Now CB hasn’t been able to solve the QB situation and he seems like he panics with availability and he has overpaid and n other areas with contract concerns. If you overpay, better get some future control. 

Idk, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has had bad luck with 2019 being an absolute disaster in every way possible, he didn’t make good choices imho. If JB is his guy but couldn’t play well because of the knee, IR him, use your high paid back up. If he can’t play because he is bad, try your project guy or bring in another guy. He didn’t manage that well. 

The WR spot just got nothing from it. Ty hurt, DF hurt D. Fountain hurt, Cain cut, Ebron quit, kept a WR that was special teams at best that eventually got hurt. Just misfortune. 

at any point, just a lot of very concerning choices and odd decisions made by CB. If I were Irsay, I’d be like dude, you’ve spent my money like a 50/50 pot was on the line. You’ve guessed wrong a lot. I need to see you do better here this year. I’ve cut you a lot of checks. 

I think it’s more you’re just meh

Ballard is considered one of the better GM's in the league.  And that isn't a reputation he got without results.

The Colts are one of the most complete teams in the league.

Think about how many rushing yards per game we had before CB and how many after.  I think Grigs had like maybe 5 or 6 games his entire time here with a player rushing for 100 yards.  On the flip side I am pretty sure Mack has had that many 100 yard games in a single season.

Think about how bad our defenses where.  Dead last in turnovers created.  CB got here and we are at least middle of the pack.

Before CB got here Andrew led the league in hits and sacks.  In 2018 he had less sacks than anyone in the league.

We went from 40+ sacks a season to less than 20.  They where best in the league in 2018 with 2 rookies up front.

If you are not sure the roster is heads and tails better now than when Grigson left here you are either not paying attention or you are not posting in good faith.

It takes more than an average GM to turn around a roster that fast.

46 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Not sure what leverage the team had here by signing him to a top 10 level QB type small contract? He played on his prior contract, we resign him into a contract extension based on his play that one season fair market real or we tag him. CB has shown he will pay you fair market. If he failed, as he did, we walk away from him without harm and he played for what he earned that season. It would also leave you room to sign him again as a back up for this season at back up money, not starters cash. Now, we either are way overpaying to keep him because he is so well liked on the team or we could try to have him take a significant pay cut to stay or we outright cut him. I don’t see the leverage. I don’t think this was handled extremely well. 

we could end up paying for JB, Hoyer and Luck while they aren’t on the team anymore. While Luck isn’t CB’s fault, those other two are. 50+ million at the QB spot. Wow 

No, it was as it was said it was. A safety contract. If JB played lights out, He was under contract. If not, JB would have been a FA this year.

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Isn't Buckner just 25?  Were any QB the Colts could conceivably draft using that pick a potential franchise QB in the FO's assessment, Ballard wouldn't have made this deal.  JMO

6 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Yes, and I believe we have him for the next 5 seasons.  Seems like a pretty good first round pick.

He turned 26 on March 17, the day after we signed him.

52 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If JB played well he becomes a FA with all the leverage and the Colts none.

Yes it cost us some money but that is something we have plenty of.

It protected us from possibly of giving JB the biggest contract in the league just to prevent him from walking.

What? Is this thread for real?

CB had a franchise QB quit just days before the season began last year.. can be maybe get more than 11 months to “fix” the QB issue?? 

It’s not like legit #1 QBs are just hanging out on every corner, they are tough to find. There’s a reason lots of high drafted QBs turn into busts.

Enough about Kelly too. 31 other teams weren’t very interested in him last year and obviously the coaching staff hasn’t seen enough. 

The Buckner trade was a win. He’s a beast. He’s the guy that will cause problems for the opposing QB. No way to know who would have been the pick at 13 but not likely to have the impact Buckner will.

Give it a rest.. CB is doing a great job, we are lucky to have him. 

15 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Isn't Buckner just 25?  Were any QB the Colts could conceivably draft using that pick a potential franchise QB in the FO's assessment, Ballard wouldn't have made this deal.  JMO

Here is the thing.  Buckner is a All Pro in his prime.  Sure we could draft a good DT at 13.  It would be unlikely that he would be as good as Buckner and almost guaranteed he wouldn't be as good his rookie year.

ballard is a pretty good gm . but people on here give him way to much credit .  i think drafting nelson and leanard gave him a pass.   looking at his other picks besides mack how many other picks were that great .    hes been here 3 seasons and has one 10-6 winning season .   this year is make or break for him .   rivers is a pick machine his arm strength is down hill and causes his own picks  .    the defense last year was ranked 18th  buckner will help but i do not see the defense being top 5.  probably will be around 11th .  

this year if the colts do not make the playoffs thats it ballard is in the hot seat after 4 years of rebuilding and still missing the playofffs no more passes.

