Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated Colts Team Needs

EastStreet

A lot has changed in the past week or so..... 

Was just pondering the change to team needs, and draft strategy....

My thoughts....

Before FA                            Now

Primary -                    iDL, QB, OT, WR(X)            CB, WR(X)

Secondary -                iOL, TE                                 QB, iOL, TE

Ancillary -                  Edge, CB, S, WR, iDL          OT, Edge, S, iDL, WR

No Need / Luxury -   RB, LB                                   RB, LB

Thoughts?

Draft strategies, so planning beyond this upcoming season?

Before these moves DT and QB were the top needs. For future planning we've addressed DT, so QB is the biggest need. 

For this upcoming season the biggest needs are WR, CB, and OL depth...and a back up QB 

Good post. I agree pretty much with is.

I think maybe left defensive end is a secondary need. The options at the moment are Lewis, Muhammad and possibly Autry which isnt ideal. I'd like a good power rusher to compliment Turay Houston and Banogu. 

I think with the Buckner and Rivers deals and also Desir being released, I doubt we draft a QB to be honest this year. I think its important now we draft a WR, CB and TE, they are pretty gaping holes. And those new rookies will be required to play alot this year.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Good post. I agree pretty much with is.

I think maybe left defensive end is a secondary need. The options at the moment are Lewis, Muhammad and possibly Autry which isnt ideal. I'd like a good power rusher to compliment Turay Houston and Banogu. 

I think with the Buckner and Rivers deals and also Desir being released, I doubt we draft a QB to be honest this year. I think its important now we draft a WR, CB and TE, they are pretty gaping holes. And those new rookies will be required to play alot this year.

Guess it depends on if the Colts have their eyes on a QB in this year's draft..... 

49 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I’d go OT and CB in the 2nd Rd, because of the WR depth in this draft. 

3rd and 4th Rd look to add WR, TE and or DT. 

While I'm not a big Desir fan, I really don't like dumping him if it translates into us having to take a CB early. I was really hoping to get a QB, WR, TE, and OT in rounds 2 through 4. I'm guessing OT gets pushed since AC is locked in for 2 years. And what happens in the unlikely event that Love somehow drops to 34... 

Starting to really hope Desir re-signs for less.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

While I'm not a big Desir fan, I really don't like dumping him if it translates into us having to take a CB early. I was really hoping to get a QB, WR, TE, and OT in rounds 2 through 4. I'm guessing OT gets pushed since AC is locked in for 2 years. And what happens in the unlikely event that Love somehow drops to 34... 

Starting to really hope Desir re-signs for less.

We signed a QB . no need to draft one now.   I think CB moves above WR only because of the depth at WR in this draft.    I could see CB and TE taken before WR TBH .  But obviously depends on how they fall.   BPA as usual with emphasis on CB TE and then WR 

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

We signed a QB . no need to draft one now.   I think CB moves above WR only because of the depth at WR in this draft.    I could see CB and TE taken before WR TBH .  But obviously depends on how they fall.   BPA as usual with emphasis on CB TE and then WR 

QB is still a big need with nobody under contract past 2020. That's just not a good place to be in unless you think you're going to be in a position to get Fields or Lawrence next year (and we're not likely in a position for either). Rivers is year to year, JB isn't the guy, and the FA class next year isn't good. The only two good ones are CO (club option). The only reason I think you don't take a QB is if either 1) they are quietly confident that Rivers is more than a one year guy, or 2) they quietly have more confidence in Chad Kelly....  

I agree on CB moving past WR, but not because of depth at WR. Cutting Desir just created a big hole. He may not have been great, but he was a starter for a team that plays a lot of 3 CB sets, and his snap count was significant. We just got really thin, really fast. Hope he comes back for less. I still would like to upgrade, but his loss has a big impact to need and strategy.

I'd put outside pass rusher higher. 

Colts have some good ones with Turay, Houston, and Banogu. 

