Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Pelissero] Colts re-sign OL Le'Raven Clark

stitches

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So the guy that is always inactive is re-signed over the guy that plays all five positions on the line. I don't get this 

I am thinking Haeg figured that he would never start here and wanted someplace where he had the chance to compete for a starting job.  

I think Clark was more happy accepting a backup role.  

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

how much?

1 year - 2.3 Mil

Something we could easily have afforded.  But I don't think this was a question of Ballard deciding not to offer the contract.  I think it was an issue of Haeg wanting to go someplace and compete to start.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am thinking Haeg figured that he would never start here and wanted someplace where he had the chance to compete for a starting job.  

I get that, but imo we lost a more valuable part to the line to a very cheap deal

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I get that, but imo we lost a more valuable part to the line to a very cheap deal

Yes but nothing you can do if he doesn't want to sign here because his role would always be "backup".

Now if Ballard came out and said that he just didn't want Haeg back and liked Clark better I would be wondering what he was thinking.  But Ballard can't promise a starting job that doesn't exist to Haeg.  

27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So the guy that is always inactive is re-signed over the guy that plays all five positions on the line. I don't get this 

You could only have 2 active OL on game day. Do you Get That? Obviously you don't.
  Haeg was our 3rd string center. And not very good at anything else.
   With the expanded roster i expect 8 will dress most game days now.
   I'm raven for LRaven. He is a better LT than Haeg BTW.
   We still need a solid backup C/G. A good T/G. And the draft will get us a solid T/G. 

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

1 year - 2.3 Mil

Something we could easily have afforded.  But I don't think this was a question of Ballard deciding not to offer the contract.  I think it was an issue of Haeg wanting to go someplace and compete to start.  

Thanks, and I agree. I wish him well, just wish he was here. He had a lot of flexibility.

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I believe there is a lot of truth in this.  Haeg is a capable starter.  He'll get that chance in Tampa.  Clark is a good play but, nothing more than a fill in/backup.  I hate losing Haeg but, it's the nature of the beast.  

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You could only have 2 active OL on game day. Do you Get That? Obviously you don't.
   I'm raven for LRaven.

Expanded roster?  Did they increase the roster size in the new CBA?

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm raven for LRaven.

Might wanna take it easy with the jack there buddy

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

My only question would be why?

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. We know what he gives us...and taking a chance on a backup of his level in FA...very very suspect what you will get.

As for why him over Haeg. Haeg took less money on a 1 yr deal for a better chance to start and earn a bigger payday next season. It isn't like we didn't want him back.

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You’re assuming we didn’t make a good enough effort to bring back Haeg.   Remember, not only is Florida without state tax, but Haeg has a good shot at starting there and can add another million in incentives.  Plus, there’s now the whole Brady thing.  

Im sure we wanted him back.   TB just a better opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. We know what he gives us...and taking a chance on a backup of his level in FA...very very suspect what you will get.

As for why him over Haeg. Haeg took less money on a 1 yr deal for a better chance to start and earn a bigger payday next season. It isn't like we didn't want him back.

Yeah I get the Haeg situation.  

Fair enough Clark.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re assuming we didn’t make a good enough effort to bring back Haeg.   Remember, not only is Florida without state tax, but Haeg has a good shot at starting there and can add another million in incentives.  Plus, there’s now the whole Brady thing.  

Im sure we wanted him back.   TB just a better opportunity. 

No, there are definitely a lot of good reasons to go to Tampa right now.

We all wanted Haeg back but there was no way it was happening with him wanting a starting job. There was nothing we could do besides cutting Glow and promoting Haeg to that spot if we wanted to keep him. 

Even though Clark didn’t pan out as we’d hoped when we drafted him, he’s still a body, cheap, and has a number of games and seasons under his belt. Plus he does have position flexibility; we have played him at guard. I feel a lot better having him as our backup swing lineman than a bunch of UDFAs and CFL/Arena League no names. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yes but nothing you can do if he doesn't want to sign here because his role would always be "backup".

Now if Ballard came out and said that he just didn't want Haeg back and liked Clark better I would be wondering what he was thinking.  But Ballard can't promise a starting job that doesn't exist to Haeg.  

Clark is only better at LT IMO. I also think Ballard likes Haeg better as he has always said he does because of his versatility. I am now a little worried about the guard depth now. Possibility Clark can play some guard? Not sure?

If Chaz Green can ever live up to his draft status (91 overall) he can be a help at a Guard spot (he can't play tackle in the NFL), 7 starts over 3 seasons with last year a wasted one. He has been so injury prone but was a stud down here at UF. Patterson should be backup Center if his ACL is healed, dont think any others currently on roster can or will stick. Brandon Hitner is too light in lower body, Andrew Donnel has shown very little,Cedrick Lang the same (At 6'9 just too tall), Travis Vornkahl just too light at under 290.

49 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Clark is only better at LT IMO. I also think Ballard likes Haeg better as he has always said he does because of his versatility. I am now a little worried about the guard depth now. Possibility Clark can play some guard? Not sure?

I’m glad you pointed out Clark being good at LT. I hope he continues to practice only at that. I’ve said since the start to just keep him there. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Haeg wants to play, that's obvious.  He's got a shot at being a starter for a team which just got Brady and has a LOT of talent.  The OL coach in Tampa Bay is Joe Gilbert, who was the assistant OL coach in Indy when during Haeg's first two seasons.  Could be plenty of reasons why he found Tampa Bay more attractive than Indy.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yep... and not even for tons of money. 

Rumor has it (The Pat McAfee Show is my main source) that a lot of FA players right now are letting Tampa Bay know they'd sign there for cheaper than elsewhere since they signed Brady.  $2.3 mil (potentially $3.3 mil) in one year is a ton of money to most people.  A chance to be a starter on a team w/ Brady as QB vs. a bench warmer with Rivers as QB may not be worth an additional $500k if the individual's goal is to play and win a Superbowl in 1 year.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

The cheap deal (as explained above) could have been Haeg's choosing for a variety of reasons.  I doubt Ballard told him he was not valued for the Colts.

Also, Ballard/Reich want to be a top 5 running team.  We've built our line with very powerful guys who are road graders.  While I greatly appreciate the value Haeg had to this team, his biggest knock has always been his lack of ability to develop his strength.  TBH, he's probably a better fit in the O that Arians and Leftwich are running in TB (especially to be counted on as a full-time starter).  IMO, Haeg is a more effective pass protector than run blocker.  We know Arians likes to air it out and I'm sure with the addition of Brady, they'll be a pass-first team.

Clark played well when he had to replace Costanzo.  It was well known he was a project pick with good physical tools.  In some ways, he fits more of the philosophy of Reich/Ballard.  I believe Clark can play both T positions and probably G if the team absolutely needed it.  

I, personally, think Clark is still a work in progress... but the coaching staff must see that he's making enough progress that they brought him back.  Haeg, I'm pretty sure we saw his ceiling.

Granted he's going into his 5th season, so it should be time for him to really be ready as a pro.. but this is from Clark's nfl.com draft profile:

"

SOURCES TELL US

"He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director"

Here's an excerpt from Haeg's:

"BOTTOM LINE

While the pedigree and the body type look the part, continued tape study begins to uncover core strength issues that permeate several facets of his game. As a run blocker, his inability to drive and sustain blocks is a concern while his pass protection shows a good, initial pass set that turns into leaning to make up for his lack of anchor. While Haeg has the athletic traits of a zone blocking tackle, it won't matter without better functional power."

Archived