Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the season is canceled

No idea where to post this because it deals with NFL and also contract and drafting issues. 

So if the season is canceled,  What happens to all the contracts this yr?  Are they extended another yr?   Do the players just not get paid this yr?

Next line of thought.  Do teams change their draft strategy and maybe grab a more developmental player this yr knowing they have extra yr to refine them?    Because if they do cancel the season,  the move to pick up a developmental QB like Love, Hurts, Eason, Gordon would have been a better move than signing Rivers.  

What would be the draft order next yr?  Same as this yr?   IF so imagine the trade scenarios that could take place.  Cincy would get back to back #1 picks!  I wonder if teams are thinking about this and considering trades for next yrs draft picks.

What about the college guys?   With no season Do they just become eligible for the draft or do they actually have to play the yr to meet requirements for the draft or no underclassmen can declare?

Thoughts, concerns, comments?

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

No idea where to post this because it deals with NFL and also contract and drafting issues. 

So if the season is canceled,  What happens to all the contracts this yr?  Are they extended another yr?   Do the players just not get paid this yr?

Considering all the lawyers who have their grimy paws on these NFL  $$$ matters.... I would think that there must (or should be) some sort of language regarding catastrophic events. :dunno:

Next line of thought.  Do teams change their draft strategy and maybe grab a more developmental player this yr knowing they have extra yr to refine them?    Because if they do cancel the season,  the move to pick up a developmental QB like Love, Hurts, Eason, Gordon would have been a better move than signing Rivers.

If the season is cancelled....we're all probably in really deep kimchi... how and when do we "refine them?

What would be the draft order next yr?  Same as this yr?   IF so imagine the trade scenarios that could take place.  Cincy would get back to back #1 picks!  I wonder if teams are thinking about this and considering trades for next yrs draft picks.

The Bengals select..... Trevor Lawrence and Chase Young. :td:

What about the college guys?   With no season Do they just become eligible for the draft or do they actually have to play the yr to meet requirements for the draft or no underclassmen can declare?

Maybe some sort of "one-time" waiver to those rules, agreed upon by NFL owners and the NFLPA?

30 minutes ago, Archer said:

Very little chance of the season being cancelled.  This virus will easily have run its course by that time, IMHO....

Hate to say it, but I see just the opposite.  I would say there is slim-to-no chance they're out at training camp in July with the season starting on time.  Best case scenario is some kind of 8-10 game schedule with the Super Bowl pushed back to the beginning of March.  I'm sure they are working on a variety of contingency plans as we speak.  

For numerous reasons, I have a hard time seeing any college football.

45 minutes ago, #12. said:

Hate to say it, but I see just the opposite.  I would say there is slim-to-no chance they're out at training camp in July with the season starting on time.  Best case scenario is some kind of 8-10 game schedule with the Super Bowl pushed back to the beginning of March.  I'm sure they are working on a variety of contingency plans as we speak.  

For numerous reasons, I have a hard time seeing any college football.

The start of training camp and off season training will be the determining factor IMO.  I agree that I could see a shortened season if it drags out.   Local reports from our hospital drs (my wife works at a hospital)  is that the peak is predicted around 1st of June.   Obviously that is just the peak which would mean normal activity still wouldn't be back right away.   TBH we are going to see a lot more cases pop up because more people are being tested now.  But I dont think that means that more are catching the virus, it just means they have actual reports now.

Anyway, I am very curious how the season will impact the players contracts, the FA signings and the college football season for next yr including the draft

For a 10 game season, I'd say play your division twice (6 games). All teams from south play all teams from one other division (let's say AFC east)/(west and north would also play). This keeps it a 100% fair schedule.

Then 1st & 2nd place teams in each division get in playoffs, with no byes. Crossover playoffs with 1 vs 2 for first round.

Here in Australia the 2 major football codes (Rugby League and Australian Rules) have just started their seasons playing to empty stadiums with live TV coverage.  It's really weird watching a game at the MCG (capacity 100,000) and the stands are empty--you also get to hear every word said on field, which can cause issues for the producers.

I don’t think the season will be cancelled. But I do think there is a big chance of a shortened training camp and off season programs. It might be a three week training camp and jump right into the season. That will benefit teams like the colts because of familiarity. It’s also possible this has worked itself out by middle or end of May and they start off season programs. There is no way to know.  But like most viruses this will probably work itself out with warmer weather and run its course.

As a news guy...   the word I’m hearing is that we’re about to be hit with the worst two months.  April and May.   But the hope is the impact will be much less, much better, by June.   This is based on what happened in China where things are already getting better.    

Scary to think April and May could be worse — maybe much worse.   But if we can get through that hopefully June and July will see a dramatic change for the better.   Maybe much better.

