Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many interceptions will rivers throw

Stephen

How many interceptions will rivers throw?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. How many interceptions will rivers throw?

• 20 or more
    • 15 to 20
    • 10 to 15
    • Under 10
    • Over 9000

Old Chargers fan here and hello Colts fans.

Rivers will not disappoint this fan base with your O-line. Give the brother a TE-WR & slot WR and enjoy the fireworks.

Seriously Rivers still has game to take this team to the promised land and as a broken Chargers fan I wish Rivers and the Colts fan base the very best of luck. Rivers deserves a ring and I look forward to checking into this forum to see you all celebrate.

Trumpet_Man

On 3/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, chad72 said:

In the 3 years Reich and Siranni worked with him, 13, 18 and 11 INTs were his tallies.

My Bolts had seriously crap O-Lines during that time frame. Rivers is lucky to be still upright. Give Rivers a great O-Line which you folks have and watch out. Rivers needs reps with the WR's and TE's to understand how each reads defenses and bada bing. Rivers is an animal and I am bummed as a "Broken" Bolt fan Rivers is gone. Your backup QB Brissett needs some polish but is another animal who has mad game. I dig Brissett as an NFL fan and I hope Colts fans do as well.

Like Trumpet_Man, who I recognize from other forums, I am a old Chargers & new Colts fan because of Philip Rivers. When given decent pass protection and even the threat of a running game, he plays like a top-5 NFL quarterback. During his better seasons, he rarely turned the ball over. I believe he’ll make a focused effort to avoid it next season, given the multitude of them last season and the fact that it’s his 1st year with a new team, and if he really craps the bed then there won’t be a 2nd one. You can’t really prevent outstanding defensive plays (like Malik Hooker’s brilliant 1 handed snag in Week 1 of last season) and if he really trusts a receiver, he’ll have some passes intercepted trying to get it to them, especially on 50/50 balls but he often fits it into windows that few other QBs would even attempt. Both the Chargers & the Colts lost some close, 1 score games last season that could’ve gone either way. In 2018, most of those game broke our way and last year they didn’t, for a variety of reasons.

Ex- Charger fan here.  In 2018 Rivers had a crappy Oline, yet still managed to have an MVP year(would've won MVP had Mahomes not emerged).

In 2019, they lost Pouncey and Okung for long periods.  That Oline went from bad to trash real quick.  The significant increase in INT was due to constant pressure and getting murdered in the pocket.  NFL Game Pass is free.  I'd encourage you to watch the Steelers game and Vikings game to see how awful that oline was.  Or any of the other games for that matter.

Rivers is finally getting a few things he hasn't had in forever.  Good Coach(hasn't had since Marty 06), top oline(hasn't had since 2009), good run game(2007), and with the addition of Buckner I'd imagine your D won't be bad.  With a well balanced team(something Rivers really hasn't had since first few years), I don't think he'll be forced to play hero ball, chucking up deep passes into triple coverage to try and keep game alive.  Lynn's coaching style was very poor and used up all 40 seconds of each play, limiting number of possessions.  Their play calling was also predictable - run, run, throw on 3rd and long.  Didn't take a defensive mastermind to shut them down.

I'd imagine Rivers will be in great form next year.  I think decent yardage, solid increase in TD's, and low amount of INT.  I am truly hoping he can show the world he isn't washed up, and that the Chargers are just a garbage organization that didn't know how to win with a future HoF QB.

My fellow Rivers fans obviously know, as do I, because we've watched every second of every game he's played (at least I have). Two things throughout his career have been the overwhelming reasons for most of the picks he has thrown.

1. This sometimes obsessive need he has to never give in on, or lose, anything. And I mean anything, including each and every play. Which means he'll throw it in there if there's no other option on the play, just because he can't allow himself to admit that the other team won that play. Not even one single play. This trait of his, while admirable at times, can be quite frustrating at others. But it's part of the package you get with Philip.
  2. For all but his first 2 years starting in 2006 and 2007, an at best junior college level offensive line, and at times a crappy high school level one. And no, I'm not exaggerating. And yes, that's how phenomenally great he's been for most of his career, that he has consistently produced at such high levels, year in and year out, with the utter garbage that Mickey Mouse outfit put in front of him the last 12 years of his time there.

All that said, in his 14 years as the starter there, he had only 2 seasons with fewer than 10 picks. So even with a great offensive line for the first time ever, my guess is he'll still throw a few that make you yell his name in various degrees of anger, ha ha, so I picked the 10 - 15 range.  But with as complete a team as he'll have around him, where he hopefully isn't having to start most drives inside his 20, or move the team where most series of downs end up in 3rd and 8+ to convert, like he has unfortunately for most of his career been subjected to, I'll be very surprised if the Colts aren't among the league leaders in many offensive categories. Whether he throws 30+ TDs, or just moves the team downfield for the running game to eventually punch it in most of the time, it won't matter to him (because he really doesn't care).

On 3/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, Superman said:

It's an open poll.

And thanks for the permission to use this message board for group discussion. Not sure what we would have done without you.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:06 PM, Superman said:

Next to each option, there's the number of people who voted. Click on that number.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:20 PM, Superman said:

??

Maybe it's a moderator function? If so, my bad. 

Apology accepted . :hat:

Archived