Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and pats in trade talks for Brissett?

CR91

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We would be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.  

If we're trading him away, I am thinking we are giving up draft capital to get them to take his roster bonus off our hands.  

But you know the Pats gave us a small amount of draft capital for Dwayne Allen.  If we can get something for Brissett I will be extremely happy. 

10 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

Just for laughs I hope it's for Dorsett 

Well I posted my crazy trade scenario a few days ago but I'm kinda hoping they throw in a bigger asset and pick up one of the Patriots several talented cornerbacks.  JC Jackson would be ideal.

6 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I don’t think this is credible. Also, mentions the Pats, think Brissett maybe released by Sunday, to be signed outright. 

Hope it happens though. 

Because Brissett is due 7 mil by Sunday

Just now, ColtJax said:

If not I'd keep him, 5 million isn't a lot for an experienced back up. I know it's more than 5, but he's already going to get the rest, saving 5 million isn't enough.

He’s the 13th highest paid QB in 2020.

Somethings gotta happen. 

2 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

If not I'd keep him, 5 million isn't a lot for an experienced back up. I know it's more than 5, but he's already going to get the rest, saving 5 million isn't enough.

That's just his roster bonus. His cap hit is 21 mil

We may not hear anything from rivers like we did Buckner until Jacoby is gone.

This is a good spot for him. He will have the chance to compete for the starting job. Our luck he will end up being really good lol. 

It said if colts cut him the patriots are confident they could still sign him. I bet this is where he ends up.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My opinion this news is a bunch of pure nonsense speculation. Two of the most tight lipped GMs in the league....I highly doubt negotiations are getting out to the media.

It's agents more times than GMs that leak info. But many FO personnel use leaks as currency with the media all the time. And we did here all kinds of smoke about Rivers before he signed.

57 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Get one you can for him....plus he'd be going to a good familiar place too. 

Colts would get something, shed salary and Brissett would go to a familiar place. That's a win win for all parties. 

The rivalry is back on.  If they want him Ballard should insist on one of their 3rd. rd Comp picks. They should pony up for all of the reasons you mentioned.  Familiarity is going to be huge this year especially if there is no summer training camps or a late start.  That's worth a lot at the QB position.  They can pay for it.  If they say no ship him to another team for a lower pick or hold on to him until we receive another offer.  No hurry.  Ballard said he wanted him as Rivers backup.  Just cut Hoyer instead.  

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The rivalry is back on.  If they want him Ballard should insist on one of their 3rd. rd Comp picks. They should pony up for all of the reasons you mentioned.  Familiarity is going to be huge this year especially if there is no summer training camps or a late start.  That's worth a lot at the QB position.  They can pay for it.  If they say no ship him to another team for a lower pick or hold on to him until we receive another offer.  No hurry.  Ballard said he wanted him as Rivers backup.  Just cut Hoyer instead.  

Nah, do what's best for JB. 

It's more important to get him in the best place and relieve the salary, than to play hardball. 

And nah, the rivalry is not back on lol. Maybe it turns back on this off season, but not yet.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s very possible there may only be a few weeks of training camp this year before the season starts. I saw a tweet about how teams like the colts are going to have a advantage. Especially good we have rivers who the coaches already know and a system should be very familiar. We will probably know more by May how much it gets pushed back. Hopefully they will still get mini camp in June and things will stabilize.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's more important to get him in the best place and relieve the salary, than to play hardball. 

And nah, the rivalry is not back on lol. Maybe it turns back on this off season, but not yet.

Nah,  I disagree.  Do what's best for the team.  We are in the drivers seat.  Not the Pats.  If they want him they pay out price.  If not he's our backup.  Ballard said he was perfectly fine with that. Just cut Hoyer.   

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

This was a quote from Ballard when there were talks about trading Jacoby when Luck came back healthy a couple seasons ago.

“It would take somebody doing something that would blow me away, and it has to be the right thing for the kid, too,” Ballard said. “I’m not just sending him anywhere.”

“He is a special, special teammate,” Ballard said. “He’s well-respected throughout the locker room, both offensively and defensively.”

“This is what I told Jacoby: ‘I’m not giving you away. I won’t do it,’” Ballard said. “I had chances last year, and I didn’t do it, and I won’t do it again. It would have to be right for the organization and for him.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/14/chris-ballard-indianapolis-colts-need-blown-away-trade-jacoby-brissett/2568668002/

Obviously, it's a very different situation now with us signing Rivers to take over for Jacoby.  While Jacoby would probably be a top 3 ranked backup QB in the NFL, I think signing Rivers is a very strong indicator that Ballard doesn't think he's the long-term answer for this franchise.  That said, I imagine Ballard would still want to do what's right for Jacoby.  New England makes a lot of sense, he's familiar there, with Belichek as his coach there's a decent chance he'd have a shot at winning the AFC East, etc. etc. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s very possible there may only be a few weeks of training camp this year before the season starts. I saw a tweet about how teams like the colts are going to have a advantage. Especially good we have rivers who the coaches already know and a system should be very familiar. We will probably know more by May how much it gets pushed back. Hopefully they will still get mini camp in June and things will stabilize.