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

What? Is this thread for real?

CB had a franchise QB quit just days before the season began last year.. can be maybe get more than 11 months to “fix” the QB issue?? 

It’s not like legit #1 QBs are just hanging out on every corner, they are tough to find. There’s a reason lots of high drafted QBs turn into busts.

Enough about Kelly too. 31 other teams weren’t very interested in him last year and obviously the coaching staff hasn’t seen enough. 

The Buckner trade was a win. He’s a beast. He’s the guy that will cause problems for the opposing QB. No way to know who would have been the pick at 13 but not likely to have the impact Buckner will.

Give it a rest.. CB is doing a great job, we are lucky to have him. 

I’m beginning to think we have too many trolls on this forum. 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

ballard is a pretty good gm . but people on here give him way to much credit .  i think drafting nelson and leanard gave him a pass.   looking at his other picks besides mack how many other picks were that great .    hes been here 3 seasons and has one 10-6 winning season .   this year is make or break for him .   rivers is a pick machine his arm strength is down hill and causes his own picks  .    the defense last year was ranked 18th  buckner will help but i do not see the defense being top 5.  probably will be around 11th .  

this year if the colts do not make the playoffs thats it ballard is in the hot seat after 4 years of rebuilding and still missing the playofffs no more passes.

And how many of those years did he have a decent QB? 1/3 so far. That can’t be understated. He had his franchise QB quit on him 2 weeks before the season. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And how many of those years did he have a decent QB? 1/3 so far. That can’t be understated. He had his franchise QB quit on him 2 weeks before the season. 

its the same with how many other gms?   we can only gauge a gm based on if he has a franchise QB?  only about 10 teams in the nfl have franchise guys.  my point is instead of trading up to draft a QB he feels the team is superbowl ready with rivers .  so if this up coming season if the colts miss the playoffs you will still be behind ballard?   

Knowing luck is injury prone he should of drafted a QB before luck retired . how many years are you willing to give him a pass? if the colts do not make the playoffs next year , how many more years of not making the playoffs will you give him? until 2025?

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

its the same with how many other gms?   we can only gauge a gm based on if he has a franchise QB?  only about 10 teams in the nfl have franchise guys.  my point is instead of trading up to draft a QB he feels the team is superbowl ready with rivers .  so if this up coming season if the colts miss the playoffs you will still be behind ballard?   

Knowing luck is injury prone he should of drafted a QB before luck retired . how many years are you willing to give him a pass? if the colts do not make the playoffs next year , how many more years of not making the playoffs will you give him? until 2025?

More than 10 team have franchise QBs.  At least 20 do.

No one drafts a new QB while their franchise guy is 29.  That would be a waste in most cases.

CB hasn't had an opportunity til now to replace his QB.  

Realistically I would say CB has 3 years.  If he doesn't have a franchise qb in house by 2022 than he will probably go.

But your expectations are ridiculous.  You want him to drop a first round QB because Andrew had some injuries behind terrible OL.  

No one in the league drafts QB in that situation because normally QB's don't retire at age 29.

13 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I had a reply all typed up, but Valpo’s post below sums up my thinking better. 

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

More than 10 team have franchise QBs.  At least 20 do.

No one drafts a new QB while their franchise guy is 29.  That would be a waste in most cases.

CB hasn't had an opportunity til now to replace his QB.  

Realistically I would say CB has 3 years.  If he doesn't have a franchise qb in house by 2022 than he will probably go.

But your expectations are ridiculous.  You want him to drop a first round QB because Andrew had some injuries behind terrible OL.  

No one in the league drafts QB in that situation because normally QB's don't retire at age 29.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I can understand your line of thought, but it's all entirely arguable/debatable. One could easily say that Ballard should have his finger on Luck's pulse over the 3 years, and managed the entire span better. One could also say given his scouting days, he should have evaluated JB more honestly (the combine/draft scouts nailed JB). And saying it worked out nicely is a horrible take lol.... Paying this much for a back up is not nice. Having a good back up is nice. Paying 15M is not nice.

How could he have had a better pulse on Luck's situation over three years? Outside of maybe a few players and possibly Luck's family, no one and I mean NO ONE had any idea Luck was going to retire when he did.

Paying that much for a backup for a season is fine when he is still capable of winning you games should something happen to Rivers. Sure, that $15 million could go to another position but I don't have any problems with it given that it's only for this coming season. Keep in mind you can still trade him or release him as well and still not have any long-term ramifications either way. I agree that they probably thought JB was better than he actually was and maybe thought Frank's system could help him ascend but it clearly only worked for about 7 games.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Drugs are bad Mmmkay...