We may not have much of an off-season, but I think we have a better than 50-50 chance of having a season. 

IF that treatment proves to be effective everything will get back to normal. 55,000 people die of the flu every year. Death rate for this is already going way down. With more tests it will probably come down to the .5 range. We are nowhere near having the same amount as the flu. Looks like italy didn’t code cause of  death correct and it’s under 500 deaths there. Cases are leveling off at about 2500 each day and the deaths are not going up much. 

Players don’t even like OTA so if they get minicamp by June they will be happy.

With more tests cases will get isolated to stop the spread. I won’t be surprised if college players get to travel a week or two before the draft.

2 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I read a story that people are returning to work in China after two months. Even if they play games with no fans, I expect the season to be played.

Not sure how the Chinese govt persuaded people back to work....CDE6E30A-6BFD-483F-8AE2-C02E949E5BC6.jpeg.9370db36d5a2498cb9443bcf88ad2236.jpeg

Moody’s estimated that the virus disruption would be over by July.  Of course, that was the same report that estimated only a 30% chance that it would be declared a pandemic in the US (which it has).  Only one opinion, but we certainly seem to be taking it more seriously than Italy, etc., and all the closures and isolation should help us.  I really think it’ll play out by early June, but we’ll see...

On 3/21/2020 at 6:08 PM, Archer said:

Very little chance of the season being cancelled.  This virus will easily have run its course by that time, IMHO....

Don't be too sure about that. Not that it's impossible the pandemic dies down and it's all good by September but... Cuomo just stated that noone really knows how long this will last but he said "we are in the 4-6-9 months range". The lower range might be workable for the NFL... the higher range... might go past new years. 

Again... keep in mind this is JUST STARTING. And the goal right now is to flatten the curve... the more you flatten the curve the longer this one might last. And this is the preferable option. You have to spread the cases over longer period of time, otherwise tons and tons of preventable deaths will happen simply because the healthcare system won't be able to take care of a lot of people who need help. 

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

IF that treatment proves to be effective everything will get back to normal. 55,000 people die of the flu every year. Death rate for this is already going way down. With more tests it will probably come down to the .5 range. We are nowhere near having the same amount as the flu. Looks like italy didn’t code cause of  death correct and it’s under 500 deaths there. Cases are leveling off at about 2500 each day and the deaths are not going up much. 

Players don’t even like OTA so if they get minicamp by June they will be happy.

With more tests cases will get isolated to stop the spread. I won’t be surprised if college players get to travel a week or two before the draft.

I think theres a genuine danger of people downplaying this. Forget the stats, look at some of the news reports from inside the Italian health service and it's truly frightening. 

More tests are only half the battle. This thing is going to keep coming in peaks and troughs until a vaccine is found. I can certainly see the start of the NFL season being seriously affected.

21 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think theres a genuine danger of people downplaying this. Forget the stats, look at some of the news reports from inside the Italian health service and it's truly frightening. 

More tests are only half the battle. This thing is going to keep coming in peaks and troughs until a vaccine is found. I can certainly see the start of the NFL season being seriously affected.

It turns out that the deaths in Italy from the virus were not correct. We aren’t Italy. I wish people would stop. Almost all the cases today that are reported new are from NY. 2000 are the rest of the country.  It’s one thing to down play it but that isn’t what I am doing. It’s about being smart and protecting yourself and people around you. There is a huge danger in taking this to far and wrecking lives and forcing people into poverty. All I am saying is where is the balance. We can balance the danger without destroying our counties economy. 

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It turns out that the deaths in Italy from the virus were not correct. We aren’t Italy. I wish people would stop. Almost all the cases today that are reported new are from NY. 2000 are the rest of the country.  It’s one thing to down play it but that isn’t what I am doing. It’s about being smart and protecting yourself and people around you. There is a huge danger in taking this to far and wrecking lives and forcing people into poverty. All I am saying is where is the balance. We can balance the danger without destroying our counties economy. 

I don't think you can. Not with this disease. The pictures from spring breaka and the Miami beaches was madness.

I don't know why people in the US think that what happened in Italy can't happen there. Italy are just further along the curve but have taken drastic action that a lot of people in the US probably won't abide.

So .  I own my own internet/TV company.  I have the Corona Virus Channel.   Yea crazy huh?

Anyway I can see every counties statistics.

As of right now in the US 

26892 cases 

348 deaths

178 recoverd

Worldwide

311,611 cases

13,080 deaths

95,813 recovered

If you dont hear from me for a while it's because I got banned again for talking about my business even though its legal and  well  whatever.  

If you want any statistics from any country I can post them.

I'd post a picture but havent figured it out yet

Love you Nadine!

Archived