Exactly.  That's why BB is hot for JB.  Same reason.  We are in the drivers seat here.  He's worth more to the Pats right now.  I hope Ballard plays hard ball.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Nah,  I disagree.  Do what's best for the team.  We are in the drivers seat.  Not the Pats.  If they want him they pay out price.  If not he's our backup.  Ballard said he was perfectly fine with that. Just cut Hoyer.   

With Hoyer and Kelly on our roster, it's very likely we'll have at least one pretty capable backup QB when the season starts.

Brissett's play in either year of being our starting QB likely doesn't warrant a 3rd round pick.  We're trading a player that many teams in the NFL saw play and probably feel is a very competent backup, but unless on a team loaded with talent cannot win a division championship (let alone a Superbowl) as a starter.  Belichek and NE would be the team where Jacoby would have the highest likelihood of success (IMO).  

Listen to Rob Ninkovich on Pat McAfee Show if you want to learn more about how Belichek negotiates.  If Belichek thinks a 5th rounder is worth it for Brissett, he's not going to bend and give up a 3rd round pick (IMO).  There are other options for them who Belichek could figure out a way to win with if he had to.  

It could be a pretty awkward situation if Brissett stays on this team.  I think a 4th round pick for Jacoby would be a reach.  A 5th round is better than nothing.  Ballard/Reich/etc. made it very clear to Brissett that they view him as a backup QB by signing Rivers.  Backup QBs aren't worth 3rd round picks.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We can save 15M by moving him. That's what is arguably best for the team as it would open things up and let us get needed help in other areas. And paying that much for a back up simply doesn't make good financial sense when you have just brought in a 25M starter. 

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

With Hoyer and Kelly on our roster, it's very likely we'll have at least one pretty capable backup QB when the season starts.

Brissett's play in either year of being our starting QB likely doesn't warrant a 3rd round pick.  We're trading a player that many teams in the NFL saw play and probably feel is a very competent backup, but unless on a team loaded with talent cannot win a division championship (let alone a Superbowl) as a starter.  Belichek and NE would be the team where Jacoby would have the highest likelihood of success (IMO).  

Listen to Rob Ninkovich on Pat McAfee Show if you want to learn more about how Belichek negotiates.  If Belichek thinks a 5th rounder is worth it for Brissett, he's not going to bend and give up a 3rd round pick (IMO).  There are other options for them who Belichek could figure out a way to win with if he had to.  

It could be a pretty awkward situation if Brissett stays on this team.  I think a 4th round pick for Jacoby would be a reach.  A 5th round is better than nothing.  Ballard/Reich/etc. made it very clear to Brissett that they view him as a backup QB by signing Rivers.  Backup QBs aren't worth 3rd round picks.

The Pats are the exception.  If he goes there he starts.   For them one of their 3rd rd comp picks is a small price to pay for a starter who already knows their system and can play right away.  He's not their long term answer but BB can tailor the team to his strengths and win with him while he works on getting the longterm answer.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Pats are the exception.  If he goes there he starts.   For them one of their 3rd rd comp picks is a small price to pay for a starter who already knows their system and can play right away.  He's not their long term answer but BB can tailor the team to his strengths and win with him while he works on getting the longterm answer.  

There's a glut of QBs this year. Not saying all are quality, but BB has options. Dalton, Winston, Flacco, JB, Stidham, and the draft. It's not like JB is a no-brainer best option. He's 3 years removed and familiar with BB's system, that's all. BB will tailor things regardless of who he chooses, even JB.

28 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

This was a quote from Ballard when there were talks about trading Jacoby when Luck came back healthy a couple seasons ago.

“It would take somebody doing something that would blow me away, and it has to be the right thing for the kid, too,” Ballard said. “I’m not just sending him anywhere.”

“He is a special, special teammate,” Ballard said. “He’s well-respected throughout the locker room, both offensively and defensively.”

“This is what I told Jacoby: ‘I’m not giving you away. I won’t do it,’” Ballard said. “I had chances last year, and I didn’t do it, and I won’t do it again. It would have to be right for the organization and for him.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/01/14/chris-ballard-indianapolis-colts-need-blown-away-trade-jacoby-brissett/2568668002/

Obviously, it's a very different situation now with us signing Rivers to take over for Jacoby.  While Jacoby would probably be a top 3 ranked backup QB in the NFL, I think signing Rivers is a very strong indicator that Ballard doesn't think he's the long-term answer for this franchise.  That said, I imagine Ballard would still want to do what's right for Jacoby.  New England makes a lot of sense, he's familiar there, with Belichek as his coach there's a decent chance he'd have a shot at winning the AFC East, etc. etc. 

Yup, very different situation now. And very different cap situation too. Back then, there was still the belief JB might be the guy, so held more value. I'm not saying give away, but I'd take a 5th plus salary relief in heartbeat, also knowing it's the best thing for JB too. Playing hardball for a 3rd to me is silly. It would be nice to get another mid pick since we lost the 6th for Hairston. 

Archived