And @Jared Cisneros you okay bro? About 95% of the time I really respect your post, but there is literal garbage spewing from them in this section. Didn't realize 25 for an All pro DT was old...

I'm fine, I love Buckner. I'm just worried the QB situation will waste his prime years, and I don't know how we're going to get a young QB that will make us contenders in a decent time frame. I guess it's wait and see. Just thinking ahead and long-term.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm fine, I love Buckner. I'm just worried the QB situation will waste his prime years, and I don't know how we're going to get a young QB that will make us contenders in a decent time frame. I guess it's wait and see. Just thinking ahead and long-term.

Its been 7 months since we lost our star QB... our 2 second rounders have the value to jump back into the top 15 picks. Even then most didn't want to draft a QB then they wanted to wait until the second round. I still wouldn't rule out Love or possibly even Herbert to trade up too. Would you have rather just waited with Brisket again and we dont get either QB?

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

You're not seeing the leverage because you aren't seeing that the Colts have zero obligations to Brissett after this season. They also agreed to that contract to have themselves be in a better position should JB had come in and played well.

I agree though that Hoyer was a very questionable move, especially in paying him the amount that they did. 

13 minutes ago, Restored said:

You're not seeing the leverage because you aren't seeing that the Colts have zero obligations to Brissett after this season. They also agreed to that contract to have themselves be in a better position should JB had come in and played well.

I agree though that Hoyer was a very questionable move, especially in paying him the amount that they did. 

Keep In mind that they needed to spend/waste some capital. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

If JB played well he becomes a FA with all the leverage and the Colts none.

Yes it cost us some money but that is something we have plenty of.

It protected us from possibly of giving JB the biggest contract in the league just to prevent him from walking.

If he played as well as you hoped in giving him the nice contract, wouldn’t you want him signed into a new 5 year contract? It was an early offering of two years, didn’t need to do it but it wasn’t crippling to the team, it was just unnecessary 

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Easton and Love are 2nd round QB'S that appear to have the arm talent to be NFL starters.  Their flaws are mostly mental.  Our coach is a former NFL quarterback.

Plus we don't know what the plans are for Kelly yet.

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If he played as well as you hoped in giving him the nice contract, wouldn’t you want him signed into a new 5 year contract? It was an early offering of two years, didn’t need to do it but it wasn’t crippling to the team, it was just unnecessary 

It is if you don't want him to have loads of leverage of he had played well.

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It is if you don't want him to have loads of leverage of he had played well.

Exactly.

Let's say JB came in and played at an MVP-type level the whole season and the Colts didn't extend him in the offseason prior. At that point, the Colts are looking at having to pay a substantial amount of money (albeit deservedly so) to keep him.

Rather, had the Colts extended him in this scenario, they would have been in a much better position financially with a QB that has performed exceedingly well.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

To me, he's in that C+ to B range taking everything into account, and that's above average and better than most GMs out there. It's only a few more misses and losing seasons away from "meh" though, or even potentially worse.

High B for me. Had Andrew not retired, he’d be talked about as the top GM in the league. That was a restart button on the rebuild, which added a few more years. His ability to pull the trades that he has is top notch, and it’s because when he calls, good gm’s listen. He creates value for both parties, and that’s how good trading is done. Most teams don’t know how, and it shows. He’s also drafted well. His one draft that had him picking at a premium netted 5 starters, possibly 6 with the 34th this year being a domino effect for that trade. He’s playing Madden in real life, he just has to figure out the QB room, which again wasn’t part of his plan when he signed up here...  his “misses” aren’t big enough to justify that kind of negative response, IMO. To each their own opinion though... 

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's acquired a solid number of players the last 3 years. What happens when we have to pay them? We seem like a short-term, win now team. We have band-aids at the QB position. Ballard is getting away from what made him great, the draft. Not sure if I like it.

What happens? We’ll do what every other properly managed team does. Figure out who is worth paying, and move away from who is not. That’s a simple answer for a complex situation that takes frugal contract workings, in (which even Ryan Grigson benefited from having Mike Bluem in his corner), frugal FA spending and solid drafting, which leads me to the next point... How in the world do you take away that he is getting away from the draft? He traded his first away, yes. For a top notch defensive tackle that wouldn’t have hit free agency, and likely would not have come here if he had. He also traded last years first round pick... which netted us the 34th pick this year. This draft is as important as last years, and I thought he did excellent then too. 

Just now, Restored said:

Exactly.

Let's say JB came in and played at an MVP-type level the whole season and the Colts didn't extend him in the offseason prior. At that point, the Colts are looking at having to pay a substantial amount of money (albeit deservedly so) to keep him.

