Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierre Desir Released

MarquisJ

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s a money saving move to go get Clowney.

Also likely drafting a CB high. I see Trevon Diggs in the 2nd round.

Edit: Desir was also one of his one year wonders that I feel he realizes he crowned too early. He also released Hunt who was the same. I expect Autry to be next.

The Seahawks just offered him a contract, no word if he's taking it or not

2 minutes ago, icf said:

Why?  It’s not like they have an abundance of decent CBs on the roster 

Look, I think a lot of this has to do with now believing they will be able to put immense pressure on the QB next year, allowing the CB's to not have to be superstar corners. Meaning the CB's can be a little forgiving and won't have to be able to cover so long. They might be trying to get clowny, which would bolster this point as well.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just looking over the remaining FA's, i like these fits to our needs.
 Everson Griffin
 Ndam Suh
 Breshad Perriman
 Tyler Eifort.

Mike Person
  Maybe they go with Agholor.

I wouldn’t mind a 1-2 year deal for suh.  Could you imagine a Buckner, Suh Autry rotation!!?!  Houston and Turray on the outside with our depth pieces getting eased into playing time.  Man that would be an impressive line and possibly top 10.  Line backers and Hooker would feast and this D would play fast and cause turnovers and TFLs

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wonder if they really like Marvell Tell... he got a lot more playing time than I expected, especially as a 5th round pick who is transitioning from S in college to CB in NFL. I thought he did fairly well... 

I also expect us to take another CB in the draft. This class actually has some nice players in that R2-R3 range. 

Tell played heavily in only 4 games. Week 8, 9, and 11 when Desir was out, and week 12 when Willis was out. He looked lost at times, which is understandable to an extent, but also flashed some good moments too. He definitely has some skills and raw ability, but not sure he'll ever be anything more than depth or situational. He's definitely a raw project. 

Maybe they're looking at Jimmy Smith or Logan Ryan. Honestly, I'd kinda hate to use a high pick on CB this year. If that's the plan, I would have kept Desir to be honest. I think all of our DBs are going to look better with the addition of Buckner.

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I wouldn’t mind a 1-2 year deal for suh.  Could you imagine a Buckner, Suh Autry rotation!!?!  Houston and Turray on the outside with our depth pieces getting eased into playing time.  Man that would be an impressive line and possibly top 10.  Line backers and Hooker would feast and this D would play fast and cause turnovers and TFLs

And both Suh and Buckner usually demand a double team. Tough choices for other teams line.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Name 1 Pro Bowl CB from the Giants 2007 and 2011 SB winning squads. Name 3 Pro Bowl DL from the Giants 2007 and 2011 SB winning squads. I rest my case. :) 

The Chiefs won the SuperBowl with Tyrann Mathieu and corners that I can’t even name. The front 4 matters. If we get Clowney to go with Houston and Buckner, we should be good back there.

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Suh played 874 snaps last season. Wow! Just thinking he would be an upgrade on 1st down and short yardage. Maybe play 500 snaps or such. A solid piece.

45 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just looking over the remaining FA's, i like these fits to our needs.
 Everson Griffin
 Ndam Suh
 Breshad Perriman
 Tyler Eifort.

Mike Person
  Maybe they go with Agholor.

Griffen makes a lot of sense as a stop gap...though would prefer someone younger.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s a money saving move to go get Clowney.

Also likely drafting a CB high. I see Trevon Diggs in the 2nd round.

Edit: Desir was also one of his one year wonders that I feel he realizes he crowned too early. He also released Hunt who was the same. I expect Autry to be next.

Could (Clowney or another FA) very well be the case . IMO , the cut was made now for one of 2 reasons... or maybe both ?

1) As you said , to clear money for a sizable signing.

or ... and...

2) To give Desir as much time as possible to find another team

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I’d do that deal...if it was only 3 years max.

Colts don't have that much cap room in my opinion.  They were at about $21 million after signing Buckner & Rivers...with the Desir cut now at roughly $28 million.  $18.5+  would be a sizeable chuck of that.  If Clowney is signed, I'd expect another cut at backup QB (Brissett or Hoyer) to follow sometime after.  

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Colts don't have that much cap room in my opinion.  They were at about $21 million after signing Buckner & Rivers...with the Desir cut now at roughly $28 million.  $18.5+  would be a sizeable chuck of that.

Currently the top 51 SC is 29.2. We'll be without either Hoyer or JB (or both), so will likely have somewhere between 4 and 20ish more when that all gets figured out. Autry 5.7M could be another casualty. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We made an offer so we must be serious about signing him.  Seahawks should be the clear cut favorite but the clearing of the Desir cap space at this time has to make you wonder.

Rumor has it the offers were in the 13 to 14 m range and he might take a one year deal. I jump on that if he agreed to play here. The appeal of playing against the Texans has to be appealing.

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

I love Buckner and everything he brings but I personally think we need one more dominant force to really put together everything and with the Turay injury last year things are uncertain. If we could get Clowney man...

I would love to get Clowney as well. The Colts dont have difference makers (On Def Hooker, Leonard, Houston). And young difference makers cost money. By adding Buckner, it gives us an immediate difference maker. Folks are against Clowney (Former #1 overall pick, 27 years young) asking for a high price but love signing Philip Rivers (Former #4 overall pick, 38 years old, $25 Mill).

Philip Rivers played an entire season without any significant injury and still sucked. As a Playoff starting QB, you need to raise the play of your entire team, even if that means putting them on your back, not catching temper tantrums on the sidelines, because you decide to throw in 3 man coverage. At least JB was 5-2 before his injury and even had MVP talk nationally. And from what i'm told, is a great locker room leader. JB have some-what of an excuse for his late season performance mainly injury related. I would rather pay a younger guy 7 out of 10 times.

What did Chiefs do last year to add to their existing squad? Add difference makers

* Tyrann Mathieu 27 years old (tied 2nd in tackles in Superbowl)

* Frank Clark 26 years old (Sack in Superbowl)

* Bashaud Breeland 28 years old (Int in Superbowl, and leading team tackler)

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

He ain’t going nowhere 

JB and/or the other QBs on the roster might be the difference between a mid-tier and marquee FA signing right now, IMO. The QB position is where I anticipate the next set of cuts happening.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

JB and/or the other QBs on the roster might be the difference between a mid-tier and marquee FA signing right now, IMO. The QB position is where I anticipate the next set of cuts happening.

I agree..... but I just don’t think the colts will cut him. Ballard’s always talked about having a good backup. Will believe it, when I see it. 

Archived