However, Houston is 31 and Turay is coming off a significant ankle-surgery--and the jury is really out on Banogu despite some flashes his rookie year.

That unit could be one injury away from how they were after Turay's injury last year--unable to generate a consistent pass rush. 

20 minutes ago, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

I'd put outside pass rusher higher. 

Colts have some good ones with Turay, Houston, and Banogu. 

However, Houston is 31 and Turay is coming off a significant ankle-surgery--and the jury is really out on Banogu despite some flashes his rookie year.

That unit could be one injury away from how they were after Turay's injury last year--unable to generate a consistent pass rush. 

I almost put edge in the Secondary bucket. I have a feeling we'll sign someone, or bring Sheard back. 

I really don't want another another 2nd or later project Edge. We've taken four 2nd/3rd round DEs in three years. 

9 minutes ago, coltsva said:

OL depth is huge need. Two years in a row of a totally healthy OL seems like a long shot.

That's why I hated losing Haeg. He was a high quality swiss army knife.

We've got plenty of PS guys from waivers, UDFA etc., but I honestly have no clue how any of the have developed. We could have major depth issues, or may not be near as bad as we think if any have developed.

10 hours ago, Superfly said:

I’d go OT and CB in the 2nd Rd, because of the WR depth in this draft. 

3rd and 4th Rd look to add WR, TE and or DT. 

AC has resigned for two years why would OT be addressed with 2 of our first picks? I fully expect those two picks to be WR & CB. 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That's why I hated losing Haeg. He was a high quality swiss army knife.

We've got plenty of PS guys from waivers, UDFA etc., but I honestly have no clue how any of the have developed. We could have major depth issues, or may not be near as bad as we think if any have developed.

Did Haeg sign with somebody?

CB and Safety are big needs. Was surprised by cut. I presume Colts see upgrades in FA  class and may opt to sign a CB who they believe is an upgrade. We are really thin at Safety position. 

I am also surprised that Colts are stating that they would hold on to JB. I would guess we would trade him for a pick and look at QB in draft to groom in either 2nd  or 3rd round.

Primary needs are: CB/S; WR, TE, QB 

Secondary needs:  OL, DL, LB,RB

10 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

CB and Safety are big needs. Was surprised by cut. I presume Colts see upgrades in FA  class and may opt to sign a CB who they believe is an upgrade. We are really thin at Safety position. 

I am also surprised that Colts are stating that they would hold on to JB. I would guess we would trade him for a pick and look at QB in draft to groom in either 2nd  or 3rd round.

Primary needs are: CB/S; WR, TE, QB 

Secondary needs:  OL, DL, LB,RB

I think you'll be a lot happier with S this season with the addition of Buckner. I do agree it'll be a tier 1 need if Geathers doesn't come back. Right now, I'm still predicting they try to work something out, especially given he was a C last year. I could also see them playing Tell at S. IMO, they already use him as a S/CB hybrid, and that may have been the strategy all a long to be honest.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you'll be a lot happier with S this season with the addition of Buckner. I do agree it'll be a tier 1 need if Geathers doesn't come back. Right now, I'm still predicting they try to work something out, especially given he was a C last year. I could also see them playing Tell at S. IMO, they already use him as a S/CB hybrid, and that may have been the strategy all a long to be honest.

I definitely agree our corners and safeties will look better with the addition of Buckner. Getting pressure on the QB is key. 

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I definitely agree our corners and safeties will look better with the addition of Buckner. Getting pressure on the QB is key. 

I think we'll see a whole lot more INTs this year. More ball hawking and less long duration coverage. We've been towards the bottom of the league in pressures for several years, especially the last two IIRC, which has led to us giving up 70% completions the last two years (league worst I think). I think Hooker and Moore get back into the groove, and predict a huge step for Rock.

2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Voting for jack of all DB skills selecting local Indy native Chinn R2 paired with top WR like Claypool.  Should still be a decent TE available in R3.

Chinn is a name that isn't thrown around to much on here. I think he's be a great pick. Ball hawk too.

Archived