Rather, had the Colts extended him in this scenario, they would have been in a much better position financially with a QB that has performed exceedingly well.

Big time players you never want to try and extend them while they don't have years on their contract.  Because of fears of injury, most will take less money to get the big time contract now.  If they have no years on the contract they can negotiate with other teams and will push for more money.

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

Exactly.

First of all if he was capable of playing at MVP level for a whole year then ya worth paying the money but the reality is he sucked he cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

First of all if he was capable of playing at MVP level for a whole year then ya worth paying the money but the reality is he sucked he cant hit the broad side of a barn.

He’s a “special guy” though! lol

Meh is in the eye of the beholder as to what it means.  I don't think he's meh, but several replies here just fail to see reality.

He did NOT inherit a bad situation.  Unlike most GMs, he inherited a team that was 8-8 at its five year worst.

He did NOT inherit a terrible roster.  Some in the fan base who judge everything on how strong the Oline is keep saying that Ballard inherited a bad roster just because he inherited a bad oline.  In fact, by the contracts he's about to hand out, he inherited a top 5 LT and a top 5 C, so saying that the oline was bad may not even be accurate.   Not to mention he just resigned Clark who may be finally developing over that big guy Ballard drafted his first year.  Ballard inherited a QB who held the ball too long looking for the chunk play.

Ballard inherited a bad defense and a bad defensive scheme.  Ballard himself set his timeline back by making moves to satisfy that scheme.  He signed Hankins and Simon, then cut them when he changed schemes.  He cut a good player, Henry Anderson, simply because he was not a scheme fit.  He drafted Hooker, who some fans defend the pick, was drafted to play in the 34 man, not our 43 zone....and no....our 43 man deep zone cover 1 was never the intent, but has been an after thought, IMO.

Ballard owns this defense.  Its tough to say that he is languishing under the lingering albatross the previous GM gave him.  Whatever albatross there may be, Ballard added to it himself by the decisions he made his first year here.  

The defense is coming along by making good decisions about value and player selection.  Took pick 13 to make a big step, and that's not unusual or special.

The QB situation was an unfortunate set back.  Not his fault.   But his response so far was to sign his backup to a very big contract before the backup even showed much.  Now he's now signed a 38 year old vet to an expensive contract because the unproven backup has shown he never deserved the contract.

The Colts offensive skill positions are probably worse than when he got here, considering we have one TE (the other one he signed flamed out), still no #2, and TY is probably a step slower.

The offense needs to improve the QB and skill positions.  I assume they will be addressed this draft.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Meh is in the eye of the beholder as to what it means.  I don't think he's meh, but several replies here just fail to see reality.

He did NOT inherit a bad situation.  Unlike most GMs, he inherited a team that was 8-8 at its five year worst.

He did NOT inherit a terrible roster.  Some in the fan base who judge everything on how strong the Oline is keep saying that Ballard inherited a bad roster just because he inherited a bad oline.  In fact, by the contracts he's about to hand out, he inherited a top 5 LT and a top 5 C, so saying that the oline was bad may not even be accurate.   Not to mention he just resigned Clark who may be finally developing over that big guy Ballard drafted his first year.  Ballard inherited a QB who held the ball too long looking for the chunk play.

Ballard inherited a bad defense and a bad defensive scheme.  Ballard himself set his timeline back by making moves to satisfy that scheme.  He signed Hankins and Simon, then cut them when he changed schemes.  He cut a good player, Henry Anderson, simply because he was not a scheme fit.  He drafted Hooker, who some fans defend the pick, was drafted to play in the 34 man, not our 43 zone....and no....our 43 man deep zone cover 1 was never the intent, but has been an after thought, IMO.

Ballard switched schemes, so whatever roster he inherited and spent capital adding to himself is moot because the players would have all been churned by now because of the scheme change.

Ballard owns this defense.  Its tough to say that he is languishing under the lingering albatross the previous GM gave him.  Whatever albatross there may be, Ballard added to it himself by the decisions he made his first year here.

The QB situation was an unfortunate set back.  Not his fault, kind of like a pandemic.  But his response so far was to sign his backup to a very big contract before the backup even showed much.  Now he's now signed a 38 year old vet to an expensive contract because the unproven backup has shown he never deserved the contract.

The Colts offensive skill positions are probably worse than when he got here, considering we have one TE (the other one he signed flamed out), still no #2, and TY is probably a step slower.

The defense is coming along by making good decisions about value and player selection.  Took pick 13 to make a big step, and that's not unusual or special.  The offense needs to improve the QB and skill positions.  I assume they will be addressed this draft.

Agree GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Archived